LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 207 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

All Things Hockey:

Offline  Re: All Things Hockey:
Posted: March 30, 2018, 8:53 AM Post
Only in hockey does this happen right?

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/look ... ound-jets/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 30, 2018, 3:42 PM Post
Juuse Saros is a damn gem.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 31, 2018, 12:05 AM Post
Yea, has a beaut.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 08, 2018, 8:08 AM Post
Badger fan number one but my Alma mater UMD Bulldogs just pulled off a mini miracle to win the national championship. Crazy. Probably shouldn’t of even been in the tourney.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 18, 2018, 2:13 PM Post
The Point Mallard Ducks of Decatur, Alabama have moved to Milwaukee to become the Milwaukee Power. The NA3HL team will begin play in the 2018-19 season at an undetermined location.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 18, 2018, 5:44 PM Post
trwi7 said:
The Point Mallard Ducks of Decatur, Alabama have moved to Milwaukee to become the Milwaukee Power. The NA3HL team will begin play in the 2018-19 season at an undetermined location.

Sweet. Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 04, 2018, 7:36 PM Post
I just can’t get behind Vegas ... doesn’t seem fair to long suffering fan bases.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 06, 2018, 11:15 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
nodakfan17 said:
I just can’t get behind Vegas ... doesn’t seem fair to long suffering fan bases.

It's kind of crazy how the Capitals were the underdog coming into this series. Nobody (outside of Vegas) wants the Knights to win, especially since they are going up against one of the longest suffering hockey fan bases.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 07, 2018, 5:37 PM Post
https://247sports.com/college/illinois/ ... -118843301

Article on the possibility of the U of Illinois getting a Divison One men’s hockey team. This would be great news for the Big Ten.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 07, 2018, 8:33 PM Post
paul253 said:
https://247sports.com/college/illinois/Article/Illinois-Fighting-Illini-athletics-director-Josh-Whitman-increasingly-confident-in-adding-Division-I-hockey-program-118843301

Article on the possibility of the U of Illinois getting a Divison One men’s hockey team. This would be great news for the Big Ten.

Iowa might not be too much longer. New arena going in close to campus that will have a new ushl team but could also hold a D1 program. It’ll be interesting.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 08, 2018, 3:52 PM Post
The biggest expense associated with adding D1 Men’s Hockey? Adding D1 Women’s Hockey. Expansion is great for college hockey, but i just don’t think it’s feasible for many schools.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 08, 2018, 9:54 PM Post
They should be able to add men’s hockey without adding women’s. Add another women’s sport without adding hockey.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2018, 5:29 AM Post
Actually, it’s probably easier to add 18 different scholarships to existing women’s sports, but it’s a delicate balance. I believe there’s still a back door way for female students to force the school to add hockey either through a petition or an annual survey. There are different routes to Title IX compliance and it depends on which route the school has chosen.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2018, 7:29 PM Post
Might as well add women's hockey if you have the facility.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 09, 2018, 8:36 PM Post
stoutdude04 said:
Might as well add women's hockey if you have the facility.

The game just doesn’t have enough growth to keep adding these programs. Not only that but absolutely no one shows up to these games even though they are free. You just cannot sustain that and really shouldn’t have to.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 10, 2018, 10:32 AM Post
Even if you have a great facility that is capable of hosting men’s and women’s college hockey, you’d be forgoing other revenue by hosting poorly attended women’s hockey games. Ice time is expensive and other groups are willing to pay to use your university’s facilities for their own competitions. The University of North Dakota has no problem renting out their ice when the men’s team is on the road. They book various youth hockey tournaments, curling and figure skating competitions, and concerts. Not only does this help generate revenue for the university, but it also creates part time jobs for current students and helps showcase the campus to prospective students who visit for these activities.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 08, 2018, 2:11 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Michigan has 7 Division 1 hockey programs in the state
Minnesota has 5
Wisconsin has just 1.

Any chance any other school in Wisconsin could become a D1 program? Ever? I admittedly do not know the politics, money, or policy behind those decisions, but needless to say places like UMD and Lake Superior State dont strike me as otherwise D1 schools...so....???

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 08, 2018, 6:56 PM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
Minnesota has 5
Wisconsin has just 1.

Any chance any other school in Wisconsin could become a D1 program? Ever? I admittedly do not know the politics, money, or policy behind those decisions, but needless to say places like UMD and Lake Superior State dont strike me as otherwise D1 schools...so....???

I believe the reason why there are so many D1 hockey schools in Michigan and Minnesota is because most of their smaller public universities have D2 athletic programs, whereas most UW schools have D3 athletic programs. Since there is no D2 college hockey (just D1 and D3), the D2 hockey programs have been effectively grandfathered into D1. In order for one of Wisconsin’s very successful D3 hockey programs to go D1, they’d have to elevate their entire athletic program to D2 and give up all of their existing conference ties. It is technically possible to remain at D3 and sponsor D1 hockey, but then the program cannot offer scholarships - thus putting the team at a significant disadvantage.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 08, 2018, 7:55 PM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
Minnesota has 5
Wisconsin has just 1.

The only other options would be UWM, UWGB and Marquette. Now all 3 would have a potential place to play but adding men's hockey requires either adding women's hockey or another women's sport. UWM and UWGB are bottom tier D1 programs to begin with in terms of athletics overall and conference affiliation so the chances the men's team would make money (most men's hockey teams lose money) is virtually zero and women's hockey or another sport won't make money either so they would have to have a pretty big surplus in revenue for it to make any sense and I doubt they have any surplus revenue.

Marquette could be like Providence I guess? But again that would require an additional women's sport and would basically need to be funded for several years to get the program up and running much like Terry Pegula did with Penn State.

So Marquette is probably the best chance but even then it's probably like a .000000000000000001% chance.

And Wisconsin has a lot of quality hockey at the D3 level with 11 teams total. The state has had a participant in the D3 final 14 of the last 20 years, has won 6 of the last 8 championships and St. Norbert and UWSP have played each other in the final twice in the last 5 years.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 09, 2018, 11:34 AM Post
A team almost has to be the primary tenant of their arena to play college hockey because home games require key Friday and Saturday dates for half the year. A hypothetical UWGB hockey team would almost certainly be behind the Green Bay Gamblers (USHL) and the UWGB men’s basketball team in priority at the Resch Center. Plus, UWGB already operates with the lowest number of teams and scholarships permissible by D1 and Horizon League standards. They are very cost conscious and have performed well across most sports for a school of their size and budget. I can’t see them stretching themselves thin with hockey unless there was a major donor.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 207 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply