LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next  [ 346 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

All Things Hockey:

Offline  Re: All Things Hockey:

Posted: January 14, 2017, 10:30 AM Post
I know a lot of lifelong Blackhawk fans in Milwaukee. Not sure where the statement that no one cares about the Blackhawks comes from. The media doesn't, no - but the media doesn't care about hockey in general. NHL fans in Milwaukee are generally either Blackhawks fans or Red Wings fans (for those who can't stomach rooting for a Chicago team). Any Wild fans I know here are originally from Minnesota. Very few people grew up North Star/Wild fans unless their parents were from Minnesota or something.

Simply put, there isn't enough hockey interest from the general public in Milwaukee to warrant an NHL team. The Admirals' great attendance in the early 90s (when the Pettits mulled getting a team) was not sustainable, and I don't think an NHL team's attendance would be, either. Extremely rich people who really like hockey and don't care if they make money, like the Pettits were, are very rare.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2017, 10:56 AM Post
If the Bucks can make it in Milwaukee then most certainly an NHL team would. The Bucks have started this huge PR campaign here and even with that and a young up and coming team and a new arena coming they are still in the bottom 6 in league attendance. I think interest in the NHL would be much higher. The fact that the Admirals are still around is a testament to that. You also have Badger hockey which has always drawn well. I realize it's not Milwaukee but it shows the level of interest in hockey in this state. I think people in Wisconsin can relate to hockey players a lot easier than they can relate to basketball players.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2017, 1:49 PM Post
trwi7 said:
Come support this team.

Haven't won since I posted this. [ohwell]

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 16, 2017, 5:10 PM Post
paul253 said:
If the Bucks can make it in Milwaukee then most certainly an NHL team would. The Bucks have started this huge PR campaign here and even with that and a young up and coming team and a new arena coming they are still in the bottom 6 in league attendance. I think interest in the NHL would be much higher. The fact that the Admirals are still around is a testament to that. You also have Badger hockey which has always drawn well. I realize it's not Milwaukee but it shows the level of interest in hockey in this state. I think people in Wisconsin can relate to hockey players a lot easier than they can relate to basketball players.

Because hockey players are white and most NBA players black?

I'm a somewhat big hockey fan. Have followed Badgers hockey strongly since i was a kid and BTW, glad to see things are turning around since Barry finally canned Eaves. Only casually follow the NHL until the playoffs where i watch a lot.

As for an NHL team being able to draw well in Milwaukee, i'm very skeptical. We have no hockey history here besides the Admirals and few attend those games. The hockey season takes place at the same time as the NBA, so both the Bucks and an NHL team would be fighting for the same limited entertainment dollars. That would hurt both teams.

NBA teams can survive easier with lackluster attendance simply because the TV revenues are ridiculous. Hockey teams need to draw and i think an NHL team in Milwaukee would only fill an arena if the team was really good.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 19, 2017, 11:35 PM Post

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2017, 2:19 AM Post
Because hockey players are white and most NBA players black

Um. What? Take it down a notch would you. Hockey is a much more blue collar sport than basketball. You don't see a bunch of pretty boys flashing their fancy clothes and cars and jewelry in hockey like you do in basketball. And Milwaukee is definitely a blue collar city, wouldn't you agree?

Additionally look at the cities where NBA players want to play. LA. Chicago. NY. South Beach.....er Miami. How many players actually want to play in Milwaukee? I've heard players complain about how boring Milwaukee is. I think hockey players would be more comfortable in cities like Milwaukee than NBA players because hockey is much more popular in cold weather cities then it is in warm weather cities.

Plus as I said even with this enormous PR campaign and young and up and coming team and new arena......even with all that attendance at Bucks games sucks. Back when Marquette had decent teams not that long ago they were drawing almost as many fans as the Bucks. It's just my opinion but I think people in Milwaukee would be more interested in the NHL than the NBA, and no not becuase we're all racists.

Regarding Admirals attendance. For the leagues they've been in they generally draw pretty well. They drew really well when they were an independant team. And they've survived this long as a minor league team which really says something. There would be a lot of competition for the dollars but I think they'd immediately jump to the top of the list.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2017, 11:03 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
paul253 said:

It doesn't get said much but Wisconsin is a great basketball state. Interest in college basketball is much higher than most places. Lots of quality talent generated from the high school level.

Hockey, in contrast, has never really caught on in Wisconsin. Maybe not having an NHL team is a part of that, but there simply are way less kids playing hockey in Wisconsin compared with neighboring states. Only 18,000 kids in youth hockey in WI compared with 50,000 in Michigan and 57,000 in Minnesota. Even Illinois has more. Obviously there are many dedicated hockey fans in the state, but an NHL team would have major work to do in order to increase hockey interest from casual sports fans.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2017, 1:45 PM Post
owbc said:
Hockey, in contrast, has never really caught on in Wisconsin. Maybe not having an NHL team is a part of that, but there simply are way less kids playing hockey in Wisconsin compared with neighboring states. Only 18,000 kids in youth hockey in WI compared with 50,000 in Michigan and 57,000 in Minnesota. Even Illinois has more. Obviously there are many dedicated hockey fans in the state, but an NHL team would have major work to do in order to increase hockey interest from casual sports fans.

That's not kids, it's registered players total. And Michigan and Illinois have twice as many people as Wisconsin. Of course they're going to have more registered players.

Wisconsin has almost as many registered players as New Jersey, more than Ohio, twice as many as Washington, more than Colorado, Texas, Florida and Virginia.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2017, 4:46 PM Post
paul253 said:
Because hockey players are white and most NBA players black

Um. What? Take it down a notch would you. Hockey is a much more blue collar sport than basketball. You don't see a bunch of pretty boys flashing their fancy clothes and cars and jewelry in hockey like you do in basketball. And Milwaukee is definitely a blue collar city, wouldn't you agree?

Who on the Bucks does what you imply here?

Plus, the NFL has plenty of players who does what you said, nobody cares in Wisconsin or elsewhere.

And what exactly makes the NHL blue collar, for whatever that even means and compared to basketball? The NHL is full of millionaires just as the NBA is. Wanna bet lots of those rich hockey players also have multiple very expensive cars and dress well, but maybe with a different sense of style? Most guys love cars and if wealthy will spend lots on them. If though some rich black athletes like spending lots of cash on jewelry and rich hockey players spend their cash on other type of toys, why should that even matter? Rich males tend to like to blowing cash on frivolous stuff.

Additionally look at the cities where NBA players want to play. LA. Chicago. NY. South Beach.....er Miami. How many players actually want to play in Milwaukee?

Sure some feel this way, but the Packers also had the same problem when they sucked for a long time. They start winning though under Favre and company, suddenly players want to stay and free agents sign with Green Bay. Giannis just signed an extension and Parker likely will also. If the Bucks front office ever gets competent and thus can surround those two with better talent, the team will win, regardless if other superstars won't sign here.

Hell, you listed NY, LA, and Chicago. The Knicks have been trying to lure a superstar for a long time, but the stars keep passing because the franchise doesn't win. The Lakers lately can't get one to come either. Stars aren't lining up to sign with Chicago. Bigger cities and nice climates have some advantage, but only if stars think they can win big there and there are only a limited number of true stars anyways and the Bucks already have a young one locked into an extension. Win and supporting talent will sign here to play with Giannis.

Plus as I said even with this enormous PR campaign and young and up and coming team and new arena......even with all that attendance at Bucks games sucks.

Win consistently for awhile with regular playoff games and attendance will be better. The Bradley Center was rocking that year the Bucks made the ECF. They've mostly sucked since. Put an NHL team here and have them be bad for most of nearly two decades as the Bucks have, you wouldn't be able to give away tickets for free.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 21, 2017, 10:53 AM Post
There will always be an attendance hurdle for the NBA / NHL in Milwaukee.

As a small market team, the Brewers have had respectable attendance because they have been able to draw fans from the rest of the state. Part of this has to do with the Wisconsin tailgate culture and Summer weather. Living in Green Bay, it's difficult for me to plan a trip to see the Bucks during the months of December - March. I just hate the prospect of 4 hours of "white knuckle driving." With the Brewers, I can generally count on better road conditions and will almost certainly be able to spend more time with friends and family tailgating beforehand. I think this hurdle can be cleared, but only through sustained success. My wife and I enjoy hockey. She's from North Dakota, where the University of North Dakota has won 8 NCAA Division I National Championships, including the most recent one. How does a town of 50,000 sell out a 12,000 seat arena every other weekend? They win games. Lots of games.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 21, 2017, 6:09 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
My wife and I enjoy hockey. She's from North Dakota, where the University of North Dakota has won 8 NCAA Division I National Championships, including the most recent one. How does a town of 50,000 sell out a 12,000 seat arena every other weekend? They win games. Lots of games.

It also helps that there are no pro sports in North Dakota. That hockey program probably has state wide love.

Speaking of real North Dakota hockey, as a big Badgers hockey fan, i miss playing North Dakota home and away every year. They along with Minnesota used to be the Badgers biggest rivals. Plus, i thought they had the best looking uniforms in college hockey, especially when they still had the Fighting Sioux head on the front.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 21, 2017, 7:15 PM Post

NBA players in general. Im not going to pull up an all time roster and liist off which players I think show off the bling and which players don't. I have had dealings with some players at work too, which is where I get sone of this from. It's just an opinion. Maybe NHL players do it too and I just don't know about it becuase we don't have NHL players here in Wisconsin very often. But don't try to deny that these young 18-21 year old millionaire NBA players like to show off their money.

Plus, the NFL has plenty of players who does what you said, nobody cares in Wisconsin or elsewhere

I wouldn't say nobody cares. I think a lot of people get annoyed by the extreme celebrations every time a player scores a touchdown or, you know, tackles someone. The Packers are mostly exempt from this here because Wisconsinites treat them as gods. But they also have open practices and ride kids bikes back to the lockeroom and stuff like that. That helps us peons relate to them. Plus I don't think Jabari Parker exclaiming that "all of our tax dollars goes to them (the police) just to kill us" and seeing video of Larry Sanders starting a bar fight helps my perception much.

And what exactly makes the NHL blue collar, for whatever that even means and compared to basketball

Because if the physicality and how the game is played. You have to work much harder to play hockey then you do basketball. NBA players sit out games to "rest" while NHL players get their teeth knocked out and come out next period. They fight but can mostly control themselves and follow the unwritten rules whereas when NBA players fight all hell breaks lose. NHL players go out of their way to represent their county in tje olymlics and other national tournaments whereas with the NBA most of the best players skip out becuase they don't want to jeopardize their next contract. And you've even had people suggest we should pay them to represent their country. And finally look at celebrities who line up to go to NBA games and sit courtside. Again maybe it's just because I don't follow the NHL much but I don't see that as often in hockey.

Look agree with me or don't. I don't care. But don't suggest this is somehow about race.

. If the Bucks front office ever gets competent and thus can surround those two with better talent, the team will win, regardless if other superstars won't sign here

The Bucks front office is been fine. Giannis and Parker were incredible picks and Maker could end up being a steal. They extended Middleton. They hired a quality coach. The team is just either still too young or underperforming. But you kind of proved my point in your response. The only way we can get a quality player is if we draft them or are consistently winning. Milwaukee isn't a destination city. Lebron isn't coming here. Neither is Curry. Or Durant. Or even Anthony. Regardless of how much we win we will never be a destination city like NY or LA or Miami or Chicago. Becuase NBA players do not like Milwaukee. Yes we can extend guys we drafted, although IIRC correctly there are financials incentives for them to resign as opposed to leave. Not saying it's the only reason they resign but it shouldn't be ignored.

And finally, the Bucks haven't been THAT bad lately. They have made the playoffs a few times recently and are definitely in contention again this year. Maybe it's their stadium. Who knows. But I just don't see the level of interest here that I do with the Brewers. And nobody can argue the Brewers have been consistent winners.

Anyway, what I came on here to say. Nice to see the Badger hockey team winning some games again. They've had some absolutely dreadful seasons lately.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2017, 12:47 AM Post
paul253 said:

NBA players in general. Im not going to pull up an all time roster and liist off which players I think show off the bling and which players don't. I have had dealings with some players at work too, which is where I get sone of this from. It's just an opinion. Maybe NHL players do it too and I just don't know about it becuase we don't have NHL players here in Wisconsin very often. But don't try to deny that these young 18-21 year old millionaire NBA players like to show off their money.

A lot of rich people in every avenue of life flaunt their money and spend extravagantly. So what. Hell, our new president brags about and flaunts his wealth on a daily basis and "blue collar" voters were his base of support.

I wouldn't say nobody cares. I think a lot of people get annoyed by the extreme celebrations every time a player scores a touchdown or, you know, tackles someone.

NFL ratings and attendance would say otherwise.

Because if the physicality and how the game is played. You have to work much harder to play hockey then you do basketball. NBA players sit out games to "rest" while NHL players get their teeth knocked out and come out next period. They fight but can mostly control themselves and follow the unwritten rules whereas when NBA players fight all hell breaks lose.

There are never fights in the NBA. Name the last one since Detroit/Indiana 13 years ago. In the NHL, the league is still full of goons who's main role on the team is to fight on the ice. It's 2017 and hockey has yet to evolve. It's the only sport that not only is ok with fights during a game, there are times where every player on the ice is fighting in a huge brawl. Great example for the kids in the crowd. I love hockey, but it's time for the NHL to grow up. Olympic hockey is a joy to watch in comparison. Physical minus the talentless goons fighting. If NBA players fought a lot, they'd get labeled thugs.

Look agree with me or don't. I don't care. But don't suggest this is somehow about race.

All i'll say is that the only people i ever hear complain about flashy black athletes, their clothes, jewelry, and cars are middle aged and older white guys. And for some reason their ire mainly just gets aimed at rich NBA players, not all of the other rich athletes, celebs, business men etc who blow millions frivolously.

The Bucks front office is been fine.

Are you being serious?

Giannis was an amazing pick by Hammond and so was the Middleton trade. Brogdon good. Parker fell in their laps. That's it.

They handed Henson/Plumlee, two scrub centers for 95 million combined. Incredible. That after giving 17 million per to Monroe, also a center who they have been badly trying to trade. Gave 40 million to Delledova who has been bad and 35 million to Teletovic who has been worse, so he rarely plays and neither does Plumlee.

They capped out the roster for years to come with about 175 million in the last two years on Henson/Plumlee/Delledova/Teletovic, none of whom is starting caliber and two who rarely even play at all. And Parker yet to be paid. I feel for Giannis and Parker.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2017, 2:33 AM Post
Sorry for highjacking the thread with non-hockey stuff

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2017, 3:46 PM Post
All i'll say is that the only people i ever hear complain about flashy black athletes, their clothes, jewelry, and cars are middle aged and older white guys. And for some reason their ire mainly just gets aimed at rich NBA players, not all of the other rich athletes, celebs, business men etc who blow millions frivolously.

I'm not complaining about "flashy black athletes". I am comparing my perception of the NHL players and the NBA players. That's all. I find t telling that of all the stuff I listed you choose to focus only the race of the most of the players, which I'll remind you you are the only one who brought up. Is it even possible to say something bad about NBA players without it being blamed on race? And why is it assumed that it's only NBA players that bother me? I'm bothered by some of the stuff the NFL players too. And guess what. I thought some of things Carlos Gomez did when he hit home runs was obnoxious too. They are called "professional" athletes for a reason. If you want to celebrate that's one thing. But some athletes take it way too far. That's what bothers us crabby old white guys. Not the skin color of those who do it.

I'll just add this because I think this makes a difference. The NBA is really the only sport where you can play in the highest level league almost immediately after High School. The only thing preventing high schoolers from declaring for the NBA is the stupid one year rule. In other sports you almost always have to go to college for multiple years (football hockey and baseball) or juniors (hockey) or the minors (baseball and hockey). I think this makes a difference in terms of maturity. I think riding the bus around in the minors going from small town to small town making minor league money, or going to college for three years, helps them mature as a person. Most NBA picks are either freshmen or sophomore (only seven of thirty first round picks last year played more than two years in college, seven the year before that, and seven the year before that). So when you go straight from living at home to being the big man on campus for a year later to being a multimillionaire the year after that there are going to be some maturity issues.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2017, 4:36 PM Post
paul253 said:
I'll just add this because I think this makes a difference. The NBA is really the only sport where you can play in the highest level league almost immediately after High School. The only thing preventing high schoolers from declaring for the NBA is the stupid one year rule. In other sports you almost always have to go to college for multiple years (football hockey and baseball) or juniors (hockey) or the minors (baseball and hockey).

This is weird because there are 18 year olds pretty much every year playing in the NHL.

Last year McDavid, Eichel and Sprong were in the NHL at 18. David Pastrnak is in his 3rd season in the NHL and won't turn 21 until May 25th. Seth Jones is in his 4th full year and won't turn 23 until the start of next season. Nathan MacKinnon is in his 4th full season and won't turn 22 until September. Aleksander Barkov is in his 4th full season and won't turn 22 until September. Alex Galchenyuk debuted as an 18 year old.

The NHL is the sport where you can play immediately after high school.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2017, 10:17 PM Post
paul253 said:

I'm not complaining about "flashy black athletes". I am comparing my perception of the NHL players and the NBA players. That's all. I find t telling that of all the stuff I listed you choose to focus only the race of the most of the players, which I'll remind you you are the only one who brought up. Is it even possible to say something bad about NBA players without it being blamed on race? And why is it assumed that it's only NBA players that bother me? I'm bothered by some of the stuff the NFL players too. And guess what. I thought some of things Carlos Gomez did when he hit home runs was obnoxious too. They are called "professional" athletes for a reason. If you want to celebrate that's one thing. But some athletes take it way too far. That's what bothers us crabby old white guys. Not the skin color of those who do it.

Come on, regardless that you didn't say black players specifically when you ragged on NBA players and their fancy clothes, cars, and jewelry, it's what you meant given the NBA is about 90 percent black. For whatever reason it bothers you how some of those players spend their money and i've heard other white guys complain about that also.

If someone simply likes the sport of hockey better i get it. I like the NBA better, but i'm still a hockey fan, especially Badgers hockey. I've just heard though over the years to many people either say flat out racist things about NBA players or more coded things about tatted up flashy NBA players by only older white guys for that to be a coincidence.

So then it ends up with when hockey players fight during a game, they are showing toughness, but if two NBA players threw punches or trash talk as happens all game long in hockey, they get labeled negatively.

Back to hockey-- Man the Badgers are so much more enjoyable to watch under Granato compared to Eaves. It's not just the better record, it's a style of play aspect also. Granato plays a more open system and after last weekend, i believe the team now has 12 straight games with at least 30 shots on goal. The Badgers under Eaves were not only bad, they were boring as hell. This should help recruiting, especially with scoring forwards.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: All Things Hockey:

Posted: January 24, 2017, 9:11 AM Post
Back to hockey-- Man the Badgers are so much more enjoyable to watch under Granato compared to Eaves. It's not just the better record, it's a style of play aspect also. Granato plays a more open system and after last weekend, i believe the team now has 12 straight games with at least 30 shots on goal. The Badgers under Eaves were not only bad, they were boring as hell. This should help recruiting, especially with scoring forwards.

I agree. Eaves was a lot of dump and chase...dump and chase.

If the Badgers actually had a highly touted goalie like they were supposed to have, then they may have found themselves in better position for a post season run. Unfortunately, the goaltending is average at best.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2017, 12:16 PM Post
The defense is far worse than the goaltending. Need Osiecki to work some recruiting magic there.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2017, 3:05 PM Post
This is weird because there are 18 year olds pretty much every year playing in the NHL

Half of the first round of the NBA draft would be 18 year olds if they were allowed to be. And all of those guys receive gusranteed contracts. If a hockey player is in the NHL at 18 then they are a phenomenal young prospect....an Eichel....a Matthews....a McDavid. Not so much in the NBA where these guys are drafted mainly on potential and many of them sit on the bench as rookies.

Come on, regardless that you didn't say black players specifically when you ragged on NBA players and their fancy clothes, cars, and jewelry, it's what you meant given the NBA is about 90 percent black

So again I ask. Is it even possible to complain about NBA players without you going directly to their race? Can I say anything bad about them without you making it a race thing?

And you're right. It doe bother me how pro athletes spend their money. I have no problem admitting it. I think most of them are absolute morons and a lot of it goes back to the immaturity I was referring to because a lot of them don't know any better. However I recognize that it's their money and they can spend it how they want. But that doesn't mean I have to sit here and like it when I see them dressed in ridiculous clothes with literally millions of dollars of jewelry hanging off their necks. Or when they talk like uneducated little middle schoolers. I just don't understand why you continue to act as though I'm only bothered by their race. Trust me. When a white athlete does this it bothers me just as much.

Regarding fighting. Google NHL fights and then google NBA fights and tell me which ones are more out of control. NHL fighting is basically allowed by the rules which is why they do it so much more often. But you very very rarely see benches empty and coaches getting involved. You see that with almost every NBA fight. Make this a race thing if you want but it's just true.

Now....back to hockey.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next  [ 346 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply