LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next  [ 346 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

All Things Hockey:

Offline  Re: All Things Hockey:
Posted: August 10, 2018, 5:26 AM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
Michigan has 7 Division 1 hockey programs in the state
Minnesota has 5
Wisconsin has just 1.

Any chance any other school in Wisconsin could become a D1 program? Ever? I admittedly do not know the politics, money, or policy behind those decisions, but needless to say places like UMD and Lake Superior State dont strike me as otherwise D1 schools...so....???

Minnesota has 58,000 registered hockey players, Michigan had 49,000 registered hockey players with a high % of its population close to the Canadian border and population. Wisconsin has 19,836. Hockey is bigger in those states. Maybe Colorado is a reasonable comparison with both CC and Denver (im not counting AF), but those schools don’t have to compete with the large state public university.
The best bet is SNC decides to go D1 for hockey and somehow works out an exemption to let them exclusively play D1 hockey (like RPI), but they seem fine with being a D3 power from my very distant seat.
Now there is some chicken and egg thing. Certainly more high quality hockey would grow the game but there isn’t the gap in the market here. Illinois may be another story, but..

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 10, 2018, 2:03 PM Post
SNC or UWSP or whatever powerhouse D3 program moving up to D1 is a lot like the conversations about Whitewater moving to D1, at least for football. Is the prestige of being D1 really worth joining a mediocre at best conference and being an also ran with no hope of ever winning a championship?

Maybe SNC or UWSP would get lucky and get accepted to the NCHC or something but that's such a good conference that you're going to be fighting an uphill battle to relevance for a long time.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 10, 2018, 2:15 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Thanks for providing those numbers on registrations ZBTMP. Interesting. I wonder how much of that has to do with Wisconsin never having a professional team, as demographically we are so similar to Minnesota and Michigan.

Something in Wisconsin has to give in order to give hockey more exposure - the exposure I think it deserves in this state. When it comes to winter sports we are just such a basketball state I think.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 10, 2018, 3:02 PM Post
Wisconsin is doing more than fine in hockey exposure. The only states with more registered players are California, New York, Minnesota, Michigan, Massachusetts, Illinois and Pennsylvania. Those states are either twice as big (at least) as Wisconsin population wise, have multiple college programs and all have at least one NHL team and in a few cases multiple teams as well as other professional minor league teams, junior teams etc.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 11, 2018, 2:09 PM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
Thanks for providing those numbers on registrations ZBTMP. Interesting. I wonder how much of that has to do with Wisconsin never having a professional team, as demographically we are so similar to Minnesota and Michigan.

Something in Wisconsin has to give in order to give hockey more exposure - the exposure I think it deserves in this state. When it comes to winter sports we are just such a basketball state I think.

Plus, high school hockey in Minnesota seems something like how high school football is in Texas. A long time passion for those sports on the high school, college, and pro level which is hard to duplicate.

As for Michigan, they simply have double the population. College football is the same. Wisconsin is the only Division 1 program while Michigan has five.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 12, 2018, 10:16 AM Post
SNC is a real wild card for D1 hockey because they have major donor potential in the Schneider Family (Schneider National Trucking ~ the orange trucks). I could also see them being a little more flexible than the UW schools because I don’t think they are particularly attached to their primary conference (whereas the WIAC is a pretty nice setup). Nonetheless, college hockey is expensive and I still see a D1 move as an unlikely possibility.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 12, 2018, 10:22 AM Post
Apparently, there was a gentlemens’ agreement made between Nebraska and Nebraska - Omaha when Omaha folded its football team. It was the only other D1 football team in the state. In exchange for a football monopoly, Nebraska was not going to sponsor hockey. Now that hockey has become a 3rd revenue sport, it will be interesting to see if Nebraska makes a move.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2018, 8:32 AM Post
Would it make sense to have an NHL game played at Lambeau? I would think a Detroit vs Nashville game would draw a lot of fans.

The real question then would the Packers allow something like this?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2018, 9:19 AM Post
nate82 said:
Would it make sense to have an NHL game played at Lambeau? I would think a Detroit vs Nashville game would draw a lot of fans.

They allowed Wisconsin vs. Ohio State. It was an awesome experience. One of the best times attending a game. I wish they'd do it again.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2018, 10:28 AM Post
Would help if Wisconsin would put out a product worth watching. 3-7 in their last 10 games and outside the top 30 in pairwise after being outscored 7-1 last weekend in Columbus. Embarrassing penalty kill numbers. Year 3 of the Granato era doesn't seem like it is going as planned. They still have a loaded recruiting class next season, but it’d be nice to get the trajectory pointed in the right direction before they arrive.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2018, 11:01 AM Post
ZBTMP said:
Would help if Wisconsin would put out a product worth watching. 3-7 in their last 10 games and outside the top 30 in pairwise after being outscored 7-1 last weekend in Columbus. Embarrassing penalty kill numbers. Year 3 of the Granato era doesn't seem like it is going as planned. They still have a loaded recruiting class next season, but it’d be nice to get the trajectory pointed in the right direction before they arrive.

They are 3-0 in games that I attend...so, I guess they should just make sure to get me in the building!

The PK is a joke...really just pathetic.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2018, 10:42 PM Post
nate82 said:

Outdoor hockey games are awful for every viewer.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2018, 11:40 PM Post
trwi7 said:
nate82 said:

Says who? You?

When I went to the one at Wrigley it was rather fun.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2018, 11:45 PM Post
nate82 said:
trwi7 said:
nate82 said:

Says who? You?

When I went to the one at Wrigley it was rather fun.

I suppose if you like terrible sight lines, they're great.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2018, 6:13 AM Post
Despite the cons, outdoor games help attract new fans.

I had a blast at Lambeau Field when Wisconsin played Ohio State in 2005 or 2006. I’m not a big fan of either team, but I would do it again in a heart beat. It was a novelty.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 11:13 AM Post
-----BUMP-----

NHL PLAYOFFS ARE HERE!!

GO BLUES!!!

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 1:02 PM Post
I am pulling for the Sharks, but I am not feeling very confident. Stumbled down the stretch some.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 8:46 PM Post
Very enjoyable (nerve racking) game one for my Blues!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2019, 9:10 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Very enjoyable (nerve racking) game one for my Blues!

Binnington has been awesome. I think that's a good marchup for St. Louis. The Jets kinda backpedaled into the playoffs too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 11, 2019, 1:28 AM Post
Preds suck.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next  [ 346 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply