LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next  [ 402 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

All Things Hockey:

Offline  Re: All Things Hockey:

Posted: January 24, 2017, 4:29 PM Post
trwi7 said:
The defense is far worse than the goaltending. Need Osiecki to work some recruiting magic there.

Yea Osiecki was a beast at recruiting and coaching up defenseman while he was an assistant under Eaves. In fact, things started to unravel once Osiecki left to take the job at Ohio St. Eaves owes a chunk of his success to what Osiecki brought on that area of the team.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2017, 5:06 PM Post
Trwi7 you seem like someone who goes to a lot of Admirals games. Have you been to any at the Panther Arena this year? If so what is your recommendation for buying tickets? I usually bought tickets from scalpers when they played at the BC. Do the scalpers still make it down there? I looked at the Admirals website and they just redirect you to Ticketmaster and their ridiculous ticket fees. My other option is to go down to the ticket office and buy tickets in person but I wasn't sure if the ticket office is open right up til game time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2017, 5:08 PM Post
paul253 said:

Regarding fighting. Google NHL fights and then google NBA fights and tell me which ones are more out of control. NHL fighting is basically allowed by the rules which is why they do it so much more often. But you very very rarely see benches empty and coaches getting involved. You see that with almost every NBA fight. Make this a race thing if you want but it's just true.

None of this is remotely close to the truth. Geez.

All there is to go with for NBA fighting gone bad is that huge brawl 13 years ago involving the Pacers in Detroit. That's it and ever since fighting in the NBA is pretty much non-existent outside of pushing/shoving and maybe a very random punch or two being thrown.

Fights with fists being thrown on the ice involving everything from two to 10 players all fighting like a scene out of the movie Slapshot are still common. And BTW, fighting isn't allowed by the rules. A penalty is given. Hockey leagues are alone though in simply slapping players on the wrist with a feather for fighting and using sticks violently unless of course someone gets hurt bad. Hockey coaches get nuts in ways NBA coaches would get crushed for.

There have also been vastly more violent altercations involving hockey players and fans compared to basketball. Nowhere close.

Watch this video and telling me how basketball players would be viewed by you and many others if they did stuff like this anywhere close to as often.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2017, 5:49 PM Post
Alright for the sake of the thread I'll move on. I'll let you look up NBA fights on YouTube on your own time. And you're right I misspoke. Fighting in the NHL isn't "allowed". The players are given penalties, usually five minutes and sometimes a game ejection. But its more accepted. And it's more organized. The ten on ten picture you paint is rare but if that is what you want to draw attention to then I'll say that pretty much NBA fight involves all ten players, and usually coaches and bench players too, getting involved.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2017, 7:51 PM Post
paul253 said:
Trwi7 you seem like someone who goes to a lot of Admirals games. Have you been to any at the Panther Arena this year? If so what is your recommendation for buying tickets? I usually bought tickets from scalpers when they played at the BC. Do the scalpers still make it down there? I looked at the Admirals website and they just redirect you to Ticketmaster and their ridiculous ticket fees. My other option is to go down to the ticket office and buy tickets in person but I wasn't sure if the ticket office is open right up til game time.

Depends on what game you want. If it's a concert game, you might need to get there early (check the map on ticketmaster to see how many tickets are left and then make a judgment on if you'll be able to get tickets at the box office.)

The ticket office is open until at least the start of the game and maybe a little later. Scalpers are still there but I never use them.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2017, 3:09 PM Post
paul253 said:
Alright for the sake of the thread I'll move on. I'll let you look up NBA fights on YouTube on your own time. And you're right I misspoke. Fighting in the NHL isn't "allowed". The players are given penalties, usually five minutes and sometimes a game ejection. But its more accepted. And it's more organized. The ten on ten picture you paint is rare but if that is what you want to draw attention to then I'll say that pretty much NBA fight involves all ten players, and usually coaches and bench players too, getting involved.

You are simply flat out wrong on this. I follow both sports and know without any question that actual fighting of any kind involving players punching each other rarely happens anymore in basketball, much less all 10 players on the court brawling as happens every year in hockey.

And all 10 players fighting in hockey isn't all that rare. Fighting in hockey is a culture issue. Hockey won't get rid of it as all other sports have because they believe their fans want to see it. Go to a hockey game and a fight happens. Most everyone in the crowd stands up to watch. The crowd starts yelling and gets all excited. Hockey could end this easily, but they don't want to.

In the NBA, if a player on the bench simply just walks on the court as an altercation is happening, they get suspended, regardless if they don't get near that altercation. So where do you get this nonsense from of all out brawls in the NBA anymore since that big fight in Detroit over a decade ago? Or coaches being involved also?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2017, 3:33 PM Post
You are simply flat out wrong on this. I follow both sports and know without any question that actual fighting of any kind involving players punching each other rarely happens anymore in basketball, much less all 10 players on the court brawling as happens every year in hockey

Oh my god. I'm trying to move on. I really am. But you're hijackjng my argument. I've never claimed there are constant "all out brawls" in basketball. I said everyone gets involved, which they do. Have you ever once seen two players get into a fight while everyone else stands around watching? I also think you're embellishing these "all out ten on ten brawls" in hockey. Yes it happens and yes it happens more then it does in basketball, mostly becuase like you say the league doesn't care to stop it. But I don't think it's as common to see all ten players actually physically fighting as you do. You'll see a lot of pushing and shoving and players holding other player back.....just like what you see what basketball players get physical with each other.

Now can we please move on?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2017, 5:52 PM Post
danzig6767 said:
And all 10 players fighting in hockey isn't all that rare.

I question how much you watch if you don't think this is rare. There's an average of 1 fight every 4 games. Games with more than one fight haven't reached 100 since 2010-11.

The AHL introduced new rules this year where you get a 1 game suspension for your 10th fight, a subsequent 1 game suspension for every fight until your 13th fight and then a 2 game suspension for every fight after that.

Fighting just isn't a huge part of the game anymore.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 26, 2017, 12:15 AM Post
trwi7 said:
danzig6767 said:
And all 10 players fighting in hockey isn't all that rare.

I question how much you watch if you don't think this is rare. There's an average of 1 fight every 4 games. Games with more than one fight haven't reached 100 since 2010-11.

The AHL introduced new rules this year where you get a 1 game suspension for your 10th fight, a subsequent 1 game suspension for every fight until your 13th fight and then a 2 game suspension for every fight after that.

Fighting just isn't a huge part of the game anymore.

None of that is my definition of rare. Rare is the amount of fights in the NBA and other pro sports.

Yes hockey isn't what it once was in he old days, but for me at least, it should happen far less than it still does.

FWIW, i'm not saying this as someone who hates watching two guys fight. I'm a big fan of UFC and grew up loving boxing with my dad. I even used to love watching the fights in hockey. Now as i've gotten older, the fighting just looks silly and minor league. I much prefer watching the playoffs where fighting is pretty rare and in the Olympics where it doesn't happen. That's what a major league team sport should look like. Not refs watching two guys circling around throwing haymakers at each other until the refs decide, well now i guess it's time to break this up and send the two guys to the penalty box for two minutes.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 26, 2017, 12:44 AM Post
paul253 said:
You are simply flat out wrong on this. I follow both sports and know without any question that actual fighting of any kind involving players punching each other rarely happens anymore in basketball, much less all 10 players on the court brawling as happens every year in hockey

Oh my god. I'm trying to move on. I really am. But you're hijackjng my argument. I've never claimed there are constant "all out brawls" in basketball. I said everyone gets involved, which they do. Have you ever once seen two players get into a fight while everyone else stands around watching?

Actually, i don't see any fist fights at all in the NBA anymore. Can't remember the last one which happened in a long time between two players, much less more than two players.

Pushing, shoving, and lots of trash talking. Sure it happens a lot, as it does in most sports. Two guys or more squaring off though and trading punches while everyone in the arena stands around and watches as happens in hockey, i'm drawing a blank for the last time.

As for wrecking the thread, nobody was posting in it until we did. Not that many people in Wisconsin follow hockey.I know lots of sports fans of various ages and only one friend of mine follows/likes hockey and even he mainly just follows Badgers hockey.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 26, 2017, 3:56 AM Post
I know lots of sports fans of various ages and only one friend of mine follows/likes hockey and even he mainly just follows Badgers hockey

It's funny the different perspectives we have. I know lots of sports fans too and hardly anyone of them care about the NBA. One of my friends who is into sports said he wouldn't watch the Bucks even if the game was in his driveway. I've heard a lot of people say they wish they could trade the Bucks for an NHL team. I personally think an NHL team would outdraw the Bucks here but I doubt we ever find out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2017, 1:02 AM Post
I think an NHL team would draw initially since it was new, but would be more win/loss dependent to survive compared to the Bucks because of TV money. The NBA owners are swimming in TV revenues and thus aren't as dependent of attendance to survive as NHL teams are.

The Bucks and the NBA also has star power to draw in fans when good opposing teams come to town. The Bucks have a 45 plus year history in Milwaukee. Ask the average sports fan in Milwaukee to name 10 NBA players, and most could name at least 20. Ask them to name 10 NHL players and most would struggle to name just 5.

Almost any type of sports franchise can thrive in a city if they are consistently good. It's when they are very mediocre to bad for an extended stretch where a history and appreciation of a sport is vital for survival, especially when not in a major media market like Milwaukee isn't. This is where i think an NHL team here would struggle to stay afloat, even more so when having to compete with the Bucks for entertainment dollars given their schedules are in line with each other. In fact, that very well could kill both franchises.

That all said, i'd love to see an NHL team here so long it didn't kill the Bucks in the process. Odds are microscopic that it ever happens though for a variety of obvious reasons.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2017, 1:43 PM Post
danzig6767 said:
nodakfan17 said:
My wife and I enjoy hockey. She's from North Dakota, where the University of North Dakota has won 8 NCAA Division I National Championships, including the most recent one. How does a town of 50,000 sell out a 12,000 seat arena every other weekend? They win games. Lots of games.

It also helps that there are no pro sports in North Dakota. That hockey program probably has state wide love.

Speaking of real North Dakota hockey, as a big Badgers hockey fan, i miss playing North Dakota home and away every year. They along with Minnesota used to be the Badgers biggest rivals. Plus, i thought they had the best looking uniforms in college hockey, especially when they still had the Fighting Sioux head on the front.

You're right in that it probably helps that there are no professional sports teams in North Dakota, but the college basketball season runs concurrently with hockey and the UND men's team draws fewer than 4,000 per game. It they started making the NCAA tourney every year, I'm sure their following would grow, but there's just not much to be excited about there (even if it is Division I men's basketball).

I miss the rivalries with Wisconsin and Minnesota, but those programs will be just fine (as will North Dakota). Growing up in Wisconsin, I have great memories of watching Badger hockey late at night on PBS with my dad. I'll always be a fan of the old WCHA teams.

Notre Dame is in the Big Ten now for hockey - what the heck?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2017, 3:18 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:

I miss the rivalries with Wisconsin and Minnesota, but those programs will be just fine (as will North Dakota). Growing up in Wisconsin, I have great memories of watching Badger hockey late at night on PBS with my dad. I'll always be a fan of the old WCHA teams.

When i was a kid my cousin played Pee Wee hockey at Wilson Park and i was so jealous that i couldn't play because my parents couldm't afford it.

Anyways i'd spend weekends at his house and we'd look so forward to those replays of Badgers hockey on PBS at 10PM. After the game was over we'd go in the basement, put on his hockey gear minus the skates and play for pretend with a tennis ball. I have very fond memories of that.

Plus, back then the Milwaukee Admirals practiced and played at Wilson Park and my uncle worked there. So he'd let me and my cousin in to watch them. The players gave us sticks and pucks, and sometimes they'd let us skate around with them after practice. it felt like such a cool thing as say an 8-9 year old kid. Man did i love hockey back then. I can still remember just loving the smell of a small hockey rink and skating.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2017, 11:47 AM Post
Badgers are 18th in the PairWise putting them right on the brink of a NCAA tournament berth. Still a lot of games left to go though and some tough games. They need to beat up on Michigan State and Michigan and then probably split with Penn State (4 games), Minnesota and Ohio State and then do decently in the Big Ten Tournament. That might be enough to have them sneak in, which would be amazing.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2017, 4:33 PM Post
That was a huge win last night by Wisconsin. I watched the game with a friend and when the Badgers gave up two goals in the last two minutes to tie the game, i feared an OT loss which could have been devastating, especially after not scoring a goal on a 5 minute major and a two minute minor that lead to a 5 on 3 power play.

I had high hopes when this new coaching staff was hired, but i didn't expect a turn around this quickly. There are some new players, but Granato has turned a team that was inept offensively under Eaves to a team which is now 6th in goals per game in all of college hockey.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2017, 12:58 PM Post
My thoughts on hockey in Milwaukee is this: 1) few Milwaukee area high schools have a team, compared to Madison's high schools and youth programs. People in Milwaukee don't grow up with it. 2) attending my first Admirals game after moving from Madison years ago, it seemed the Milw fans were more interested in the fights than the skill of the game.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 02, 2017, 11:28 AM Post
Global Moderator
To add to what Jimbo said, when Jessica played youth hockey in Onalaska, she played against a number of teams from Madison, Green Bay, Eau Claire, River Falls, and a ton of Minnesota teams, but I don't recall her playing against a Milwaukee team until she moved to girls AAA hockey starting in 9th grade. Even then, I'm not sure how many of the girls who played on the Junior Admirals were from Milwaukee, since AAA teams are allowed to add players regardless of where they live or attend school. I know a number of them were from Madison, but I don't know how many.

With regard to fandom in Wisconsin, my experience is all over the map. The crowds at the youth games I attended were great, but they were small- parents and other relatives, but hockey fans from outside the organization were rare. Badger fans (men and women) are largely into the games and knowledgeable, but I'm not sure how much of their love is for hockey or love Wisconsin hockey. The crowds at the NAHL games that I've attended in the area are more like what Jimbo experienced in Milwaukee. For whatever reason hockey plays don't really excite them so much as two guys beating on each other. I haven't been to a Madison Capitols USHL game, so I am not sure how those games are to attend.

To me an NHL team in Milwaukee would be a chicken or the egg thing. Would a new NHL team in Milwaukee create a new generation of hockey fans that wouldn't have otherwise existed and turn it into a viable NHL market? Or is the relative lack of interest in hockey in Milwaukee a sign that an NHL team would fail? I kind of think that between Badger hockey, the nearby Wild and Blackhawks, the USHL teams and smaller NAHL teams that Wisconsin hockey fans are appropriately satisfied, but who knows.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 02, 2017, 3:23 PM Post
Badger band at the Admirals game tomorrow night. Always a great show!

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 03, 2017, 4:18 AM Post
Former Badger coach Jeff Sauer has died. Only 73.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next  [ 402 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply