LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next  [ 346 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

All Things Hockey:

Offline  Re: All Things Hockey:

Posted: February 03, 2017, 9:21 AM Post
paul253 said:
Former Badger coach Jeff Sauer has died. Only 73.

Was a really nice man. Was fortunate enough to attend the Badger hockey camp twice and play in a couple of state tournaments and he was an absolute treat to talk to.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 03, 2017, 3:23 PM Post
trwi7 said:
Badger band at the Admirals game tomorrow night. Always a great show!

I wonder if the Badgers will ever revive that weekend tournament they played for a couple of years at the Bradley Center.

I went with some friends maybe 7-8 years ago and one of the games was against North Dakota. Our seats happened to be right by a section with a few hundred North Dakota fans and me and my friends had such a good time interacting with those Dakota fans. In fact, it just may have been the most fun i ever had at any hockey game i've attended in person. For whatever reason Wisconsin stop playing that weekend tournament in Milwaukee.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 03, 2017, 3:35 PM Post
danzig6767 said:
trwi7 said:
Badger band at the Admirals game tomorrow night. Always a great show!

I wonder if the Badgers will ever revive that weekend tournament they played for a couple of years at the Bradley Center.

I went with some friends maybe 7-8 years ago and one of the games was against North Dakota. Our seats happened to be right by a section with a few hundred North Dakota fans and me and my friends had such a good time interacting with those Dakota fans. In fact, it just may have been the most fun i ever had at any hockey game i've attended in person. For whatever reason Wisconsin stop playing that weekend tournament in Milwaukee.

That tournament was started back in the late 80s when Wisconsin football was terrible and the athletic department was operating in a deficit. They decided to try out a tournament in Milwaukee as a way of boosting revenue. It worked, at least initially. Then the Badgers hired Alvarez and the team was consistently making bowl games. Instead of going to Milwaukee for the hockey tournament, fans would instead buy tickets to whichever bowl game the Badgers would be in. Attendance began to suffer in Milwaukee. The tournament eventually moved back to Madison and was killed off for good 6 years ago iirc.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 03, 2017, 3:43 PM Post
Oh what could have been.

There are also some serious what-could-have-beens haunting the Badgers. They went 2-2 this season against Northern Michigan, which is 54th of 60 teams in the PairWise.

Had that been a 3-1 record in favor of UW, it would be 13th in the PairWise. At 4-0, the Badgers would be seventh.

Two games is the difference between on the outside looking in and being firmly in the NCAA Tournament.

The top 13 teams in the PairWise have made the tournament in each of the past 10 seasons. Most years, the cutoff has been at 14 or 15 — the number fluctuates because of automatic bids earned by conference tournament champions and whether they’re already in position to make the field.

Using 13th as the target, the Badgers (13-8-1, 6-2 Big Ten) likely need to win at least seven of their final 12 regular-season games to be in that position going into the Big Ten Conference tournament.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/coll ... 2eb7c.html

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 03, 2017, 8:50 PM Post
Ah the ole Bank One Badger Hockey Showdown. I went to that fairly often with my brother. That's how a became I fan actually. I was (and still am) fascinated with all the chants the students do, especially the Sieve chant after each goal.

I really hope Milwaukee can get the Frozen Four back in town once the new arena is complete. I went to the 2006 National Championship game where UW beat BC. What an experience.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 04, 2017, 9:46 PM Post
It was almost a perfect hockey night for me.

Badgers beat Michigan State in OT, though they need to stop giving up these last minute game tying goals.

Admirals win in Grand Rapids for the first time in over two years.

The only blemish was the Predators completely dominating the Red Wings and losing 1-0.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2017, 6:24 AM Post
Wisconsin has a very legit shot at winning the Big Ten. How amazing would that be after the past two seasons?

Speaking of the Big Ten. I know Notre Dame is joining the conference next year. Any word on any other actual Big Ten schools getting teams any time soon? I can't imagine they stared this conference with the idea of only having six schools involved.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2017, 1:47 PM Post
trwi7 said:
It was almost a perfect hockey night for me.

Badgers beat Michigan State in OT, though they need to stop giving up these last minute game tying goals.

Yea, i couldn't believe they gave up another goal with under a minute left to tie the game. Had they not won in OT and lost instead, that could have been a huge blow to their tournament chances. To leave a Michigan St player completely alone right in front of the net for a game tying goal was so frustrating.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2017, 2:32 PM Post
paul253 said:
Speaking of the Big Ten. I know Notre Dame is joining the conference next year. Any word on any other actual Big Ten schools getting teams any time soon? I can't imagine they stared this conference with the idea of only having six schools involved.

The formation of a Big Ten hockey conference was more or less a formality when Penn State added hockey. The Big Ten requires at least 6 member schools to play under the Big Ten name and the NCAA requires a minimum of 6 teams in a conference to award an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Despite the great rivalries in the WCHA and CCHA, I believe the potential revenue from Big Ten Network games and a conference tournament was too much to forgo. 6 would be the critical mass for any of the major conferences to play under their primary conference brand.

As far as which other teams may be interested in starting hockey, Nebraska is unlikely to be an option. A few years back (10?), Nebraska-Omaha dropped football and allocated more resources to men's hockey. I believe there's some type of gentlemans' agreement in place whereby the Cornhuskers will not sponsor hockey, provided Nebraska-Omaha does not sponsor football.

The biggest obstacle to sponsoring hockey is cost. Don't forget that it took an $80 million dollar donation by the owner of the Buffalo Sabres for Penn State to add hockey. And it's not just men's hockey, most schools would be forced to add women's hockey to satisfy Title IX requirements. With all due respect to women's hockey, it lacks the revenue potential that men's hockey brings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 06, 2017, 12:18 AM Post
paul253 said:
Wisconsin has a very legit shot at winning the Big Ten. How amazing would that be after the past two seasons?

Minnesota is still a heavy, heavy favorite to win the Big Ten.

Wisconsin

vs (6) Penn State
vs (6) Penn State
vs Michigan
vs Michigan
@ (7) Minnesota
@ (7) Minnesota
@ (6) Penn State
@ (6) Penn State
vs (11) Ohio State
vs (11) Ohio State

Minnesota has @ Penn State and @ Ohio State but they get Wisconsin at home and they finish the season with Michigan and Michigan State.

It's been an amazing season and I'd be happy with a tournament appearance considering where Wisconsin has been the past couple of years but I'd be completely shocked if Wisconsin won the Big Ten. If we could get a bye to the semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament, that would be amazing.

Thank God they're moving the tournament back to campus sites in 2018. The tournament since the Big Ten started has been terrible. Especially awful in Detroit but it wasn't exactly thriving in St. Paul either.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 06, 2017, 1:13 AM Post
One thing which has surprised me is that the BTN doesn't televise more hockey games. To often there is fluff being televised and the Badgers hockey isn't on or is on some other odd network. So far i don't see this huge weekend series vs Penn St being televised anywhere in the Milwaukee area. The BTN is showing Minnesota vs OSU on Friday and Saturday night, but why can't they show games by region or state? I'm very annoyed that i can't watch either game. [devil]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 06, 2017, 1:19 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:
paul253 said:

The formation of a Big Ten hockey conference was more or less a formality when Penn State added hockey. The Big Ten requires at least 6 member schools to play under the Big Ten name and the NCAA requires a minimum of 6 teams in a conference to award an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Despite the great rivalries in the WCHA and CCHA, I believe the potential revenue from Big Ten Network games and a conference tournament was too much to forgo. 6 would be the critical mass for any of the major conferences to play under their primary conference brand.

Man, i so wish that North Dakota would join the Big Ten conference. Has there ever been any talk of them being potentially invited and if they were, would they strongly consider it?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 06, 2017, 1:44 AM Post
danzig6767 said:
One thing which has surprised me is that the BTN doesn't televise more hockey games. To often there is fluff being televised and the Badgers hockey isn't on or is on some other odd network. So far i don't see this huge weekend series vs Penn St being televised anywhere in the Milwaukee area. The BTN is showing Minnesota vs OSU on Friday and Saturday night, but why can't they show games by region or state? I'm very annoyed that i can't watch either game. [devil]

It says it's on the Wisconsin Channel which is public television but those games haven't aired, even on tape delay in the Milwaukee area for years.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 06, 2017, 9:55 AM Post
danzig6767 said:
Man, i so wish that North Dakota would join the Big Ten conference. Has there ever been any talk of them being potentially invited and if they were, would they strongly consider it?

If it is just for hockey, there is a chance. If it is for all sports, it's not happening. The Big Ten wants TV markets and North Dakota just isn't one. It's monetary over anything else.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 06, 2017, 1:23 PM Post
Wisconsin has been the past couple of years but I'd be completely shocked if Wisconsin won the Big Ten. If we could get a bye to the semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament, that would be amazing.

Wisconsin and Minnesota are both 8-2 in conference and I don't think you can say the schedules are that big a deal. Really the only difference is Minnesota plays Michigan St one series and Wisconsin plays Penn St. I'd be surprised if Wisconsin wins the conference just becuase if how bad they've been lately but it certainly wouldn't shock me. They are 4-2 so far against Michigan Minnesota and Ohio St so those are certainly winnable games, especially since 4 of the 6 are at home. Either way though what an improvement

The biggest obstacle to sponsoring hockey is cost. Don't forget that it took an $80 million dollar donation by the owner of the Buffalo Sabres for Penn State to add hockey

Yeah but that was mostly to build a new arena. If a team already has an arena that can add hockey the cost wouldn't be nearly as much. I think Nebraska just built a nice shiny new basketball arena that has the ability to make ice so there was some speculation they were thinking of adding hockey but I think that speculation has died down a bit.

I think conference expansion is inevitable again with the soon to happen demise of the Big 12. If or when that happens I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big Ten add two more teams and I think UConn would be a serious contender. They would shore up the East Coast, probably more so than Rutgers did. They also add traditionally strong basketball programs and although their football team is weak, as Rutgers showed that's not an automatic disqualifier like it would be for the SEC. Plus obviously they have a men's hockey program so with Notre Dame that'd make 8, a much more stable number than 6 for a conference.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2017, 5:48 AM Post
danzig6767 said:
nodakfan17 said:
paul253 said:

Obviously, a move to the Big Ten for all sports is extremely unlikely. A state of 750,000 people just doesn't have the resources to fund a major research university. North Dakota would make more sense as an affiliate member for hockey, but the only way I could see North Dakota making that move would be if they received an equal share of conference tournament revenue and an equal share of BTN revenue (prorated for men's hockey viewership). Plus, they'd need some assurance that they wouldn't be bumped for the next Big Ten team to add hockey.

I think North Dakota is comfortable in a league with a bunch of hockey-first schools like Denver, St. Cloud State, Minnesota-Duluth, and Nebraska-Omaha. I predict the next big shakeup in college hockey will come out West, where hockey is growing and Pac 12 / Mountain West schools have highly competitive club teams. We've already seen Arizona State make the jump.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 08, 2017, 3:40 PM Post
Yea i meant just for hockey. That said, i understand why it wouldn't be likely. It was mainly just a personal desire of mine because i miss the N. Dakota/Wisconsin hockey matchup four games a year.

I spent so many years watching Wisconsin play teams like N. Dakota, Colorado College, Denver, Minnesota-Duluth, etc that i'm still not fully adjusted to the Big Ten schedule vs WCHA.

It's weird because i'm used to having strong feelings against schools like Michigan, OSU, and Michigan St in basketball/football, but when Wisconsin plays them in hockey it's not there yet for me. It just doesn't have that same big game vibe for me like when say N. Dakota or a good Colorado College team rolled into Madison with Paul Brown and Bill Howard calling the games.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 12, 2017, 1:38 PM Post
paul253 said:

The biggest obstacle to sponsoring hockey is cost. Don't forget that it took an $80 million dollar donation by the owner of the Buffalo Sabres for Penn State to add hockey

Yeah but that was mostly to build a new arena. If a team already has an arena that can add hockey the cost wouldn't be nearly as much. I think Nebraska just built a nice shiny new basketball arena that has the ability to make ice so there was some speculation they were thinking of adding hockey but I think that speculation has died down a bit.

I think conference expansion is inevitable again with the soon to happen demise of the Big 12. If or when that happens I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big Ten add two more teams and I think UConn would be a serious contender. They would shore up the East Coast, probably more so than Rutgers did. They also add traditionally strong basketball programs and although their football team is weak, as Rutgers showed that's not an automatic disqualifier like it would be for the SEC. Plus obviously they have a men's hockey program so with Notre Dame that'd make 8, a much more stable number than 6 for a conference.

I see what you're saying - you do not need an $80 million arena to begin playing college hockey. However, since college hockey is played on Friday and Saturday nights, you would almost have to be the primary tenant in the arena.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 24, 2017, 10:17 PM Post
I know I dogged their goaltending, but Berry was incredible tonight.

Up to 15th in the pairwise.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 24, 2017, 11:22 PM Post
Their defense is worse than their goaltending, which makes the goaltending look worse than it is.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next  [ 346 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply