LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 111 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017-18 Green Bay Packer Roster Prediction

Offline  Re: Packer WR Depth - Who to keep?

Posted: September 01, 2017, 3:21 AM Post
That's a lot of words from someone who has no clue what was going on in that locker room with Sitton

Offline  Re: Packers O-Line Depth

Posted: September 01, 2017, 6:37 AM Post
I'm actually not too concerned about the running game once we hit the regular season. The lack of success there can be quickly attributable to the awful OL depth. It's really hard to evaluate the new RB's if they aren't running with the ones. Montgomery is bigger this year, Williams has had some moments, Jones looks like a potential home run hitter, and Mays has shown incredibly cutback ability.

I personally feel the running game will flourish, with one giant caveat - that the starting OL stays healthy...

Offline  Re: 2017-18 Green Bay Packer Roster Prediction

Posted: September 01, 2017, 6:45 AM Post
"Packer People" is quickly moving into the territory of "The Cardinal Way" and I don't like that one bit.

After watching the preseason, I think an argument could be made that the player who will help the defense out the most this season is P Justin Vogel. He's shown an ability to flip field position and 5 second + hangtimes becoming the norm. I just hope his skills don't diminish once the temperatures drops. But he looks like a keeper.

Posted: September 01, 2017, 7:34 AM Post
Point Beer Is Best said:
"Packer People" is quickly moving into the territory of "The Cardinal Way" and I don't like that one bit.

After watching the preseason, I think an argument could be made that the player who will help the defense out the most this season is P Justin Vogel. He's shown an ability to flip field position and 5 second + hangtimes becoming the norm. I just hope his skills don't diminish once the temperatures drops. But he looks like a keeper.

Spot on. I hate the term "Packer people" and if what we've seen of Vogel is accurate come November/December, it will be a huge thing for this defense and offense. Schum was absolutely terrible.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Posted: September 01, 2017, 10:00 AM Post
OnTheBlack said:
Wrong. Sitton is a several time all pro player. He was an AP All Pro at least 3 times in Green Bay

If he was first-team All Pro he would have a plus by that year:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SittJo20.htm

Show me links to the press releases naming him All-Pro and I'll believe you.

Posted: September 01, 2017, 11:26 AM Post
LouisEly said:
OnTheBlack said:
Wrong. Sitton is a several time all pro player. He was an AP All Pro at least 3 times in Green Bay

I did the research. Josh Sitton has never been named 1st team AP All-Pro. He was named 2nd team three times (2013-2015).

For what it's worth, Jahri Evans has been named 1st team AP All-Pro four times (2009-2013) while TJ Lang has never been named 1st or 2nd team AP All-Pro.

Posted: September 01, 2017, 12:23 PM Post
Global Moderator
And each of them would be cut if they were trying out for the WR position... *hint, hint*

I didn't think he would do it, but I'd guess that Janis is going to make the team. He has been his usual good ST player, but also showing his ability equal to or above his competition.

I don't see how Clark makes the team, but I'm very nervous to cut him. McCaffrey seems to be left out of competition last night. Probably trying to sneak one on the PS.

Once Allison is back (after game 1), I'd guess both Yancy and Dupre to be cut. And the roster to look like this:

Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Allison, Janis, Davis

Posted: September 01, 2017, 12:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
Updated predictions

* Denotes a starter. Bold indicates on the 53 man roster.
QB(2):: Pretty easy here. Callahan sticks because Hundley is close to be traded.
- 53-man: Rodgers*, Hundley
- PS: Hill

RB(5):
- 53-man: Montgomery*, Ripkowski, Williams, Jones, Mays
- PS: Phillips

TE(3):
- 53-man: Bennett*, Rodgers, Kendricks

WR(6):
- 53-man: Nelson*, Adams*, Cobb*, Allison, Davis, Janis
- PS: Clark, McCaffrey, Yancey, Dupre - Not all 4 will make it to the PS. Someone will be claimed.
NOTE: Allison has a 1 week suspension, so I'd guess Yancey or McCaffrey makes the cut initially

OL(9):
- 53-man: Bulaga*, Linsley*, Taylor*, Bakhtiari*, Spriggs, Evans*, Murphy, Barclay, Waiver Claim
- PS: Gray or Amichia

DL(5):
- 53-man: Daniels*, Clark*, Lowry*, Francois, Ringo
- IR: Adams

OLB(6):Keep as many as possible for depth.
- 53-man: Perry*, Matthews*, Fackerell, Elliot, Brooks, Gilbert
- PUP: Biegel

ILB(3): Save an ILB and add a S instead. The new defense...
- 53-man: Ryan*, Martinez*, Thomas

S(5):
- 53-man: HHCD*, Burnett*, Jones, Evans, Brice

CB(6):
- 53-man: Randall*, House*, Rollins, King, Gunter, Hawkins,
- PS: Brown, Pipkins

ST (3):
- 53-man: Crosby, Vogel, Goode

Posted: September 01, 2017, 4:01 PM Post
The 5th/6th WRs have to be able to play special teams, and Janis excels at that. Not just as a gunner on punts but also on kick returns - career average of 26.3 yards/KR. And he's improved his route running substantially over the last two years. I am not at all surprised that he made the team.

Have a soft spot for Clark, you know, since I called him as a UDFA. [smile] But I don't know that he makes someone else's active roster. Just so many WRs coming out of college now with the spread/up-tempo offenses.

Posted: September 01, 2017, 9:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
I agree about the running game. The backup O-line has been so bad, that I'm not worried about the production. But the top 4 seem very strong and I like Phillips. Any other year, he would be on the team, but on the PS this year.

And beyond running the ball, all of them seem good at catching the ball too. Which is pretty important on the Packers. Should be very interesting this year.

Amichia was a workout warrior with very high athletisicm, but turned out much farther behind on technic. He will be more interesting after a year on the PS.

Posted: September 02, 2017, 1:51 AM Post
Point Beer Is Best said:
I'm actually not too concerned about the running game once we hit the regular season. The lack of success there can be quickly attributable to the awful OL depth. It's really hard to evaluate the new RB's if they aren't running with the ones. Montgomery is bigger this year, Williams has had some moments, Jones looks like a potential home run hitter, and Mays has shown incredibly cutback ability.

I personally feel the running game will flourish, with one giant caveat - that the starting OL stays healthy...

There's that old cliche...if you have 2 QB's, you don't really had any. Though it's not the same with RB's anymore, but if you took the numbers off the 4 rookies(I'm including Phillips as he's looked good at times as well) you'd have a real tough time telling them apart. .

They all had some nice runs, but they also missed holes a LOT of times.

I agree that with what the OL was giving them, it's tough to really know what you have...it's hard enough to evaluate pass blocking with offensive linemen, it's virtually impossible to know who screwed up(unless a guy just gets blown back into the RB's lap) with the zone blocking scheme which is absolutely dependent upon cohesion on the OL. Even if you have good OL...if they're not playing together, you won't be able to run the ball. You saw it in the Badgers game tonight. They weren't working well...their guards weren't passing their guys off and getting to the next level, they weren't sealing off the backside.

So I'm not saying the Running Game can't or won't be good. I just haven't seen enough out of it and to rely on a WR'er turned RB(Who might have put on some weight, but is still a big question mark) and 3 rookies...it's at least a concern.

I would say Jones has been the most impressive followed by Mays and Williams in that order(I also think Phillips looked decent but he's probably not gonna make the team or practice squad). All of them offer something unique, but Jones was the most aggressive. Mays is the most powerful and Williams is the guy I've heard the most about the Packers being high on...so we'll see how that plays out.

Posted: September 02, 2017, 2:01 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
I agree about the running game. The backup O-line has been so bad, that I'm not worried about the production. But the top 4 seem very strong and I like Phillips. Any other year, he would be on the team, but on the PS this year.

And beyond running the ball, all of them seem good at catching the ball too. Which is pretty important on the Packers. Should be very interesting this year.

Amichia was a workout warrior with very high athletisicm, but turned out much farther behind on technic. He will be more interesting after a year on the PS.

The OL didn't give them a shot. Not ONLY because they were bad but because the zone scheme just isn't one you can run with guys constantly rotating in and out. If we ran a different scheme, just blocked straight ahead, doubled at the point with a kickout block it'd be easier for these backs. And I think we went to that a bit more this past game just to see what we had.

But don't you have to be a little worried not having one proven NFL back? I think we're gonna find ourselves using Rip on 3rd downs more than we'd like to provide Rodgers with better pass pro. ESPECIALLY if a tackle goes down. And if one goes down, lets at least hope it's on the right side because we cannot afford to lose Bahk. He's really irreplaceable at this point. I'll admit to being way off on him. I thought he was always going to be a finesse type LT who was solid vs the pass, but the type of guy you should be trying to upgrade. And then each year he just got better and better and now he's right there with the top 4 LT's in the game.

But all 3 of the drafee's have talent. They have different styles which may serve us well..but I'd prefer to have a pecking order. To have a guy who jumped out. Maybe having 4 backs will mean we've always got fresh legs, but I think it's possible it'll mean we don't ever get anyone going.

Either way, I don't think we're gonna really know if it's Williams, Jones, Mays or in the off chance they go with Phillips as the best of the bunch(excluding Montgomery) until 4-5 games into the year.

And it might look ugly right out of the gate with that Seattle D that just picked up an elite defensive linemen.

Posted: September 02, 2017, 2:04 AM Post
LouisEly said:
OnTheBlack said:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports ... /78511596/

He was named 2nd team All Pro 3 times at that point(now 4 times). Not to mention you dismissed pro-bowls as popularity contests. Well...coaches and players are 2/3rds of that vote. All Pro teams are all media. So why is one about popularity but not the other? Unless you're talking about the Pro-Football Focus AP teams which are based on performance, a team he also made the year before he was cut. The problem I would have with pro-bowl selections would be the number of players who opt out and are then selected after as replacements. That's when it begins to become a bit of sham.

But this isn't really the point. The point was you suggested it was ridiculous they would cut a player of his caliber for an un-drafted free agent when in fact they released a more celebrated, more durable and more consistent player just last year for an un-drafted free agent. I'd like to see them give Cobb one more year, but I'd also like to see them try and re-work his deal to reflect his recent production.

Last edited by OnTheBlack on September 02, 2017, 2:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: September 02, 2017, 2:07 AM Post
Brewer Fever said:
That's a lot of words from someone who has no clue what was going on in that locker room with Sitton

Oh...so we can only have an opinion if we're in the locker room? Then I guess this thread should be locked right now.

Posted: September 02, 2017, 2:28 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
And each of them would be cut if they were trying out for the WR position... *hint, hint*

I didn't think he would do it, but I'd guess that Janis is going to make the team. He has been his usual good ST player, but also showing his ability equal to or above his competition.

I don't see how Clark makes the team, but I'm very nervous to cut him. McCaffrey seems to be left out of competition last night. Probably trying to sneak one on the PS.

Once Allison is back (after game 1), I'd guess both Yancy and Dupre to be cut. And the roster to look like this:

Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Allison, Janis, Davis

It's possible the fact that there is only one round of cuts makes it easier to get both Clark and McCaffery onto the practice squad. Clark really doesn't look that close to playing, but he does look like he could be an incredible and unique player down the road. I just hope he doesn't have a Janis like learning curve.

Janis' ability on special teams has at least given him time to develop at WR'er and it's pretty obvious his route running has improved. The question is if his hands are good enough to ever be a reliable receiver. The biggest blemish on his pre-season IMO was that drop on what would have been a TD in the 1st or 2nd pre-season game. Can't recall which it was.

But again, given where he's come from, a D2 school, he's come a long way and he has a knack for the big play.

I think they go with a 7th WR'er here and put Adams(DT) on IR and Biegel on the PUP to create two more roster spots and at least for now those will probably be Dupre and Yancey, but if McCaffery has really been as good as the coaches are saying he's been this off-season...maybe he bumps one of them out to start.

Allison by the way looks really good. His blocking is great, but that was a really impressive play he made early on in the final exhibition game to not only win the fight for the ball, but to then get into the endzone. Big physical WR'er.

Posted: September 02, 2017, 3:13 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Updated predictions

* Denotes a starter. Bold indicates on the 53 man roster.
QB(2):: Pretty easy here. Callahan sticks because Hundley is close to be traded.
- 53-man: Rodgers*, Hundley
- PS: Hill

RB(5):
- 53-man: Montgomery*, Ripkowski, Williams, Jones, Mays
- PS: Phillips

TE(3):
- 53-man: Bennett*, Rodgers, Kendricks

WR(6):
- 53-man: Nelson*, Adams*, Cobb*, Allison, Davis, Janis
- PS: Clark, McCaffrey, Yancey, Dupre - Not all 4 will make it to the PS. Someone will be claimed.
NOTE: Allison has a 1 week suspension, so I'd guess Yancey or McCaffrey makes the cut initially

OL(9):
- 53-man: Bulaga*, Linsley*, Taylor*, Bakhtiari*, Spriggs, Evans*, Murphy, Barclay, Waiver Claim
- PS: Gray or Amichia

DL(5):
- 53-man: Daniels*, Clark*, Lowry*, Francois, Ringo
- IR: Adams

OLB(6):Keep as many as possible for depth.
- 53-man: Perry*, Matthews*, Fackerell, Elliot, Brooks, Gilbert

S(5):

CB(6):

ST (3):

This looks almost exactly like I would do it with only a couple of differences. I think on the OL Pankey has at outside shot to make the roster and if not is a lock for the PS if he's not claimed. Just too big, physical and versatile. I hope you're right about Gilbert.

And I'm also pretty sure the more we agree on what the final roster will look like, the more you can count on a couple big shakeup's and TT doing a couple things we never saw coming!

QB-(2)

Rodgers, Hundley
PS-Hill-That throw he made when he scrambled was big time because he shows he's developing from a guy who just takes off when his first read isn't there to a guy who can use his feet while keeping his eyes downfield. If another team claims him, it only hurts him and his future development. Let him learn from McCarthy and Van Pelt and company for a couple years. He should be the backup next year assuming Hundley is traded after this year and not before.

RB-(5)
Montgomery, Mays, Williams, Jones, Rip
PS-I think Phillips..I wonder if the Packers think they can find other RB's though. With 3 rookies already, not sure they keep him, though I would like it if they did.

TE-(3)Bennett, Kendricks, Rodgers
PS-I think Peck has a shot to make the PS here. He looked decent, including a couple of nice blocks both inline and downfield.

OL-(8)David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, Corey Linsley, Jahri Evans, Lane Taylor, Kyle Murphy, Jason Spriggs, Don Barclay
I don't think they add anyone here. I think maybe they SHOULD, but I don't think they do. If they went with 9 I think Pankey, not Patrick would be the next guy, but I appear to be in the minority there as I keep hearing about how much they like Patrick.
PS-Pankey/Gray-
I would love it if they could spend a full year developing these two. Both are ideal guards, they're both really physical, great size, length...everything you need. I think they have really high upside. But I don't think Gray could even compete against a guy like Sheldon Richardson in week 1.

And I've been with you on Amichia for a while. I don't see anything there. TT makes some great picks...and maybe with that goes missing so badly on some of these types of moves.

WRer-(7)Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Jeff Janis, Trevor Davis, DeAngelo Yancey, Malachi Dupre
Suspension-Allison
PS-Clark, then hopefully whoever is displaced will end up back with the team on the PS.
This has been discussed. This is where I could see the biggest surprise coming from(or a trade) and I think they go with 7 once again here. Unless they can trade a guy like Davis for a OL, I think they keep 7, especially with Nelson's age, Adam's looming free agency and the questions about Cobb's production, contract and health.

DL-(5)Daniels, Clark, Lowry, Francois, Ringo
IR-Adams(agree with you here...not a good start for a guy who was a questionable pick to begin with. You can bring back 2 guys from IR now so maybe he comes back if someone goes down, but I wouldn't waste a roster spot on a guy who at beast won't make an impact for 6 weeks with the depth we've got here.
PS-Price
This is the best group I think we've had in a while. I'm a bit worried about our OLB'ers, but I think we'll end up going with 3 DL more this year just because they're really good pass rushers and good vs the run. Clark has transformed his body, Lowry looks like a poor mans Watt(ok, very poor, but that's still good). And Daniels is Daniels. I also like Ringo as opposed to Price, but Price looks like he could provide good depth either now if they choose to go with him or in the future where he could take Francois' place.

OLB(6) 53-man: Perry, Matthews, Fackerell, Elliot, Brooks, Gilbert
PS-Calvin
Calvin looks like he could develop. This group makes me feel a lot better with the addition of Brooks, otherwise it's really a MASSIVE question mark. Can Matthews and Perry stay healthy? If those two could be healthy for 28 games between the two of them, I think you could get 25 sacks out of them. But that's hoping for a lot.

Demovsky has Gilbert getting waived right now and I think he might be the toughest decision the Packers have to make. He looked like someone who could contribute this pre-season. And he's solid vs the run. Elliot looks like the most likely to be cut. He's kinda like the Janis of the OLB'ers. A key special teamer who has flashed at times playing from scrimmage, but has been inconsistent. A breakout season from him would go a long way to solidifying this group.

S(5):

CB(6):

ST (3):

I just cut and pasted the last 4 positions. I think those look pretty obvious.

Gunter was reportedly fighting for a spot on the team but it doesn't make any sense to let him go at this point. There's nobody else who's shown enough. Hawkins looks like he could be a guy who could come in later in the year and contribute. Just as long as he doesn't have the mental mistakes he had last year early vs Detroit.

Jones is basically a ILB'er with safety skills. He played into the 4th quarter the last game and was making plays taking on guards at the LOS one play and then lining up in CF on the next. Brice and Evans have both looked too good to not keep around.

I may arrange the guys differently...I think Rollins is a starter in the slot and I think they go with King and House outside, but that's pretty minor.

If the DB's can just hold up in coverage and we can stay health at OLB'er, this COULD be a really good D with the defensive line and the ridiculous depth at safety.

Offline  Packers-Breakout Stars...

Posted: September 02, 2017, 3:27 AM Post
Every year the Packers seem to have a couple of guys make a big jump, be it from year 1 to 2 or guys who were on the bubble who come on and end up playing key roles for the team, or guys who had down years the year before but bounced back(like Adam's did last year and hopefully Randall will do this year).

Here's my list-
1-Dean Lowry
At Northwestern he reminded me of JJ quite a bit. Obviously nobody on the Packers is gonna be anywhere near him, but before he sprained his MCL, he was throwing guys around pretty good on the DL and getting a lot of pressure. I said in another thread I think the Packers will play with 3 DL more this year(maybe a 3-3-5?) because of his improvement.

2-Kenny Clark
Staying on the DL, Clark who was just 20 years old last year could finally be a 1st round defensive player who contributes and makes an impact after a long run of late first round picks on that side of the ball. He looks like he packed on a lot of muscle and he's been collapsing the pocket this year.

These two guys make Mike Daniels SO much more dangerous IMO. He already plays like a guy on PCP who thinks the cops are chasing him every down as it is, if those guys are good enough that teams can't double Daniels, the front 7(or 8 with Burnett/Jones) might make a whole lot of plays on the other side of the ball.

3-Quentin Rollins
Randall talks a lot more and you hear a lot more from Randall, but Rollins is playing really physical and really aggressive in the slot. I think a healthy Rollins can provide what Casey Heyward did his rookie year and create takeaway's.

4-Josh Jones
The guy finally played like we'd heard he'd been practicing all off-season. He was blowing up pulling guards, he was playing deep CF. He's the epitome of what the Packers are trying to do and what the Falcons did last year in getting faster, more physical and more versatile.

I know there will be more, but beyond those 4, I would just be guessing at RB...and that GUESS would be the kid from UTEP Jones as he has looked the best to me, but I'm not sure if he'll get his chance or what the pecking order is at RB.

At WR'er, I like everyone we've got who has a shot to make the roster, but with Nelson, Adams, presumably Cobb, Bennett, Kendricks and then I would assume Allison as our #4 WR'er, it'd likely cause an injury for any receiver to jump into this group.

Joe Thomas would be the 5th guy on my list because he looks like he's taken another step to becoming an all around LB'er, but I would say his "breakout" year came last year.

I think were definitely moving in the right direction on defense with more physical guys with speed who can play the run and the pass.

Thoughts?

Posted: September 02, 2017, 6:14 AM Post
I haven't paid as close of attention to the preseason because of the brewers but i will through out that either Janis or Cobb will be cut today. the WR cuts will be the most interesting to me today.

also brown over gunter

Posted: September 02, 2017, 9:56 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Global Moderator
I wonder if the Packers would take a look at a veteran o-lineman cut today like John Greco to serve as a multi-position interior line backup if a guy like Barclay isn't going to be able to go right out of the gate.

Eric Winston was released by the Bengals as well, who could provide depth at OT if we're not comfortable with the Spriggs/Murphy combo.

Posted: September 02, 2017, 12:42 PM Post
According to sources, the Packers are looking at guards who have been cut.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 111 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply