LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 50 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Packer Game Day Thread [Packers 1-0]

Offline  Re: Packer Game Day Thread [Packers 1-0]

Posted: September 10, 2017, 9:46 PM Post
docduany said:
Good win. Murphy held his own, which is encouraging. I was really surprised that Bulaga couldn't answer the bell. Aaron's foot, ankle or whatever was sore is concerning. The defense looked stout against the run. I'm surprised the Seahags didn't spread the Packers D out a bit more and try to throw it. It seemed like they had success through the air at times. I'd have pressed that more, but i'm no Bevel. (I just found out about McGinn's website and I'm in LOVE!! Huge fan. I think the JS coverage has really been lacking since his departure.)

He downplayed it after the game saying he got his foot stepped on...so hopefully that's all it is and he doesn't have some nagging lower leg injury.

McGinn had a lot of really good stuff when he talked to opposing execs. That was the content I really missed.

Next week may be a better indicator of how much we've improved from last year with Atlanta's passing attack. It'll be interesting to see how we cover Jones and their backs in particular.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2017, 10:21 AM Post
Two take-aways for me:

1) A win is a win in week 1. And actually, the offense actually looked sharper than they usually do the 1st week.

2) No serious injuries. NFL season is a war of attrition, every week you come out pretty much un-scathed is a big plus.

No opinion really on the defense. Yes, they had a great game, but let's be honest, they weren't really tested. We will find out more next week.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Packer Game Day Thread

Posted: September 11, 2017, 10:53 AM Post
OnTheBlack said:
trwi7 said:

I'm not even in the Buck and Aikman should never call Packers games camp or anything but that non-PI call in the 3rd in the end zone? Well before halftime Rodgers threw a pass about 30 yards downfield and underthrew it to Adams, Adams came back for the ball and the DB without looking back for the ball just ran over Adams, no call from the refs and no mention of the missed call from Buck or Aikman even after multiple replays (it was blatantly obvious in real time.)

I actually like the duo, but they were terrible today. I don't agree that he(Lane) deserved an ejection, but they kept harping on that as if it impacted the game. And Rodgers DID get blocked in the back and it was obvious. Not sure how they and Mike Periera thought that shouldn't have been called.

They refs weren't great today. They did blow that call on Adams, but they also blew that call on Brice who was all over Graham in the endzone on 3rd down and there were multiple plays they could have called holding on Seattle's OL. But they just kept going on and on about the calls that went against Seattle.

That one was close, but if you watch the replay Graham tried something very vet-savvy. Rather than put his arms up for the ball, he wrapped his arms around the back of Brice's helmet and actually pulled him into his body, trying to draw the PI flag. I had to watch the replay a couple of times before I noticed what Graham was trying to do. From that perspective, it's a good non-call.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2017, 11:00 AM Post
There's a chance that this Seattle defense is the toughest challenge our offense will face during the regular season. Couple that with the fact it usually takes a game or two for the offense to find its identity, and it bodes well for the remainder of the season.

On the other side of the ball, I have tempered enthusiasm. I *hope* our defense has improved (and it's not just Seattle's offense that stinks). Next week will be the big challenge. Defending NFC Champions opening a new stadium. The Atlanta offense is much better than Seattle's. But that Atlanta defense, as good as they may be, is nowhere near the level of Seattle.

I would have been OK going 1-1 in the first 2 games with both of those teams being Super Bowl contenders, so it's nice to get one under our belt right away. Going 2-0 gives us a huge advantage in terms of determining home field advantage with the head-to-head tie breakers. Atlanta going 2-0 essentially gives them a 2 game lead on us in that scenario.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 7:09 AM Post
Point Beer Is Best said:
That one was close, but if you watch the replay Graham tried something very vet-savvy. Rather than put his arms up for the ball, he wrapped his arms around the back of Brice's helmet and actually pulled him into his body, trying to draw the PI flag. I had to watch the replay a couple of times before I noticed what Graham was trying to do. From that perspective, it's a good non-call.

Plus, the way Wilson threw the ball under pressure, determining that it was a throw-away (hence un-catchable) is understandable.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2017, 12:50 AM Post
Point Beer Is Best said:

Hmm..I have to agree to disagree with you on this. House was in good position, but Brice had his hands on Graham the whole time and Graham didn't make contact until he was trying to get free and the ball was coming down.

I initially thought it was not catch able, but after rewinding a few times, that was just a really bad call.

https://twitter.com/LosRealAli/status/9 ... 20/video/1

That's the only link I can find.
I think it shows two things. The PI on Brice was pretty obvious and not needed as House and he were in perfect position with him hemmed in along the back of the endzone, but also...Mike Daniels just wrecks offenses.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2017, 11:20 AM Post
What's the deal with the no P.I. call on the Jordy play when he got tackled while the ball was still 5 yards away from him? Was that the correct call because a Seattle player got his hands on the ball, or should that have been P.I. anyway?

OnTheBlack said:
Point Beer Is Best said:

Hmm..I have to agree to disagree with you on this. House was in good position, but Brice had his hands on Graham the whole time and Graham didn't make contact until he was trying to get free and the ball was coming down.

I initially thought it was not catch able, but after rewinding a few times, that was just a really bad call.

I think it shows two things. The PI on Brice was pretty obvious and not needed as House and he were in perfect position with him hemmed in along the back of the endzone, but also...Mike Daniels just wrecks offenses.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 14, 2017, 7:19 PM Post
Global Moderator
monkeyman343434 said:
What's the deal with the no P.I. call on the Jordy play when he got tackled while the ball was still 5 yards away from him? Was that the correct call because a Seattle player got his hands on the ball, or should that have been P.I. anyway?

OnTheBlack said:
Point Beer Is Best said:

I just watched the replay on NFL.com. The refs messed up on both sides.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 17, 2017, 7:40 PM Post
Another year goes by and this defense is beyond horrendous against a good team. It's downright painful watching this garbage.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Packer Game Day Thread [Packers 1-0]

Posted: September 17, 2017, 8:16 PM Post
Global Moderator
yup, another night and it's the same ol' thing.

Hope we perk up in the second half a bit more. (Doesn't help to have Daniels and Jordy out of the game, either.)

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 17, 2017, 8:25 PM Post
pitchleague said:
yup, another night and it's the same ol' thing.

Hope we perk up in the second half a bit more. (Doesn't help to have Daniels and Jordy out of the game, either.)

I wonder if we could ever hold McCarthy and/or Capers accountable for something? Be it the Falcons game(s), Kapernick setting records, or blowing Arizona playoff games, it really gets old watching this trash year after year. Almost would rather be bad so expectations are low.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 17, 2017, 9:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
Two very questionable calls don't get called and it's 27 - 14. (34 - 10 as I type)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 17, 2017, 9:28 PM Post
Not to mention what we might have gotten at the end of the half.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 17, 2017, 9:49 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
This looks like literally the exact same team as last year, the year before, etc.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 17, 2017, 10:24 PM Post
It always amazes me how it's always Capers and McCarthy's fault. It's week two, Rodges has played poorly, we're missing not only our top 2 tackles, but our 3rd tackle(or 4th, but our 2nd string LT) so we're down to our 5th tackle and a guy who played guard in the pre-season..we lose our best defensive player who last week led our defense when they dominated the 2nd best team in the NFC(excluding the Packers).

Then we lose Nelson. So we're down Bulaga, Bahktari, Daniels, Nelson as well as lesser players like Brice(who actually played about 80 pct of the snaps last week), Brooks among others.

And it's the coaches fault that the Refs blow a call that negated a huge play that would have put us in Atlanta territory with 2 TO's and 1:20 to go in the game? It's the coaches fault that Rodgers throws a uncharacteristic but AWFUL pick trying to go over the top of Trufant in Cover2 Man that leads to a TD? It's the coaches fault that Rodgers throws the ball and it's ruled a lateral(which I'm pretty sure they got the call wrong as it wouldn't have been a forward pass if not for Rodgers getting hit, thus should have been a forward pass per the rules) that gives Atlanta another TD?

McCarthy came out with a very good game plan in a nearly impossible situation, they just didn't execute it(losing Nelson hurts) and a couple of big plays completely changed the momentum of the game.

As for Capers, it's amazing how great of a coach he is with talent. We have had the top defense with him twice...when we had Woodson, Collins, Raji, Matthews, etc..etc..etc..

It's just so easy and in my opinion lazy to say, "oh, Capers is awful" when the defense performs poorly. What happened to Gus Bradley, the greatest defensive mind of his era(a bit hyperbole, but he was extremely highly touted) after leaving Seattle for the Jags? A defensive coordinator is only as good as his scheme(ours is obviously solid since the man who helped create it is run by more than half the league), the talent level on the field(ours took a massive hit when Daniels went down) and the level of understanding the players on the field have(which is difficult when you have a guy who got here last week playing, a rookie coming in for a guy who played starter snaps last week in Jones and another rookie who had to come in for a veteran in King for House).

Atlanta was an elite offensive team last year..yet amazingly the coordinator who led that team last year is in SF which currently has a terrible offense.

I remember when McGinn would interview executives from around the league and ask for their opinions on coordinators and they'd say they just can't believe Packers fans are upset with Capers, a HOF coordinator. When Perry, Matthews, Daniels are all on the field, the Packers defense is a very good D. When you start chipping away at those players health and you have big momentum swings in a big game, things are going to look bad.

It was an ugly game, but the Packers came out of the first two weeks vs Seattle and on the road as Atlanta opens it's new Stadium 1-1 and I have every bit the confidence in them I did last week. The secondary looks vastly improved, Dix had a terrible game, but has a large enough body of work. They'll be fine if they can avoid the serious injuries on defense. And their offense is always among the leagues elite.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 17, 2017, 11:14 PM Post
tough night for the Packers. Some bad calls, brutal injuries, multiple drops (Cobb in end zone, Adams and Cobb with 3rd down drops, and Bennett). Not sure they all were officially drops, but all should have been caught.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Packer Game Day Thread [Packers 1-0]

Posted: September 18, 2017, 7:53 AM Post
Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned with the loss too much. It is a hard place to win at with a team of full health. Not only that but like others have posted, there were some swing plays that were either horribly officiated or we just did not step up and make the play. Do those sound like excuses? They sure are but sometimes it's just the reality of it.

I do hope we have finally learned the lesson of playing Randall against a good WR. He just can't do it. He is not athletic enough. They drafted King for a reason (tall, length, strong), so let him play and learn how to cover those guys.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 18, 2017, 8:20 AM Post
I was impressed with King and Jones when we saw them. Jones is a big hitter, King looked good in coverage.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 18, 2017, 9:25 AM Post
OnTheBlack said:
It always amazes me how it's always Capers and McCarthy's fault.

Not all their fault, add Ted Thompson too. This really is the same team they've been for years now. A very good team, especially when Rodgers is at his best. But they haven't gotten better.

Injuries, bad calls, yada yada yada. This isn't about one game, I've been saying for years it's time for a change. Thompson, McCarthy, and Capers are all good at their jobs. Let's get that out of the way. But in professional sports, sometimes it's worth changing just for the sake of change.

This team still doesn't know how to blitz. It's obvious every down how many are rushing and where they're coming from. Not disguised whatsoever. Secondary still gets exposed over the middle over and over again. 3-4, nickel, psycho, turbo, whatever gimmick they want to use results are the same. Offense is predictable too. Hurry-up really isn't most of the time. 3 TE, a RB who is a receiver, a WR who can run the ball...so many weapons with so little imagination.

Oh, and Thompson. To this day I really don't think he understands what type of athletes are needed for 3-4. Year in, year out a parade of mediocre LBs and "rush" guys come and go. No depth on O line, and same old same old in the secondary.

That's why I 've wanted a change for along time. Fresh take on things, revamp both sides of the ball, new message for a different messenger.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 18, 2017, 11:19 AM Post
Global Moderator
Brew4U said:
Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned with the loss too much. It is a hard place to win at with a team of full health. Not only that but like others have posted, there were some swing plays that were either horribly officiated or we just did not step up and make the play. Do those sound like excuses? They sure are but sometimes it's just the reality of it.

That is the reality. It's like "next man up" syndrome. In the NFL, the next man up is a big downgrade in most cases. The only concern I have about the game last night was the lack of any kind of pass rush. They really missed Daniels but Perry was non existent.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 50 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply