LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 31 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

TJ Watt

Offline  Re: TJ Watt

Posted: September 12, 2017, 6:52 PM Post
LouisEly said:
Randall and Rollins were hurt last year. Randall had leg surgery in the middle of the season and then returned to play. Corners who don't have legs that are 100% don't do well.

It's just totally ridiculous to call either a scrub at this point in their career first of all. Especially when they both had very strong rookie seasons despite such limited experience playing football, and then like you say, suffered injuries that Corners just cannot play with.

If anything, they shouldn't have been out there at all last year. I don't know how the hell anyone could cover an NFL WR'er less than a month and a half after having surgery for a torn groin. It's just insane given the change of direction needed.

Also, this is just speculation that he drafted for need. Nobody knows that to be the case and people DEFINITELY weren't upset during the draft. Almost every Packers fan at the time was thrilled with what they came away with.

Lets keep in mind, as long and as athletic as Watt looks, it takes longer for a CB to develop and we DO have a 6'3 CB who ran a 4.4 40 and who showed in the pre-season he can come up and hit a guy.

This thread is NOT meant to be a referendum so much on King(especially at this point) as how surprisingly impressive Watt has looked(through one regular season game and the pre-season).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2017, 6:52 PM Post
King was drafted to replace Shields whose career was over, not to replace Randall or Rollins. In today's NFL, corners are like starting pitchers - there is no such thing as too many good ones.

Anyone who paid attention to the combine knows that Watt blew it up and was one of the two most athletic LBs there. His college progression eerily mirrored CMIII - very athletic, limited experience at position. What Watt did his junior year, after essentially only one year of practicing at OLB, was pretty amazing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2017, 12:49 AM Post
LouisEly said:
King was drafted to replace Shields whose career was over, not to replace Randall or Rollins. In today's NFL, corners are like starting pitchers - there is no such thing as too many good ones.

Anyone who paid attention to the combine knows that Watt blew it up and was one of the two most athletic LBs there. His college progression eerily mirrored CMIII - very athletic, limited experience at position. What Watt did his junior year, after essentially only one year of practicing at OLB, was pretty amazing.

Everyone wanted Watt. But very-very few Packers fans were upset after the way the draft played out. If there are people calling for Thompson's head in 3-4 years(IF-IF-IF King/Biegel aren't studs and Watt is a star) it'll be disingenuous.

Rollins is a guy who is really versatile. I think he's basically a little more athletic version of Hyde. Randall is more of a quick twitch athlete and is more capable of playing outside. Both played very well this past week(as well as their rookie years and early last year before getting hurt, see Randall's game saving play vs Jax). Heck, we never would have let Heyward go had Randall and Rollins not played so well as rookies. That's a move that you can't blame Thompson for, but in retrospect would have liked to have been able to go back and do differently.

But as you say, we lost our #1 WR'er. I would like to see them upgrade their MLB'er position and I think Foster could be really good, but I'd have been upset if they'd have gone that direction over CB/OLB'er. That was closer to RB in terms of need.

It's not a surprise though when you lose one of the best players in the game at a particular position when you try to replenish that the following year. Frankly, Thompson blew it the last couple times we had significant injuries to big time players(Collins and Finley) by not addressing the problem and we ended up blowing games because we had Peprah, M.D Jennings, Banjo, Quarless, Bostick, Backman, Perillo among others. So we had to do something at CB and there just happened to be a group of players available that were ranked similarly at least from the outside, one of whom we were guaranteed to get if we moved back. And had Thompson NOT picked a CB first, I think that would have gotten a lot of negative reactions. You really do need to be 4-5 deep there.

I wish I could have worded this better. I don't think it's really fair to make this a Watt vs King/Biegel type thread. It's really just a TJ Watt thread...though the comparisons are inevitably going to be made. I'm still really high on King and think Biegel could be a solid rotational player. An upgrade from Fackrell at least.

Now Thompson could have made everyone happy by finally going out and nabbing a top free agent in Gillmore or AJ Boyle for roughly what Shields was making and then grabbed Watt in the 1st...but that was never gonna happen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 1:28 PM Post
Watt Week 2 - two assisted tackles, while King played pretty well against one of the best WRs in the league.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 1:32 PM Post
chuckiehacks said:
Watt Week 2 - two assisted tackles, while King played pretty well against one of the best WRs in the league.

I watched about 10 plays total of the Vikings-Steelers game and in those few plays, I saw him bat down a ball and get heavy pressure on the QB two other plays. I also saw him standing on the sideline during one series of Vikings offense, wasn't sure if he got hurt or not.

“There's a fine line between being confident and cocky, or overconfident. This is an extremely humbling game. But if you don't believe in yourself, no one else is going to believe in you.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 3:58 PM Post
Now Thompson could have made everyone happy by finally going out and nabbing a top free agent in Gillmore or AJ Boyle for roughly what Shields was making and then grabbed Watt in the 1st...but that was never gonna happen.

No, that still won't make me happy. What would make me happy is if TT drafted better. He's over-stayed his welcome by 4-5 years already.

As for Watt, of course the Packers should drafted him. He's exactly the type of LB they needed, and have needed for years. But to this day I don't think anyone in GB knows what type of players are need to play the 3-4.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 6:04 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:

No, that still won't make me happy. What would make me happy is if TT drafted better. He's over-stayed his welcome by 4-5 years already.

As for Watt, of course the Packers should drafted him. He's exactly the type of LB they needed, and have needed for years. But to this day I don't think anyone in GB knows what type of players are need to play the 3-4.

Yes they do. They are former college DE that need 4+ years to be turned into LBs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 19, 2017, 10:14 PM Post
Nobody's arguing that the Packers don't need a guy like TJ Watt. It's more that the Packers have a bigger need for a good CB.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 23, 2017, 8:03 AM Post
Global Moderator
FVBrewerFan said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but there are few better than him in the league. He isn't perfect but no one is. He is a major reason why we have been in the top of the league for years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2017, 7:52 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Global Moderator
Not directly involved in the Watt discussion but relevant to the draft as a whole this year: Josh Jones was all over the field today, and has the look of an always around the ball defender that makes big plays.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 04, 2017, 3:04 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
FVBrewerFan said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but there are few better than him in the league. He isn't perfect but no one is. He is a major reason why we have been in the top of the league for years.

Agreed. It's amazing when you go back and look at the draft from 4-5 years ago how many busts there are and how hard it is to find productive players.

As it stands, the Packers have Nick Perry and Clay Matthews starting and Ahmad Brooks at their top 3 OLB'ers. Not sure exactly what's wrong with that.

In this case I think two things can be true, Thompson made the right move for the Packers and TJ Watt could still end up being a dominant player....we got a OLB'er in Biegel(NOT a 4-3 DE) and a young, physical 6'3 Corner.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 31 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply