LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 25 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2018 Green Bay Packers draft preview and predictions

Offline  Re: 2018 Green Bay Packers draft preview and predictions

Posted: April 26, 2018, 2:21 PM Post
I would be surprised if Gutekunst took the 5'10" Alexander, after re-affirming his belief in the Ron Wolf height/size metrics for DB's. Ward is borderline at 5'11" and just 183lbs, but probably in consideration. James for sure fits the profile at 6'3" and 212, but I don't think he gets past Tampa Bay at 7. If James does slip, they should be on the phone with SF or Oakland for Pick 9 or 10 if he made it that far. Washington sitting at #13 is kind of a problem because their needs are pretty similar to our own.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2018 Green Bay Packers draft preview and predictions

Posted: April 26, 2018, 2:58 PM Post
I don't follow any college football at all. The only name I know in the draft is Mayfield and only because for a month or two I couldn't escape him.

Without doing any draft homework at all I hope they can get more pass rush with the first rounder. No clue how deep that is this year but it can never be oversupplied on a modern NFL roster. As bad as the secondary talent is, an impact rusher will do more to help both areas than a rookie in the secondary.

So, if that's possible, a pass rusher, please.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 26, 2018, 4:12 PM Post
I would be very surprised if the Packers spent the draft capital necessary to move up earlier in the first round to get a player who may not be a complete player at that position.

Ward has questions about whether he is big enough to play the boundary. He can be an excellent slot corner, but you can find good slot corners in the 3rd/4th. Ward is a guy you take if he's BPA at #14, but not the type of guy you spend the picks to move up to get in the first.

Same with Davenport - questions about position (can he play OLB, or is he just a DE in a 4-3) and level of competition (he didn't dominate - 8.5 sacks and 17 TFLs are very good, but not what I call dominating at that level). Not the guy you give up picks to move up to get, but you take him if he's BPA at your pick.

I'm more confident that Landry and to a lesser extent Josh Jackson and Roquan Smith are complete players at their position; while not tall, Landry has long arms and you don't need to be 6'5" to be a great pass rusher. Matthews and Perry are both 6'3"; Landry is 6'2".

If the Packers spend the capital to move up, it's because a guy like Chubb or Tremaine Edmunds is there at #9 or #10 because he doesn't have the questions that guys like Ward and Davenport have.

BTW - Edmunds is the guy I had as "If he's still available" in the 1st, but he was gaining a lot of helium at the time and thought no way he'd last until #9/10 much less 14.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 26, 2018, 4:53 PM Post
Global Moderator
LouisEly said:
If the Packers spend the capital to move up, it's because a guy like Chubb or Tremaine Edmunds is there at #9 or #10 because he doesn't have the questions that guys like Ward and Davenport have.

My thoughts exactly. If they move up, I want it to be because a guy like Chubb or Edmunds, arguably the best players at their position and with a huge gap to the second-tier prospects behind them, are falling.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 29, 2018, 1:18 PM Post
Jackson, Madison, Donnerson, Seisay, and Lancaster... not a bad year. [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 25 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply