LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)

Author Message
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20
#21

Posted: April 15, 2019, 5:53 PM Post
Posts: 5223
patrickgpe said:
I am not surprised. If you aren’t sure you are an1st round pick, you shouldn’t leave. There isn’t much of a market in the nba for sub 6’ players who doesn’t play great defense, no matter how much of a prolific scorer you are.

I think he does have an nba future, but if got taken in the 2nd round, it’s a non-guaranteed contract.



But can he really help his stock anymore? There doesn't seem to be much room for him to grow. He goes back a year and I think it actually hurts him....unless he plays substantially better.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#22

Posted: April 15, 2019, 5:59 PM Post
Posts: 5223
tmwiese55 said:

Chance 1 wasn't his fault as it was Bo's call to not take Sam. Chance 2 is a clear longshot as they have just been playing for their rivals and Joey probably had to deal with tons of BS grief from idiot UW fans since he picked MU. Both could easily be a bit anti-UW at this point, and it's understandable why. Still they would fit really well IMO.



Yeah, my least favorite part of college sports is the sad, pathetic losers who sit here and bash kids because they don't go and play for the school YOU prefer.

I always think of that Alabama fan who poisoned the tree at Auburn. Tyler Herro got bashed in quite a few places and now looks like a 1st round draft pick after a year at UK and a really nice 2nd half and tourney.

That said, I would hope the Hausers wouldn't allow a few twitter trolls to impact their futures that much.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#23

Posted: April 15, 2019, 7:15 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2118
Brew4U said:
They have to sit out a year though, correct? These transfer rules are confusing.


Joey also enrolled early for the spring semester last year, which used up his redshirt. So not only sitting out a year, but he only gets to play two.

Really bad look. Have to think Wojo is out if he can't win in the tournament next year, or at least make it and put together a heck of a recruiting class. I really can't get excited for MUBB anymore.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#24

Posted: April 15, 2019, 7:42 PM Post
Posts: 5223
folly412 said:
Brew4U said:
They have to sit out a year though, correct? These transfer rules are confusing.


Joey also enrolled early for the spring semester last year, which used up his redshirt. So not only sitting out a year, but he only gets to play two.

Really bad look. Have to think Wojo is out if he can't win in the tournament next year, or at least make it and put together a heck of a recruiting class. I really can't get excited for MUBB anymore.



You sure that's how that works?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#25

Posted: April 16, 2019, 3:39 PM Post
Posts: 187
At this point it would surprise me if they don't end up in Madison. Sam's girlfriend is on the UW volleyball team. Gard really wanted Sam badly but was overruled by Bo so I don't think there are any hard feelings there. The Badgers have 3 open scholarships so they have the room. Mr. Hauser also played college basketball with Brad Davison's dad at Duluth and they are close (despite the supposed "nut punch".) They are also both very good friends with Trevor Anderson. If they have to sit out a year, why not do it among friends close to home with a program that could be a top-5 team in 2020-21 with them on board?

Perusing a few CBB message boards, a moderator on the Virginia board that appears to be connected doesn't think there is interest on the part of UVA. One of the Buckyville posters that is very close to the Bennett's has been dropping hints suggesting that UW is the likely destination. I personally feel they put MSU and UVA out there as possibilities so that they can get through finals on May 10 without it coming out that they are headed to Madison. Might make their final few weeks on campus a little rough...


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#26

Posted: April 16, 2019, 4:26 PM Post
Posts: 1029
Yes it seems more than likely they are going to Madison, too many connections at UW and coming as a package and talking 2 unexpected scholarships for guys who won't play next year takes them out of the mix for a lot of programs.

What a big blow to Marquette, Wojo continues to underachieve considering his recruits and taking this hit to his best team has to be the end.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#27

Posted: April 16, 2019, 8:04 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 7007
HiAndTight said:
folly412 said:
Brew4U said:
They have to sit out a year though, correct? These transfer rules are confusing.


Joey also enrolled early for the spring semester last year, which used up his redshirt. So not only sitting out a year, but he only gets to play two.

Really bad look. Have to think Wojo is out if he can't win in the tournament next year, or at least make it and put together a heck of a recruiting class. I really can't get excited for MUBB anymore.



You sure that's how that works?

Yes, that is how it works. He enrolled early so he had to be either eligible or redshirted the spring semester, and he redshirted.

Technically he only redshirted one semester, but what's the point of playing just the fall semester of your fourth year of eligibility?

I think the Hausers are kind of full of themselves and want to go somewhere they can be the #1 and #2 guys and put up 20ppg. Wasn't going to happen at Marquette. If Joey wants to be a #1 and put up 20ppg, he needs to improve on his 16" vertical.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#28

Posted: April 17, 2019, 7:23 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3279
Joey could apply for another year given the circumstances - only 1 semester redshirting, transferring, etc. The NCAA may not approve it, but I've given up figuring out their decisions.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#29

Posted: April 17, 2019, 12:29 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 10075
Can't Joey make a claim for a medical redshirt as well?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#30

Posted: April 20, 2019, 6:13 PM Post
Posts: 14065
Some info:

Greg Gard visited with the Hauser brothers yesterday in Stevens Point. Sounds like Virginia isn’t really an option and if anyone outside of Wisconsin gets them it would likely be MSU. A bit more out there, but rumor has it Wisconsin has known they would leave Marquette for at least a month.

It sounds like they will pick Wisconsin for location purposes essentially:

Joey - Always wanted to play close to home and likely preferred to go to Wisconsin, but wanted to follow his brother.

Sam - He has a girlfriend that goes Wisconsin

Parents - Big influence on them and definitely don’t want them going out of state. They know their parents want to watch them play.

Ego - They want to be the guys on the team and score. They can pretty much be the Wisconsin basketball team. And yes...Howard was the final straw. No way they were playing again with Howard from the reliable people I have talked to.

They likely know they are going to Wisconsin, but are waiting to announce until they are off Marquette campus. That would be connecting predictive dots in my opinion.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#31

Posted: May 07, 2019, 3:13 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5504
Wojo signed a 5 year contract extension today, which locks him up through 2023-24. While contracts in the NCAA mean no more than what is the buyout, I am kind of surprised. Yes, this does allow recruits to know that there is stability in the program, but after loosing the Hausers, I think MU could be in for a tough season next year, even with Howard. Seems like pretty good job security for a man that has not won a NCAA tournament game yet.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#32

Posted: May 07, 2019, 10:12 PM Post
User avatar

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Posts: 6944
Apparently there's a rumor going around that Howard had some fun with one of the Hausers' girlfriends. I have no idea if that is true or not but it sort of makes sense with the Wojo extension today.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#33

Posted: May 08, 2019, 1:28 AM Post
Posts: 1392
LouisEly said:
Yes, that is how it works. He enrolled early so he had to be either eligible or redshirted the spring semester, and he redshirted.

Technically he only redshirted one semester, but what's the point of playing just the fall semester of your fourth year of eligibility?

I think the Hausers are kind of full of themselves and want to go somewhere they can be the #1 and #2 guys and put up 20ppg. Wasn't going to happen at Marquette. If Joey wants to be a #1 and put up 20ppg, he needs to improve on his 16" vertical.



That used to be called a Grey Shirt. It was a way of delaying enrollment, especially in football for potential preferred walk on's hoping to get a scholarship as someone will inevitably lose one.

So I'm not convinced he loses that year. Not yet anyway. I'm also not even sure a Grey Shirt is still a thing. I do know the Badgers were still using it about 6-7 years ago.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#34

Posted: May 08, 2019, 1:32 AM Post
Posts: 1392
owbc said:
Apparently there's a rumor going around that Howard had some fun with one of the Hausers' girlfriends. I have no idea if that is true or not but it sort of makes sense with the Wojo extension today.



At first glance that sounds absolutely ridiculous, but if you're playing with someone who you just despise...that'd make it pretty hard to play basketball together I'd think.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#35

Posted: May 08, 2019, 6:33 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 513
OnTheBlack said:
LouisEly said:
Yes, that is how it works. He enrolled early so he had to be either eligible or redshirted the spring semester, and he redshirted.

Technically he only redshirted one semester, but what's the point of playing just the fall semester of your fourth year of eligibility?

I think the Hausers are kind of full of themselves and want to go somewhere they can be the #1 and #2 guys and put up 20ppg. Wasn't going to happen at Marquette. If Joey wants to be a #1 and put up 20ppg, he needs to improve on his 16" vertical.



That used to be called a Grey Shirt. It was a way of delaying enrollment, especially in football for potential preferred walk on's hoping to get a scholarship as someone will inevitably lose one.

So I'm not convinced he loses that year. Not yet anyway. I'm also not even sure a Grey Shirt is still a thing. I do know the Badgers were still using it about 6-7 years ago.


A greyshirt still exists but you aren’t on scholarship the first semester/year. Joey would have been on scholarship, so not a greyshirt.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#36

Posted: May 08, 2019, 7:14 AM Post
Posts: 14065
patrickgpe said:
I am kind of surprised.

Yes, this does allow recruits to know that there is stability in the program.


I am not

Because of this...It is just trying to save the program from a total short term collapse.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#37

Posted: May 08, 2019, 7:15 AM Post
Posts: 4183
MrTPlush said:
Some info:

Greg Gard visited with the Hauser brothers yesterday in Stevens Point. Sounds like Virginia isn’t really an option and if anyone outside of Wisconsin gets them it would likely be MSU.


They are visiting Virginia this Thursday/Friday. Seems odd to travel that far to visit a school that isn't an option.

By the sounds of it MSU only has 1 open scholarship, so they would either need to dump someone or keep 1 of the brothers off scholarship for a year.

I hope you are right that WI is the likely destination, but I'm not getting too excited about it until they sign.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#38

Posted: May 08, 2019, 11:03 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 816
Sounds like Joey might have a little growing up to do. Probably a common thing when a "superstar" kid's work ethic is called into question.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#39

Posted: May 08, 2019, 2:39 PM Post
Posts: 5223
areacodes said:
OnTheBlack said:
LouisEly said:
Yes, that is how it works. He enrolled early so he had to be either eligible or redshirted the spring semester, and he redshirted.

Technically he only redshirted one semester, but what's the point of playing just the fall semester of your fourth year of eligibility?

I think the Hausers are kind of full of themselves and want to go somewhere they can be the #1 and #2 guys and put up 20ppg. Wasn't going to happen at Marquette. If Joey wants to be a #1 and put up 20ppg, he needs to improve on his 16" vertical.



That used to be called a Grey Shirt. It was a way of delaying enrollment, especially in football for potential preferred walk on's hoping to get a scholarship as someone will inevitably lose one.

So I'm not convinced he loses that year. Not yet anyway. I'm also not even sure a Grey Shirt is still a thing. I do know the Badgers were still using it about 6-7 years ago.


A greyshirt still exists but you aren’t on scholarship the first semester/year. Joey would have been on scholarship, so not a greyshirt.



Again, are we just assuming this? A private school like Marquette can do so much without giving him an athletic scholarship for the spring semester. If he's a halfway decent student they can give him an academic scholarship.

I find it hard to believe he burnt a year so he could to Marquette a half a season early and burn a year of eligibility. Football players routinely start school early so they can get a jump on spring practices and get the playbook down without burning any eligibility. You have 8 eligible semesters to complete within 5 years of enrolling....except in about a dozen different scenario's.


I guess I don't really care until I know where he's planning on going anyway. If he goes to UVA, who cares how many years he has. If he goes to Madison, then I care a lot more.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#40

Posted: May 08, 2019, 3:53 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 513
HiAndTight said:
areacodes said:
OnTheBlack said:
That used to be called a Grey Shirt. It was a way of delaying enrollment, especially in football for potential preferred walk on's hoping to get a scholarship as someone will inevitably lose one.

So I'm not convinced he loses that year. Not yet anyway. I'm also not even sure a Grey Shirt is still a thing. I do know the Badgers were still using it about 6-7 years ago.


A greyshirt still exists but you aren’t on scholarship the first semester/year. Joey would have been on scholarship, so not a greyshirt.



Again, are we just assuming this? A private school like Marquette can do so much without giving him an athletic scholarship for the spring semester. If he's a halfway decent student they can give him an academic scholarship.

I find it hard to believe he burnt a year so he could to Marquette a half a season early and burn a year of eligibility. Football players routinely start school early so they can get a jump on spring practices and get the playbook down without burning any eligibility. You have 8 eligible semesters to complete within 5 years of enrolling....except in about a dozen different scenario's.


I guess I don't really care until I know where he's planning on going anyway. If he goes to UVA, who cares how many years he has. If he goes to Madison, then I care a lot more.


https://www.stevenspointjournal.com/story/sports/2018/01/19/decision-enroll-early-marquette-tough-call-joey-hauser/1046777001/

Article from Jan 2018 - indicates he was enrolling early and redshirting to rehab his ankle injury. Would have 4 years of eligibility remaining starting the 2018/2019 season.

There is a possibility he could get a waiver to get the year back, but I’m not sure how likely that is to be approved and I believe he needs to use all of his eligibility before he can apply for it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nodakfan17 and 4 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test