LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)

Author Message
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#41

Posted: May 08, 2019, 4:12 PM Post
Posts: 5223
areacodes said:

https://www.stevenspointjournal.com/story/sports/2018/01/19/decision-enroll-early-marquette-tough-call-joey-hauser/1046777001/

Article from Jan 2018 - indicates he was enrolling early and redshirting to rehab his ankle injury. Would have 4 years of eligibility remaining starting the 2018/2019 season.

There is a possibility he could get a waiver to get the year back, but I’m not sure how likely that is to be approved and I believe he needs to use all of his eligibility before he can apply for it.



Thank you. I'm guessing they were operating under the assumption he'd be able to get a medical hardship for that year given that pretty much all the criteria need is listed in that article. Injury has to be season-ending, has to be during your college career or your Sr year of HS(I think it has to be your Sr year, not 100 pct on that, but I believe that's the case), and you can't have played in more than 30 pct of the season. All of which fit him.


Anyway, back to the actual basketball side of it, how do the two Hausers compare with Decker? I don't watch a lot of Marquette BB, but they seem to be at least somewhat similar. Have similar games. I'd guess Decker would be more athletic but I don't know that to be true. Long way of asking if either of them can hope to have NBA careers. I realize Decker hasn't lit the league on fire, but a lot of that is injuries.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#42

Posted: May 08, 2019, 5:50 PM Post
Posts: 14065
wildcat83 said:
MrTPlush said:
Some info:

Greg Gard visited with the Hauser brothers yesterday in Stevens Point. Sounds like Virginia isn’t really an option and if anyone outside of Wisconsin gets them it would likely be MSU.


They are visiting Virginia this Thursday/Friday. Seems odd to travel that far to visit a school that isn't an option.

By the sounds of it MSU only has 1 open scholarship, so they would either need to dump someone or keep 1 of the brothers off scholarship for a year.

I hope you are right that WI is the likely destination, but I'm not getting too excited about it until they sign.


I think it is one of those things where you do your due diligence and see what is out there/having fun being blessed with such an opportunity.

From what I have heard they had a plan before leaving, at least pretty sure what they were doing. Kind of a “Well if someone wows us” we will go there instead. But really Wisconsin makes all the sense.

Unless they suddenly get their heart set on a championship (cause sorry it will not happen in Wisconsin) I don’t really see any way to sway them outside of Wisconsin. They can be Wisconsin. That bodes well for Sam’s ego and Joey wanted to be at Wisconsin in the first place.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#43

Posted: May 09, 2019, 9:18 PM Post
Posts: 1392
MrTPlush said:

I think it is one of those things where you do your due diligence and see what is out there/having fun being blessed with such an opportunity.

From what I have heard they had a plan before leaving, at least pretty sure what they were doing. Kind of a “Well if someone wows us” we will go there instead. But really Wisconsin makes all the sense.

Unless they suddenly get their heart set on a championship (cause sorry it will not happen in Wisconsin) I don’t really see any way to sway them outside of Wisconsin. They can be Wisconsin. That bodes well for Sam’s ego and Joey wanted to be at Wisconsin in the first place.



Exactly. Why not take the free trip to UVA in this spring and have a good time?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#44

Posted: May 10, 2019, 7:43 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3279
MrTPlush said:
wildcat83 said:
MrTPlush said:
Some info:

Greg Gard visited with the Hauser brothers yesterday in Stevens Point. Sounds like Virginia isn’t really an option and if anyone outside of Wisconsin gets them it would likely be MSU.


They are visiting Virginia this Thursday/Friday. Seems odd to travel that far to visit a school that isn't an option.

By the sounds of it MSU only has 1 open scholarship, so they would either need to dump someone or keep 1 of the brothers off scholarship for a year.

I hope you are right that WI is the likely destination, but I'm not getting too excited about it until they sign.


I think it is one of those things where you do your due diligence and see what is out there/having fun being blessed with such an opportunity.

From what I have heard they had a plan before leaving, at least pretty sure what they were doing. Kind of a “Well if someone wows us” we will go there instead. But really Wisconsin makes all the sense.

Unless they suddenly get their heart set on a championship (cause sorry it will not happen in Wisconsin) I don’t really see any way to sway them outside of Wisconsin. They can be Wisconsin. That bodes well for Sam’s ego and Joey wanted to be at Wisconsin in the first place.


If the Hausers go there and IF the Badgers can somehow land Jalen Johnson (BIG if obviously). But with those 3...Ruevers, King and Davidson senior years, it's not THAT impossible that the Badgers could compete for a title. I doubt they get Johnson and I'm not convinced the Hausers are going there, but that first year would be a pretty good team I think.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#45

Posted: May 12, 2019, 6:53 AM Post
Posts: 5223
brwrsfan said:

If the Hausers go there and IF the Badgers can somehow land Jalen Johnson (BIG if obviously). But with those 3...Ruevers, King and Davidson senior years, it's not THAT impossible that the Badgers could compete for a title. I doubt they get Johnson and I'm not convinced the Hausers are going there, but that first year would be a pretty good team I think.



I did just read a statement that Johnson made. He went and talked about how at AZ, Miller, who if he's not in jail by then, will let him push the ball(he didn't mention the jail part, I'm just adding that). How Duke means a lot to him because they've been in there since he was a freshmen and the atmosphere down there is just crazy.

He talked about how he was just in awe in general at Kentucky and how much he loved that slimy snake oil salesmen(though.....to be fair, looking at the NBA, his snake oil, in this case, is actually a pretty damn nice product for a prospect of his caliber.

But then what he said about the Badgers...I'm sure he didn't mean it how he said it, but it was kinda like, "going to Wisconsin would be like a dream, my family and friends would be able to come, he loved the campus, and the atmosphere at the games would "put them ahead in the end."

I'm sure he meant "in the end, that would be the best fan base for me," just talking about that in particular as he mentioned the atmosphere at the other places during the games, but that made my confidence level about 35 pct, up from 15. I wanted to link the article, but I was on another computer and forgot which site it was on.

It's at least something that tells you he's really considering playing for UW. Hopefully Gard can sell him on the fact that they've played a faster pace when they've had the pieces to do it and if the Hausers come, he can push the ball and have enough shooting to spread the floor. I wonder how many guys we've lost out to because of our style of play.

One would have to think that played a part in the decision for Hero to go to Kentucky. A style of play that shows off his abilities better for NBA teams. Now he's on the verge of being a first-round pick.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#46

Posted: May 13, 2019, 7:06 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5504
isn't the Hauser talk better suited for the badger thread. I wish them the best but I am focused on who is playing for Marquette next season?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#47

Posted: May 17, 2019, 8:16 AM Post
Posts: 518
After the Hauser announcement, was pretty down on this upcoming season, but gradually getting more and more excited for '19-'20. The "5" spot should be very solid with Jayce coming in - even better than last year I would think. I am curious to see how the "4" spot is used, I think there will be a lot of small ball, but can also see Ed getting some decent minutes along side one of Theo or Jayce as well - either way, defensively it will be a huge upgrade over Joey's traffic cone like D. My hope is that there will be a lot more easy shots created with lineups having 3 or 4 of Markus, Koby, Greg, Sacar, BB, or Jamal on the floor being able to penetrate and kick, or just take it all the way to the rack themselves. The 3point shooting will obviously take a hit, but think we should see a lot more easy shots being created/taken. Just hope that Markus learns to be more of a distributor, or at least have the ball in Koby's hands and let him create.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#48

Posted: May 17, 2019, 8:18 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13349
patrickgpe said:
isn't the Hauser talk better suited for the badger thread. I wish them the best but I am focused on who is playing for Marquette next season?


Yes, please move Hauser discussion to Badger thread.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#49

Posted: May 17, 2019, 10:08 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5504
monkeyman343434 said:
After the Hauser announcement, was pretty down on this upcoming season, but gradually getting more and more excited for '19-'20. The "5" spot should be very solid with Jayce coming in - even better than last year I would think. I am curious to see how the "4" spot is used, I think there will be a lot of small ball, but can also see Ed getting some decent minutes along side one of Theo or Jayce as well - either way, defensively it will be a huge upgrade over Joey's traffic cone like D. My hope is that there will be a lot more easy shots created with lineups having 3 or 4 of Markus, Koby, Greg, Sacar, BB, or Jamal on the floor being able to penetrate and kick, or just take it all the way to the rack themselves. The 3point shooting will obviously take a hit, but think we should see a lot more easy shots being created/taken. Just hope that Markus learns to be more of a distributor, or at least have the ball in Koby's hands and let him create.


I think they will be competitive. the big east will likely be down again this year. Getting Elliot back is huge and all reports on McEwen are positive. Yes the team will play a different style and may look closer to a UW team than the normal Marquette team, but there is no reason to think the team won't be competitive in the BE.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#50

Posted: May 17, 2019, 10:52 AM Post
Posts: 518
I don't think we will play a slow-pace UW type offense, I think it will be pretty fast paced, just with more attacking the rim vs taking a lot of 3s, and a lot more transition offense


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#51

Posted: May 17, 2019, 11:22 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5504
monkeyman343434 said:
I don't think we will play a slow-pace UW type offense, I think it will be pretty fast paced, just with more attacking the rim vs taking a lot of 3s, and a lot more transition offense


i didn't mean that the pace of play will stop to a snail's pace, but this team will have more of a defensive idenity rather than a 3point shooting one. Besides Howard, there really isn't a great shooter on this team.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#52

Posted: November 20, 2019, 4:25 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5504
Bumping this.

Marquette landed Dawson Garcia, a top 50 recruit, giving them the #7 2020 class in the country.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Baske ... mRankings/

Alot has been made from UW's class but atleast accoridng to these rankings all 3 of MU's recuirts are higher ranked than the Badgers top recruit. Maybe Marquette won't take much of a hit loosing Howard next season.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#53

Posted: November 20, 2019, 8:34 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1661
patrickgpe said:
Bumping this.

Marquette landed Dawson Garcia, a top 50 recruit, giving them the #7 2020 class in the country.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Baske ... mRankings/

Alot has been made from UW's class but atleast accoridng to these rankings all 3 of MU's recuirts are higher ranked than the Badgers top recruit. Maybe Marquette won't take much of a hit loosing Howard next season.


As I Marquette fan I don't want to get excited. Something bad always happens to this team when things look good for them.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#54

Posted: November 20, 2019, 8:36 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6261
Location: Phoenix, AZ
BrewersSuperCollector said:

As I Marquette fan I don't want to get excited. Something bad always happens to this team when things look good for them.


This is so true. Would be nice for one of these recruiting classes to actually perform to their talent.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Marquette Basketball Thread 2019 -20 (Howard returning, Hausers are not)
#55

Posted: November 21, 2019, 8:19 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5504
its still exciting, he is the 3rd highest recruit in the history of the program, only behind Ellenson and Blue.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adambr2, CheezWizHed, NeedMoreFans, nodakfan17, pitchleague and 6 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test