LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next  [ 629 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Wisconsin Basketball Thread 2019 - 20: BIG TEN CHAMPS & BPI NCAA Champs!

Offline  Re: Wisconsin Basketball Thread 2019 - 20: BIG TEN CHAMPS!!!!!!
Posted: March 11, 2020, 4:57 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
JohnBriggs12 said:
nate82 said:
Now all NCAA tournament games will be played with no fans. I don't think I am going to watch as many games. It just doesn't have that feeling of a game.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ronavirus/

Did I miss something? Is this the Black Plague or a virus? Overreactions like this just raise the level of panic. March Madness indeed.

I'm a 67 year old but with no serious underlying health issues. Almost all of the deaths from this virus have been to elderly (average age 81) people with severe medical conditions. How does this make them safer?

More people will die if they don't have access to medical resources, which will happen if the system gets overwhelmed like it is in Italy. Anything that can be done to slow the spread now will make a huge difference.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 7:13 PM Post
My reaction to no fans at the games is pretty simple:

Good.

This is an economic and entertainment hit, and it probably makes the country at least marginally safer. Big gatherings are drivers of epidemics, and the downside is pretty minor when you consider the other side of the equation is public health.

Look, basketball games get played in nearly empty arenas all the time. Maybe the men will finally see what most women's teams have to deal with on a nightly basis. It's still basketball. In fact, it's basketball before it got to be a main event instead of a fun distraction.

I am going to put it bluntly: In my opinion, the best stuff of the NCAA tournament has nothing to do with spectator noise. If you need to hear other people getting excited to let you know to get excited when a 14 seed hits a game-winning three, then it isn't really about basketball at all.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 7:46 PM Post
Some sobering numbers.

Current reported R0 from China is 2.2 which is likely quite a bit low due to large numbers of untested likely mildly symptomatic cases. Real number is likely above 3 which means for every person infected they will pass it to three people.
This means it is highly contagious.

The current reported mortality rate is 3.4% which is likely higher than actual due to the lack of testing.

If this thing is not gotten ahead of the u.s. population of 300 million would likely mean roughly a 50% infection rate and 150 million infected people and the death of 3 million.

The mortality rate of people over 70 who are aquire it likely be above 10%.

One of my businesses represents an Italian line of equipment and I have been messaging the company and the emergency rooms are overwhelmed and are basically going on triage protocols.

Believe me when I say it is not possible to overreact to this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... shows.html

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2020, 8:20 PM Post
I would rather have us, as a society, overreact to be as safe as possible. The problem is those people who say, "What about my freedom?" "Nobody can tell me what to do!"

It might be a big paradigm shift to get people to think about others. At times, institutions such as the NCAA, B1G Conference, NBA, etc. needs to take steps to protect people from themselves.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 9:55 AM Post
https://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/20 ... demic.html

The Big 10 tournament has been cancelled.

Speculating but I'm assuming that would make us the Big 10's presumed auto bid for the NCAA tourney as the #1 seed.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 9:55 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
There it is, conference tourney canceled. Guessing the NCAA tournament is likely going to be canceled as well. Or at least delayed until April.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 10:06 AM Post
owbc said:
There it is, conference tourney canceled. Guessing the NCAA tournament is likely going to be canceled as well. Or at least delayed until April.

I think delaying the tournament is a non starter, the scheduling would be a nightmare, all those venues don't just sit there empty all year round except in March, not to mention all the hotel space that would be needed. I think it will simply be cancelled.

Possibly a reduced field could be gathered since it would require fewer locations, say they essentially begin the tournament with the Sweet 16 and seed all schools accordingly, but that would be extremely controversial I'd think.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 10:06 AM Post
owbc said:
JohnBriggs12 said:
nate82 said:
Now all NCAA tournament games will be played with no fans. I don't think I am going to watch as many games. It just doesn't have that feeling of a game.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ronavirus/

Did I miss something? Is this the Black Plague or a virus? Overreactions like this just raise the level of panic. March Madness indeed.

I'm a 67 year old but with no serious underlying health issues. Almost all of the deaths from this virus have been to elderly (average age 81) people with severe medical conditions. How does this make them safer?

More people will die if they don't have access to medical resources, which will happen if the system gets overwhelmed like it is in Italy. Anything that can be done to slow the spread now will make a huge difference.

Yes. And the second thing to make those 81 year old safer is that all those young people not mixing together passing it to each other, who will then unknowingly pass it to the 81 year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 10:30 AM Post
I think the NCAA will stick with their plan of continuing the tourney just with empty arenas. Maybe I am hoping moreso than thinking, though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 10:41 AM Post
There is absolutely no logical reasoning that the tourney can and should go on. They just canceled all the conference tourneys that were set to be played without fans (well, at least the Big 12...not sure about the others)...so next week we are suddenly going to play empty stadiums for the tourney...when conditions are going to be much worse than they are today? If you cancel the games for safety this week the same will happen next week.

Tournament is essentially toast at this point.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 10:50 AM Post
Yes.

Would be surprised if the tourney proceeds as scheduled. Question is: Do you wait a month and reconvene? Logistical nightmare, but possible the situation is safer in 4-5 weeks. Probably not in any less time than that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 10:59 AM Post
Like it or not the USA will be in full Italy mode within 2 weeks.
The longer they wait the worse it's going to get.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 12:18 PM Post
adambr2 said:
I think the NCAA will stick with their plan of continuing the tourney just with empty arenas. Maybe I am hoping moreso than thinking, though.

Decision for NCAA tournament should becoming out tomorrow and I believe they will be cancelling the tournament.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 12:18 PM Post
Decision on the NCAA tourney will happen tomorrow. The ACC and SEC have canceled spring sports till further notice, including any championships (basketball, horses, and gymnastics). That conveniently left out basketball at the national level, but I don't see how the tourney will go on at this point. With the cancellations going on they will have no choice, but to follow suit.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 12:47 PM Post
Well, Duke has officially suspended all athletics per Gary Parrish.

That should pretty much do it barring some sort of massive shift in the next 24 hours or so.

Now the big question is whether the tournament will be suspended or outright cancelled. Probably depends somewhat on the exit clauses in the Turner and NCAA contract.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 1:17 PM Post
Even as one taking this seriously and generally fine with all this cancellation of large public gatherings, I think I'm on the side of just delaying now and waiting and seeing what happens. Like, what's the harm in saying we're stopping now and will re-evaluate in a couple weeks. If you decide to fully cancel then, so be it. I'd have the same general vibe on MLB since it's a couple weeks out, start all your contingency planning, give it another 10ish days and decide what to do.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 2:20 PM Post
The tournament is cancelled.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 2:25 PM Post
Yeah. I think we figured that was coming, but sometimes the NCAA does things weirdly.

Like, their cancellation tweet cites the "impracticability" of moving events, but it's not like you couldn't try for a few weeks. I mean, maybe they just didn't want to give folks hope. One would just think that any venue/TV station would be ALL FOR making up even a fraction of lost revenue at a later date, so I'm a little confused about the straight cancellation.

On the other hand, at the end of the day, it's a basketball tournament. Can't really get too upset about that without losing all perspective.

EDIT: Bilas makes a good point about contract clauses and insurance payouts. Perhaps the automatic cancellation has to do with collecting insurance, and COVID-19 fits whatever "act of God" clause is in those contracts. Certainly, that's logical.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 8:28 PM Post
I wonder if the decision would have been different if the players were getting paid (officially by the schools)...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 9:52 PM Post
Samurai Bucky said:
I wonder if the decision would have been different if the players were getting paid (officially by the schools)...

Since every pro sport has canceled events as well, I would say no, it would be the same.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next  [ 629 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply