LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next  [ 629 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Wisconsin Basketball Thread 2019 - 20: BIG TEN CHAMPS & BPI NCAA Champs!

Offline  Re: Wisconsin Basketball Thread 2019 - 20: BIG TEN CHAMPS!!!!!!
Posted: March 13, 2020, 11:08 AM Post
wildcat83 said:
Samurai Bucky said:
I wonder if the decision would have been different if the players were getting paid (officially by the schools)...

Since every pro sport has canceled events as well, I would say no, it would be the same.

Not every pro sport has cancelled events. There are many that have postponed them. Last I saw, the NBA, NHL, and others haven't cancelled the season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 13, 2020, 11:51 AM Post
Samurai Bucky said:
wildcat83 said:
Samurai Bucky said:
I wonder if the decision would have been different if the players were getting paid (officially by the schools)...

Since every pro sport has canceled events as well, I would say no, it would be the same.

Not every pro sport has cancelled events. There are many that have postponed them. Last I saw, the NBA, NHL, and others haven't cancelled the season.

The NCAA canceled their biggest money maker and one of the biggest ones in all of sports.

I don't get what you are trying to infer. Why would they have not canceled events if they were paying players?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 13, 2020, 2:57 PM Post
Samurai Bucky said:
wildcat83 said:
Samurai Bucky said:

College sports is a little different. They are bound by the limits of the school year. You can't just delay things for a couple months and by the time you're ready for the tourney it's May. These are kids most of whom are bound for careers not in professional sports.

Professional sports don't have these limitations. The NBA can push things out and play basketball all summer and it's obviously still a logistical challenge but plenty practical.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2020, 6:24 AM Post
Global Moderator
Cool Hand Lucroy said:
Bilas makes a good point about contract clauses and insurance payouts. Perhaps the automatic cancellation has to do with collecting insurance, and COVID-19 fits whatever "act of God" clause is in those contracts. Certainly, that's logical.

At the time of the NCAA Tournament cancellation COVID-19 wasn’t yet deemed a force majeure event. Thus all of the events canceled earlier this week were done so without any guarantees of future insurance payouts.

Now that we are in a national state of emergency I believe that will change and force majeure contract clauses should apply, but don’t know for certain. I think it now falls under the “act of Government” part of the definition more so than being an “act of God”.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2020, 7:13 AM Post
Good to know.

If finances were not any kind of factor, then I do wonder why a postponement wasn't the first option. The D3 tourney is run every year without knowing sites in advance, and I imagine you could have pulled off a tourney in May if things looked better. As a lot of coached said, you could have always cancelled later if, as many believe, this does indeed get lots worse.

Of course, there is something to be said for finality, I suppose.

Hard to say without knowing the details. I guess I am cynical in the sense that I don't think the NCAA would have chosen cancellation over postponement without some financial incentive, but that's a personal predisposition more than an actual argument.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2020, 7:15 AM Post
I have read that the committee is still considering releasing a 68 team bracket. Obviously it would be nothing more than symbolic, but I would like to see one anyway.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2020, 7:26 AM Post
adambr2 said:
I have read that the committee is still considering releasing a 68 team bracket. Obviously it would be nothing more than symbolic, but I would like to see one anyway.

Would love to see a symbolic bracket.

Also, just me, or does anyone else hope Turner reruns an old tourney (maybe that awesome 2016 opening weekend?) just for fun's sake?

I mean, they really should turn this into an E-sports competition and let the actual players play televised e-hoops against each other. Or run computer simulations live. Narrated by Barkley. Come on, guys! Give us something!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2020, 7:57 AM Post
I approve a symbolic bracket because then it makes it all the more easy for me to say Kansas was symbolically the champion.

In all seriousness it is really unfortunate to see some of the players have to go out like this. Seems common sense spring athletes would keep a year of eligibility. Winter athletes, no, I don’t get that at all. Yah, sucks they didn’t get their postseason games. I don’t see them deserving of an entire year of eligibility back though. You are basically allowing someone five years of full play. All but 68 teams were completely done and half of those team had one game left.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2020, 8:32 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
I approve a symbolic bracket because then it makes it all the more easy for me to say Kansas was symbolically the champion.

In all seriousness it is really unfortunate to see some of the players have to go out like this. Seems common sense spring athletes would keep a year of eligibility. Winter athletes, no, I don’t get that at all. Yah, sucks they didn’t get their postseason games. I don’t see them deserving of an entire year of eligibility back though. You are basically allowing someone five years of full play. All but 68 teams were completely done and half of those team had one game left.

It's not really fair to the incoming freshmen not to mention the sophs and juniors who have been waiting their turn to give another year to the seniors. Only so many minutes available, I do feel bad for Pritzl though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2020, 10:10 AM Post
Does anyone know if CBS or Turner sports archives old tournament games for viewing? I've been able to find random games on YouTube, but can not find a whole tournament. A few of us had been trying to find Wisconsin's run to the finals in 2015 to watch on Friday.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2020, 10:20 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Samurai Bucky said:

The NCAA canceled their biggest money maker and one of the biggest ones in all of sports.

I don't get what you are trying to infer. Why would they have not canceled events if they were paying players?

The NBA didn't cancel their season, tournament, etc. Neither did the NHL. They postponed them. This means that there is still a chance they could play.

The NCAA did cancel, as you stated, the biggest tournaments of the year.

Why did the NBA, NHL, etc. not cancel their seasons? My guess is that there is big money involved. Cancelling the season affects the teams, venues, and players monetarily.

If the students (in essence "players") were getting paid to play basketball, would they have been more likely to postpone the tournament instead of cancel it? I know the concept of players getting paid in college is not iron clad. Would the players be upset if they would not receive a paycheck for playing in the NCAA tournament? Would people feel bad for them?

So... my inference is that the NCAA would have been more likely to postpone it. I'm not saying they would have postponed it instead of cancelled it. I'm simply proposing that the discussions might have been different. Perhaps after 30 days, they would have cancelled it if the virus isn't under control.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2020, 11:57 AM Post
But again the NCAA is dealing with students. There are other sports programs, academics, graduations, etc, to stay on track for. Professional sports leagues don't have to worry about any of that. For every one of their players, this is their livelihood.

It is apples to oranges regardless of whether NCAA players were getting paid or not.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2020, 12:05 PM Post
You say the NBA etc. is big money and they didn’t cancel. The tourney is enormous money (one billion) and they canceled. It is also huge money for the venues. Financially the NCAA made the most sense to not cancel. In the pro sports at least you can opt to not pay players tens of millions, NCAA they don’t cost you anything regardless.

The TV money is where it is at. That would cover the hypothetical salaries a million times over. No one wanted that tourney to take place more than the NCAA. Salaries are irrelevant, these leagues would make more playing in empty stadiums paying players than they are sitting at home right now.

Of course maybe insurance came into play, who knows. I don’t see player salaries effecting anything though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2020, 6:05 PM Post
Global Moderator
On a positive note, I had my first perfect bracket this year!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 8:30 AM Post
Florida Senate trying to declare florida st 2020 national champions... what's this madness.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 8:31 AM Post
Global Moderator
young guns said:
Florida Senate trying to declare florida st 2020 national champions... what's this madness.

Its March madness.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 8:34 AM Post
I see what you did there lol.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 18, 2020, 8:32 AM Post
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... played-out

Badgers win the simulated BPI title!

Guess they should hang the banner.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 18, 2020, 11:07 AM Post
stoutdude04 said:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28915817/bpi-projects-how-2020-ncaa-tournament-played-out

Not sure Marquette would beat Kansas. I'll take it, though!!!!!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 18, 2020, 7:12 PM Post
stoutdude04 said:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28915817/bpi-projects-how-2020-ncaa-tournament-played-out

Or at least supplement the title of this thread!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next  [ 629 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply