LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  [ 592 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 NFL miscellaneous news

Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: December 29, 2019, 7:12 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
Who saw the Browns regressing this year?

7-8-1 to 6-10. Ouch.

PinaMadness said:
Freddie Kitchens officially fired.

I believe that's your answer.

Posted: December 29, 2019, 7:19 PM Post
adambr2 said:
areacodes said:
adambr2 said:
I'm sure they are indeed melting down in New England over it. I don't know what that has to do with us. I'm glad we pulled it off, obviously.

They're clearly a very weak high seed in historical terms. There's nothing wrong with discussing that. I'm glad they have the opportunity that they have in front of them anyway and if they find a way to put it together and make a run I'll be happy to be first in line to admit I was wrong.

I don’t think there were many people making those claims that were looking for a discussion about being a historically weak high seeded team. It seemed that most were pretty well entrenched on the thought that they are the worst ever and have been stating stuff like that for weeks.

I guess I'm not sure what your point is on this. The best thing you can say about them is that they find a way. Their offense is mediocre, their defense is hit and miss and their special teams was historically terrible up until the last few weeks. They've won a ton of close games and there's just not anything they do particularly well.

Are they the worst 13-3 top 2 seed ever? I dunno, it's all subjective but they would be in the discussion. That's not being down on the team, that's just the reality of their journey this year. It's still great to be a top 2 seed 13-3 team but I don't think it does any good to bury our heads in the sand when it comes to our deficiencies.

That said, just giving yourself the opportunity can be enough...the Ravens weren't a particularly great team when they won it all, just got a run of great play from Flacco.

My point is there are teams out their like the Patriots who are in similar situations who have statistically better teams who aren’t getting the same results and are losing to mediocre or worse teams.

I don’t think anybody has really buried their head in the sand regarding the Packers deficiencies but I do think there are times where it is overblown.

The offense has not been impressive, but they don’t usually turn the ball over, have a decent run game that can be explosive at times and a really good red zone offense - all things that I feel are essential to helping you win in the post season

Likewise with the D, they may give up some yards but they are top 10 in scoring D and the Smith Brothers can cause havoc in the backfield... again positives in winning in the post season.

Last, the return game was awful for most of the year correct and I’d say the punting has been pretty mediocre since the first Bears game... but Crosby has been pretty much automatic this year and that is a big part of special teams.

But your last point is spot on. It is about getting this opportunity and going on a run. Let’s see if we can do it.

Posted: December 29, 2019, 9:58 PM Post
Global Moderator
Cleveland seems like a landing spot for McCarthy assuming the owner doesn't meddle.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Posted: December 30, 2019, 7:08 AM Post
I’m guessing the Patriots didn’t spy on the Dolphins this week.

Really makes you wonder ...

Posted: December 30, 2019, 7:26 AM Post
Global Moderator
I always thought Kitchens was a bit of an odd hire last year, but giving him one year seems completely unfair.

It should be an interesting and busy Black Monday around the league.

Posted: December 30, 2019, 7:39 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
I always thought Kitchens was a bit of an odd hire last year, but giving him one year seems completely unfair.

Normally, I back the coaches in these short tenure situations, but I suspect Kitchens was the players’ coach. The players asked Dorsey to retain Kitchens after the team showed improvement in 2018 and Dorsey obliged. Dorsey trusted the players, the players failed Dorsey, and now Dorsey is free to hire an adult.

Posted: December 30, 2019, 9:04 AM Post
homer said:
Cleveland seems like a landing spot for McCarthy assuming the owner doesn't meddle.

He didn't interview last year which I thought meant he knew he wouldn't get the job. He knows a lot of those guys there and they know him.

Posted: December 30, 2019, 10:15 AM Post
Fairly safe to say he'll be back next year I think. Two interviews with Carolina and being linked to CLE and DAL. They'd have to fire Garrett first but MM's name is sure being tossed around a lot.

Posted: December 30, 2019, 11:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
With Shurmur out in NY, I wonder how attractive that job is. A bit of a disaster as an organization the past few years, but if you believe in David Jones and with Barkley in the fold, it’s an interesting job, IMO.

Posted: December 30, 2019, 11:18 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
With Shurmur out in NY, I wonder how attractive that job is. A bit of a disaster as an organization the past few years, but if you believe in David Jones and with Barkley in the fold, it’s an interesting job, IMO.

Young, talented QB, stud RB, and money to spend. Also play is arguably the worst division in the NFL. I think that job is probably the most coveted of any that are available.

Posted: December 30, 2019, 11:26 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:
PeaveyFury said:

Normally, I back the coaches in these short tenure situations, but I suspect Kitchens was the players’ coach. The players asked Dorsey to retain Kitchens after the team showed improvement in 2018 and Dorsey obliged. Dorsey trusted the players, the players failed Dorsey, and now Dorsey is free to hire an adult.

I believe Kitchens pretty much said he would leave if he wasn't the HC. Baker developed quite a bit with him running the offense in 2018 so I can't blame them for keeping him but I don't think they really wanted him to be the coach. They just didn't want to have Baker start over with a new offense so they were in a tough spot and just hoped Freddie wouldn't fall on his face. Which he did. Hard. And who expected Lamar Jackson to turn into Mike Vick after one year. If he played the way he did last year that division is totally wide open for the taking after Ben got hurt.

Posted: December 30, 2019, 11:49 AM Post
^^^

I had no problem with the Browns retaining Kitchens after he went 5-3 as the interim HC and earned the players’ respect. But given what transpired (the t-shirt was a bad look), I agree with moving on.

Posted: December 30, 2019, 1:24 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
^^^

I had no problem with the Browns retaining Kitchens after he went 5-3 as the interim HC and earned the players’ respect. But given what transpired (the t-shirt was a bad look), I agree with moving on.

Except Freddie wasn't the interim HC in 2018. Freddie was the interim OC & play-caller. 1st time regularly holding those roles in his life.

The Interim HC was Greg Williams and he didn't receive an interview after that 5-3 finish.

Posted: December 30, 2019, 1:42 PM Post
MadThinker88 said:
nodakfan17 said:
^^^

Except Freddie wasn't the interim HC in 2018. Freddie was the interim OC & play-caller. 1st time regularly holding those roles in his life.

The Interim HC was Greg Williams and he didn't receive an interview after that 5-3 finish.

Ahhh ... thank you. I wonder if Gregg Williams is forever tainted by the Saints’ Bounty-Gate scandal?

Posted: December 30, 2019, 1:50 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
Ahhh ... thank you. I wonder if Gregg Williams is forever tainted by the Saints’ Bounty-Gate scandal?

Yep...
I doubt he ever gets a HC slot again (except as an interim designation)...

Posted: December 30, 2019, 2:12 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
PeaveyFury said:

Young, talented QB, stud RB, and money to spend. Also play is arguably the worst division in the NFL. I think that job is probably the most coveted of any that are available.

The New York media circus is a pretty strong deterrent.

Posted: December 30, 2019, 7:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
Ron Rivera to Washington, on an otherwise fairly quiet black Monday....

Posted: December 31, 2019, 8:52 AM Post
OldHeidelberg said:
homer said:

He didn't interview last year which I thought meant he knew he wouldn't get the job. He knows a lot of those guys there and they know him.

I thought McCarthy said that it would have to be the perfect situation for him to interview last year as he really wanted to take a year off.

Posted: December 31, 2019, 12:23 PM Post
Global Moderator
The Dolphins have lured 67-year old Chan Gailey out of retirement to be their offensive coordinator. I'm sure that'll bring youthful energy and innovation to their offense. Or something.

Posted: December 31, 2019, 1:22 PM Post
Looks like Dorsey might be out in Cleveland too.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  [ 592 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply