LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  [ 592 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 NFL miscellaneous news

Author Message
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: December 31, 2019, 2:00 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2252
Dorsey is out. "Mutual parting" that sounds like Dorsey was tired of the Haslam's interference. I guess when you have a history as solid as Jimmy Haslam, why listen to your GM. I mean, it's not like Dorsey turned a craptastic franchise into a super bowl team in 3 years, so who needs that. Let's just get another GM...

Brown's have the Jeffrey Luria of NFL owners...

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: December 31, 2019, 2:03 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13546
Browns are so dumb. Dorsey will have a job in two weeks...or he'll just hold out until Ryan Pace gets fired after next season and then take the Bears job just to screw Green Bay.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: December 31, 2019, 2:38 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 10381
Wow. That’s an absolutely insane decision by the Browns.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: December 31, 2019, 2:47 PM Post
Posts: 5434
PeaveyFury said:
Wow. That’s an absolutely insane decision by the Browns.


I think it has as much to do with Dorsey knowing there are going to be much greener pastures available to him and soon and getting out before his rep was tarnished having to go through a coaching search with an organization he probably wanted out from. The Redskins make alot of sense...so would the Cowboys if Jerry Jones wasn't such a narcissist.

If he wanted to wait 1-2 years, there are likely going to be a bunch of GM/president of football ops positions opening up. Seems like there are alot of front offices/owners looking to give it one more shot with the folks in charge rather than making significant organizational changes just 1 year before the current CBA is set to expire and potentially lead to a work stoppage in 2021.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: December 31, 2019, 5:22 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 15495
Location: Milwaukee, WI
John Dorsey seems to be somewhat clueless as a GM. Didn’t learn his lessons from KC to Cleveland. It will be interesting if he gets another shot at it what he does. Guy knows how to evaluate the draft, but it’s the other parts of the job that seem to be holding him back.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: December 31, 2019, 5:26 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 10381
Brew4U said:
John Dorsey seems to be somewhat clueless as a GM. Didn’t learn his lessons from KC to Cleveland. It will be interesting if he gets another shot at it what he does. Guy knows how to evaluate the draft, but it’s the other parts of the job that seem to be holding him back.


Didn't he build the contender in KC from basically stratch, though, and do the same with the turnaround so far in Cleveland?


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: December 31, 2019, 5:33 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 15495
Location: Milwaukee, WI
PeaveyFury said:
Brew4U said:
John Dorsey seems to be somewhat clueless as a GM. Didn’t learn his lessons from KC to Cleveland. It will be interesting if he gets another shot at it what he does. Guy knows how to evaluate the draft, but it’s the other parts of the job that seem to be holding him back.


Didn't he build the contender in KC from basically stratch, though, and do the same with the turnaround so far in Cleveland?


What exactly did he turn around in Cleveland? Holes all over their roster, a coach that should have never been, and traded big picks for a dysfunctional WR that can blow up any locker room. When it comes to KC, he brought in a ton of talent but in the end his poor communication skills and poor cap management got him removed.

I think he knows his stuff obviously, but his GM resume isn’t all that great so far.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: December 31, 2019, 6:10 PM Post
Posts: 763
Profootball talk is saying thgst Haslam wanted Dorsey to give up some of his authority and Dorsey chose to walk. I wonder if Eliot Wolf is gone with him.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: December 31, 2019, 6:35 PM Post
Posts: 1051
LouisEly said:
OldHeidelberg said:
homer said:
Cleveland seems like a landing spot for McCarthy assuming the owner doesn't meddle.


He didn't interview last year which I thought meant he knew he wouldn't get the job. He knows a lot of those guys there and they know him.

I thought McCarthy said that it would have to be the perfect situation for him to interview last year as he really wanted to take a year off.


He interviewed for the Jets job and didn't get it. Considering the Browns job was thought at the time to be the plum job available and all his connections there I think it's likely he was told behind the scenes they weren't interested. With all that came out in the media not surprising if he was a hot potato. Now a year has passed and Dorey is out so who knows.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: December 31, 2019, 8:07 PM Post
Posts: 4237
Rivera to the Redskins, and LaFleur to interview with Cleveland.

Mike... not Matt


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: January 02, 2020, 7:01 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 10381
Congrats to LeRoy Butler, named a Finalist for the Hall of Fame today! I certainly think he's deserving, but I'm a bit surprised to see him make it as a finalist after 14 years of eligibility and not much buzz before now.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: January 03, 2020, 12:57 PM Post
Posts: 1051
PeaveyFury said:
Congrats to LeRoy Butler, named a Finalist for the Hall of Fame today! I certainly think he's deserving, but I'm a bit surprised to see him make it as a finalist after 14 years of eligibility and not much buzz before now.



There are some other safeties on the list likely in before him but at least it shows he may make it eventually as he should. Safety is just a tough position to get in.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: January 06, 2020, 11:20 AM Post
Posts: 1315
Just perusing the 2020 draft picks and after the 'failed tanking' Miami has the 5th pick along with the 18th pick from the highway robbery of Pitt, and an end round pick from Houston. Meanwhile Oakland is sitting with their 12th and the Bears 19th pick along with 3 3rd round picks. Both of those teams if they can hit on their picks, should do remarkably better the next couple of years. Last 2 times Detroit had a top 3 pick, they got Stafford and Suh. Could a star and a healthy Stafford propel them to be meaningful?

Meanwhile, technically the best the Packers could get is the 25th draft pick but that only happens if all the road teams win in a massive anti-chalk extravaganza. Realistically if the Packers were to lose, we would be looking at the 27-28th pick.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: January 06, 2020, 11:51 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13546
stalton said:
Just perusing the 2020 draft picks and after the 'failed tanking' Miami has the 5th pick along with the 18th pick from the highway robbery of Pitt, and an end round pick from Houston. Meanwhile Oakland is sitting with their 12th and the Bears 19th pick along with 3 3rd round picks. Both of those teams if they can hit on their picks, should do remarkably better the next couple of years. Last 2 times Detroit had a top 3 pick, they got Stafford and Suh. Could a star and a healthy Stafford propel them to be meaningful?

Meanwhile, technically the best the Packers could get is the 25th draft pick but that only happens if all the road teams win in a massive anti-chalk extravaganza. Realistically if the Packers were to lose, we would be looking at the 27-28th pick.


Miami has a boatload of picks in the next two drafts.

Dolphins 2020 picks:
– 2020 1st-round pick (MIA)
– 2020 1st-round pick (HOU)
– 2020 1st-round pick (PIT)
– 2020 2nd-round pick (MIA)
– 2020 2nd-round pick (NO)
– 2020 3rd-round pick (MIA)
– 2020 3rd-round pick (Comp – Ja’Wuan James)
– 2020 5th-round pick (MIA)
– 2020 5th-round pick (PIT)
– 2020 5th-round pick (Comp – Cam Wake)
– 2020 6th-round pick (MIA)
– 2020 6th-round pick (DAL)
– 2020 7th-round pick (MIA)
– 2020 7th-round pick (KC)

Dolphins 2021 draft picks:
– 2021 1st-round pick (MIA)
– 2021 1st-round pick (HOU)
– 2021 2nd-round pick (MIA)
– 2021 2nd-round pick (HOU)
– 2021 3rd-round pick (MIA)
– 2021 4th-round pick (MIA)
– 2021 5th-round pick (MIA)
– 2021 6th-round pick (PIT)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: January 06, 2020, 12:48 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 413
Location: Neenah
Meanwhile...

Everyone in Chicago is fantasizing about Brady signing in to "mentor" Trubisky.

https://beargoggleson.com/2020/01/06/chicago-bears-tom-brady-free-agency/


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: January 06, 2020, 12:54 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6359
homer said:
stalton said:
Just perusing the 2020 draft picks and after the 'failed tanking' Miami has the 5th pick along with the 18th pick from the highway robbery of Pitt, and an end round pick from Houston. Meanwhile Oakland is sitting with their 12th and the Bears 19th pick along with 3 3rd round picks. Both of those teams if they can hit on their picks, should do remarkably better the next couple of years. Last 2 times Detroit had a top 3 pick, they got Stafford and Suh. Could a star and a healthy Stafford propel them to be meaningful?

Meanwhile, technically the best the Packers could get is the 25th draft pick but that only happens if all the road teams win in a massive anti-chalk extravaganza. Realistically if the Packers were to lose, we would be looking at the 27-28th pick.


Miami has a boatload of picks in the next two drafts.

Dolphins 2020 picks:
– 2020 1st-round pick (MIA)
– 2020 1st-round pick (HOU)
– 2020 1st-round pick (PIT)
– 2020 2nd-round pick (MIA)
– 2020 2nd-round pick (NO)
– 2020 3rd-round pick (MIA)
– 2020 3rd-round pick (Comp – Ja’Wuan James)
– 2020 5th-round pick (MIA)
– 2020 5th-round pick (PIT)
– 2020 5th-round pick (Comp – Cam Wake)
– 2020 6th-round pick (MIA)
– 2020 6th-round pick (DAL)
– 2020 7th-round pick (MIA)
– 2020 7th-round pick (KC)

Dolphins 2021 draft picks:
– 2021 1st-round pick (MIA)
– 2021 1st-round pick (HOU)
– 2021 2nd-round pick (MIA)
– 2021 2nd-round pick (HOU)
– 2021 3rd-round pick (MIA)
– 2021 4th-round pick (MIA)
– 2021 5th-round pick (MIA)
– 2021 6th-round pick (PIT)


Sounds like a similar situation Dallas was in after trading Walker to Minnesota long ago in an era far away. But the real question is if Miami can draft well or not.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: January 06, 2020, 1:21 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13546
CheezWizHed said:
Sounds like a similar situation Dallas was in after trading Walker to Minnesota long ago in an era far away. But the real question is if Miami can draft well or not.


I'm of the opinion that the draft is kind of a crapshoot so the more rolls of the dice the better your odds of getting lucky. I'd be really surprised if they don't end up with 4 - 5 really good players out of all those picks.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: January 06, 2020, 2:30 PM Post
Posts: 1315
Sounds like a similar situation Dallas was in after trading Walker to Minnesota long ago in an era far away. But the real question is if Miami can draft well or not.
I knew Dallas did very well but I had to look exactly what happened.

They used a 1st round pick to trade up to get Emmitt Smith in 1990.
They used a couple of picks to trade up to get Russell Maryland #1 in the 1991 draft.
They trade picks with Atlanta to get Kevin Smith and Darren Woodson in 1992.

That's also not including a smattering of other smaller key role players as well over that 3 year span.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: January 08, 2020, 3:06 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9026
I remember there was a big deal about some week the Patriots had to sign Gronk by so he would be eligible for the playoffs. At the time I was thinking that players get signed and play with a new team during the playoffs all the time but assumed I was wrong. But the Ravens just signed Andre Smith and he will be active this week so what was the big deal about the deadline with Gronk?


 Top
 
Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: January 09, 2020, 1:35 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 776
jerichoholicninja said:
I remember there was a big deal about some week the Patriots had to sign Gronk by so he would be eligible for the playoffs. At the time I was thinking that players get signed and play with a new team during the playoffs all the time but assumed I was wrong. But the Ravens just signed Andre Smith and he will be active this week so what was the big deal about the deadline with Gronk?

Did Gronk file retirement papers with the NFL? I honestly don't know. Perhaps there's a deadline to file for reinstatement for the current season if one is a formally retired player. That's really all I can think of.


 Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  [ 592 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test