LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  [ 592 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 NFL miscellaneous news

Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: January 09, 2020, 2:34 PM Post
Could be complicated as well if he was still under contract for 2019 in regards to cap. Things like does his old deal kick in, does it void, IDK, things of that nature they have to have rules on so teams don't find loopholes to cheat the cap.

Posted: January 09, 2020, 10:16 PM Post
SeaBass said:
jerichoholicninja said:
I remember there was a big deal about some week the Patriots had to sign Gronk by so he would be eligible for the playoffs. At the time I was thinking that players get signed and play with a new team during the playoffs all the time but assumed I was wrong. But the Ravens just signed Andre Smith and he will be active this week so what was the big deal about the deadline with Gronk?

Did Gronk file retirement papers with the NFL? I honestly don't know. Perhaps there's a deadline to file for reinstatement for the current season if one is a formally retired player. That's really all I can think of.

My wife is a Patriots fan, so I unfortunately know the scenario well...as I heard about it ad nausem for weeks.
1. Gronk restructured his deal in the 2017 offseason, so he had a contract that ran through the 2019 season, 9M for 2019.
2. Gronk DID retire and since his deal was not up, he was placed on retired/reserve list.
3. Gronk's placement on retired/reserve list freed up $9M in salary cap space but they did have a nominal $2M in dead money.
4. If Gronk un-retired, he would be bound by contract to New England, but they could waive or trade his rights.
5. Players cannot come off the retired/reserve list after the final business day ahead of NFL's week 13. He must stay on the list until the new business year starts.

Andre Smith didn't retire. He was waived by Cincy last month and was simply a free agent wandering the streets. Even if he did retire and chose to un-retire, he is not obligated to a contract, unlike Gronk.

Posted: January 12, 2020, 11:25 AM Post
So what about Stefanski's absolutely atrocious offensive game plan yesterday against the 49ers convinced the Browns that he was the perfect choice for their head coaching job?

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Posted: January 12, 2020, 11:28 AM Post
Global Moderator
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
So what about Stefanski's absolutely atrocious offensive game plan yesterday against the 49ers convinced the Browns that he was the perfect choice for their head coaching job?

What if he was hired after the New Orleans game.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Posted: January 12, 2020, 11:30 AM Post
homer said:

What if he was hired after the New Orleans game.

I suppose that may partially explain the terrible game plan. Mind in other places.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Posted: January 12, 2020, 11:32 AM Post
Global Moderator
Honestly though, the Vikings line was so putrid I'm not sure what gameplan would have worked.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Posted: January 12, 2020, 11:51 AM Post
homer said:
Honestly though, the Vikings line was so putrid I'm not sure what gameplan would have worked.

Screens?

Posted: January 12, 2020, 11:58 AM Post
stalton said:
homer said:

Screens?

I think they tried quite a few of those to Cook from my recollection. He was bottled up instantly almost every time.

Posted: January 12, 2020, 11:58 AM Post
Global Moderator
stalton said:
homer said:

Screens?

Tried em. Didn't work.

Posted: January 12, 2020, 12:04 PM Post
The 49ers are a better, more complete football team than we are. I don't think there is any doubt of that.

I think we win on their field about 2 or 3 out of 10 times.

But, I would still say the same thing about the Titans winning in Baltimore, and Baltimore is the one going home. But yeah, IF we get there, a lot of things need to go right.

Posted: January 12, 2020, 12:37 PM Post

Stefanski's absolutely atrocious offensive game plan yesterday against the 49ers.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Posted: January 12, 2020, 1:09 PM Post
Julian Edelman was arrested in Beverly Hills for vandalism because he allegedly jumped on and subsequently dented the hood of a Mercedes. I can’t see much coming out of that unless he acted like a total jack-wagon.

Posted: January 12, 2020, 1:48 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
Julian Edelman was arrested in Beverly Hills for vandalism because he allegedly jumped on and subsequently dented the hood of a Mercedes. I can’t see much coming out of that unless he acted like a total jack-wagon.

Wouldn't jumping on a car in a drunken stupor qualify as jackwagon behavior?

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Posted: January 12, 2020, 1:54 PM Post
PinaMadness said:
nodakfan17 said:

Did he try to Bo Duke it?

Posted: January 12, 2020, 1:58 PM Post
PinaMadness said:
nodakfan17 said:

Of course. I meant in how he dealt with the owner of the car and the police. If it was a bad joke while he was drinking with his buddies, then make restitution and move on. If he didn’t grasp the severity of his mistake and gave everyone a hard time, then I wouldn’t mind seeing him sweat it out in court.

Posted: January 12, 2020, 1:59 PM Post
Cook had 9 carries for 18 yards. That's why the Vikings got walloped. Then they were behind too much and couldn't keep at it. Not sure it would have mattered, but they had no chance with that kind of production. Packers don't have Cook, but they do have a better line. Sure didn't look like it against SF though.

Posted: January 14, 2020, 9:50 AM Post
If you include pick 6's Winston threw more TDs than anybody else this year.

Posted: January 14, 2020, 8:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
Luke Kuechly retires at age 28.

https://www.panthers.com/news/luke-kuec ... retirement

Posted: January 15, 2020, 8:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
RoCoBrewfan said:

Joins a growing list of guys who are getting out before they are completely broken. Hoping for more...

Posted: January 19, 2020, 3:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
I had no idea the Titans OC was the son of the guy that founded FedEx.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  [ 592 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply