LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  [ 592 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 NFL miscellaneous news

Offline  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: January 25, 2020, 6:58 PM Post
I didn't actually look anyone up. I just tossed Namath and Blanda out there. Lynn Swann is another great example. There are others. I thought Lynch was in, but must be remembering him getting further in the process than Butler a prior year, which is stupid because numbers wise he's not there.

I believe at the time of retirement, Butler was the only 40/20 player in NFL history. Or awfully close, he might have been a 1 or 2 short, but for some reason I remember the stat. He's been hurt by sharing a uniform with Favre and White, whereas Lynch was a star on a team known for defense.

This was recently a topic on Drew Olson's show, or whoever's show he's on, that the NFL Hall of Fame is kind of lame and doesn't carry the same prestige as baseball's. Baseball rejects a lot of really good players, for a long time without 3000 or 500 or Ozzie skills you had a hard time getting in.

Posted: January 25, 2020, 10:51 PM Post
The NFL's hall of fame is weird. You could make a case for a lot of players who should be in and then a case for a lot of players who should not be in. I always though Cunningham should have made it to the hall of fame. I think Cunningham was just born in the wrong time and if Cunningham were playing today he would be talked about being a once in a generation player. What is weird about Cunningham is that he could play in the NFL now and back in the 40's and 50's. But in the 90's forget about it he was just not a QB for that time period even though his numbers were not all that bad.

Moon is another player who would excel in the NFL today.

Posted: January 25, 2020, 11:46 PM Post
Cunningham's an interesting case because 1. How do you weigh the rushing stats and 2. He really only started started more than six games seven times. I believe he would have the fewest such seasons of any modern era Hall of Fame QB if he were put into the Hall.

I don't know that there are any real differences in the quality of the Hall of Famers, and some of the NFL ones cited at least have the old "Can you tell the story of the league without mentioning them?" argument. Although, to be fair, a lot of the questionable baseball ones are from the veterans committees. The NFL Hall also has a more difficult job because the differences in responsibilities between positions is greater than in baseball.

Posted: January 26, 2020, 1:53 AM Post
Comparing players from different eras becomes difficult too. The game has changed so much over time that comparing positions becomes difficult.

Jan Stenerud, for example, is the first HOF kicker. But it was a different era -- he was a 67% kicker for his career which was very good at the time but wouldn't even get you into a training camp these days.

Baseball statistics are a little bit easier to compare and for the most part transcend time, at least in the live ball era.

Posted: January 27, 2020, 2:23 PM Post
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... assistant/

Interesting hire, I thought deserved a mention for all the Badger fans on the boards; he and Travis Frederick (then a Freshman) played together for parts of the 2009 season.

Posted: January 29, 2020, 3:05 PM Post
I was going to mention this a few days ago, but I was shocked the NFL had not stepped in to try and help Antonio Brown...at least not publicly. Now Goodell has mentioned exactly that. With all the flak they have gotten in recent years plus the Aaron Hernandez documentary they really should be trying to save Antonio Brown before it is another disaster.

Online  Re: 2019 NFL miscellaneous news
Posted: January 30, 2020, 6:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
A little surprised that no one has noted that in addition to Dorsey, Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith have both quietly left the Browns. There were a lot of people that thought that front office was going to be a high-powered group with a lot of Packer ties. Apparently the grass wasn't greener....

Posted: January 30, 2020, 6:57 PM Post
Wolf thought he was GM in the wings there so I'm not terribly surprised. I actually think Cleveland finally did something right though. A clean blow up. Don't bring in holdovers from this other place that bring in their other friends. They need to just blow the whole thing up and start from scratch. They probably have an OK QB which is a decent start.

Posted: January 31, 2020, 3:52 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Wolf thought he was GM in the wings there so I'm not terribly surprised. I actually think Cleveland finally did something right though. A clean blow up. Don't bring in holdovers from this other place that bring in their other friends. They need to just blow the whole thing up and start from scratch. They probably have an OK QB which is a decent start.

Well, the guy they just hired used worked for them under Sashi Brown.

Posted: February 02, 2020, 9:54 AM Post
Global Moderator
Steve Atwater was elected to the HOF yesterday, while Butler fell short. Fortunately for Butler, everyone on Twitter is correctly highlighting the fact that Butler outperformed Atwater in nearly every statistical category in his career. Butler is getting in at some point, but it probably should have been yesterday.

Posted: February 02, 2020, 5:31 PM Post
Global Moderator
PeaveyFury said:
A little surprised that no one has noted that in addition to Dorsey, Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith have both quietly left the Browns. There were a lot of people that thought that front office was going to be a high-powered group with a lot of Packer ties. Apparently the grass wasn't greener....

And they found the grass to be Brown...

Posted: February 02, 2020, 7:05 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
PeaveyFury said:

And they found the grass to be Brown...

Not having a meddling owner is a huge advantage. The Packers’ front office might not be batting .1000, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that they’ve been a Top 5 franchise throughout the salary cap era.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  [ 592 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply