LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 37 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Miscellaneous college football news

Offline  Re: 2019 Miscellaneous college football news

Posted: October 30, 2019, 8:03 AM Post
Whatever ends the charade of "amateur" in college sports is fine with me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 30, 2019, 8:21 AM Post
Global Moderator
The NCAA isn't doing this out of benevolence. They are still trying to maintain control of something they have no right to control.

https://hrealsports.substack.com/p/the- ... on-athlete

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Miscellaneous college football news

Posted: October 30, 2019, 8:49 AM Post
It may dramatically change college athletics, may make them worse, and may make parity worse. That being said it needs to happen, stop taking advantage of kids completely. Stop making poor kids/parents take horrendous under the table contracts that tie them to a shoe company with terrible terms for years. What gets lost in a lot of the deals where kids get $50k is it isn't just to go to a school. It usually forces them into a promise to stay with that shoe company when they go pro and forces them to sign with a specific agent. All likely costing them way more than that measly $50k. It is no coincidence many players stick with the shoe company they wore in college.

Also this has nothing to do with getting a piece of the pie when it comes to the money universities make. You won't see a Jonathan Taylor jersey being sold because the NCAA has already said they want nothing to do with the players making money. So no, the players won't be getting part of jersey sales etc. This simply allows them to not be under communist control when it comes to their own person/image. It is kind of crazy the rules athletes are put under. Even at the lower divisions in the NCAA kids are ripped apart for every little thing.

Not sure how this will actually work in reality though. It is not very clear what is or isn't allowed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 30, 2019, 12:11 PM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
It may dramatically change college athletics, may make them worse, and may make parity worse. That being said it needs to happen, stop taking advantage of kids completely. Stop making poor kids/parents take horrendous under the table contracts that tie them to a shoe company with terrible terms for years. What gets lost in a lot of the deals where kids get $50k is it isn't just to go to a school. It usually forces them into a promise to stay with that shoe company when they go pro and forces them to sign with a specific agent. All likely costing them way more than that measly $50k. It is no coincidence many players stick with the shoe company they wore in college.

Also this has nothing to do with getting a piece of the pie when it comes to the money universities make. You won't see a Jonathan Taylor jersey being sold because the NCAA has already said they want nothing to do with the players making money. So no, the players won't be getting part of jersey sales etc. This simply allows them to not be under communist control when it comes to their own person/image. It is kind of crazy the rules athletes are put under. Even at the lower divisions in the NCAA kids are ripped apart for every little thing.

Not sure how this will actually work in reality though. It is not very clear what is or isn't allowed.

The NCAA still wants to be one to say what's allowed, while the recent California law makes no such deference. This matter isn't over, and it's not going to be up to the NCAA to decide.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2019, 4:02 PM Post
FSU fires Willie Taggert and they still owe him over $20 million. How do you explain that one to your Board?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2019, 4:28 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
FSU fires Willie Taggert and they still owe him over $20 million. How do you explain that one to your Board?

Pretty simple, just raise tuition and rake in more of that student loan cash.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 03, 2019, 4:44 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
nodakfan17 said:

If you’re the AD - you have to step down, right? I mean I can only imagine the conversation with my boss if I lost $20 million.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 10:43 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:
jerichoholicninja said:
nodakfan17 said:

If you’re the AD - you have to step down, right? I mean I can only imagine the conversation with my boss if I lost $20 million.

They fund-raised it. Didn't cost the school anything. Kind of crazy that they can just get $ from Alums.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 10:49 AM Post
As much as I know it's been going poorly there, still seems a bit much to fire a guy mid season in year 2. I mean, give the guy a chance. Unless there was just something cancerous going on behind the scenes we're not privy to.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 10:53 AM Post
Global Moderator
stoutdude04 said:

They fund-raised it. Didn't cost the school anything. Kind of crazy that they can just get $ from Alums.

Far be it from me to tell people how to spend their money but me personally I could think of literally 10,000 causes more worthy than big time college sports to donate my money.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 10:56 AM Post
Wonder if Scott Frost is kicking himself fro going to Nebraska now. I know it's his alma mater and all so I'm sure he's happy to try and fix that. But, moving to FSU from UCF would've been a perfect fit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 10:58 AM Post
Global Moderator
tmwiese55 said:
Wonder if Scott Frost is kicking himself fro going to Nebraska now. I know it's his alma mater and all so I'm sure he's happy to try and fix that. But, moving to FSU from UCF would've been a perfect fit.

Would Fleck jumping from Minny to FSU be too big a move?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 11:26 AM Post
His name has been thrown out there already. He's a self brander marketer so I'm sure it's all coming from his camp. Worst case, he'll be able to parlay this good season into more guaranteed money from MN. Personally, I think FSU should be able to do better than him and a program with their stature shouldn't need to bring in his schtick and brand himself over the program. Another thing, he has no southern or SEC area connections, he's been all midwest. So I think they should be able to do better.

So I guess, yes I do think it's too big of a leap for him. Maybe MSU could make sense this offseason? Also, I think a legit promotion like that for Fleck would need him winning at least 2 of the last 4 regular season games, getting to Indy and at least showing up vs OSU. I'd guess the point spread of MN vs OSU in a dome would be about 28.5.

Speaking of MSU, I saw someone say Dantonio could make sense for FSU after he gets canned at MSU. Logic I'd think being to get an established veteran voice in control.

How about you on Fleck?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 04, 2019, 5:43 PM Post
The SEC worked out great for Bielema.
Fleck is a lot like him.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Miscellaneous college football news

Posted: November 04, 2019, 5:53 PM Post
homer said:
stoutdude04 said:

Far be it from me to tell people how to spend their money but me personally I could think of literally 10,000 causes more worthy than big time college sports to donate my money.

They have more money than they know what to do with.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2019, 4:26 PM Post
Aaaand Fleck parlays these rumours into more guaranteed money today. Shocker.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:25 PM Post
I was looking at the Pac 12 standings with the news of Chris Peterson stepping down. Talk about odd. Only 3 out of 12 teams had winning records within conference play. 9 of the 12 at 4-5 or worse. Hard to believe that could even happen.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 37 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply