LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next  [ 165 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Miscellaneous college football news

Online  Re: 2019 Miscellaneous college football news

Posted: May 01, 2020, 3:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
jerichoholicninja said:
JosephC said:
I think it's pretty terrible news for the following reason. If I'm Nike, and my market research says an endorsement deal for player X will generate a Y amount of revenue if that player attends Tennessee, but will generate Y times 1.2 amount of revenue if that players attends USC (bigger market), then what would stop Nike from offering that player a 750k endorsement deal to attend Tennessee....but it's a 1.0 million dollar endorsement deal if they attend USC instead. Do I see corporations guiding players to certain schools to help their bottom line...absolutely I do.

Isn't this happening already? At least now it would be out in the open and we can stop pretending all the amateur student athlete nonsense.

Exactly.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Miscellaneous college football news

Posted: May 01, 2020, 7:06 PM Post
The article states use of logos etc. is not going to be allowed. It does allow them to reference the school and team apparently.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2020, 2:01 AM Post
LouisEly said:
I'd be in favor of it, so long as it was capped at something like $50K/year. Let them make enough to live off of (they're on scholarship so they don't have to worry about paying for school) but not an obscene amount that can be abused. Maybe a 50/50 split, with them keeping 50% and 50% going to a fund for all athletes at that school. And let them learn how taxes work.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm waiting to see how this is going to upset competitive balance and how it is going to impact the programs that don't generate significant revenues on their own. MOST Women's sports and Men's sports outside of FB and BB.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2020, 1:36 PM Post
Not sure if anyone wants to start a 2020 version, but just saw the Big Ten is only playing conference games this year. Stinks about the ND game. A few other conferences are coming out with changes as well.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2019 Miscellaneous college football news

Posted: July 09, 2020, 3:32 PM Post
Global Moderator
I assume the announcement is a precursor to an updated schedule, as I assume they'll still try to play 12 games. Really no reason why they couldn't just have everybody play everybody, basically.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 09, 2020, 5:25 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
I assume the announcement is a precursor to an updated schedule, as I assume they'll still try to play 12 games. Really no reason why they couldn't just have everybody play everybody, basically.

I don't know... I wonder if they are thinking that the non-conference games are mostly the first three weeks of the season, and canceling them will give them more time to see how this evolves with kids coming back to school. Obviously UW's game with Indiana is the first weekend of the season, but it could be pushed back to Sept 19th.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2020, 1:31 AM Post
I am deeply saddened to see Notre Dame robbed of their opportunity to go get their tails kicked by the Badgers at Lambeau. My, how I had been looking forward to that game.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 10, 2020, 7:59 AM Post
A couple thoughts
1. This makes a lot more sense than some people realize. When you keep games in conference the league can mandate a protocol for each team and you know the facilities and abilities of each school to adhere to the guidelines. Some of the smaller schools you play in non-conference simply dont have the same capacity.
2. This might be tipping point. I am still on the fence as to if a season will happen. The Ivy league and junior college systems are cancelling their fall sports season. Some have also pushed all winter sports to starting after January. Could be interesting to see if more basketball players declare for the draft knowing there may not be a season
3. This is a huge loss for the gophers. Instead of 4 cupcakes they might have to play Ohio State and Penn State. They only had Michigan on their schedule of the big 3

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 11, 2020, 7:51 AM Post
Right now the conferences are looking out mainly for themselves (not a knock, just an observation).
To a point I understand but I also wonder practicality. Some conference are VERY spread out so keeping games "in conference" could be a problem in some cases... Nebraska either travels to or hosting Rutgers/ Maryland for example..

While tOSU no longer travels to Oregon early, it also loses an in state opponent in Bowling Green. Florida loses in state opponent in Florida State...

Meanwhile the ACC is trying to assist ND in putting a schedule back together..... Wouldn't it make more sense to keep ND in the Midwest playing a schedule of tOSU, scUM, MSU, Purdue, Indiana, NW, PSU, Minn & Wisc??

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 11, 2020, 9:55 AM Post
Global Moderator
MadThinker88 said:
Meanwhile the ACC is trying to assist ND in putting a schedule back together..... Wouldn't it make more sense to keep ND in the Midwest playing a schedule of tOSU, scUM, MSU, Purdue, Indiana, NW, PSU, Minn & Wisc??

Living in Minnesota, it took me a bit to figure out that you didn't list the University of Minnesota twice. [laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 11, 2020, 9:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
Given that the Big10 is only playing the Big10 (and assuming other conferences follow suit), I wonder how this will impact bowl games and/or the National Championship? If they are held at all...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 11, 2020, 3:59 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
MadThinker88 said:

Living in Minnesota, it took me a bit to figure out that you didn't list the University of Minnesota twice. [laughing]

ur right I should have used the proper term: Meatchicken.. or Lousy Harbaugh

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2020, 7:29 AM Post
New Big 10 schedule released. We get Michigan the week after they play Ohio State.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bigten/statu ... spn.com%2F

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2020, 4:11 PM Post
Global Moderator
The Players Tribune is reporting that a group called College Athlete Unity is making demands of Big Ten schools on their preparedness for Covid, along with some social justice causes. They claim to represent the interest of more than 1,000 football players.

I don't think I can believe that number, since this is the first we have heard of the group, and 1,000 people can't both gather (even remotely) and keep quiet about it. But still, there could be some disruption to teams and schools, depending on how they manage their health and safety initiatives and social stances, and the cohesion of the members of this CAU group.

More to come, as schools react to this story, and as players stand up for their grievances.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2020, 7:43 PM Post
JimH5 said:
The Players Tribune is reporting that a group called College Athlete Unity is making demands of Big Ten schools on their preparedness for Covid, along with some social justice causes. They claim to represent the interest of more than 1,000 football players.

I don't think I can believe that number, since this is the first we have heard of the group, and 1,000 people can't both gather (even remotely) and keep quiet about it. But still, there could be some disruption to teams and schools, depending on how they manage their health and safety initiatives and social stances, and the cohesion of the members of this CAU group.

More to come, as schools react to this story, and as players stand up for their grievances.

I bet if universities threaten to pull the scholarships of those that don't want to play they will change their stance. I'm sure college athletics would love to trim the fat right now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2020, 7:51 PM Post
Same thing happened with the Pac 10 a week or two ago.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2020, 8:14 PM Post
BrewersSuperCollector said:
JimH5 said:

I bet if universities threaten to pull the scholarships of those that don't want to play they will change their stance. I'm sure college athletics would love to trim the fat right now.

Yeah...a school could do that. And that school would look absolutely terrible in every imaginable way.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 06, 2020, 5:19 PM Post
Harbaugh accuses Day of breaking rules, Day tells team to "hang 100" on them:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29608850/michigan-jim-harbaugh-accuses-buckeyes-ryan-day-breaking-rules

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 06, 2020, 5:23 PM Post
JimH5 said:

If they're going to make demands about COVID preparedness, they better hope their fellow student athletes don't pull what several Louisville soccer players pulled:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29609680/louisville-soccer-team-dismisses-3-players-suspends-3-others-holding-party

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 08, 2020, 8:36 AM Post
Global Moderator
Add the MAC to conferences cancelling fall football.

Northern Illinois was the catalyst behind the conference's action.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next  [ 165 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply