LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 165 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2019 Miscellaneous college football news

Online  Re: 2019 Miscellaneous college football news

Posted: August 08, 2020, 2:55 PM Post
Big Ten is also on no pad only helmet workouts. I am going to put the Big Ten completing a full season at 5% a half of a season at 8% and a quarter of a season at 50%. I don't believe the season will go all the way through to a national championship but if it does I expect there to be only a national championship game and that is it.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2019 Miscellaneous college football news

Posted: August 09, 2020, 6:50 PM Post
Power 5 Conference commissions held an emergency meeting today. Big Ten presidents leaning towards postponing the fall sports season, and are looking to see of other Power 5 conferences will follow suit.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29629669/power-5-talking-no-fall-football

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 09, 2020, 8:13 PM Post
LouisEly said:
Power 5 Conference commissions held an emergency meeting today. Big Ten presidents leaning towards postponing the fall sports season, and are looking to see of other Power 5 conferences will follow suit.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29629669/power-5-talking-no-fall-football

The ESPN article is somewhat inaccurate. It wasn't an emergency meeting as it was a scheduled meeting. But it doesn't look like there will be fall college sports.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ue-monday/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 09, 2020, 9:57 PM Post
Global Moderator
Reports tonight say they're going to shut down Big Ten football sometime this week.

It seems inevitable. 160,000+ dead, no uniformity on masking, players balking over safety concerns.

Fans are going to be upset, but for the first time in a long time, schools are ignoring the fans and are doing what makes most sense for the short term health of their students, and the long term health of their football programs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2020, 10:10 AM Post
Global Moderator
Interesting that the narrative has completely changed from 'Players organizing regarding player safety and won't play if issues aren't addressed' to 'Players organizing to try and change the mind of conferences that want to delay or cancel the season' in just a matter of days or even hours...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2020, 10:34 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Interesting that the narrative has completely changed from 'Players organizing regarding player safety and won't play if issues aren't addressed' to 'Players organizing to try and change the mind of conferences that want to delay or cancel the season' in just a matter of days or even hours...

It is always about money. Well future money in this case each year that they are not playing means less for the players professionally. For the players looking to go pro having this season even if it is shortened is essential. Draft stock for some players may tank. Where someone who might sneak into the first round instead of the 2nd or 3rd is a lot of money. Depending on the position like RB you may only get one big payday and that is it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2020, 11:21 AM Post
Global Moderator
nate82 said:
PeaveyFury said:

It is always about money. Well future money in this case each year that they are not playing means less for the players professionally. For the players looking to go pro having this season even if it is shortened is essential. Draft stock for some players may tank. Where someone who might sneak into the first round instead of the 2nd or 3rd is a lot of money. Depending on the position like RB you may only get one big payday and that is it.

Yep. And it can only make things harder for the players in the future when they go from 'we're not going to play because you're not protecting us from this virus' to the conferences responding with 'you're right, the safe thing to do is delay the season until the spring', and the players essentially respond with 'Wait, what? We didn't REALLY mean that we weren't going to play due to concerns about the virus'.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2020, 11:24 AM Post
Global Moderator
Early reports that the Big Ten members voted 12-2 for the cancellation, with Nebraska and Iowa the dissenters.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2020, 12:00 PM Post
Looking like there won't be college football this year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... 20-season/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2020, 2:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
Cynically speaking this has to be about money. I wonder if there is no financial incentive for the schools if there aren't fans in the stands? Not sure how TV rights factor in to the equation.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2020, 3:13 PM Post
Scott Frost looking at other options to play this season. Does he even have that ability as the head coach of Nebraska? Seems like he's puffing his chest to get players to see he "really" wanted to play.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2020, 4:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
homer said:
Cynically speaking this has to be about money. I wonder if there is no financial incentive for the schools if there aren't fans in the stands? Not sure how TV rights factor in to the equation.

I think the money issue is on the risk management/litigation end. Is there an insurance company willing to insure a university or conference against a wrongful death or disability claim in the event that a player, coach, school employee, referee, etc became sick or died because a school played a game requiring extreme physical exertion and closeness during a pandemic? And what of the potential fallout after such an incident? Every one of those university presidents would be forced out if a death occurred.

Most of these universities have medical schools within their academic programs. And each of them is recommending adherence to CDC guidelines. It would seem hypocritical to suggest that football programs are exempt from behavior expected of all other students and staff.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2020, 4:55 PM Post
homer said:

I'm guessing, and it is nothing more than a logical guess, that the TV contracts are still enforced if games are postponed (which can and has happened for a number of reasons, recently hurricanes, etc.) but possibly not if canceled.

My guess is that they are looking to postpone to spring to still enforce the TV contracts and give more time for a vaccine/treatments to have a chance of having some fannies in the stands. Spring sports don't make any money, so moving football to spring is the best shot at salvaging any of the football revenue.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 10, 2020, 7:34 PM Post
Global Moderator
Mountain West joins the MAC in cancelling fall sports.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2020, 7:13 AM Post
Global Moderator
I would not be surprised if that news about potentially cancelling the season was leaked just to gauge the reaction.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2020, 8:15 AM Post
Global Moderator
homer said:
I would not be surprised if that news about potentially cancelling the season was leaked just to gauge the reaction.

I think that's possible, but I'd be astounded if the reaction was anything other than what they expected.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2020, 1:03 PM Post
2020 season officially canceled for the Big 10. They are hoping to play in the spring.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ring-2021/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2020, 1:17 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
I can't imagine the SEC is going to cancel the fall season, but one wonders what the point of playing will be if there is no postseason.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 11, 2020, 1:31 PM Post
Buying time. Smart move on their part.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 11, 2020, 1:37 PM Post
Global Moderator
Brew4U said:
Buying time. Smart move on their part.

Not sure how I'd feel as a player being asked to play two seasons so close together. (spring 2021, fall 2021)

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 165 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply