LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 66  Next  [ 1320 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

Offline  Re: Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread
Posted: November 28, 2019, 12:16 PM Post
Pretty sure he started 0-6 too. Crazy

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 8:08 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
brwrsfan said:
I know what the metrics say, but watching this team play defense it's nearly impossible to call it good. The Utah game is a prime example IMO (same as the Toronto series last season). The Bucks collapse on penetration WAY more than they should. It happened over and over and over against the Jazz where guys would inexplicably collapse (which doesn't make a ton of sense when Giannis and Lopez are in, both capable of protecting the rim). The Jazz would kick it out, sometimes requiring an extra pass or two but wound up with at least 25 wide open threes because the Bucks put themselves in scramble mode and the Jazz had good ball movement.

It's just one game, but it happens consistently. That's ok when teams miss shots or when you're playing a poor shooting team, but against the Jazz (top ten in 3 point %), it made very little sense and the Jazz made them pay with something like 20 made threes. This might be nitpicking but Toronto exploited this big time in the playoffs last year.

If the numbers say they are the second-best team in the league and by eyeball test, you think they should be better, that might say something about the offensive talent in the league more than the Buck's actual defensive capabilities. Time to adjust expectations.

Guess we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Overall, yes the defense has been good. But they’re allowing the 4th highest three point percentage in the league (almost 38%). I guess this is because they’ve made it a point to protect the paint more, but they don’t seem to adjust this game plan much based upon their opponent. If you rewatch the Jazz game (7th best team in the nba on threes), they exploited this over and over. I’m not against helping on penetration but there were many times it just flat wasn’t necessary or guys left their man in the corner without much purpose and it lead to open threes time after time.

Their on ball defense is good, they challenge shots well. Just not understanding the strategy of collapsing as frequently as they do.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread
Posted: November 29, 2019, 9:42 AM Post
Global Moderator
I think when you look at it, Utah shot 21 and 45 from 3 and still needed a few late threes to make it look close. Utah only got to the free-throw line 11 times. They also got outrebounded by 9. Collapsing and defending the paint gives you a lot of advantages. Some nights, any given team will just get hot from outside the arc.

The Bucks defensive rating from last year and this year has shown that defending the paint and denying high-percentage shots is effective. Denying the opponent trips to the free-throw line is effective. It definitely sucks when the opponent gets hot from 3 and it definitely is aesthetically ugly but they won 60 games last year, and they are 15 and 3 this year and their defensive efficiency rating points out that this is working. When you take something away such as the interior, you have to give something up.

Everybody knows this, but interior shots are just higher percentage. Teams worked their tails off to deny the paint to Giannis in the playoffs. They'd rather have him kicking out to Middleton or Lopez and having them shoot threes then having Giannis laying it up or dunking it. The numbers don't lie. It's a good strategy, but it's easy to point out that it's not perfect on a given night that it doesn't look like it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 11:03 AM Post
Global Moderator
Exactly, no NBA defense is going to take away everything...which is why I stated that it says something about the NBA offensive skill (and the desired type of play) in the NBA. No one wants to watch a Detroit Pistons circa 1990 slug-fest game.

Yes, individual games someone will beat them. All teams have that "problem". And the NBA finals last year, it was the Buck's offense (or lack of) that lost the series (in 7 games) and not the defense.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 11:27 AM Post
The Bucks are strategic about what they concede. And it often requires the opponent to shoot well beyond statistical probability to beat them. <cough, cough, Fred Vanvleet /cough>

Statistically it's a good defense and they have the league leading point differential to prove it. Doing the best job in the league at scoring more than your opponent is the primary objective after all.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 8:30 PM Post
I can't watch this team play 3pt "defense" anymore. I'll just read about it on JSOnline when some team "gets hot" against them in late May and their season is over.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 8:34 PM Post
lcbj68c said:
I can't watch this team play 3pt "defense" anymore. I'll just read about it on JSOnline when some team "gets hot" against them in late May and their season is over.

Fortunately they'll have to do it 4 times to end their season.

The Cavs are shooting lights out from 3 tonight. It happens.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 8:37 PM Post
lcbj68c said:

It really does seem like you honestly hate watching the Bucks play. Why bother?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 8:41 PM Post
Global Moderator
16- 3 with the best PPG differential in the league and the "eye test" is still saying that they don't play defense the way some people want. I'm not sure what they should do at this point.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 8:47 PM Post
Every team in the NBA was between 33.6 and 38% in allowed 3Pt shooting in 2019, the Bucks were right there around the middle at 35.6 and were at 37.7% entering tonight. There's literally about a 1 bucket a game difference between the best and worst teams defending it.

Sometimes a team will catch fire, hit half their 3's, and still lose to us by 9, and we'll have to learn to just accept that when it happens.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 11:28 PM Post
Yea, people complaining about the Bucks 3pt defense don't watch the NBA very much, it's that simple.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 11:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
When your opponents shoot 149 for 371 (40.2%) from 3P over a ten game stretch & still lose all ten games by a combined 96 points...you might be a pretty good basketball team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2019, 11:53 PM Post
"We aren't winning the right way or by enough!"- Way too many Bucks fans this season.

Do we forget how terrible we were not that long ago?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2019, 7:51 AM Post
Global Moderator
wallus said:
"We aren't winning the right way or by enough!"- Way too many Bucks fans this season.

This is the same stuff you hear about the Badgers every Saturday, and the Packers every Sunday. Is this just the instant-ranting allowed by Twitter that allows for immediate negative feedback, or are we truly just not enjoying sports the way fans used to?

My goodness.... Lloyd Carr once said 'I'd take an ugly win over a pretty loss every Saturday.' I still believe that to be true, personally.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2019, 8:22 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
wallus said:

This is the same stuff you hear about the Badgers every Saturday, and the Packers every Sunday. Is this just the instant-ranting allowed by Twitter that allows for immediate negative feedback, or are we truly just not enjoying sports the way fans used to?

My goodness.... Lloyd Carr once said 'I'd take an ugly win over a pretty loss every Saturday.' I still believe that to be true, personally.

If you ever really dig deep into it, its always the same people on message boards, and the same people on Twitter, posting that negativity. It is often the same people across multiple sports as well. I think that there is a lot of people out there who simply watch sports with a very pessimistic slant. That guy is typically at most sports bars, too, but at least at a sports bar you can go sit at the other end of the bar. On social media, that guy is constantly screaming in your ear.

Last edited by Joey Meyer Bombs on November 30, 2019, 9:24 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2019, 9:18 AM Post
If you can't derive enjoyment from watching your team win 10 in a row, you're doing fandom wrong.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2019, 10:15 AM Post
Arguably the best team in NBA history lost 10 games that season, including a loss to a team that was 21-61 that year.

Expecting perfection is futile.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2019, 10:26 PM Post
Global Moderator
Giannis' double-double steak ends at 19 tonight.

Trade the bum

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2019, 2:14 AM Post
Global Moderator
Bucks scored 137 points and only one guy had more than 15. 9 men in double figures in a 41 pt win, and Giannis only had to play 20 minutes.

I mean.... Other than the meh 3 pt defense... They're really rolling right now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2019, 7:14 AM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
Bucks scored 137 points and only one guy had more than 15. 9 men in double figures in a 41 pt win, and Giannis only had to play 20 minutes.

I mean.... Other than the meh 3 pt defense... They're really rolling right now.

You know James Harden would not have come out after 20 minutes. He loves the counting stats too much.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 66  Next  [ 1320 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply