LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next  [ 195 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

Online  Re: Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

Posted: October 30, 2019, 8:08 PM Post
I see the not being able to put teams away with big leads is still an issue this year.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

Posted: October 31, 2019, 7:15 AM Post
The problem with this team is obvious. They've surrounded Giannis with a bunch of old guys. It's got to be the oldest team in the league by far. Where's Wilson, DD and Bender who was terrific in the preseason?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2019, 7:29 AM Post
It is Halloween. I think we can hold off on diagnosing the problem with the team.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2019, 7:40 AM Post
nate82 said:
I see the not being able to put teams away with big leads is still an issue this year.

That wasn't a problem last year. That was a big thing under Kidd, last year it wasn't. They got up big, and won by over 10 almost every game. It was actually kinda boring.

So far, I guess my takeaway is that it's a reminder as to how rare a season like last year is to have that kind of point margin and just straight domination. It's not supposed to be that easy. They're now the team with the target on their back and integrating a few new players. No need to panic.

But, Giannis FTs is something that needs to improved. Gotta be a mental thing at this point

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2019, 8:33 AM Post
They need to do something other than just shoot threes. Last night was a prime example. The Celtics had no real interior defense, the offense was struggling. Yet trip after trip, it was just constant three point attempts. Some were open, but when they aren't falling...generate points another way. Attack the rim, post up Giannis or Lopez. They did none of that and just like the Miami game, gave away a 20 point lead in the second half.

It's early, but they need to figure that out. On top of that, I'm not a fan of Bud's rotation - one, we aren't play DD or DJ at all, not even a little. DJ specifically bothers me, we could use his defense and athletic ability at times. Also, why do we need to play our ENTIRE bench at the same time? I don't see any other teams really ever do this. Sure, Giannis and others need rest, but do they really all need to rest together? I just don't get that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2019, 10:25 AM Post
Their 3's aren't falling and they're working in 3 new members to what's currently a 10-man rotation. Sports are so much more enjoyable without the hot takes and the unnecessary highs and lows. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2019, 1:12 PM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
Their 3's aren't falling and they're working in 3 new members to what's currently a 10-man rotation. Sports are so much more enjoyable without the hot takes and the unnecessary highs and lows. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Their 10 man rotation includes:

38 year old Kyle Korver

33 year old George Hill

33 year old Wesley Matthews

32 year old Ersan Ilyasova

31 year old twins, Brook and Robin Lopez

and soon to be 30 year old Eric Bledsoe

How many teams in the NBA will have 70% of their rotation on wrong side of 30?

It's not that each of those players is necessarily finished but it begs the question when they can't finish games that maybe the guys with younger legs should be seeing more minutes? And what about the chemistry off the court between guys of such differing ages? I haven't attended a Bucks game in years, but frankly I'd much rather pay to see DiVincenzo than Korver who's been around forever and basically does one thing. For that matter, I'd rather watch an athletic Wilson or Bender than see more of Ilyasova or Robin Lopez.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2019, 2:24 PM Post
So the assumption is the DiVincenzo, Wilson, and Brown are cast off to mop up duty for the entire season based on 4 games? That explains the unnecessary hand-wringing. Again, they're working in 3 new players. Once everyone gets acclimated, you see the youngins worked back in. Again, marathon not a sprint.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2019, 2:43 PM Post
The Bucks will be fine. All the new guys need to get acclimated with each other. They are all figuring out their roles and where they fit in on the roster to be positive contributors. Boston isn’t exactly a cakewalk either. Playing on the road against a top 4 team in the East isn’t easy. Especially when you have a target on your back as the best team in the East. We will be getting everybody’s best all season long.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 31, 2019, 2:44 PM Post
The only different from last year on the ages is essentially swapping a 27 yr old guard for Wes and Korver to take his minutes. That's really it. The team was old last year too. It's 4 games. No need to panic.

I don't think there is any clear roster construction mess up that points like this try to imply. I think there is or will be an Xs and Os thing of teams adjusting to what MKE did last year and using the Tor blueprint as much as possible. In the Houston game they seemed to have a counter in place with the Lopez post ups. But they need to be more diverse on O. And IMO less Giannis dribbling outside barreling into a set D. Need more motions and more Giannis as the slasher/finisher/crasher/dunker/ally ooper type guy.

And simply Bledsoe and Giannis have to play better than they have.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 01, 2019, 9:51 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
The only different from last year on the ages is essentially swapping a 27 yr old guard for Wes and Korver to take his minutes. That's really it. The team was old last year too. It's 4 games. No need to panic.

I don't think there is any clear roster construction mess up that points like this try to imply. I think there is or will be an Xs and Os thing of teams adjusting to what MKE did last year and using the Tor blueprint as much as possible. In the Houston game they seemed to have a counter in place with the Lopez post ups. But they need to be more diverse on O. And IMO less Giannis dribbling outside barreling into a set D. Need more motions and more Giannis as the slasher/finisher/crasher/dunker/ally ooper type guy.

They posted Lopez up because Houston put a 6'5" guy on him.

My second biggest worry is the teams current happiness with early shot clock above the break 3's, often times with only one pass and no screens at all.

Ball movement, handoffs, screens still need to happen, even in the 5-out offense. The Korver/Giannis two man game being a prime example.

My biggest worry is Giannis doesn't seem like himself. He's shot at least 6-7 layups this year already, which would've been dunks last year.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 01, 2019, 10:55 AM Post
Global Moderator
Baldkin said:
tmwiese55 said:

My second biggest worry is the teams current happiness with early shot clock above the break 3's, often times with only one pass and no screens at all.

Ball movement, handoffs, screens still need to happen, even in the 5-out offense. The Korver/Giannis two man game being a prime example.

My biggest worry is Giannis doesn't seem like himself. He's shot at least 6-7 layups this year already, which would've been dunks last year.

I've been trying to avoid blind speculation as a fan, but I wonder if Giannis isn't fresh to start the season like he was last year. It seemed like he played an awful lot of organized basketball in the offseason

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 01, 2019, 1:33 PM Post
Baldkin said:
tmwiese55 said:

Right, but that's not something they really used last year. It was the right move and he is still a great low post guy, no reason not to sprinkle it in to mix things up.

Your next two lines are what I was getting at as well. This stand and stare at Giannis while he barrels into a set D needs to countered with the stuff you listed. to me I want to see giannis ally oop dunking multiple times a game as the roll man. Think Deandre Jordan on steroids (or more steroids lol).

Agree giannis has just been a bit off. I do chalk most up to the Xs and Os stuff we just mentioned. But yea could be a combo of playing late into the playoffs and international. Then by the time he takes a bit of RnR the season is starting

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 01, 2019, 2:07 PM Post
FG attempts within 5 feet:

Last season: 2nd in NBA
This season: 29th

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 01, 2019, 2:10 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:

Saw this earlier, good pointing it out. As much as the hype last year was around letting it fly. The stability of having tons of points in the paint with top notch efficiency was crucial to have in your back pocket every night as variance happens on 3s. Bledsoe is good at this, but has been bad so far. Giannis, same as we've talked about. But Xs and Os mentioned here and the copying Tor D to stop this, have to have the motions and things just mentioned here as other ways to get creases to the hoop.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 01, 2019, 2:48 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
FVBrewerFan said:

Saw this earlier, good pointing it out. As much as the hype last year was around letting it fly. The stability of having tons of points in the paint with top notch efficiency was crucial to have in your back pocket every night as variance happens on 3s. Bledsoe is good at this, but has been bad so far. Giannis, same as we've talked about. But Xs and Os mentioned here and the copying Tor D to stop this, have to have the motions and things just mentioned here as other ways to get creases to the hoop.

Yea, even during the season last year when they were cruising I said I hated Giannis with the ball in his hands at the top of the key. I'm really disappointed Bud hasn't (seemingly) changed the offense at all. Giannis should be roaming more without the ball. Swing it around until you get it to him in the post or slashing into the lane. He can even driver from further out once the ball moves around and he's not just standing still with a wall in front of him. Who knows, maybe Giannis is pulling a Rodgers and just winging it. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the feel for the game to pull that off.

They appear to be SO tight, starting with Giannis. They need to R-E-L-A-X. Either way, you can tell me not to panic, but I'm close. I don't buy the "working 3 guys in" theory. The other great teams are working in new players, doing just fine. Same with the Bucks last season- and they were dealing with A LOT more changes. New coach, new system, etc. NBA is not a league where a team gets hot late in the year and wins it all. Champs in this league do it wire to wire, and that's why my finger is hovering over the panic button.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 07, 2019, 7:24 PM Post
Global Moderator
Giannis is first player in NBA history with +200 points +100 rebounds and +50 assists in the first 8 games of a season.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 08, 2019, 9:47 AM Post
He's so ridiculous that his stat lines are kind of to just start blending in as expected and no big deal at this point. Keep in mind, stats are a bit inflated form what we've been accustomed to the last 20ish years due to pace and all that. But still, the guy is just ridiculous to watch. Still generally feel the general public isn't fully aware of the level this kid is at

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Milwaukee Bucks 2019 - 20 Season Thread

Posted: November 08, 2019, 10:49 PM Post
Let's maybe stop getting Middleton the ball on the last play to win. That's the second time he's done that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 08, 2019, 10:50 PM Post
Global Moderator
That's a gut punch way to lose a game. Down 22 points, claw all the way back to get the tie with 8 seconds to go, then get the ball back with 2.3 seconds, and not only not get a shot off, but give them the ball with enough time to get off a shot as well.

I understand that Gobert is a huge defensive presence, and he doesn't just alter shots, but you have to be smart. If you can't get a shot off, don't give them an opportunity to win the game there.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next  [ 195 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply