LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 157 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Game 9: Packers @ Chargers - Sunday, November 3rd, 3:25PM

Online  Re: Game 9: Packers @ Chargers - Sunday, November 3rd, 3:25PM
Posted: November 03, 2019, 6:19 PM Post
How many deep balls has Rodgers thrown today that had no shot of being caught? And on 3rd and 4th down at that.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 6:22 PM Post
Rodgers and his poor body language is something I won’t miss when he’s done.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 9: Packers @ Chargers - Sunday, November 3rd, 3:25PM
Posted: November 03, 2019, 6:22 PM Post
Brew4U said:
adambr2 said:
I can't believe that anyone watching this actually fancies this team a Super Bowl contender. Just too many things that they are really bad at. This may be the worst run defense I've ever seen out of any Packer team, ever. Christian McCaffrey might go through 3 pairs of cleats next week.

I just thought they might win the division. Host a playoff game. Never went into this season thinking Super Bowl. Hopefully they can right the ship and still win the division. Not sure though.

I think they could still possibly win the division, but only because I don't think they're really competing with anyone besides Minnesota and they're in a favorable tiebreaker position.

While things can change, they clearly are at best a very distant #3 team in the NFC right now and not on the level of the 49ers or Saints. Let's just hope at this point that they can bounce back at home against Carolina, not a gimme game at all.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 6:25 PM Post
PinaMadness said:
How many deep balls has Rodgers thrown today that had no shot of being caught? And on 3rd and 4th down at that.

He was terrible today in his decision making. Had Williams for the first on 4th and 4 and again threw a deep ball that had no real chance.

I'm frankly glad they didn't score on the last drive because the last thing they needed today was to be able to steer the narritive that they fought back hard because the final score was only 26-19 and didn't look that lopsided. They needed a humbling.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 6:29 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Brew4U said:
adambr2 said:
I can't believe that anyone watching this actually fancies this team a Super Bowl contender. Just too many things that they are really bad at. This may be the worst run defense I've ever seen out of any Packer team, ever. Christian McCaffrey might go through 3 pairs of cleats next week.

I just thought they might win the division. Host a playoff game. Never went into this season thinking Super Bowl. Hopefully they can right the ship and still win the division. Not sure though.

I think they could still possibly win the division, but only because I don't think they're really competing with anyone besides Minnesota and they're in a favorable tiebreaker position.

While things can change, they clearly are at best a very distant #3 team in the NFC right now and not on the level of the 49ers or Saints. Let's just hope at this point that they can bounce back at home against Carolina, not a gimme game at all.

I believe the 49ers are overrated and will play 4-4 ball the rest of the way and get knocked out in the divisional round at home, possibly by Seattle.

Packers are probably a 8-8 football team that will somehow will themselves to 11-5. Likewise, they will probably get beat at home on Wild Card weekend against a hot football team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 6:29 PM Post
Brew4U said:
adambr2 said:

That’s pretty much where I’m at too.

Anything can happen if you get into the playoffs healthy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 6:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
Well if there was ever a team not ready to play it was that one. Burn the tape, move on.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 6:42 PM Post
Since it worked for the Chargers today, Pettine should be fired before they board the plane home. New coordinator can spark something in the defense. Kenny Clark was beat something awful multiple times today. And maybe theres scheme going on causing that. It helps the Smiths but not him and his effort lacked. Amos. He was something to begin the year, now he looks played out. Another scheme problem. Blitz him more. I thought we may be getting a guy that would be like Leroy Butler, not a step closer HaHa as it looks right now.
I think its time to adjust to where this league has gone and draft Offense only. You can fill the defense with UDFa like Lancaster who has out performed Gary the higher 1st rd pick this year. Bulags has regressed these last two weeks. Back to being overrated. This team might not make the playoffs. Seriously. With the remaining schedule, making it to 10wins is asking a lot.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 7:02 PM Post
Winning three more games isn't asking a lot. It wouldn't TOTALLY surprise me if they did go 10-6 though, because I have felt they're a notch worse than their record all season. I'm seeing 11-5 though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 7:11 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
Since it worked for the Chargers today, Pettine should be fired before they board the plane home. New coordinator can spark something in the defense. Kenny Clark was beat something awful multiple times today. And maybe theres scheme going on causing that. It helps the Smiths but not him and his effort lacked. Amos. He was something to begin the year, now he looks played out. Another scheme problem. Blitz him more. I thought we may be getting a guy that would be like Leroy Butler, not a step closer HaHa as it looks right now.
I think its time to adjust to where this league has gone and draft Offense only. You can fill the defense with UDFa like Lancaster who has out performed Gary the higher 1st rd pick this year. Bulags has regressed these last two weeks. Back to being overrated. This team might not make the playoffs. Seriously. With the remaining schedule, making it to 10wins is asking a lot.

I really thought coming into this year, this was a put up or shut up year for the Packer D. I felt like they needed to be a top 5 to 7 unit to justify everything they've done to overhaul it in the offseason, and the more I watch them the more it looks like nothing has changed.

Collectively, they're not getting the job done. Individually, I have to think there's talent. They went out and made a huge investment in the Smiths, a huge investment in Amos, a 1st rounder in Clark, traded up in the 1st for Savage, took Gary with a high 1st, spent 1st and 2nd rounders on King, Alexander, and Jackson. They have poured every bit of resources into fixing this defense usually at the expense of the offense. There is not much more that they can do to fix the D that they haven't been doing. At some point you've got to figure out why the hell this pattern has continued for the better part of the last decade with no improvement.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 7:15 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
You can fill the defense with UDFa like Lancaster who has out performed Gary the higher 1st rd pick this year.

This. x1000. It's been my stance for the last decade or so that interior defensive lineman are a dime a dozen. LS is about the only positions I would consider less important. It's unpopular, but the Kenny Clark's the world just aren't worth setting your team back an entire draft round so you can be set with Geronimo Allisons of the world struggling to get open against a terrible secondary. Not that I have a problem drafting Gary per say, just not at #12. I don't think you take Kenny Clark ahead of Myles Jack, Jaylon Smith, Hunter Henry, Michael Thomas, Deion Jones, etc.

What's Quinnen Williams doing this year? 19 tackles and 1.5 sacks?
What's Ed Oliver doing this year? 18 tackles and 1 sack?
What's Clelin Ferrel doing this year? 10 tackles and 1 sack?
Christian Wilkins? 23 tackles and 0 sacks?

The list goes on and on, year after year. Spend draft capital on edge rushers, ILB, OLB, secondary...and just throw "a guy" (Howard Green) out there. Rashan Gary had no business being draft at #12. None. More like #35.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 7:28 PM Post
I missed about 90% of today's game, but the defense is better. It's just not a top defense, which I've been saying all year, and yet again, it was picked apart by a top QB. It's a bend but not break defense, and I personally hate playing that way. It probably would have worked again had the offense done ANYTHING. I mean, they bent plenty and gave up 4 FGs. They were still in it.

Pettine's honeymoon is waning though. There was so much positive press on him early that it feels like people are still riding it, but really, what has he achieved in GB? Taking the defense from league embarrassment to mediocre? It's time to start playing a lot better. I'm sure he's safe for now, but that seat will be warming up if it's the same defense next year I'd think.

They just never seem to have those thoroughly dominant defenses like some recent 49ers or Seahawks they had so much trouble with just a few years ago. Fans also drastically overrate talent. I won't pretend to know how to thoroughly gauge the defensive talent, but there are usually like five guys on every team that nobody would describe as "good" other than the hometown fans. They're probably just not super good.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 7:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
The interior D is awful. Martinez hits a guy and gets dragged two yards (plus he can't cover), and the two Northwestern dudes get pushed laterally like they aren't even there. Not a recipe for success.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 7:36 PM Post
And if you had said Blake Martinez sucked or was even mediocre last year, your head would be on a stick. That's what I mean. Certain players get revered by fans and to the rest of the league, they are just guys. Kevin King, Morgan Burnett, etc., it's kind of a weird phenomenon as to who gets anointed and who doesn't.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 7:41 PM Post
You could actually argue that the defense is even worse than it was under Capers simply because there is more talent this year than there ever was under Capers since the Super Bowl. The Smiths are having fantastic seasons and Amos has played well, but that individual success is not translating to team success. That would tell me it's scheme. I'm pretty much at my wits end with Pettine now. I thought he'd be a significant improvement over Capers. That has not been the case over the past 24 games.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 7:58 PM Post
There isn't more talent. The Smiths are fine players, ok. A healthy Sam Shields before concussion issues is better than either of our starting corners. And we had Woodson, we had Peppers, we had a still very good but lightning rod Clay Matthews. There's not more talent than Capers had after the Super Bowl; that's just not true. There's more talent than the past two seasons. There is a lot of youth and more question marks than most would admit.

I think it's really a matter of poor drafting having consequences. They have missed too often with early picks over the years. Guys that really need to be established or ascending players are not contributing anything significant.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 8:11 PM Post
Gary doesn't really look like a great pick so far. I know it's hard to judge this early, but he was an unfinished project at UM and he's still an unfinished project here. Taking a raw guy that early was a really odd fit for our other offseason moves.

I really wanted to use both 1st round picks to move up and get Bosa, but I acknowledge that maybe wasn't a possibility, don't know if the 49ers were even willing to deal.

#12 is just awfully early to get a guy that you don't expect to have much impact as a rookie especially attempting to contend already. I hope he grows into what we hope but I think it's far more likely than not that he just ends up being a guy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 8:26 PM Post
Welp, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about one rotten game. It happens to almost every team.

How they respond next week will be key.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 8:51 PM Post
You have to read between the lines, but Rodgers pretty much came out and said that some guys on the team spent too much time this weekend partying rather than preparing for the Chargers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 8:55 PM Post
I caught that too, little strange.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 157 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply