LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 157 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Game 9: Packers @ Chargers - Sunday, November 3rd, 3:25PM

Offline  Re: Game 9: Packers @ Chargers - Sunday, November 3rd, 3:25PM
Posted: November 03, 2019, 9:07 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Welp, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about one rotten game. It happens to almost every team.

How they respond next week will be key.

I'm willing to chalk it up to a bad day at the office for the offense.

The defensive problems are pretty concerning. Things haven't gotten better since they took a turn for the worse against Philly. They still can't stop the run and the big chunk plays have continued to be there. They were there for Matt Moore, they were there for Philip Rivers.

At this point I think the early season hope for many that this would be a dominant defense has come and gone. They are who they are, and some of the issues just can't be fixed in-season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 9:17 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
Welp, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about one rotten game. It happens to almost every team.

The defensive problems are pretty concerning. Things haven't gotten better since they took a turn for the worse against Philly. They still can't stop the run and the big chunk plays have continued to be there. They were there for Matt Moore, they were there for Philip Rivers.

At this point I think the early season hope for many that this would be a dominant defense has come and gone. They are who they are, and some of the issues just can't be fixed in-season.

I think the defense is ok. Not great ... ok. Better than last year, but that isn't saying much. This team will go as far as the offense can take it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 9:18 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

Right now I would be happy with steady improvement.
But improvement is no where to be found.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 9:31 PM Post
That defense is probably in the 16-20th range. The offense has not looked good enough to me to go toe-to-toe with the very best defenses, which it has not even faced. It has struggled with average ones. I think whoever called them an 8-8 team that willed itself to 11-5 is pretty accurate. I think most people saw an 8-10 win season in preseason. The line between 8 and 11 can be razor thin and they got a few breaks when they needed them. I just haven't been able to shake feeling like something is "off" with this team and that embarrassment today reinforced it. They really draw a lot of parallels to the '15 team that started 6-0.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 9:37 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
Right. I’ve only taken the Packers against the Bears and the Broncos. I’d pick against them today too, but I realize how ridiculous that looks week-after-week as they constantly prove me wrong.

I've found the culprit guys. Our reverse jinx charm failed to show up today.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 9:42 PM Post
This is a team that hasn't established any sort of identity yet. They've managed to win a bunch of games in different ways, and the two losses were very, very different. The Eagles loss was on the defense, while today's game, I believe, falls on the shoulders of the offense. The Chargers dared the Packers to beat them by settling for field goals time and time again, but the Packers just looked lethargic on offense until it was too late. They are just a tough team to get a read on. I think they are a tam that can stick with anyone when they are on, but they've had too many instances of being "off" this season to truly feel comfortable.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 9:52 PM Post
adambr2 said:
You have to read between the lines, but Rodgers pretty much came out and said that some guys on the team spent too much time this weekend partying rather than preparing for the Chargers.

He's probably right, but I would take him more seriously if he hadn't played one of his worst games of his career, if not the worst.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 9:56 PM Post
Global Moderator
lcbj68c said:
The list goes on and on, year after year. Spend draft capital on edge rushers, ILB, OLB, secondary...and just throw "a guy" (Howard Green) out there. Rashan Gary had no business being draft at #12. None. More like #35.

But... Gary IS an Edge rusher. Your post suggests that you think he's an interior DL, but he's not, so I'm confused.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 10:01 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
lcbj68c said:
The list goes on and on, year after year. Spend draft capital on edge rushers, ILB, OLB, secondary...and just throw "a guy" (Howard Green) out there. Rashan Gary had no business being draft at #12. None. More like #35.

But... Gary IS an Edge rusher. Your post suggests that you think he's an interior DL?

Was thinking the same thing reading that post. Gary is 100% an edge rusher. That's his future in this defense. Almost a carbon copy body type to ZaDarius. He's got the ability to rush from an inside spot in some packages, but he's going to be an outside rusher for the most part.

It is kind of a bummer that he hasn't produced more, but the kid is only 21 years old, and is relatively green as a stand-up rusher. We're going to have to be patient with him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 10:11 PM Post
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
This is a team that hasn't established any sort of identity yet. They've managed to win a bunch of games in different ways, and the two losses were very, very different. The Eagles loss was on the defense, while today's game, I believe, falls on the shoulders of the offense. The Chargers dared the Packers to beat them by settling for field goals time and time again, but the Packers just looked lethargic on offense until it was too late. They are just a tough team to get a read on. I think they are a tam that can stick with anyone when they are on, but they've had too many instances of being "off" this season to truly feel comfortable.

True. Early on, it was hey this defense is built for take-aways. Now that has fallen off. How about bend, don't break? Sort of, I guess. On offense, running game looks great, then non-existent. Pass protection is great or awful. I still really don't know what their offense is yet.

Most of this is due, I believe, to limited talent. And then some of that talent is very young. But in general, I see a defense that is reacting rather than imposing their will. They don't get enough pressure on the qb, and rarely blitz. Middle of the field is always open for business. I want early season Savage back.

On offense, yea, nobody's getting open. But is that, in part, because they're still predictable? I guess I was expecting more imagination this year. No matter what I hear, I'm still convinced this offense is a mish mosh of the game plan/ play called and what Rodgers wants to do.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 10:13 PM Post
Global Moderator
FVBrewerFan said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

On offense, yea, nobody's getting open. But is that, in part, because they're still predictable? I guess I was expecting more imagination this year. No matter what I hear, I'm still convinced this offense is a mish mosh of the game plan/ play called and what Rodgers wants to do.

I mean if you only watched today's game I get that opinion of the offense but did you watch the last three or four?

I have no doubts the offense will be fine. Today? The offensive line might as well have stayed on the plane. They were awful. The pre-snap penalties were inexcusable and it was obvious they weren't ready to play.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 10:19 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:

True. Early on, it was hey this defense is built for take-aways. Now that has fallen off. How about bend, don't break? Sort of, I guess. On offense, running game looks great, then non-existent. Pass protection is great or awful. I still really don't know what their offense is yet.

Most of this is due, I believe, to limited talent. And then some of that talent is very young. But in general, I see a defense that is reacting rather than imposing their will. They don't get enough pressure on the qb, and rarely blitz. Middle of the field is always open for business. I want early season Savage back.

Today's offense game plan was a dud. I don't know if that was because the plan itself was poor, or if Rodgers freelancing didn't work. But over the last month or so, the offense has been very innovative and dang near terrific. They been great at attacking the weaknesses in the opposition's defense. For some reason, despite the chargers being one of the worst run defenses in the league, the Packers didn;t attack them with the running game today. Rodgers also took several inexplicable bombs in 3rd and medium or short situations, which is something he did a lot last year, but i haven't seen much of this year. I don't know what happened to that innovative offense we've been seeing. I hope it wasn't Rodgers going off script.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 10:22 PM Post
Global Moderator
LaFleur said they never even made it into the game plan.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2019, 10:28 PM Post
The offensive line was awful. Rodgers was bad. Jones and Williams were fine but they can only do so much.

I was afraid of a game like this when Adams returned. I do wonder if being without Adams made Rodgers a better quarterback when he was forced into trusting his guys and throwing into tighter windows. It looked like he was back into the old habits today of just staring down Adams. Not good.

I'm obviously not saying we don't need Adams back but he needs to be fit into the scheme of this offense, not become the focal point of it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 04, 2019, 1:40 AM Post
adambr2 said:
The offensive line was awful. Rodgers was bad. Jones and Williams were fine but they can only do so much.

I was afraid of a game like this when Adams returned. I do wonder if being without Adams made Rodgers a better quarterback when he was forced into trusting his guys and throwing into tighter windows. It looked like he was back into the old habits today of just staring down Adams. Not good.

I'm obviously not saying we don't need Adams back but he needs to be fit into the scheme of this offense, not become the focal point of it.

Adams definitely was eye candy for Rodgers today. I am of the opinion Lazard needs to be WR2 and starting. I feel MVS has a limited playbook to draw from. Allison plays undersized. Lazard wants it. Plays big on the field. Today, Adams return took Lazard off the field the first half. If there's a positive to look at its that Lazard has talent and he's showing it when he gets snaps. Rodgers has two go to threats again at WR.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 05, 2019, 7:03 PM Post
homer said:

That surprises me. Even though the offense struggled early, they were only down by 6 for much of the first half. Why panic? On the bright side, the Vikings still have to play the Chargers in LA this year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 06, 2019, 10:51 AM Post
Global Moderator
nodakfan17 said:
homer said:

That surprises me. Even though the offense struggled early, they were only down by 6 for much of the first half. Why panic? On the bright side, the Vikings still have to play the Chargers in LA this year.

Probably because Rodgers was hurried or sacked on like 90% of his early drop backs? You can't perform your plan if you can't actually have a play develop.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 157 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply