LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 61 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Badger Recruiting

Offline  Re: Badger Recruiting 2020

Posted: June 24, 2020, 4:59 AM Post
6' 0" CB from Florida looks nice. Hope he can run. Anyone with a 40 time?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Recruiting 2020

Posted: July 15, 2020, 5:44 AM Post
Allen signing in 2022 is a huge get. These kids want to play for Leonard. I cannot wait to see the defense in two to three years.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Recruiting

Posted: July 15, 2020, 9:08 AM Post
Defensive backfield is one of the areas they needed clear improvement from in order compete with OSU. They seem to have done that in recruiting, of course lots of steps to go before they're on the field but its a start. If this continues, then WR would be the other clear area where they could improve a lot. Unfortunately they just lost their best WR coach they've had in countless years who was also one of their best recruiters. They had started doing better there, we'll see what happens now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 21, 2020, 12:44 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Defensive backfield is one of the areas they needed clear improvement from in order compete with OSU. They seem to have done that in recruiting, of course lots of steps to go before they're on the field but its a start. If this continues, then WR would be the other clear area where they could improve a lot. Unfortunately they just lost their best WR coach they've had in countless years who was also one of their best recruiters. They had started doing better there, we'll see what happens now.

Yeah, I remember a discussion on here last year where people were arguing that the talent gap wasn't that wide. Take a look at the QB's/WR'ers and CB's drafted from Ohio State in just the past few years compared to the Badgers?

But the Badgers have Mertz..they're loading up on the secondary. I don't know that they need elite WR'er recruits as long as they can keep playing their style, but if they can keep recruiting at this level, maybe it won't take a perfect game from the Badgers and a terrible game from the Buckeyes in order for us to hope to have a prayer.

Just keep that wall around Wisconsin for the next couple years and try and steal a couple ESPN 300 recruits and we should have a real chance to compete in the near future.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 21, 2020, 5:54 AM Post
Jerry Cross 6' 6" WR out of Milwaukee is down to Penn State and Wisconsin in the 2022 class. It would be a great get at WR or maybe he fills out and becomes a hybrid TE/WR. Having that kind of height is hard to beat.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Badger Recruiting

Posted: July 21, 2020, 8:00 AM Post
Slightly off topic, but I'm always amazed when guys have schools like Penn St. in their final grouping. Hasnt PSU had some major issues again lately?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 21, 2020, 11:15 PM Post
stoutdude04 said:
Slightly off topic, but I'm always amazed when guys have schools like Penn St. in their final grouping. Hasnt PSU had some major issues again lately?

I'm not. That's the top school in one of the most talent laden states and a historical powerhouse.

They spend money, attract talent and they get guys to the NFL.

If you're an 18 year old kid, you don't care enough about Jerry Sandusky to eliminate PSU from your list.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2020, 9:19 AM Post
HiAndTight said:
stoutdude04 said:

I'm not. That's the top school in one of the most talent laden states and a historical powerhouse.

They spend money, attract talent and they get guys to the NFL.

If you're an 18 year old kid, you don't care enough about Jerry Sandusky to eliminate PSU from your list.

I suppose that's true, but I thought they just had some other things pop up? I'm probably misremembering.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2020, 12:18 PM Post
If you are 18 you probably don’t even know who Sandusky is.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 25, 2020, 1:34 PM Post
MrTPlush said:

Probably. I have no idea why I thought they had another scandal recently, but I just googled it and couldnt come up with anything.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 27, 2020, 1:04 AM Post
stoutdude04 said:
MrTPlush said:

Probably. I have no idea why I thought they had another scandal recently, but I just googled it and couldnt come up with anything.

They've been investigated for a couple things since Sandusky. One had to do with Hazing IIRC. All relatively small things.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 27, 2020, 8:13 AM Post
Yes there was some negative things lately with hazing and Franklin being a bet crazy. They also had a racist thing happen last season with an alumni or donor sending a letter to kid telling him to cut his dreads off, something of that nature. But they still provide everything else a college player wants and Franklin is a great recruiter.

Think there is a possible TE announcing today.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 03, 2020, 4:43 AM Post
Jerry Cross to PSU. It is hard to loss the in state stars.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 04, 2020, 7:35 PM Post
Mr Southpaw said:

I don't follow recruiting like I once did, but looking at Penn State's signings plus the guys they are still after in 2021, it appears like there is a good chance that they won't be signing a TE in 2021. So if they told Cross that he would be the only TE they would recruit in 2022, then he goes in as the only tight end in 2022, with no 2021 tight end ahead of him. Wisconsin tight end numbers, 2019 = 2, 2020 = 2, 2021 = 1. Penn State, 2019 = 1, 2020 = 2, 2021 = 0 (not finalized). Playing time could have been a pretty significant factor in this.

Sucks as a Badger fan. Bucky may have legitimate numbers at the position now (they sure didn't last year), but the fact remains that there isn't one pass-catching tight end on the roster that has done anything of note in a Big 10 game once you get past Jake Ferguson.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 04, 2020, 9:18 PM Post
Well, the two potential TEs they recruited the year after Ferguson (2018) ended up switching positions (Cormac Sampson to OL, Jaylan Franklin to OLB) so they didn't have a scholarship backup to him except the two true freshman last year (Rucci, Cundiff). The planned backup to Ferguson was a junior who medically retired (Benzschawel) during the season and their 3rd string TE (Lloyd) missed the season due to injury. The backup TE (Eschenbach) was a walk-on redshirt freshman.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 06, 2020, 12:53 PM Post
JosephC said:
Mr Southpaw said:

I don't follow recruiting like I once did, but looking at Penn State's signings plus the guys they are still after in 2021, it appears like there is a good chance that they won't be signing a TE in 2021. So if they told Cross that he would be the only TE they would recruit in 2022, then he goes in as the only tight end in 2022, with no 2021 tight end ahead of him. Wisconsin tight end numbers, 2019 = 2, 2020 = 2, 2021 = 1. Penn State, 2019 = 1, 2020 = 2, 2021 = 0 (not finalized). Playing time could have been a pretty significant factor in this.

Sucks as a Badger fan. Bucky may have legitimate numbers at the position now (they sure didn't last year), but the fact remains that there isn't one pass-catching tight end on the roster that has done anything of note in a Big 10 game once you get past Jake Ferguson.

Is it a given this guy is going to be a TE? I seem him listed at WR'er on ESPN recruiting rankings.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 08, 2020, 11:20 AM Post
Global Moderator
the WR/TE line seems to be blurring...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2020, 4:48 AM Post
New window for Juniors opens September 1.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 31, 2020, 11:44 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
the WR/TE line seems to be blurring...

Of course...but moreso from big TE's who play like Jimmy Graham. Not so much the other way around where you have big WR'ers who lineup on the end of the LOS and block(though I guess Lazzard did that some last year).

More just asking if people are assuming he's a TE because he's 6'6 or if that's his projected position. Like when the Brewers sign a big SS from the DR and everyone just assumes he'll move to 3rd or won't be able to stick at SS(and they're usually right).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 02, 2020, 7:32 PM Post
Global Moderator
HiAndTight said:
Of course...but moreso from big TE's who play like Jimmy Graham. Not so much the other way around where you have big WR'ers who lineup on the end of the LOS and block(though I guess Lazzard did that some last year).

Packer WRs didn't line up tight to the LOS, but there were a lot of plays where Kumerow and Lazard were in there intentionally for blocking purposes. Big 6-4, 6-5 WRs that command a CB to defend them, shove them around to seal the edge in running plays. Jones sprung a lot of outside running plays that way. I would assume Funchess was targeted for similar reasons. Plus St. Brown this year and MVS isn't tiny either.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 61 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply