LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  [ 344 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Packer Offseason Thread: Latest- Packers Sign Kenny Clark- 4 years/$70 Million

Offline  Re: Packer Offseason Thread: Latest- Packers Sign Kenny Clark- 4 years/$70 Million
Posted: September 09, 2020, 3:51 PM Post
Global Moderator
HiAndTight said:
Agree all the way. I swore you said something about how they devalued the WR'er position or they were devaluing it with their new scheme which you did not say, so that's my mistake.

Well, kind of. I think the scheme will tend to use fewer 3 and 4 WR lineups, so the need for a WR wasn't as significant. Their focus seemed to be more at adding receivers at the TE and RB position (well, we will see if AJ can catch) instead of more WRs. So the WR position is devauled a bit (so it seems by their offseason's actions*), but not necessarily devaluing passing.

*noting that I think three things really drove the lack of WR focus in the offseason: Love dropping to them, liking the TE/RB options over the WR options in the 2nd/3rd rounds, and expecting a bigger development from MVS, ESB, and Lazard than "the pundits"(i.e. better options than available in the 5th+round).

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Packer Offseason Thread: Latest- Packers Sign Kenny Clark- 4 years/$70 Million
Posted: September 09, 2020, 7:52 PM Post
The Packers' luck might be a bit overstated but yah, they could stand to improve offensively, whether it be getting a second year in the system, Lazard proving last year wasn't a fluke and doing it for a full season or MVS taking the kind of leap that his athleticism makes him capable of.

Never been a big St. Brown guy, but I am more intrigued by Taylor than the usual practice squad holdover. He seems like the kind of guy the practice squad is made for (athletic, small school talent who needs a year to adjust to the big jump in competition). Hopefully he's been paying attention to Adams as far as route-running and the like. Given some of their similarities, he seems like the perfect guy for Taylor to emulate.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 09, 2020, 9:14 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
HiAndTight said:
Agree all the way. I swore you said something about how they devalued the WR'er position or they were devaluing it with their new scheme which you did not say, so that's my mistake.

Well, kind of. I think the scheme will tend to use fewer 3 and 4 WR lineups, so the need for a WR wasn't as significant. Their focus seemed to be more at adding receivers at the TE and RB position (well, we will see if AJ can catch) instead of more WRs. So the WR position is devauled a bit (so it seems by their offseason's actions*), but not necessarily devaluing passing.

*noting that I think three things really drove the lack of WR focus in the offseason: Love dropping to them, liking the TE/RB options over the WR options in the 2nd/3rd rounds, and expecting a bigger development from MVS, ESB, and Lazard than "the pundits"(i.e. better options than available in the 5th+round).

Maybe it's just semantics. I don't think they place any less value on the position in terms of acquiring impact talent...they're just not going to keep 7 guys like they did at times in the past.

It's also not like we went from playing 5 wide to lining up with 2 TE's 75 pct of the time. LaFleur's still used 3 Wide on ~65 pct of the snaps last year.

They obviously really like the two young guys. But I'd be willing to bet if they were offered the same deal that the Texans offered the Cards for D-Hop, they'd have jumped at it and been willing to give him the extension he got.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 10, 2020, 8:21 AM Post
Global Moderator
D-hop trade, yes. Extension... not sure they could do him and Rodgers both. Granted, that might be short term... But you need to acquire talent when you can.

I don't think they will ever line up with two TEs 75% of the time unless Sternberger and Tonyan suddenly become very Kittle-like.

But I don't think last year is a good indicator of this year either. It normally takes a few years to transform a roster into what you need. That is the main point I was trying to make about the draft. I think they were intentional about getting players that fit the system we want to run.

I'm not sure how much of a shift we will see, but if you are running 75% of your plays (MM) with 3+ WRs, you need 4-5 talented WRs plus 2 development types to run a full season. If that decreases to 60%, you can probably get away with 3-4 talented WRs with 1-2 development types.

But yeah, if a superstar at any position is available for cheap (ala D-Hop), I'd hope they would grab him anyway. Not like ESB is going to keep a player of that caliber off the field. I'm not saying they didn't try to upgrade the WR spot, but it wasn't the priority others (including me) thought it would be in the offseason.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  [ 344 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply