LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next  [ 314 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 Packers Draft Thread

Offline  Re: 2020 Packers Draft Thread
Posted: April 22, 2020, 6:45 AM Post
if the packers really wanted one of the lbs they would have to trade 30+62 to move up to 18 according to the draft value chart. That should give them their choice or also could net them Justin Jefferson, whom I love.

It would make more sense though to move down, get a Pittman or Mims and add an extra pick.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 22, 2020, 7:27 AM Post
McGinn is reporting that Zack Baun tested positive for a diluted sample due to excessive water intake at the combine. It raises more questions about his size and how much weight he'll be able to carry through an NFL season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 22, 2020, 8:13 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'm seeing WR Brandon Aiyuk, ASU, popping up as the Packers #1 pick on several mocks. Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU, is also showing up here and there.

Obviously, other guys in the mix if we want a WR, including Mims and Higgins.

Justin Jefferson looks like he'll be gone - so would require a trade up.

Pittman seems a bit of a reach at #30. Same with Laviska Shenault.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 22, 2020, 8:37 AM Post
Global Moderator
Aiyuk is high on a lot of boards, including Kiper's. I don't think he'd be a reach at 30, but again, I'd hope they'd explore a minor trade back first even if he's their guy.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 Packers Draft Thread
Posted: April 22, 2020, 8:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
Agreed. If we trade pick #30, I'd wager we are going down instead of going up. As brewcrewdue80 said, we just don't have the capitol to move up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 22, 2020, 8:50 AM Post
I'd be surprised if it's Aiyuk because to this point Gutekunst has shown a very strong preference for receivers with height and Aiyuk is only 5-11 5/8. I don't watch much college football outside of the Big 10 but did see the Arizona State/Oregon game and Aiyuk looked quick and explosive in that game. Shorter receivers never bothered me, lots of people think that they are less of a deep threat but Greg Jennings was not tall and caught 27 passes of 40+ yards from 2007 to 2010 and was an excellent deep threat (just for comparison, Julio Jones has 37 catches of 40+ yards in his 9 year career). But height, it seems like lots of GMs have trouble getting over that one.

It should be noted that Aiyuk has 33 1/2 inch arms which is long for a WR and also posted a 40 inch vertical jump at the combine. So there are definitely some traits there that indicate he will play taller than he actually is.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 22, 2020, 9:13 AM Post
Global Moderator
On thing regarding trading up - it doesn't have to be a huge move.

Example: Let's say the club wants ILB Kenneth Murray and he's available around 26 or 27. But there's a really good chance Baltimore will take him at 28. Well, a jump like that is the kind of move we could make - give up a 4th rounder along with our 1st or something like that to move up 3-4 spots.

It all depends if it's a guy the club loves - and they don't think he'll last.

All that said, I think trading down is a good strategy. Just have to find the right partner(s).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 22, 2020, 9:26 AM Post
JosephC said:
I'd be surprised if it's Aiyuk because to this point Gutekunst has shown a very strong preference for receivers with height and Aiyuk is only 5-11 5/8. I don't watch much college football outside of the Big 10 but did see the Arizona State/Oregon game and Aiyuk looked quick and explosive in that game. Shorter receivers never bothered me, lots of people think that they are less of a deep threat but Greg Jennings was not tall and caught 27 passes of 40+ yards from 2007 to 2010 and was an excellent deep threat (just for comparison, Julio Jones has 37 catches of 40+ yards in his 9 year career). But height, it seems like lots of GMs have trouble getting over that one.

It should be noted that Aiyuk has 33 1/2 inch arms which is long for a WR and also posted a 40 inch vertical jump at the combine. So there are definitely some traits there that indicate he will play taller than he actually is.

Agreed. I doubt that Aiyuk and Reagor are on the Packers' draft board because of this. I could definitely see Mims as their guy at #30, or if they trade back into the mid to high 2nd round, though.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 22, 2020, 9:27 AM Post
No idea how accurate the statement that Kevin Hanson from SI has been the most accurate over the past five years with his mock draft but he has Denzel Mims- WR out of Baylor going to GB at 30.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 22, 2020, 9:39 AM Post
JosephC said:

The mocks I watched made mention to the tall WRs and a need for a smaller slot WR. One mention was Rodgers needs a WR who wins with separation in short routes and the tall guys he has just dont do that. So Aiyuk, Reager, Mims are being that "if I'm Gm" Im filling this position need. What gets me is that they toss Mims or Shenault as 1st round selection when so many see them as 50s or early 3rd round picks. Kinda my feeling lets let a BPA fall further and maybe get an easy choice later. I seen a mock with Cole Kmet to NE at 23. Yeah right.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 22, 2020, 1:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
brewcrewdue80 said:
I seen a mock with Cole Kmet to NE at 23. Yeah right.

Some picks are just weird.

I saw one with the Packers taking Jordyn Brooks, ILB, Texas Tech in the first round. The guy was their 134th ranked player in the draft - and then they had us taking him at 30. They said he was a 'moving up boards'.

Just weird.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 22, 2020, 1:47 PM Post
I saw that same one too. Most places have him in the 3rd. I can't remember where it was thought. Since the whole draft process after the combine is different, it could make for some more surprising picks than normal. no idea, but its safe to say it will be a different draft than what we typically see.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 22, 2020, 2:26 PM Post
Global Moderator
patrickgpe said:
I saw that same one too. Most places have him in the 3rd. I can't remember where it was thought. Since the whole draft process after the combine is different, it could make for some more surprising picks than normal. no idea, but its safe to say it will be a different draft than what we typically see.

I'd seen Brooks listed as a 2nd rounder for GB in other Mocks. But not 1st - for any team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 22, 2020, 3:11 PM Post
A lot of those sites don't update their rankings post-combine; some don't even update them after the season ends. The one that has the simulator is terribly inaccurate and outdated. I pretty much only look at NFL.com; they don't have as many prospects as some other sites do, but they have the most connections to NFL scouts and I think the most accurate rankings and scouting reports.

Outside of NFL.com, I find draftcountdown.com to be the most accurate. No scouting reports, but more names than any other site which gives you an opportunity to research them/internet search/look at college stats. That's my starting point for finding 6th/7th/UDFAs, along with pro day reports.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 22, 2020, 9:46 PM Post
LouisEly said:
A lot of those sites don't update their rankings post-combine; some don't even update them after the season ends. The one that has the simulator is terribly inaccurate and outdated. I pretty much only look at NFL.com; they don't have as many prospects as some other sites do, but they have the most connections to NFL scouts and I think the most accurate rankings and scouting reports.

Outside of NFL.com, I find draftcountdown.com to be the most accurate. No scouting reports, but more names than any other site which gives you an opportunity to research them/internet search/look at college stats. That's my starting point for finding 6th/7th/UDFAs, along with pro day reports.

I was actually referring to mock drafts I watched that were posted in the last 48hours.

In the last 6hours I've seen more consensus that GB will trade up to 27 with Seattle because Seattle is anti 1st rd apparently in order to leap the Ravens and take Murray at 27. Some say GBs 3rd pick for the move. I seen another say the 4th pick plus 1 6 and 1 7. I just can't fathom the risk to miss out on one of these WRs not having a pick til 62. What happens when a guy valued around 36-40 is there vs a WR that's in the 70s? You trade back with a team looking to grab the top 40 and you pick your 70s player maybe(still there?) in the 3rd round and acquire a 4th round pick. Just Yuck. I hate it for the fact I mentioned previously, you're very likely to walk away with Murray and not a single other contributor to the 2020 team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 23, 2020, 5:56 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'd jump Baltimore if it only cost our 4th. Value charts suggest they might need to do a 4th and 5th, which I wouldn't do.

I'm fine staying at 30 if one of the LBs are there, otherwise I really hope they don't make a pick today. A trade back like they did in '17 works just fine for me, though I'd support a more modest trade back to get a 2nd or 3rd.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 23, 2020, 6:38 AM Post
Here's my Packers 5-round mock that is sure to be 100% incorrect:

1.30: WR Denzel Mims, Baylor - Fast target who has polish and playmaking ability. Mims is a mid to upper 1st round talent most years, but gets downgraded due to the extreme depth in this year's WR class. World-class athlete with a RAS score of 9.78. (Alternate - OT Ezra Cleveland, Boise State)

2.62: Justin Madubuike, DT, Texas A&M - At 6-3, 293 pounds, he fits the size profile that the Packers typically look for at the position. Great combination of power and quickness. (Alternate - WR/TE Chase Claypool, Notre Dame)

3.94: Jordyn Brooks, LB, Texas Tech - Brooks (6-0, 240 pounds) has a good blend of athleticism and physicality for the second level, and should be a nice fit with Christian Kirksey in the middle of the Packers' defense. (Alternate - WR Bryan Edwards, South Carolina)

4.136: OT Jack Driscoll, Auburn - Driscoll fits the Packers’ profile as a smart player who is athletic and strong in pass protection. Plus he profiles to have tackle-guard versatility. (Alternate - S Jeremy Chinn, Southern Illinois)

5.175: LB/S Tanner Muse, Clemson - Man without a set position, but perhaps one of the best athletes in the draft. He's the type of guy that Pettine sould find a hybrid role for. (Alternate - WR Quintez Cephus, Wisconsin)

I'm sure there will be a ton of trades, though, so who knows?

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 23, 2020, 7:43 AM Post
jsonline opined

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/n ... 005841001/

not sure where the Brooks love in the 1st is. I do miss McGinn's journal sentinel draft day coverage he was by far more accurate than anyone else covering the team. I'd be happy with Queen, Murray, Jackson, or Cleveland as the others guessed. Aiyuk too. I do think that the 1st 3 will be gone unless the packers move up though.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2020 Packers Draft Thread
Posted: April 23, 2020, 8:14 AM Post
Global Moderator
Jack Driscoll gives me a Mark Tauscher vibe. I've not seen him play, but just that baby-faced, pudgy body style. Seems that Driscoll is more athletic than Tausch was and will be drafted higher. Driscoll will be delighted to have Mark's career, I'm sure.

Side note: I found Tauscher's draft profile page. He was "graded" as an "F" for his combine results. Certainly a good example of a pure football player and not an athlete.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 23, 2020, 8:35 AM Post
I think you are understating Tausch's athleticism. His balance and hand/foot coordination was a sight to see. First saw it during his highschool basketball career. Maybe those are just aspects of athleticism that we understate generally.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next  [ 314 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply