LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  [ 314 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 Packers Draft Thread

Online  Re: 2020 Packers Draft Thread
Posted: April 26, 2020, 1:32 PM Post
Normally even when I don't love a Packer draft, I d have a very "wait and see" attitude about it because I really don't think you can accurately evaluate a draft for 2 to 3 years. In this case I am having a really hard time even doing that because it's just really hard to see how we haven't committed ourselves to some pretty significant regression in 2020.

There are people throwing out the scouting reports of guys like Derrick Henry and George Kittle to compare to draftees like AJ Dillon and Josiah DeGuara. I really don't think people fully have an appreciation for how rare players like Henry and Kittle are and how many "types" of those are drafted over a period of time that never really amount to much of anything.

The best, best case scenario I can really think of in the short-term for this draft is that we get one average startable quality lineman out of the 3 in the 6th, Dillon is a rookie sensation and we have one of the most feared 1-2 punches at RB. That's absolute best-case scenario for 2020, though, and there's a lot of scenarios that fall short of that.

Obviously, this draft will probably be remembered by what Love amounts to, and if he turns out to be a future star QB no one will really care about the rest of it and if he turns into DeShone Kizer it will likely cost Gute his career. I don't have a problem dreaming on Love but I think people have had their expectations for our QB developments blown out of proportion because of the successes of Favre and Rodgers. It just doesn't always work out that way. In fact, the odds are that it probably will not.

We will see I suppose. It'll have to be revisted in a couple years, but yeah, right now it feels like Justin Harrell all rolled up into one draft.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Packers Draft Thread
Posted: April 26, 2020, 1:43 PM Post
Looking back at the Dillon pick, I didn’t realize that both Jones and Williams are in the final year of their contracts. I imagine that the drafting of Dillon is because Gute doesn’t see the Packers being able to bring both back. And if they are able to do so, they will have a loaded backfield where Jones might see a little more time as a receiver. Negating the need to draft a wide receiver. Maybe even Jones is dangled as a trade piece for an early round draft pick this offseason. There are a lot of different routes they could go.

It’ll be interesting to see how the rest of the offseason plays out.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 26, 2020, 2:01 PM Post
Those players get profiled into players types just like all players do. They get compared. The guys we drafted may not end up being Kittle and Henry but those are the types they drafted and I’m sure those are the types they hope these players to be. Just like any other draft. It just hasn’t fit a lot of fans ideas of where this team should head. Fine.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 26, 2020, 2:18 PM Post
LouisEly said:
A few thoughts after digesting for a day or two.

WR:
It's very possible that they looked at the WRs who were left at the end of the 3rd round and felt like they weren't any better than the ones that they already had. If that was the case, then why draft a player at a position if you feel like they aren't any better than the ones you have? Once they got to the end of the 5th round, that's where the ones they have were drafted (MVS - 5th, ESB - 6th), so they probably weren't any better.

Someone on another board postulated that with all of the WRs who were drafted, will there be high priced veterans who will be cut? There may be dominoes yet to fall that may lead to another veteran being signed as a FA. Entirely possible they are not done acquiring NFL-caliber WRs, and if so, then the joke's on us.

OL:
Interesting that Stepaniak was announced as a tackle. He's athletic and some scouting reports said he looked like a tackle playing guard. Possible they are looking at him as a RT. They also have Turner, and Madison played RT at WSU. They have some options to look at behind Wagner.

The 6th round picks likely signal they let Linsley walk after this year. They'll need his cap room to resign Bakh and Clark. Also likely signals end of the road for Taylor; his $4.1M cap savings could be used to acquire another player (possibly a released WR mentioned above). Turner may be on his last year with the team too, as after this year they can recoup $5.8M of cap space for each of Turner's remaining two years by releasing him.

If you look at what they are getting paid this year, the cap space for Bakh ($14M) plus Linsley ($10.5M) plus Taylor ($5.5M) plus Clark ($7M) is about what they will need to resign Bakh and Clark (~$37M).

On Linsley, Jenkins was a center moved over to guard. Just a thought on the guys drafted or with whats on the backup list, one can move to LG vs a center role.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 26, 2020, 2:28 PM Post
Yount19 said:
Packers also have this guy on their roster.. was one of the best CFL receivers and is probably better than any of the 4th round and later WR that we could have drafted..
Reggie Begelton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKVliYSkMEo

I know nothing on rules in CFL. First take watching this is man coverage on the line to be jammed doesnt exist. It wad almost like watching the probowls of the past zone coverage. RBegs shows strong hands and winner to catch 50-50s. Other than that I cant really say theres any thing else to be jubilant on. The video mix isnt that great for route indicating speed, burst, separation. How would he do getting jammed at line of scrimmage? So while cool video, it is lesser competition and maybe rules that help in his favor.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 26, 2020, 2:58 PM Post
Having a couple days to digest this draft class. Heres my thoughts. Ill give 4guys of 9 likely to play meaningful football on the field for GB. Love being one of them hopefully. So Dillon i like as 3rd down and short thumper that we didn't display well last season. Deguara is going to fill Vitale's role with better pass catching skills and open yhe playbook more. Hope he can block. After that, I dont like the LB pick. The OL picks I will go Runyan to make an impact. The last DL pick never know til hes playing or dropped.
Its a draft with 1 player (Dillon) who may see more than 4starts (Jones injury) this season and the rest backup benchwarmers if they even make the team. I'm not even going to anoint Love the backup starter to Rodgers for this season.
Thats nearly my best hope out of this class. The DL may make it rosier but not for some time.

Based on what positions were drafted i really expect a Large role for Sterberger and Deguara motion misdirection plays. Ervin motion misdirection with Jones in backfield. Deguara and Dillon short yardage plow plays. No deep threats going to make the offense boring. No chance over the 49ers Defense (much less offense)but the team may just get to play them in the playoffs. I have no outlook Rodgers will see the SB in a Green Bay uniform again.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 26, 2020, 3:57 PM Post
LouisEly said:

WR:
It's very possible that they looked at the WRs who were left at the end of the 3rd round and felt like they weren't any better than the ones that they already had.

Turns out, that is exactly the case:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/nfl-draft-2020-packers/2020/4/26/21237485/packers-gm-brian-gutekunst-2020-nfl-draft-wr-group-evaluation-explains-why-no-picks

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 26, 2020, 5:43 PM Post
LouisEly said:
LouisEly said:

WR:
It's very possible that they looked at the WRs who were left at the end of the 3rd round and felt like they weren't any better than the ones that they already had.

Turns out, that is exactly the case:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/nfl-draft-2020-packers/2020/4/26/21237485/packers-gm-brian-gutekunst-2020-nfl-draft-wr-group-evaluation-explains-why-no-picks

That makes plenty of sense to me. But it also means they kinda need to be aggressive in pursuing upgrades between now and at least the trade deadline. They'll have 3 more comp picks next year, so they have the ammo to get a Sanders type player. Or an OJ Howard.

Just drafting a WR'er because we needed a #2 WR'er doesn't make sense....BUT, it still doesn't change the fact that they do still have that need. And I don't really think Funchess changes that. So again, I'm perfectly fine with them getting Love and the fact that LaFleur thought so highly of him that he wanted to move up...and getting another back...and a move TE(not sur why people are saying he's a FB unless the Packers have said that and I haven't seen it). But I think another reasons fans are so upset is they're used to watching guys like Randy Moss, Marshawn Lynch, Tony Gonzalez getting traded before the season and the Packers not willing to pony up enough to make that deal. I'm hoping if a player like that comes available, the Packers are willing to add them.

Who knows, maybe OBJ wears out his welcome in Cleveland. More likely someone like Tyrell Williams is available after the Raiders went HEAVY on WR'ers starting with Ruggs or another team who added WR'ers ends up moving on from a veteran WR'er. But the Packers definitely still need to try and add someone who can help Rodgers now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 26, 2020, 10:38 PM Post
LaFleur is moving the offense to a more 2018 Tennessee Titan approach. Short passes and a clock eating, pound the ball style. The Dillon pick explained, plus no need to draft a WR to be a deep down field threat, we already have one, Adams. The Love pick? LaFleur wants to try another Marcus Mariota type in his system, he thinks he can still make it work.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 26, 2020, 10:51 PM Post
Guess I've never really looked at the Tennessee Titans as an organization that anyone would want to duplicate. Particularly from a season where they were offensively mediocre by just about any measurement.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2020, 12:29 AM Post
Since I live in the Nashville TV viewing area. I get a steady dose of Titan news year round. No issues with that type of offensive approach, what I do find worrisome is that the Titans didn't start that deep run in last years AFC playoffs until they benched Marioto in week 7 and went with Ryan Tannehill. It hints that a Marioto or Love style QB is not necessary in order for the scheme to be effective. And yes, I'm thinking Love's ceiling is Marcus Mariota, not Mahomes.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2020, 5:57 AM Post
Why would Love be compared to a running QB? He wasn’t that in college. Rarely did he move the chains with his legs.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2020, 10:20 AM Post
The one thing that often is forgotten in this... Rogers practiced in the Packers system for three years before he was expected to play. If he had to play immediately in 2015, he could have done much, much worse. He might have flopped for two or three years and have been shipped out of Green Bay. Remember, the Packers were terrible in 2015 already (4-12) with Favre and only 8-8 the next year. No playoffs. Both records probably would have been worse with Rogers. That extra time gave him time to learn the nuances of the offense and allowed him to get better behind closed doors.

I think the Packers see this maturation process of Rogers as the blueprint for Love. Way too often players are pushed into the spotlight too quickly at the QB position on bad teams, and it proves disastrous. It's the toughest position in all of sports.

Do the they need Love now? Many say no. Yet, the Packer backup QBs have been beyond terrible in the last decade. I'm not sure why this had to be. Why we couldn't pick up a serviceable aged veteran to win a game as a backup is troublesome. Perhaps this draft pick will partly cover our butt in case of injury from our star over the next few years, as well, even though Love likely is closer to the failures of the last decade than a serviceable replacement now.

Could they have picked a player that covered a need better? Of course. But if the Pack feels Love is the guy, they are going to give him all the opportunity they can to put him in a great position to eventually take the reigns after Rodgers is done.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2020, 10:24 AM Post
We drafted that running back in the 2nd round and now everyone thinks we have this two-headed monster and are going to resort to this ridiculous run heavy offense. Problem is Aaron Jones is a FA after this year...is he not? Almost seems more likely they are just prepping for the departure of Aaron Jones...not some huge transition to a run offense.

Because of course I think the odds we give big money to Aaron Jones near zero percent.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2020, 10:38 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
We drafted that running back in the 2nd round and now everyone thinks we have this two-headed monster and are going to resort to this ridiculous run heavy offense. Problem is Aaron Jones is a FA after this year...is he not? Almost seems more likely they are just prepping for the departure of Aaron Jones...not some huge transition to a run offense.

Because of course I think the odds we give big money to Aaron Jones near zero percent.

Both Jones AND Jamal Williams are free agents after the season. I think it's likelier the Packers re-sign Jones than Williams (and are more likely to sign Jones than letting both players walk).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2020, 11:15 AM Post
Peter King reporting that the Packers tried to move up in the early/mid 2nd round to get a WR, but the ones they were targeting were picked before they could strike a deal.

Sounds like they had Love ranked in at least their top 15, possibly top 10, overall and wanted a WR but only one who had a 1st round grade and would be a real difference-maker right away.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2020, 11:21 AM Post
For those who don't think the offense is changing, lots of hints in the read.
https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-pac ... gers-hands

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2020, 2:10 PM Post
My question is, if they're moving more to a run heavy type of offense, then why are they placing such a high value on a QB? Plus, if you're going more run heavy, don't you need a good defense? Which they did nothing to address. The pieces just don't add up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2020, 2:22 PM Post
Do you want a lousy QB in any situation? It usually helps to have that position be good.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2020, 2:35 PM Post
bjkrautk said:
MrTPlush said:

Both Jones AND Jamal Williams are free agents after the season. I think it's likelier the Packers re-sign Jones than Williams (and are more likely to sign Jones than letting both players walk).

Thinking ahead who would GB Franchise tag after this season? Jones 1?

Dillon RB1/Deguera RB2 next season not signing either? Glad Gute and MLF have that potential hole filled.

LouisEly said:
Peter King reporting that the Packers tried to move up in the early/mid 2nd round to get a WR, but the ones they were targeting were picked before they could strike a deal.

Sounds like they had Love ranked in at least their top 15, possibly top 10, overall and wanted a WR but only one who had a 1st round grade and would be a real difference-maker right away.

So trading up in the 1st round cost the team the resources to. Trade up in the 2nd round and get the WR they were comfortable with. I wonder, 5th rd not enough, 3rd round too much. Denzel Mims went 3picks before GB's pick, Van Jefferson 5, then Claypool 13, KJ Hamler 16, Kmet 19, and Shenault 20.

3 picks is next to nothing same as 5 so they had no inkling on pairing a 6th with another 6th or just the 5th. So Ive gotta go that they wanted nothing to do with Mims or Van Jefferson. The 13picks or higher then must be the last of the guys they were targeting and theyd have to use the 3rd round pick to begin moving that far up.
So that said a failure they moved to phase 2, improving on short yardage with Dillon and Deguara which still such a reach on for 3rd round. I have to say that Gute has his guys predetermined vs flexibility roster fill based on moves of last season and this year in the draft. He wasnt going to walk away without Savage, not without Dillon, and not without Deguara. And I assume not without Love once he fell below 22. Maybe his draft board was Aiyuk, Jefferson, or Reagor as 1st pick and Love was must get if they werent there.

That is the only take I can have out of this class. We ought to do better on 2nd or 3rd and 2yards or less to go. 4th down and 1 situations. Theyve got the added lineman for depth or running a 6th man for the line (Runyan) Gute is going to the flea market with his draft capitol and spending Big Box prices on what he buys.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  [ 314 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply