LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 150 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 Miscellaneous NFL News

Offline  Re: 2020 Miscellaneous NFL News
Posted: May 22, 2020, 12:14 PM Post
stoutdude04 said:
PinaMadness said:
So hey, how about this Earl Thomas story, huh????

Yea, it's pretty funny. I mean, who of us hasnt tried the ol Eiffel Tower with our brother?!?! (Me).

The reporting of this was irresponsible. It was described as an orgy. Can't have an orgy with only three people. I have to draw the line. Now, a threesome with your brother, I would accept, "brogy."

Posted: May 22, 2020, 6:45 PM Post
The article I read said the brothers were in separate rooms.

Posted: June 06, 2020, 3:33 PM Post
So during this pandemic I've been watching Youtube videos of full NFL playoff games going all the way back to 1979. I'm going through 1982 right now and watching alot of Redskin games. It's just weird seeing Mark Murphy in a football uniform, and he was their leading tackler that year. Had an interception in the Super Bowl too.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Posted: June 08, 2020, 5:02 PM Post
All players to kneel for the national anthem. I love football, but I love the United States of America more. I am out.

Posted: June 08, 2020, 6:17 PM Post
Mr Southpaw said:
All players to kneel for the national anthem. I love football, but I love the United States of America more. I am out.

I am confused. Is this actually happening? Dont see it reported anywhere.

Posted: June 09, 2020, 7:18 AM Post
jjfanec said:
Mr Southpaw said:

I am confused. Is this actually happening? Dont see it reported anywhere.

No ... it isn't. The NFL announced that they would no longer punish players for kneeling. That's it.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Posted: June 09, 2020, 8:31 AM Post
But I thought the new rule of a couple years ago said that there was no punishment for kneeling, but that they had to stay in the locker rooms to do it and couldn't come out.

But I guess when you've got major politicians doing it, suddenly it's not really something which needs to be hidden anymore.

Posted: June 09, 2020, 1:24 PM Post
Mr Southpaw said:

Yea, not sure where you get the "all players" part. Also, you may need to take a pass on all sports because I'm pretty sure we'll see athletes kneeling in the NBA, MLB, Olympic team, etc. Not saying I agree or disagree with your position, just pointing out this is going to be really common when sports resume again.

Posted: June 09, 2020, 3:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
NFL players weren't required to be on the field for the anthem before 2009. Maybe go back to that.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Posted: June 09, 2020, 7:31 PM Post
The National Anthem never needed to be a part of the sports world.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Posted: June 10, 2020, 5:41 AM Post
Mr Southpaw said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... take-part/

Posted: June 10, 2020, 7:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
I've seen plenty of people at Packer games boo and point at the players kneeling. If you were looking at the flag you wouldn't see them, and if you are pointing your hand then it isn't over your heart where it should be. Also there are still so many people that don't take off their hats. Why is it that the players have to follow "the rules" but no one else? Are cameramen exempt? They are walking around doing their job.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Posted: June 10, 2020, 8:23 AM Post
Mr Southpaw said:

I fully support any means of peaceful protest and kneeling during the national anthem is something that I personally have no problem with.

However, it's interesting how the media moans and groans about this politician being divisive and this statement or action being divisive, while there is no question that people kneeling during the anthem is purely a symbolic gesture and it is incredibly divisive. I don't know how it can be viewed any other way.

Agree or not, there are a huge amount of people, maybe even a majority of Americans, that listen to the National Anthem and look at the flag and the first thing they think about are people who sacrificed their lives in conflicts like the Civil War and World War II. Those feeling are certainly not limited to the political left or the political right.

Again, I personally have no problem with any peaceful means of protest. But I do have to question why people of these means would participate in something that is so clearly divisive in a symbolic gesture that really doesn't accomplish anything? If these high-profile individuals are motivated to make a meaningful contribution and promote real change, I think financial support for organizations like the UNCF is a far more productive action.

Posted: June 10, 2020, 8:32 AM Post
I would like to weigh in on the kneeling issue but fear it might become too political for this board. I'm assuming no leeway is going to be granted on this issue?

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Posted: June 10, 2020, 8:47 AM Post
Global Moderator
young guns said:
I would like to weigh in on the kneeling issue but fear it might become too political for this board. I'm assuming no leeway is going to be granted on this issue?

You should tread lightly. Plenty of places on the internet to get into the nuts and bolts of this topic.

Posted: June 10, 2020, 9:48 AM Post
homer said:
young guns said:

You should tread lightly. Plenty of places on the internet to get into the nuts and bolts of this topic.

I'll pass then. I only wanted to talk about it here because it was already brought up here.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Online  Re: 2020 Miscellaneous NFL News
Posted: June 10, 2020, 9:50 AM Post
Global Moderator
This topic is easier to discuss without getting into the politics of it because this is not a red/blue issue persay which can get heated quickly in the current environment. But as with most topics nowadays, far too many people want to make it that way for reasons of political clout. I personally have no issue with people kneeling. 1st amendment right, exercised peacefully. When I raised my hand and put a flag on my shoulder, I meant the words I recited and tried to support that during my whole military career. I personally could care less about the national anthem being played at sporting events outside of the Olympics or any other National team event. It is completely unnecessary to be played during an entertainment event. I dont want it before a movie, a concert or anything similar. I feel it truly cheapens the experience and meaning of what the flag represents and how it should be used. That is my personal opinion and I respect the opinions of others for how they view it. No need to get worked up over it honestly.

Posted: June 10, 2020, 1:25 PM Post
homer said:
I've seen plenty of people at Packer games boo and point at the players kneeling. If you were looking at the flag you wouldn't see them, and if you are pointing your hand then it isn't over your heart where it should be. Also there are still so many people that don't take off their hats. Why is it that the players have to follow "the rules" but no one else? Are cameramen exempt? They are walking around doing their job.

That behavior wouldn't be considered to be any different/ better than players kneeling.

Posted: June 10, 2020, 1:36 PM Post
JosephC said:
Mr Southpaw said:

I fully support any means of peaceful protest and kneeling during the national anthem is something that I personally have no problem with.

However, it's interesting how the media moans and groans about this politician being divisive and this statement or action being divisive, while there is no question that people kneeling during the anthem is purely a symbolic gesture and it is incredibly divisive. I don't know how it can be viewed any other way.

Agree or not, there are a huge amount of people, maybe even a majority of Americans, that listen to the National Anthem and look at the flag and the first thing they think about are people who sacrificed their lives in conflicts like the Civil War and World War II. Those feeling are certainly not limited to the political left or the political right.

Again, I personally have no problem with any peaceful means of protest. But I do have to question why people of these means would participate in something that is so clearly divisive in a symbolic gesture that really doesn't accomplish anything? If these high-profile individuals are motivated to make a meaningful contribution and promote real change, I think financial support for organizations like the UNCF is a far more productive action.

This is a great point. We have Twitter, Instagram, ESPN... athletes have 100 ways to make their point and get their message out loud and clear. If we really are all trying to come together, this is an unnecessary divisive act.

Also, there's always a lot of comments about how it's fine because they have the right to do it. One thing has nothing to do with the other. There's all kinds of things that people have the right to do, but is frowned upon by most people. Can I cough in the middle of a grocery store without covering my mouth? If my 18 year old meets a girl gets married in a week, do I just say "you have the right" and leave it at that.

Best example, the confederate flag. To most black people, and a whole lot of white people they see it as a nod to racism. White people down south? They see it as southern pride, and some wave it just to stir the pot.. And some, of course, are racist. But either way, they have the right to raise that flag in their yard, or display it in their truck. Doesn't mean you have to agree they should.

That's where we are with the NFL, and other sports. A lot of people will say they won't watch. For some it's just talk, they'll watch- but some won't. Ratings will tell the story. Regardless, it would be ideal if players used other forms of messaging.

Posted: June 10, 2020, 1:41 PM Post
Global Moderator
I think part of the clash comes with a generational view of sporting events. I think older generations (boomers) see sporting events (Olympics and beyond) more as a nationalistic/patriotic mentality. I'm a genX and tend to feel that way a bit more than not. I prefer to have the national anthem at the events. I remove my cap, hand over my heart and sing the words. I get where some people don't/won't. And I certainly see a different level of "entertainment" value than a movie or concert. (Though I won't complain if you don't agree. [smile] ) It would seem that the attitude of patriotism in sports is diminishing with each generation. I suppose the amount of money in it has driven it more to a commercial business and less a pastime.

The only problem I had with the players kneeling was that they were representing their team and not themselves at that time (i.e. put on the uniform and you are working). I really appreciated it when teams started doing a uniform response - unity as a team. And I've heard something similar lately with the Packers. Teams raise awareness to prostate cancer, breast cancer, etc.. I think a uniform response to BLM is wise too. But I've never been a fan of the individualistic attitude that some players have, whether an individual kneeling or signing a ball with a hidden sharpie when scoring a TD at a time you are to be working as a team. (And no, I'm not equating the reason/cause between Kapernick and Owens by my examples).

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 150 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply