LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 37 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Green Bay Draft: What non-traditional 1st round pick would you accept?

Offline  Re: Green Bay Draft: What non-traditional 1st round pick would you accept?

Posted: April 16, 2020, 4:28 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
LouisEly said:

The Packers ran a 4-3 in 2001 when they drafted Reynolds - he wasn't an OLB.

To be fair, Reynolds wasn't a DE either.

Yeah, I think that was the bigger problem with Reynolds. Forced into a 4-3 DE role, and not sized for it at all.

For a 4-3, there's a strong-side DE who is a 5/6 technique who usually is larger (think Vonnie Holliday), and there is a weak-side DE who usually is a 7-technique who usually is smaller (think Robert Quinn, who is listed at 6'4", 257, or Chandler Jones, who is 6'5", 265, or Danielle Hunter, who is 6'5", 255).

He's not small for the weak-side 7-technique DE, which is what he was drafted for.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Green Bay Draft: What non-traditional 1st round pick would you accept?

Posted: April 17, 2020, 2:31 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
nodakfan17 said:
LouisEly said:
To answer the original question, quarterback.

They've done it before, and it worked out really well.

I agree with the premise that ‘GMs shouldn’t pass on a Rodgers because they have a Favre,’ but this time around, the QB isn’t waffling on retirement every year. If a guy who the Packers felt had franchise QB potential falls to 30, I hope they trade back and acquire surplus value for the pick. But if they can’t trade back? I’d take him.

Favre wasn't really waffling when they drafted Rodgers. He was waffling when they drafted Brohm and Flynn.

Favre had already retired from the Packers before they even drafted Brohm or Flynn. He waffled after Rodgers' rookie season in 2005, then again after the 2006 season before finally retiring after 2007.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Green Bay Draft: What non-traditional 1st round pick would you accept?

Posted: April 17, 2020, 6:27 AM Post
Global Moderator
LouisEly said:
PeaveyFury said:
Ron Robinson's Beard said:

To be fair, Reynolds wasn't a DE either.

Yeah, I think that was the bigger problem with Reynolds. Forced into a 4-3 DE role, and not sized for it at all.

For a 4-3, there's a strong-side DE who is a 5/6 technique who usually is larger (think Vonnie Holliday), and there is a weak-side DE who usually is a 7-technique who usually is smaller (think Robert Quinn, who is listed at 6'4", 257, or Chandler Jones, who is 6'5", 265, or Danielle Hunter, who is 6'5", 255).

He's not small for the weak-side 7-technique DE, which is what he was drafted for.

Problem was, they already had that guy on the roster in Kabeer. What they actually needed was the 5/6 guy to replace Vonnie Holliday, who left after the 2002 season. Add in an Aaron Kampman in the 02 draft, and Reynolds was swept away by a field of more productive 260 pounders.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 17, 2020, 7:11 AM Post
I'm assuming by traditional you mean; ILB, WR, or OT?

I obviously have had more time to review some mock drafts and simulations and have seem quite regularly that the ones in those positions I like are gone.
so i'd accept Baun, Epenesa, Ruiz, Taylor, AJ Terrell, or Shane Lemiuex - they should all be available at 30 or taken just before the packers pick.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 17, 2020, 12:19 PM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
CheezWizHed said:
Favre wasn't really waffling when they drafted Rodgers. He was waffling when they drafted Brohm and Flynn.

Favre had already retired from the Packers before they even drafted Brohm or Flynn. He waffled after Rodgers' rookie season in 2005, then again after the 2006 season before finally retiring after 2007.

He never retired after the 2007 season. He had talked about it from 2006-2007, but it was normally right after the previous season ended and he wanted to play after a month or two off.

In the offseason of 2008, He talked about it pretty seriously... on and off and on and off. After the 2008 draft, where they drafted 2 backup QBs to Rodgers, he proclaimed he still wanted to play. So they traded him to the Jets.

He didn't retire until 2010.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Green Bay Draft: What non-traditional 1st round pick would you accept?

Posted: April 17, 2020, 12:59 PM Post
Global Moderator
CheezWizHed said:
adambr2 said:
CheezWizHed said:

He never retired after the 2007 season. He had talked about it from 2006-2007, but it was normally right after the previous season ended and he wanted to play after a month or two off.

In the offseason of 2008, He talked about it pretty seriously... on and off and on and off. After the 2008 draft, where they drafted 2 backup QBs to Rodgers, he proclaimed he still wanted to play. So they traded him to the Jets.

He didn't retire until 2010.

Favre held the press conference below to announce his retirement on March 6, 2008 (which IS right after the 2007 season):

https://www.packers.com/video/brett-fav ... ce-2438218

The Packers understandably drafted two QBs to develop behind Rodgers in the 2008 draft ~7 weeks later.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 19, 2020, 2:05 PM Post
Global Moderator
Thanks, but I understand how the 2007 season and 2008 offseason are related...

And he obviously didn't actually retire. And that was my point... he was waffling that year pretty seriously - the year they drafted Brohm & Flynn. When they drafted Rodgers, he talked about it but wasn't close to seriously considering it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 19, 2020, 2:42 PM Post
Global Moderator
CheezWizHed said:
Thanks, but I understand how the 2007 season and 2008 offseason are related...

And he obviously didn't actually retire. And that was my point... he was waffling that year pretty seriously - the year they drafted Brohm & Flynn. When they drafted Rodgers, he talked about it but wasn't close to seriously considering it.

My point is, at the point they drafted Brohm and Flynn, he HAD 'retired.' He wasn't still debating it, he had had a press conference saying he was done. So it was significantly different than the numerous previous offseasons where he talked about it a lot.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 19, 2020, 5:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
We are in agreement with the difference in his actions that year and when Rodgers was drafted. That was my point to adambr2 above.

But still, he didn't file the paperwork to make his retirement official. He went to the Jets in early August and never missed a game. Wasn't much of a retirement.

His announcement and subsequent retraction AFTER the draft was what actually swayed my opinion to move on. He has been talking about it for a couple years and I was fine letting him play out. But that one was just too much for me. Felt like he was just jerking the team around (forcing them to have 4 QBs). At that point, I was in the boat for getting rid of him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 19, 2020, 5:43 PM Post
adambr2 said:

Speculation about Favre’s retirement started as early as 2002 when he told Peter King that he wished he could be back home on his mower.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 20, 2020, 9:54 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'm speculating on my retirement too, but I'm still 20 years away. [wink]

We really need some new sports news... [ohwell] [laughing] [laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 20, 2020, 10:05 AM Post
Global Moderator
CheezWizHed said:
We really need some new sports news... [ohwell] [laughing] [laughing]

Yeah, very much so. The draft really couldn't come at a better time....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 20, 2020, 11:01 AM Post
Favre waited until after the draft as I recall for several seasons to announce he was returning. After his dad died in 2003, it was an annual thing that he didn't divulge his plans until well after the previous season. It was assumed by many he would retire after the 2005 season when they went 4-12 and Sherman was fired. All the speculation was that the finale that year against the Seahawks would be his final game.

I remember being upset because Drew Brees was a FA that year and would have fit nicely in as his replacement had Favre retired early in the offseason as it didn't appear at the time that Rodgers was ready based on what he showed in preseason.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2020, 5:54 AM Post
Jordan Love

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2020, 6:16 AM Post
I recall being disappointed in 2003 and 2004 because the Packers narrowly missed out on Rex Grossman and J.P Losman. Both went #22 overall in their respective respective classes. However, Rodgers has made it clear he intends to play until he’s 40. I would be shocked if they took a QB at 30 unless it’s a screaming value like Rodgers was in 2005.

Safety would also surprise me, given the apparent stability of the Amos / Savage tandem. It’d have to be a guy they thought would see the field a lot (maybe in a hybrid S/LB role?).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2020, 8:22 AM Post
Global Moderator
But even with Rodgers, a good backup is necessary. Most QBs that come at the end of the 1st probably need to sit one year anyway (I don't think Rodgers would've done well Year 1). So ideally, we are probably 1 year from "perfect" timing, but if someone falls to us that we really like, we shouldn't pass on them either.

I'd be disappointed with a RB/FB, TE, C/G, or Safety (do I have to add P/K/LS too?) in the first round. If we pick a CB, DL, OLB, or QB, I'd look closer. Obviously, the biggest needs are WR, OT, and MLB.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2020, 8:38 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
But even with Rodgers, a good backup is necessary.

No doubt. I’d be fine with Fromm, Eason, or Hurts in the 3rd. I just think there are bigger roster needs to address in the first two rounds in order for the Packers to win a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 37 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply