LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 271 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 NFL Draft Rounds 2,3 Discussion

Author Message
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 24, 2020, 9:59 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 10188
No discussion so far that these guys all seem perfect for what we heard the LaFleur offense would look like. A Henry-type RB, sound blocking TE, etc. Maybe this is a draft to shift from a McCarthy/LaFleur hybrid offense to a LaFleur/Shanahan style offense.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 24, 2020, 10:00 PM Post
Posts: 22383
I can wrap my head around why they took Love but these last two are just baffling to me to take a complementary running back and H-back TE. It's like they are building their offense completely toward a run heavy offense in an era when passing has never been so important.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 24, 2020, 10:04 PM Post
Posts: 5254
Minnesota just traded and has 13 picks still remaining! 3 for 1 with NO. This is very interesting as the amount of guys from this draft class could be their way to scout this class better vs what you knew up to the Combine. Their first 4 picks already seem to make this a great draft for them.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 24, 2020, 10:05 PM Post
Posts: 22383
PeaveyFury said:
No discussion so far that these guys all seem perfect for what we heard the LaFleur offense would look like. A Henry-type RB, sound blocking TE, etc. Maybe this is a draft to shift from a McCarthy/LaFleur hybrid offense to a LaFleur/Shanahan style offense.


Blocking speciality TEs are a dime a dozen, you certainly don't reach for one in the 3rd round.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 24, 2020, 10:06 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2545
adambr2 said:
I can wrap my head around why they took Love but these last two are just baffling to me to take a complementary running back and H-back TE. It's like they are building their offense completely toward a run heavy offense in an era when passing has never been so important.


This doesn't bother me in the least. What bothers me is drafting guys 2-4 rounds before they are projected to be picked. I was sad they gave up a 4th round pick yesterday but if they were just going to draft a boderline 6th/7th/UDFA type player anyway then who cares?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 24, 2020, 10:15 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 15334
Location: Milwaukee, WI
I can’t remember the last time I’ve ever been this intrigued into what GB is planning on doing and shifting to. That’s my takeaway. I’m locked in and excited to see where all this goes (good or bad).

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 24, 2020, 10:25 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1099
No way he is there when we pick, but I like Gandy-Golden. Would have snagged him in the 3rd.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 24, 2020, 10:33 PM Post
Posts: 22383
I'm trying to find the upside in this. I just don't see it.

Unless I actually end up being right about Rodgers traded eventually, the fact that he said he wants to play until his 40s makes it unlikely that Love sees the field before his 4th year. So there will be rookie contract value with Love. It's quite possible the whole thing becomes a distraction and Love is traded anyway.

We didn't address either O-line nor receiver before Day 3. We're already worse on the line without Bulaga and we didn't adequately replace him. We spent how many months talking about needing to add targets for Rodgers and he will have the same guys to throw to in 2020. We managed to somehow ignore every single major need on offense.

What is the upside with Dillon? Maybe, if we're lucky, he becomes as good as Aaron Jones and replaces his production? That's unlikely, and that doesn't make us any better on offense than we are now.

DeGuara is nothing. He's an H back. This isn't a Rob Gronkowski upside pick. We took an H back and special teams TE in the 3rd round.

Sorry, I really do want to like this, but I have to look at this impartially. Where is the intrigue and upside? It's Love, and that's about it. The only way this draft isn't a disaster is if Love turns out to be a Pro Bowl QB, and even if that happens, it won't be for years.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 24, 2020, 11:48 PM Post
Posts: 5392
adambr2 said:
I'm trying to find the upside in this. I just don't see it.

Unless I actually end up being right about Rodgers traded eventually, the fact that he said he wants to play until his 40s makes it unlikely that Love sees the field before his 4th year. So there will be rookie contract value with Love. It's quite possible the whole thing becomes a distraction and Love is traded anyway.

We didn't address either O-line nor receiver before Day 3. We're already worse on the line without Bulaga and we didn't adequately replace him. We spent how many months talking about needing to add targets for Rodgers and he will have the same guys to throw to in 2020. We managed to somehow ignore every single major need on offense.

What is the upside with Dillon? Maybe, if we're lucky, he becomes as good as Aaron Jones and replaces his production? That's unlikely, and that doesn't make us any better on offense than we are now.

DeGuara is nothing. He's an H back. This isn't a Rob Gronkowski upside pick. We took an H back and special teams TE in the 3rd round.


Sorry, I really do want to like this, but I have to look at this impartially. Where is the intrigue and upside? It's Love, and that's about it. The only way this draft isn't a disaster is if Love turns out to be a Pro Bowl QB, and even if that happens, it won't be for years.



Read his draft profile...and then read George Kittles.

Now of course I'd never suggest he's going to be Kittle...but he's "nothing?"

My god...I've never seen this type of hysteria around a draft.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 24, 2020, 11:50 PM Post
Posts: 5392
adambr2 said:
I can wrap my head around why they took Love but these last two are just baffling to me to take a complementary running back and H-back TE. It's like they are building their offense completely toward a run heavy offense in an era when passing has never been so important.


Did you not see what happened last season? The Ravens set the NFL record for rushing yards and the 49'ers...who were up 10 late in the 4th against the Chiefs threw the ball about 9 times against us.

Now if you want to ignore the Ravens because Jackson is an outlier, fine, but we're literally building the same type of offense as the 49'ers. And people are upset because we got an athletic move TE and a big back?

Aaron Jones is a really nice back. I wouldn't count on him being healthy for all 16 games again and even if he is, we JUST saw the best team in the NFC dominate us by having multiple RB's available to them and using them in multiple different roles.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 25, 2020, 12:05 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 3332
So looking at immediate need & who was available (& admittedly knowing nothing about any of these guys) we "should have" drafted...

#30: Higgins/Pittman WR (went #33/34)
#62: Gay/Wilson ILB (went #63/65)
#94: Niang/Peart OT (went #96/99) or Keene/Trautman TE (went #101/105)

How would people feel about those picks & still having our fourth?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 25, 2020, 6:35 AM Post
Posts: 22383
HiAndTight said:
adambr2 said:
I can wrap my head around why they took Love but these last two are just baffling to me to take a complementary running back and H-back TE. It's like they are building their offense completely toward a run heavy offense in an era when passing has never been so important.


Did you not see what happened last season? The Ravens set the NFL record for rushing yards and the 49'ers...who were up 10 late in the 4th against the Chiefs threw the ball about 9 times against us.

Now if you want to ignore the Ravens because Jackson is an outlier, fine, but we're literally building the same type of offense as the 49'ers. And people are upset because we got an athletic move TE and a big back?

Aaron Jones is a really nice back. I wouldn't count on him being healthy for all 16 games again and even if he is, we JUST saw the best team in the NFC dominate us by having multiple RB's available to them and using them in multiple different roles.


Can we also have the dominant lines on both sides that the 49ers have, with numerous early round investments? Because that's the only way we're riding that formula to the Super Bowl. It's not impossible in this era to build a run first Super Bowl winner, but almost all those successes have a dominant defense to complement it that we don't have.

And let's not pretend the 49ers have been actively and purposefully building a run first team. They have been investing numerous high picks in receivers in recent years, traded for Garrapolo, traded for Emmanuel Sanders ....they are very actively trying to build a strong passing attack. They ran all over us in the NFC championship because it fit their strength and our weakness, nothing more. It's not like they've just gone philosophically run heavy.

Also, the Packers' offensive line has been built around protecting Aaron Rodgers. They're built for pass blocking. They're not terrible at run blocking, but it isn't built to dominate in opening up the running lanes that the 49ers line does. We also already have the Aaron Jones complementary back that you're describing already on our roster, it didn't require an additional investment of a 2nd round pick. The 49ers plugged in two UDFAs in those running back roles and had success because their offensive line is that good in run blocking. I don't know how burning a 2nd round pick on Dillon compares to their situation.

And to mention George Kittle with LaGuara.....I'll just say George Kittle is an exception, and LaGuara isn't the athletic freak that Kittle is. The chances of Josiah LaGuara turning out to be half the player that George Kittle is are so minuscule I don't even know how it's worth mentioning. He has a much, much greater chance of being Richard Rodgers.

The fact that I've seen Derrick Henry and George Kittle's names thrown around in comparison to Dillon and LaGuara to me indicates we are really really reaching hard to love this draft. It's ok to hate it, I get that we have to wait and see. Maybe I'm wrong. But Gute hasn't inspired a ton of confidence in early returns so far from '18 and '19 drafts, either, so I understand the lack of faith.


Last edited by adambr2 on April 25, 2020, 9:25 PM, edited 4 times in total.

 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 25, 2020, 6:40 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2041
brewcrewdue80 said:
My God Minnesota just traded and has 13 picks still remaining! 3 for 1 with NO. This is very interesting as the amount of guys from this draft class could be their way to scout this class better vs what you knew up to the Combine. Their first 4 picks already seem to make this a great draft for them.


That team has backed itself into salary cap hell over the last couple years, and it has led to a ton of holes and absolutely no depth. They needed to use this draft to build depth back up again. But it isn't like they've had a 100% terrific draft. Jefferson was a solid pick and should be a good replacement for Diggs. But Gladney profiles as a nickel corner, and Dantzler had a very good college career, but tested absolutely terribly at the combine ... like almost the worst CB athletic profile in history bad. Cleveland was a very good pick for them, and will likely start at RT for a decade. I wanted him to be a Packer, although the Spriggs comparison that many have made is alarming.

The Vikings weren't as good as the Packers last year, and arguably had bigger holes to fill on their team. They also had a ton more draft capital gained through trades. I agree that they seem to be piling up late round picks as a way to make sure they have their pick of the UDFA-type guys today.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 25, 2020, 7:00 AM Post
Posts: 4229
I am ok with them trying to turn to a power running game as Rodgers gets older. It carried SF and TEN pretty far. However, I don’t see anything that suggests that this guy wouldn’t have been available in the 5th. The other issue is if your going to be a power running team, then you might want to start with the OL.

I don’t believe in paying a RB, recent history shows it’s a terrible idea. Even the Zeke contract looked bad last year, when they got equal production per carry from a rookie. Maybe a guy like Barkley worth a second contact, but he’s a generational talent. If we’re using draft picks on running backs to avoid paying Jones to free up money for Clark and Bak, then I am on board. I have a sinking feeling they still pay Jones, which nullifies any financial benefit of this pick.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 25, 2020, 7:15 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2041
wildcat83 said:
I am ok with them trying to turn to a power running game as Rodgers gets older. It carried SF and TEN pretty far. However, I don’t see anything that suggests that this guy wouldn’t have been available in the 5th. The other issue is if your going to be a power running team, then you might want to start with the OL.

I don’t believe in paying a RB, recent history shows it’s a terrible idea. Even the Zeke contract looked bad last year, when they got equal production per carry from a rookie. Maybe a guy like Barkley worth a second contact, but he’s a generational talent. If we’re using draft picks on running backs to avoid paying Jones to free up money for Clark and Bak, then I am on board. I have a sinking feeling they still pay Jones, which nullifies any financial benefit of this pick.


We need to remember that draftniks are not privy to teams' value boards, so we really have no clue where teams placed his value at. But I imagine that many teams see Dillon compared to Derrick Henry, who just signed his $10.2 million franchise tender, and see a great value there. Dillon has a better profile than Jamaal Williams did coming out. He also had the top RAS athletic profile of any RB in this year's draft.

I could see the Packers tagging Jones if he has a great year, then dealing him next offseason. I agree ... I don't see them dumping big money into the position. THey showed their hand by taking Dillon yesterday.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 25, 2020, 7:19 AM Post
Posts: 5398
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
brewcrewdue80 said:
My God Minnesota just traded and has 13 picks still remaining! 3 for 1 with NO. This is very interesting as the amount of guys from this draft class could be their way to scout this class better vs what you knew up to the Combine. Their first 4 picks already seem to make this a great draft for them.


That team has backed itself into salary cap hell over the last couple years, and it has led to a ton of holes and absolutely no depth. They needed to use this draft to build depth back up again. But it isn't like they've had a 100% terrific draft. Jefferson was a solid pick and should be a good replacement for Diggs. But Gladney profiles as a nickel corner, and Dantzler had a very good college career, but tested absolutely terribly at the combine ... like almost the worst CB athletic profile in history bad. Cleveland was a very good pick for them, and will likely start at RT for a decade. I wanted him to be a Packer, although the Spriggs comparison that many have made is alarming.

The Vikings weren't as good as the Packers last year, and arguably had bigger holes to fill on their team. They also had a ton more draft capital gained through trades. I agree that they seem to be piling up late round picks as a way to make sure they have their pick of the UDFA-type guys today.


Indications that a pile of those picks were headed to the Redskins for trent Williams but Williams nixed the deal. If a team actually has enough roster space available to draft 15 plus players in one draft and have them all make the team, it's got major problems. I'd expect the vikes to make a few trades today where they simply give up picks this year to get extra picks in future drafts.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 25, 2020, 7:21 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 10188
I will say, these picks may prove to work out very well in the end, but the team's moves certainly have completely sapped my interest and enjoyment in the draft this year. I turned it off after the Packers' 3rd, and I don't even think I want to turn it back on today.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 25, 2020, 7:28 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2041
PeaveyFury said:
I will say, these picks may prove to work out very well in the end, but the team's moves certainly have completely sapped my interest and enjoyment in the draft this year. I turned it off after the Packers' 3rd, and I don't even think I want to turn it back on today.


I have little doubt that Josiah Deguara will play, and likely play a lot for the Packers in 2020. The Packers drafted him as a more versatile Danny Vitale, and I think Lefleur expects him to be the team's version of Kyle Juszczyk. The two have very similar athletic profiles.

That said, when you draft a FB/H-Back/TE in the 3rd round, that guy needs to be a stud. It's simply not an extremely valuable position in today's NFL. To me, he's the guy that may make or break this draft class. It's an odd choice, and I certainly hope they did their homework on the kid and know what they're getting and where he fits.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 25, 2020, 7:31 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 10188
Oh don't get me wrong, I have little doubt that one or both of the guys they took yesterday could end up being a major contributor next year. It's just very uninspiring so far, having to wait and see on every single pick they've made thus far.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 NFL Draft 6pm Friday April 24th Rounds 2,3 Discussion
Posted: April 25, 2020, 7:40 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2041
PeaveyFury said:
Oh don't get me wrong, I have little doubt that one or both of the guys they took yesterday could end up being a major contributor next year. It's just very uninspiring so far, having to wait and see on every single pick they've made thus far.


With the shelf life of RBs being so short, I expect Dillon to come in and be a major contributor next year. I don't think there's any doubt that he will split time with Jones ... perhaps even a 50/50 timeshare. Jones probably played a little too much this season, and while he did stay healthy for the most part, he has been a little prone to injury in his career, so his health last year was a little lucky. Love is definitely the definition of a "wait and see", but Dillon will be a major part of the offense in 2020.

I know a lot of people are bemoaning the fact that the Packers haven't taken a WR yet, but the silver lining I think is that it shows some high faith in guys like Lazard and Kumerow, and perhaps high hope that MVS can rebound and that St. Brown can come in and be a contributor as well. I am intrigued by Begelton too.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 271 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: yourout and 9 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test