LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 39 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances

Author Message
Offline  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#21

Posted: May 06, 2020, 7:36 PM Post
Posts: 22383
Yeah, I have no problem believing Favre, particularly because of the auditor's own admission that they found no wrongdoing from him.

I will say I think in the future it would serve him well to pay a little more personal attention to what is happening with foundations and assets in his name. Things can happen like this that reflect badly on his name, or worse, the wrong person is going to end up taking advantage of him if they haven't already.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Scumbag Favre
#22

Posted: May 07, 2020, 1:36 AM Post
Posts: 5392
Brew4U said:
Yeah, I’m always amazed at those that will jump to a conclusion without any real information pushed out. Has society always been this way or does it just suck now?


I think we've always been this way. Think of lynch mobs back in the old days.

But now...we hear a small piece of some information and we just run with it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Scumbag Favre
#23

Posted: May 07, 2020, 1:45 AM Post
Posts: 5392
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Brew4U said:
Yeah, I’m always amazed at those that will jump to a conclusion without any real information pushed out. Has society always been this way or does it just suck now?


If the story were about Aaron Rodgers there would be a lot more people from WI playing defense on this one.



Do you think Rodgers is that much more popular in the state than Favre? Seems to me the Packers fans love that Aaron Rodgers is their QB...but that Favre was the more beloved player, the guy who represents their values more. But that's just the opinion I get from people I know.

Favre never struck me as someone who was very financially savvy. The article said that it went to Favre's company, Favre Enterprises, but not specifically to him. I would bet money that Brett is not in charge of the financials for Favre Enterprises.


I don't know, I thought he had a piece of those Copper compression sleeves for your knees, ankles, etc...

From what I've heard, there's no indication that Favre actually knew who this money came from. If someone is embezzling money and they go to Favre and say, "show up at a couple of events, you don't have to speak," or it's just a memorabilia deal, that probably wouldn't be out of the norm for Favre.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#24

Posted: May 07, 2020, 7:33 AM Post
Posts: 1042
I don't think $1.1 million is a drop in the bucket for Favre that he wouldn't be aware of, that much is clear from the fact that he is paying the majority of it back in installments. He says he never received money for obligations he didn't meet but they audit says they couldn't find any evidence that he attended the events. I don't know, I guess I can believe that he didn't know the source and it's good that he is paying it back, but I would like to know just why he is involved in a scheme that spent money meant for the poor on "lobbyists, concerts and sports tickets". It just seems like a lot of money, if it was $100K I would say yeah nothing to see here.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#25

Posted: May 07, 2020, 12:33 PM Post
Posts: 22383
I loved and appreciated Favre when he was with the Packers and love and appreciate Rodgers now. For a time, when he was with the Vikings I disliked Favre simply because of the Packer/Viking rivalry but enough time has passed where I look at his career with a lot of appreciation again.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#26

Posted: May 07, 2020, 1:29 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13431
Guys, we have given LOTS of leeway on the political talk in the Covid thread but you can't bring it to other threads.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Scumbag Favre
#27

Posted: May 07, 2020, 2:03 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6504
HiAndTight said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Brew4U said:
Yeah, I’m always amazed at those that will jump to a conclusion without any real information pushed out. Has society always been this way or does it just suck now?


If the story were about Aaron Rodgers there would be a lot more people from WI playing defense on this one.



Do you think Rodgers is that much more popular in the state than Favre? Seems to me the Packers fans love that Aaron Rodgers is their QB...but that Favre was the more beloved player, the guy who represents their values more. But that's just the opinion I get from people I know.



Let me rephrase, but yes. People generally feel more of a need to defend behavior of current players. The animosity toward Favre has definitely softened, but I don't think fans feel a real need to defend him. With Rodgers, that is not the case, most people still like to find excuses for him, just like they used to with Favre and his philandering and bad decisions on the field.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#28

Posted: May 07, 2020, 8:30 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6252
OldHeidelberg said:
I don't think $1.1 million is a drop in the bucket for Favre that he wouldn't be aware of, that much is clear from the fact that he is paying the majority of it back in installments. He says he never received money for obligations he didn't meet but they audit says they couldn't find any evidence that he attended the events. I don't know, I guess I can believe that he didn't know the source and it's good that he is paying it back, but I would like to know just why he is involved in a scheme that spent money meant for the poor on "lobbyists, concerts and sports tickets". It just seems like a lot of money, if it was $100K I would say yeah nothing to see here.


I would be stunned if Favre manages his own money. I know if I had his money, I wouldn't be managing it personally.

I doubt he had $1.1M sitting in his checking account. I'd guess that his accountants received the money and invested it. Then needed to liquidate the funds again to pay it back.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#29

Posted: May 08, 2020, 12:49 AM Post
Posts: 5392
OldHeidelberg said:
I don't think $1.1 million is a drop in the bucket for Favre that he wouldn't be aware of, that much is clear from the fact that he is paying the majority of it back in installments. He says he never received money for obligations he didn't meet but they audit says they couldn't find any evidence that he attended the events. I don't know, I guess I can believe that he didn't know the source and it's good that he is paying it back, but I would like to know just why he is involved in a scheme that spent money meant for the poor on "lobbyists, concerts and sports tickets". It just seems like a lot of money, if it was $100K I would say yeah nothing to see here.



It also says that they haven't found any link to suggest that he knew what the money was supposed to be from or that he did anything wrong.

I don't think there's any question there was some...poor decisions to say the least, that doesn't mean Favre himself was part of some level of corruption.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#30

Posted: May 08, 2020, 7:06 AM Post
Posts: 1042
CheezWizHed said:
OldHeidelberg said:
I don't think $1.1 million is a drop in the bucket for Favre that he wouldn't be aware of, that much is clear from the fact that he is paying the majority of it back in installments. He says he never received money for obligations he didn't meet but they audit says they couldn't find any evidence that he attended the events. I don't know, I guess I can believe that he didn't know the source and it's good that he is paying it back, but I would like to know just why he is involved in a scheme that spent money meant for the poor on "lobbyists, concerts and sports tickets". It just seems like a lot of money, if it was $100K I would say yeah nothing to see here.


I would be stunned if Favre manages his own money. I know if I had his money, I wouldn't be managing it personally.

I doubt he had $1.1M sitting in his checking account. I'd guess that his accountants received the money and invested it. Then needed to liquidate the funds again to pay it back.


I think that was probably a pretty big windfall for Favre at this point, I remember reading when he signed that last contract with the Vikes that he had a very expensive lifestyle, largely because he supported an extended family around him. I bet paying this back hurts, but of course it is all relative and he did come up with $500k Wednesday so he is not that cash strapped.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#31

Posted: May 08, 2020, 8:37 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 7018
OldHeidelberg said:
I think that was probably a pretty big windfall for Favre at this point, I remember reading when he signed that last contract with the Vikes that he had a very expensive lifestyle, largely because he supported an extended family around him. I bet paying this back hurts, but of course it is all relative and he did come up with $500k Wednesday so he is not that cash strapped.

As mentioned on the first page and in the article, the money was paid to Favre Enterprises, not to Brett personally. Public records show that Favre Enterprises has five employees.

Spotrac shows the following contracts for Favre:
2010: $16M
2009: 2/$25M (unsure how much was year one, but $4.4M signing bonus in 2010 so he was probably given some guaranteed money in 2010 to not retire)
2001-2010: $101.5M
1997-2003: 7/$42.5M
1994-1998: 5/$19M
1991-1993: 3/$1.38M

Using average salaries, that comes in at just under $150M for his career. Add in endorsement money, and the time value of money if even a fraction of that was invested, and he would have to spend quite a bit of money for $1.1M to be a major amount. As for paying back in installments, if he didn't put some of that away in a trust/annuity that he can't touch and is sitting on a couple million in cash he's a fool.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#32

Posted: May 08, 2020, 8:52 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 15335
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Favre and luxurious lifestyle really don't seem to mix. I'm sure he's doing just fine with his money.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#33

Posted: May 08, 2020, 9:05 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6504
I recall the story about his family but not that he was short on cash. Just that he did have some hangers on who were taking advantage of him. I haven't heard anything about financial trouble though and at least from what you can see in various things, he seems to be doing just fine and taking very good care of himself physically.

That he had $500k liquid to give back right away would seem to be good evidence of that.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#34

Posted: May 08, 2020, 9:17 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2041
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I recall the story about his family but not that he was short on cash. Just that he did have some hangers on who were taking advantage of him. I haven't heard anything about financial trouble though and at least from what you can see in various things, he seems to be doing just fine and taking very good care of himself physically.

That he had $500k liquid to give back right away would seem to be good evidence of that.


Pretty sure I read somewhere that his oldest daughter is a lawyer now, so she's probably doing ok. He's also not really the type to be waited on hand and foot. That said, he has quite a bit of extended family in and around Hattiesburg that he me be helping.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#35

Posted: May 08, 2020, 11:02 AM Post
Posts: 2300
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I recall the story about his family but not that he was short on cash. Just that he did have some hangers on who were taking advantage of him. I haven't heard anything about financial trouble though and at least from what you can see in various things, he seems to be doing just fine and taking very good care of himself physically.

That he had $500k liquid to give back right away would seem to be good evidence of that.


Pretty sure I read somewhere that his oldest daughter is a lawyer now, so she's probably doing ok. He's also not really the type to be waited on hand and foot. That said, he has quite a bit of extended family in and around Hattiesburg that he me be helping.

His oldest daughter had a child when she was in her late teens or early twenties. Then she completed college / law school. That’s great for her, but 99% of the population couldn’t do that. I’m sure she was on the family payroll the entire time. Just one example. It adds up.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#36

Posted: May 08, 2020, 2:11 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 3332
Kind of tangential, but a few years back when I was down in Biloxi for some Shuckers games I drove through Kiln & stopped for a couple two tree Miller's High Lifes at the Broke Spoke & the only differences I could discern between Southern Mississippi & Northern Wisconsin were the latitude & the accents.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#37

Posted: May 09, 2020, 12:56 PM Post
Posts: 1042
I tried to find that article from 2010 but only found a Peter King article who I am reminded was a master of ass kissing so he could be the inside source with the top NFL stars. So not sure how accurate my memory was of his money needs around supporting his family.Take it for what it's worth, in 2010 during Favre's last waffling I was working for a yacht company in South Florida. One of the brokers had a client who was a minority owner of the Vikes and he told me this client said that the whole retirement thing was that Favre wanted a pay raise and the Childress/players flight down to Mississippi was just a show as Favre didn't want his image tainted by it appearing to be a contract holdout. He said the owners were kind of annoyed by it and considered not paying and seeing if Favre showed up anyway. I don't know that this is any kind of revelation, just passing on something I heard at the time and it may be why I remember that article about his extensive family the way I do.

I have no idea what Favre financial situation is, like I say it is of course relative when talking about the needs of the wealthy. My comment about the 1.1 million being a windfall is that it seems like a lot of money for him to make for some appearances. But if he is pulling in 5 million a year in endorsements and appearances these days then sure, that could have been stuff managed by his agent that he wasn't really aware of. I guess I am just cynical whenever I hear stuff like this, I read the article on it and I envision a private box at the Sugar Bowl full of wealthy donors who get to party with a Mississippi legend.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#38

Posted: May 09, 2020, 1:14 PM Post
Posts: 14161
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I recall the story about his family but not that he was short on cash. Just that he did have some hangers on who were taking advantage of him. I haven't heard anything about financial trouble though and at least from what you can see in various things, he seems to be doing just fine and taking very good care of himself physically.

That he had $500k liquid to give back right away would seem to be good evidence of that.


To be fair he has probably made over $200mil in his life during and after his career. The fact his has to pay in installment loans for $600k of it means he probably isn’t swimming around in millions.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Favre Allegedly Received Mississippi State Funds for Non-Appearances
#39

Posted: May 09, 2020, 3:03 PM Post
Posts: 1042
A newer article laying out some of the details that I didn't know about.

https://deadspin.com/espn-pal-blocks-for-favre-in-mississippi-boondoggle-bu-1843361554


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 39 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HiAndTight, MrTPlush, yourout and 4 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test