LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 62  Next  [ 1233 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2020 Miscellaneous NFL News

Online  Re: 2020 Miscellaneous NFL News
Posted: November 27, 2020, 5:19 PM Post
Global Moderator
nodakfan17 said:
The Texans released Kenny Stills .... hmmmm

That would cost about $2.2M for the final 5 games if they claimed him ($436k/game). I'd expect no one claims him, however.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2020 Miscellaneous NFL News
Posted: November 27, 2020, 5:44 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
nodakfan17 said:

That would cost about $2.2M for the final 5 games if they claimed him ($436k/game). I'd expect no one claims him, however.

Does he fetch a comp pick if he re-signs elsewhere? A team with a lot of cap space might claim him for that reason.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2020, 7:40 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Ok, but that's a huge advantage for the second team to possess. Probably a lot more than 53%. They already know what they need. They can play for the win, play for the tie, however much risk they're willing to take on.

The first team knows nothing -- they can't take those risks. Additionally, if they go 3 and out, what do they do? Just punt and play for nothing better than a tie? Now if they don't get it, the other team can just bring out the FG and win it.

Maybe you're saying both teams get 4 downs and there is no punting -- if Team A fails on 4th down then Team B starts their possession back at their own 25 or whatever. But team B still has a big advantage knowing what they need to play for. I think you'd have to take field goals out entirely for this to really be equitable, and then you are going to have a LOT of ties.

I guess what I'm saying is there is no perfect way to do OT. Ties don't bother me a ton either, but I think they'd bother the average fan if the majority of OT games were ending in ties.

I really wasn't aware of the college percentage until you brought it up here but I don't know that you can use that to predict what the 2nd team having the ball would do in my proposal since the rules are different. In college if the first team possession kicks a FG the 2nd team starts in FG range and is really sitting in the catbird seat as they can take their shots and still have another likely OT round to fall back on. I would think the win percentage in the same scenario but with starting at your own ~25 yard line is quite a bit lower. But the college system definitely seems flawed, I would not want the NFL to go with that now that I see the advantage the coin toss winner has.

Also, I can't find the post rule change numbers but am guessing that your 53% number doesn't correlate to a 47% chance for the coin toss loser since there are also games that end in ties. So the loser probably has more of a 44-45% percent chance and an 8-9% advantage isn't really margin of error territory in my opinion, it's significant.

But you are right there is no perfect solution, I just think giving the coin toss winner a chance to win with a TD is the wrong one even if the percentages aren't that much different in the end. How would you feel about baseball flipping a coin at the end of 9 to see who bats first and going first run wins?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2020, 8:13 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Start both offenses and both defenses at the 45yd line (45 yards from the goal line - going opposite directions). You only get 4 downs to score or you go back to the 45 yd line; snaps happen (essentially) at the same time. Each team has equal possessions and the first team that has the lead wins.

I put that in blue, but the more I think about it the more I like it. [laughing]

That would be really fun AND fair! Everyone goes no huddle with quick snaps as they can't let the other team score first! Replay to see who crossed the goal line first! I love it. [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2020, 8:55 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
CheezWizHed said:
nodakfan17 said:

Does he fetch a comp pick if he re-signs elsewhere? A team with a lot of cap space might claim him for that reason.

The 2.2 million seems like a huge overpay just for a comp pick. Plus I believe NFL teams can roll over unused cap money to the next season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 27, 2020, 11:47 PM Post
OldHeidelberg said:
CheezWizHed said:
Start both offenses and both defenses at the 45yd line (45 yards from the goal line - going opposite directions). You only get 4 downs to score or you go back to the 45 yd line; snaps happen (essentially) at the same time. Each team has equal possessions and the first team that has the lead wins.

I put that in blue, but the more I think about it the more I like it. [laughing]

That would be really fun AND fair! Everyone goes no huddle with quick snaps as they can't let the other team score first! Replay to see who crossed the goal line first! I love it. [laughing]

Not OT realted, bu there was a rule change proposed in the competition committee that gained no traction, but I love it. Instead of Onside kick at the end of games, give team the ball at the 25, 4th and 15....I think. Convert and regular rules apply until the end of game.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2020, 1:27 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
nodakfan17 said:

Agreed. At which point, he'd cost the vets minimum, right?

Unless someone's willing to pay him more than the Texans were(Which is unlikely). I'd assume he's got an off-set in his contract.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2020, 1:59 PM Post
Detroit Lions will be looking for a new head coach and GM in the offseason:
https://twitter.com/lions/status/133277 ... 91266?s=21

Sort of expect more of the same hiring, since it’s the Lions.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2020, 2:13 PM Post
Global Moderator
Not a shock. Of the clueless Packer opponent coaches thus far, Quinn and Patricia seemed to stand out above the rest. No surprise they're both looking for new jobs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2020, 2:38 PM Post
wildcat83 said:
The 2.2 million seems like a huge overpay just for a comp pick. Plus I believe NFL teams can roll over unused cap money to the next season.

The Browns basically paid $15 million for a 2nd round pick when they absorbed Brock Osweiller’s contract. $2.2 million for a 6th or 7th round pick seems within the range of possibilities (then again, I’m not sure how much faith I should put in transactions that occurred between the Browns and Texans [tongue] ).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2020, 3:31 PM Post
Global Moderator
Patricia has a degree in like aeronautical engineering or something like that. So he's not dumb....maybe he's just book smart?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2020, 3:39 PM Post
Why couldn't the Lions wait another few weeks?

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2020, 4:16 PM Post
homer said:
Patricia has a degree in like aeronautical engineering or something like that. So he's not dumb....maybe he's just book smart?

Bill O’Brien went to Brown. Jason Garrett went to Princeton. It doesn’t always translate to success, but you would think it’d count for something?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2020, 5:46 PM Post
As if things weren't difficult enough going for the #1 seed, the Broncos don't have a quarterback available to play against the Saints.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2020, 6:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
PinaMadness said:
As if things weren't difficult enough going for the #1 seed, the Broncos don't have a quarterback available to play against the Saints.

WILDCAT!

NOLA is like -13.5 now

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 8:28 AM Post
Was Stills claimed?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 8:55 AM Post
How did the Broncos manage to have all those guys be close contacts? Is the practice squad guy suppose to be on a different planet, basically? I mean at least one of the QBs...wow.

Broncos actually wanted to start one of their assistant coaches as they felt he would run the offense best...NFL wouldn’t allow it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 11:07 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
How did the Broncos manage to have all those guys be close contacts? Is the practice squad guy suppose to be on a different planet, basically? I mean at least one of the QBs...wow.

Broncos actually wanted to start one of their assistant coaches as they felt he would run the offense best...NFL wouldn’t allow it.

What about their general manager and president of football operations?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 1:47 PM Post
Global Moderator
Vikings just gave up two scoop and scores on two consecutive offensive snaps. Delightful.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 29, 2020, 1:50 PM Post
I just turned on the NFL 5 minutes ago. Watching the Pats Cardinals game. I hate that ******** defenseless player penalty on a player chasing to make a tackle getting blocked. How can a player trying to make a tackle be defenseless. I turned the NFL off for the day now.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 62  Next  [ 1233 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply