LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next  [ 251 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon

Author Message
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 2:20 PM Post
Posts: 21947
HiAndTight said:
adambr2 said:
I guess we are still doing handshakes and maskless meet and greets after games.


They're all tested before the game. I don't know that it's that big of a deal.


In reality, it's probably not. It's just not great optics. Or it's great to see some normalcy, depending on how one looks at it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 2:21 PM Post
Posts: 894
RoCoBrewfan said:
The Vikings never possessed the ball in the 2nd half with a chance to take the lead.


I think the MVS drop and the final knee were the only drives we didn't get TD's on. That will do. Weird game, sure hope Clark can get back soon.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 2:24 PM Post
Posts: 894
homer said:
PinaMadness said:
homer said:
Meanwhile, the Bears are mounting a quasi epic comeback against the Lions.

Same old sorry Lions.


Swift drops game winning TD. Like, easy TD. Victory for the Bears.

Both teams looked like junk.


Man that was hard to watch, feel sort of sorry for the guy. Easy doesn't even describe it, Stafford practically handed it to him.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 2:46 PM Post
Posts: 2073
adambr2 said:
I guess we are still doing handshakes and maskless meet and greets after games.

I cringed.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 3:00 PM Post
Posts: 4936
adambr2 said:

In reality, it's probably not. It's just not great optics. Or it's great to see some normalcy, depending on how one looks at it.


It's probably not smart...but what I'm really shocked about is that we haven't heard about more guys going out and screwing around and getting Covid. You've had one larger outbreak in Florida and then the Cards had a few guys get it, but it's really been pretty smooth thus far.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 3:40 PM Post
Posts: 4084
HiAndTight said:
adambr2 said:

In reality, it's probably not. It's just not great optics. Or it's great to see some normalcy, depending on how one looks at it.


It's probably not smart...but what I'm really shocked about is that we haven't heard about more guys going out and screwing around and getting Covid. You've had one larger outbreak in Florida and then the Cards had a few guys get it, but it's really been pretty smooth thus far.


NFL seems to have tighter restrictions and players get fined for breaking protocol. It’s also a league that operates on “game checks”. Money talks.

The hand shakes after the game are a non issue to me. They just spent 3 hours blocking and tackling each other. The contact barrier has already been broken.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 4:08 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 5791
Very interesting to see Krys Barnes and Jon Lovett on the field with the defense and offense. Given they were elevated from the PS, I expected them to see backup/special teams only.

Lovett was only out on one(?) play and blocking. But Barnes looked like the second starting MLB out there (as much as we use the position) and made a couple big plays. Summers was listed as the starter, but I don't remember seeing either him nor Burke on the field on defense.

Degura was out there more than I expected also. Made one nice play and was too slow on another route.

Runyan was up and down. He had a lot of help in pass protection, but was a key blocker in Jones' last TD run.

I wasn't expecting to see Dillon at all, so him getting in a couple nice runs was good to see.

Love was thankfully quiet.

All-in-all a good day for the rookies.

Edit: I guess Barnes is on the regular roster, but still.. for a guy that was behind Burks and Summers, he sure played a lot.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 4:47 PM Post
Posts: 4936
CheezWizHed said:
Very interesting to see Krys Barnes and Jon Lovett on the field with the defense and offense. Given they were elevated from the PS, I expected them to see backup/special teams only.

Lovett was only out on one(?) play and blocking. But Barnes looked like the second starting MLB out there (as much as we use the position) and made a couple big plays. Summers was listed as the starter, but I don't remember seeing either him nor Burke on the field on defense.

Degura was out there more than I expected also. Made one nice play and was too slow on another route.

Runyan was up and down. He had a lot of help in pass protection, but was a key blocker in Jones' last TD run.

I wasn't expecting to see Dillon at all, so him getting in a couple nice runs was good to see.

Love was thankfully quiet.

All-in-all a good day for the rookies.

Edit: I guess Barnes is on the regular roster, but still.. for a guy that was behind Burks and Summers, he sure played a lot.


I don't know if Degura was too slow on that route. He had Kendricks beat. Rodgers just didn't put anything under it. Probably one of the only throws he'd like to have back. He's certainly not a burner or anything, but we knew that going in.

It was surprising to see Barnes out there. Burks is apparently dealing with a quad and I saw one beat writer say they didn't want to risk further injury. That seems like a positive spin. He's already not a very physical LB'er and Barnes played alright for a guy who wasn't on the roster a week ago.


Big questions are going to be what do the Packers do on both sides of the line. From what I've heard, Nijman is still a project, yet he was active. It was a good game, but Lancaster and Lowry didn't look good at all.

Maybe we bring Light back and hopefully we add a veteran DL. There are still impact players available. I can't get Lancaster's little belly flop on Cook's first TD run out of my mind.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 4:52 PM Post
Posts: 2073
I’ll take road wins all day long, but that sure had the feel of a 2019 Packer win.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 5:55 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 15121
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Degura had more influence on that game than Jefferson.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 6:16 PM Post
Posts: 21947
nodakfan17 said:
I’ll take road wins all day long, but that sure had the feel of a 2019 Packer win.


Basically to me every game is neutral site right now.

Overall this is basically the exact same team as last year. Adams is awesome and Jones is good but not really any other weapons for Rodgers other than that, so we live and die by how well #12 plays. I realize that MVS and Lazard had nice statistical days, but that was really just a product of how awesome AR was today rather than anything special that those two did on offense.

Defense can't stop the run, pretty good secondary except when they go into prevent mode.

It's almost a carbon copy of 2019. Which, they did win 13 games last year so that's not the worst thing in the world. I'm just not sure it'll be good enough again when we face a true elite opponent.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 6:27 PM Post
Posts: 21947
As an aside, I know there's a long ways to go, but the contrast in which the NFL has better handled the COVID-19 situation compared to MLB is just startling.

The NFL managed to put 17K fans in a stadium for their opening game. MLB has been fanless the entire time and still almost lost their entire season in the opening week.

I also was personally surprised to find out that at least for me, lack of fans had zero impact on my perception of the game. I thought the NFL experience would be most affected by lack of fans. If I didn't know they weren't there I probably wouldn't have even noticed.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 6:38 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 9730
A few quick thoughts:

1)Defense is always behind offense early in the season, and probably more so this year, but holy crap does that Viking unit look bad. They're going to have to score a lot of points to let their new-ish defense catch up, and I wouldn't bet on Cousins to pull that off. The number of points the Packers gave up doesn't look good on paper, but there was really no legit defensive 'scheme' for nearly the entire 4th quarter. I'm more annoyed they gave up three consecutive 2 pointers than anything.
2)Consequently, this offense looked really good today. MVS showed flashes of being a guy who can beat anyone today, he just needs to catch the ball consistently to be a massive play maker.
3)As shaky as Rodgers looked last year in a lot of the games, that looked like MVP-level Rodgers out there today. Not sure if that's more time with the scheme, better rapport with his weapons, or whatever, but holy crap was he good.
4)Alexander and King both had a hiccup late in the game, but Jaire has become one of the top-tier corners in the league. HR of a draft pick. If King can stay on the field (Big if, I know), they're a really good CB tandem.
5)Adams, just wow.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 6:44 PM Post
Posts: 5875
I just realized Capers is a senior defensive assistant for the Vikings. That explains so much.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 6:54 PM Post
Posts: 894
PeaveyFury said:
A few quick thoughts:

1)Defense is always behind offense early in the season, and probably more so this year, but holy crap does that Viking unit look bad. They're going to have to score a lot of points to let their new-ish defense catch up, and I wouldn't bet on Cousins to pull that off. The number of points the Packers gave up doesn't look good on paper, but there was really no legit defensive 'scheme' for nearly the entire 4th quarter. I'm more annoyed they gave up three consecutive 2 pointers than anything.
2)Consequently, this offense looked really good today. MVS showed flashes of being a guy who can beat anyone today, he just needs to catch the ball consistently to be a massive play maker.
3)As shaky as Rodgers looked last year in a lot of the games, that looked like MVP-level Rodgers out there today. Not sure if that's more time with the scheme, better rapport with his weapons, or whatever, but holy crap was he good.
4)Alexander and King both had a hiccup late in the game, but Jaire has become one of the top-tier corners in the league. HR of a draft pick. If King can stay on the field (Big if, I know), they're a really good CB tandem.
5)Adams, just wow.


The 2 point conversions were sort of tough for us with a back like Cook and our run D. I am more concerned about the quick scores when all we had to do was stop them from scoring quick to win but they had like a 1 minute and two 2 minute drives in the 4th quarter. That clearly needs work and I think that goes back to last season, just not sold on Pettine right now. 34 points in 18 minutes is really brutal. But it's week one, will see how they do against Stafford next week who is a better QB than Cousins.

Someone brought up here earlier but Cephus had 3 catches and a game high 10 targets today for the Lions. We had some debate here about his NFL potential and I haven't been paying attention but that is pretty impressive for a rookie WR with a short camp.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 7:52 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13050
Week one really doesn't tell you much. Particularly with no preseason. We will know what's what after they play NOLA in week 3.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 9:05 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1781
It's been several years since Rodgers has had a game like that. Everything he threw was spot on. Truly vintage performance today from him. Of course, he had to be licking his chops looking at the dumpster fire that makes up the Vikings' QB room. Not only did Adams school those guys, they were destroyed by the likes of Lazard and MVS (who should have had a HUGE game today) as well.

Fun game to watch. Extra special for me having several friends who are rabid Viking fans.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 9:07 PM Post
Posts: 2538
MMs first game in Dallas looks a bit like his last game in Green Bay.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 9:17 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6279
That OPI was trash.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Game 1: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, September 13th, Noon
Posted: September 13, 2020, 9:26 PM Post
Posts: 2538
OldSchoolSnapper said:
That OPI was trash.

Yes it was.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next  [ 251 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test