LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next  [ 190 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Badger Football 2020 (Latest-Wildgoose Opts Out, Declares for Draft)

Author Message
Offline  Badger Football 2020 (Latest-Wildgoose Opts Out, Declares for Draft)
#1

Posted: September 15, 2020, 2:34 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13004
[url][/url]So maybe wishful thinking on my part but tea leaves say we might get a season.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#2

Posted: September 15, 2020, 2:57 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4614
Sounds like that is the plan. Mid october start so teams can be eligible for the playoff. Crazy that there will likely be football and some big ten campuses are cancelling all other student activities, spring break, and locking down dorms.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#3

Posted: September 15, 2020, 3:08 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6146
Location: Phoenix, AZ
jjfanec said:
Sounds like that is the plan. Mid october start so teams can be eligible for the playoff. Crazy that there will likely be football and some big ten campuses are cancelling all other student activities, spring break, and locking down dorms.


There has been talks of excluding the B10 from the playoffs.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#4

Posted: September 15, 2020, 3:10 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4614
nate82 said:
jjfanec said:
Sounds like that is the plan. Mid october start so teams can be eligible for the playoff. Crazy that there will likely be football and some big ten campuses are cancelling all other student activities, spring break, and locking down dorms.


There has been talks of excluding the B10 from the playoffs.


I had read the earlier start was to make the playoff


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#5

Posted: September 15, 2020, 3:27 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6146
Location: Phoenix, AZ
jjfanec said:

I had read the earlier start was to make the playoff


Right but there still has been rumors to not include them because of the late start to the season for the B10. To be fair the B10 shouldn't be ranked right now until the teams play a game or at least not rank them within the top 10 until the teams have played.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Badger Football 2020
#6

Posted: September 15, 2020, 3:33 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 5762
So the SEC is complaining that the B10 might play fewer games this year?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#7

Posted: September 15, 2020, 3:51 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6146
Location: Phoenix, AZ
CheezWizHed said:
So the SEC is complaining that the B10 might play fewer games this year?


Ironic I know but it is what it is.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#8

Posted: September 15, 2020, 4:13 PM Post
Posts: 5468
Location: Madison, WI
Well, if the big ten plays this and PAC 12 doesn't it become really simple for the playoffs. Just take the winner of each major conference and call it a day.

But yes, it does seem odd that pretty much exactly what they feared in terms of bringing students in causing spikes has happened yet they're going to now play even if they go remote for school. For some reason ignoring that issue about how that makes the athletes singled out and looking like pros. That said, I generally agree the playing football itself is not the big issue, test a bunch and keep them isolated. It's the surrounding stuff.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#9

Posted: September 15, 2020, 4:19 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1735
tmwiese55 said:
Well, if the big ten plays this and PAC 12 doesn't it become really simple for the playoffs. Just take the winner of each major conference and call it a day.

But yes, it does seem odd that pretty much exactly what they feared in terms of bringing students in causing spikes has happened yet they're going to now play even if they go remote for school. For some reason ignoring that issue about how that makes the athletes singled out and looking like pros. That said, I generally agree the playing football itself is not the big issue, test a bunch and keep them isolated. It's the surrounding stuff.


I think the overriding answer and $$$ and pending litigation. I don't think these university presidents quite understood just how many student athletes (and those athletes' parents) would put athletic competition ahead of health and safety.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#10

Posted: September 15, 2020, 5:32 PM Post
User avatar

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Posts: 6864
What's going to happen when games get canceled because of COVID? This is such a joke, the Big Ten had the right idea to just play in early 2021 when there could have been some fans in the stands and a better chance of getting through the season. Good luck with that now.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#11

Posted: September 15, 2020, 6:08 PM Post
Posts: 4929
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
tmwiese55 said:
Well, if the big ten plays this and PAC 12 doesn't it become really simple for the playoffs. Just take the winner of each major conference and call it a day.

But yes, it does seem odd that pretty much exactly what they feared in terms of bringing students in causing spikes has happened yet they're going to now play even if they go remote for school. For some reason ignoring that issue about how that makes the athletes singled out and looking like pros. That said, I generally agree the playing football itself is not the big issue, test a bunch and keep them isolated. It's the surrounding stuff.


I think the overriding answer and $$$ and pending litigation. I don't think these university presidents quite understood just how many student athletes (and those athletes' parents) would put athletic competition ahead of health and safety.


I think everyone here can remember back to when they were 18-22. I assume most wouldn't have been worried about Covid themselves. I sure as hell wouldn't have. So I understand the players. The parents, I don't know how many are actually on board. It was a pretty small group from what I understood that was outside the B10 headquarters.

Didn't read about it, but I saw a headline where Ed Orgeron said that "pretty much most" of his team has the virus. I'm pretty risk adverse, so if I was running a B10 school, I think I'd just continue with the plan they set forth...but who knows what'll actually happen.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#12

Posted: September 15, 2020, 6:54 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 9657
nate82 said:
To be fair the B10 shouldn't be ranked right now until the teams play a game or at least not rank them within the top 10 until the teams have played.


Pretty much how I feel about the preseason Top 25 poll every single year.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#13

Posted: September 15, 2020, 9:46 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2523
owbc said:
What's going to happen when games get canceled because of COVID? This is such a joke, the Big Ten had the right idea to just play in early 2021 when there could have been some fans in the stands and a better chance of getting through the season. Good luck with that now.



Uhhh. Then games will be cancelled because of Covid? Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#14

Posted: September 15, 2020, 10:06 PM Post
User avatar

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Posts: 6864
Oxy said:
owbc said:
What's going to happen when games get canceled because of COVID? This is such a joke, the Big Ten had the right idea to just play in early 2021 when there could have been some fans in the stands and a better chance of getting through the season. Good luck with that now.


Uhhh. Then games will be cancelled because of Covid? Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.


So how do they determine a conference champion then?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#15

Posted: September 15, 2020, 11:42 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2523
owbc said:
Oxy said:
owbc said:
What's going to happen when games get canceled because of COVID? This is such a joke, the Big Ten had the right idea to just play in early 2021 when there could have been some fans in the stands and a better chance of getting through the season. Good luck with that now.


Uhhh. Then games will be cancelled because of Covid? Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.


So how do they determine a conference champion then?


Any way they decide to do it is better than cancelling the entire season right off the bat.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Badger Football 2020
#16

Posted: September 16, 2020, 7:22 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 5762
I suppose it would be like the NBA and MLB. They went in knowing that they might have to cancel it and bow out before the end of the season. But they can try anyway. I'm not sure how much different it will be now vs the spring anyway. There is a better chance of having a functioning vaccine, but no guarantees either. Seems like the NFL has been doing well with their controls - they are probably the template for B10 football too.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#17

Posted: September 16, 2020, 7:52 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13004
If a player tests positive, they have to sit out 21 days. Good incentive to not party.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#18

Posted: September 16, 2020, 7:58 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6146
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Big Ten football officially back on 10/24.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... d-testing/


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#19

Posted: September 16, 2020, 7:59 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4614
I am all for them starting the season if they think it is safe but it is ironic to me that Ohio State is part of the huge push to bring football back while indefinitely banning any student organizations from meeting in person. The initial suspension of activities started on August 28th and was supposed to last two weeks but they just continued it indefinitely. So it is only safe for athletes to gather? I get they have testing but every campus I have been at athletes party just like the rest of the student body. I know a guy on a Big Ten football team right now who has been quarantined for 6 straight weeks because his roommates keep getting it. He hasnt had it yet but probably will soon. His campus is also one of the campuses pushing for football to come back


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
#20

Posted: September 16, 2020, 8:20 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 9657
jjfanec said:
I am all for them starting the season if they think it is safe but it is ironic to me that Ohio State is part of the huge push to bring football back while indefinitely banning any student organizations from meeting in person. The initial suspension of activities started on August 28th and was supposed to last two weeks but they just continued it indefinitely. So it is only safe for athletes to gather? I get they have testing but every campus I have been at athletes party just like the rest of the student body. I know a guy on a Big Ten football team right now who has been quarantined for 6 straight weeks because his roommates keep getting it. He hasnt had it yet but probably will soon. His campus is also one of the campuses pushing for football to come back


Yep, there's a huge disconnect in saying 'it's safe for football' while campuses, including UW-Madison, are having major problems and are actually closing down. We all know what's really going on here.... $$$$$$$$


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next  [ 190 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CheezWizHed, nodakfan17 and 5 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test