LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next  [ 217 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Badger Football 2020 (Latest-Wildgoose Opts Out, Declares for Draft)

Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020
Posted: October 25, 2020, 4:24 PM Post
jjgott said:
Jeff Potrykus
@jaypo1961

Apologies for the delay in answering questions from #Badgers fans about Graham Mertz testing positive for COVID-19. Have been working on the story for much of the day but we wanted to be certain. One positive test. Has to have a second test to confirm.

https://twitter.com/jaypo1961/status/13 ... 0294215681

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 25, 2020, 4:24 PM Post
Global Moderator
PeaveyFury said:
I think lost in all of the social media glee about Mertz taking over is that the Badgers are a positive COVID test away from Chase Wolf starting 2-3 games for them this year per Big Ten protocols....

Called that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 25, 2020, 4:48 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
PeaveyFury said:
I think lost in all of the social media glee about Mertz taking over is that the Badgers are a positive COVID test away from Chase Wolf starting 2-3 games for them this year per Big Ten protocols....

Called that.

Yep. Out 21 days. What a crap rule though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 25, 2020, 5:18 PM Post
Hopefully just a false positiv. if not ...the next question is how many other players for the Badgers and Illinois end up with it?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 25, 2020, 5:32 PM Post
Has the 2nd test come back yet?

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 25, 2020, 6:06 PM Post
Global Moderator
Brew4U said:
Has the 2nd test come back yet?

No

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 26, 2020, 12:11 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
We kind of knew that avoiding COVID was the key to winning college football this year. It's kind of a joke, I'm having trouble taking it seriously. Really wish they would have stuck with the plan to play in the spring.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 26, 2020, 7:54 AM Post
owbc said:
We kind of knew that avoiding COVID was the key to winning college football this year. It's kind of a joke, I'm having trouble taking it seriously. Really wish they would have stuck with the plan to play in the spring.

Sure would be nice to be Alabama right now. If one of your stars gets COVID, or suffers a season-ending injury like Waddle did over the weekend, you just plug in the 5-star sitting being him, or the 5-star sitting behind that guy. That team is so deep, it's really incredible. I don't know why so many star recruits end up going to a place where there's a solid chance they may never leave the bench.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 26, 2020, 5:26 PM Post
Global Moderator
Early, unverified reports that Chase Wolf also did not practice today, so that’s really great.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 26, 2020, 5:45 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Early, unverified reports that Chase Wolf also did not practice today, so that’s really great.

Groshek time!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 26, 2020, 6:14 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
owbc said:

Sure would be nice to be Alabama right now. If one of your stars gets COVID, or suffers a season-ending injury like Waddle did over the weekend, you just plug in the 5-star sitting being him, or the 5-star sitting behind that guy. That team is so deep, it's really incredible. I don't know why so many star recruits end up going to a place where there's a solid chance they may never leave the bench.

Why do so many 4 star recruits choose to go to places like Alabama and OSU and Clemson and be just another name on the bench in a sea of stars rather than come somewhere like UW where they could be one of the best players on the team, get to start playing as freshmen and really put themselves on the map while still playing for a contending program?

I genuinely want to understand why they choose that path.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 26, 2020, 6:26 PM Post
It's Brucie's time to shine!

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 26, 2020, 6:29 PM Post
Global Moderator
Well there is the obvious in that you're a part of a winning team and have top notch facilities, training and treatment. Throw in the idea of competition raises all boats. Also take into account that you only really need one year to play and likely set yourself up for a draft day windfall based on your school and conference. If you sit for a year or two, you can soak up two years and transfer as an instant starter nearly anywhere else. So take the big ticket gamble and still fall back on a great situation if you don't make it to legendary status with the blue bloods.

You can also probably follow the trails of rumors and some conjecture in that you make more money playing at these schools. I'm living in the heart of SEC country right now and I think that is pretty much understood by most people following the game closely. Whether that is in the rumored payments categories or through other avenues on the back end, it seems to be prevalent. If you struggle at academics, there are always ways to help that along too. That is not to say that it only happens at these named schools, but the true 4 and 5 star factories definitely deliver for their athletes on all levels and HS kids understand that.

I would love to see some more parity in college football, but I don't think those influencing the money really want that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 26, 2020, 8:21 PM Post
PinaMadness said:
It's Brucie's time to shine!

Nah... here comes the Boom!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 26, 2020, 8:22 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:

Apparently UW has had many false positives this year, so we can only hope that at least one of Mertz or Wolf (preferably the former) is also one of those.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 27, 2020, 9:02 AM Post
Vanden Boom would certainly be the next man up...after that I would presume Groshek since he at least has a lot of experience with the offensive etc.

The only other QB on the roster is a freshman, so I doubt they would put him in this early. He is an absolute tank at 6’8” though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 27, 2020, 11:02 AM Post
Confirmed out for 3-weeks

Source: Graham Mertz's second COVID-19 test comes back positive after breakout start, will be sidelined for 21 days

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... r-21-days/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 27, 2020, 11:24 AM Post
Global Moderator
Darn. Bucky might only win by 10 now.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 27, 2020, 11:26 AM Post
Can definitely still win with Vandenboom this week. But that Michigan game will likely be an L or at the least a very uphill battle.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 27, 2020, 11:33 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
We'll see if this is a CFP-caliber defense or not, that's for sure.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next  [ 217 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply