LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next  [ 190 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Badger Football 2020 (Latest-Wildgoose Opts Out, Declares for Draft)

Offline  Re: Badger Football 2020

Posted: October 06, 2020, 8:25 AM Post
Global Moderator
So they get another year of eligibility but that doesn't mean teams (cough cough SEC) have to renew their scholarship right?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 06, 2020, 8:47 AM Post
Haha, yea they didn't abide by that anyway. Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the workaround is in regards to the scholarship number limit. I'd guess if it's usually 85 (it's something like that) maybe it'll have a one year bump to 95 or 100 so you can still bring in your planned freshman and not have to pull scholarships. But yea, the SEC would anyway.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 07, 2020, 3:11 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
I missed that twist added to this year... JT still made the right decision (as much as I'd loved to have him back). He looked very good against the Bears last weekend.

Of course he made the right decision, but as a hypothetical, it's kinda fun to think about Taylor. He's ~1000 yards behind Dayne. He'd have easily gotten that if healthy this year. And then next year just based on his average, you'd have to think 2000.

But of course, going pro now was the obvious choice. He has almost 1,000 more yards than any other back who only played 3years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 07, 2020, 3:13 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Haha, yea they didn't abide by that anyway. Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the workaround is in regards to the scholarship number limit. I'd guess if it's usually 85 (it's something like that) maybe it'll have a one year bump to 95 or 100 so you can still bring in your planned freshman and not have to pull scholarships. But yea, the SEC would anyway.

I'd guess they'd just add a quarter of the scholarships and then roll it back over the next 2-3 years. I don't know if that's what they'll do, but...if they're saying this year doesn't count against their eligibility...it only seems logical(though I know I'm talking about the NCAA).

You don't want to take away chances from kids in HS right now who are already potentially losing chances by not being able to play or go to the camps they normally would have. There are a lot of kids who go under the radar and only get one scholarship as is.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2020, 5:59 PM Post
Season opener against Illinois set for 7pm, Friday, October 23rd.

Was hoping for an afternoon game and decent weather to at least try to get people to watch it outside, but looks like the bars and living rooms will be packed to the gills that Friday night.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2020, 3:54 PM Post
Global Moderator
A few freshmen getting some buzz in practice - WR, Chimere Dike and OLB Nick Herbig

Can't believe game #1 is in a week.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2020, 4:04 PM Post
Yea don't see the kind of chatter about Dike very often from UW. Heard if for Cephus and that turned out to be very true. It would make sense being from Oshkosh how he'd fly under the radar in recruiting, hope he makes it.

Saw some bars here doing reserve your table type things for the games. Everyone seems to be compliant with the rules but still, 4-5 hours of drinking and people fall into their old ways quickly. And even within the rules you don't need to wear masks at tables so yea I will stay away. I half expected the city to shut it down somehow but haven't heard anything and then with the tavern lawsuit this week probably is what it is.

I'm skeptical on the 23ish pt spread. I have a feeling UW type program with the head down no drama type approach is best fit to be prepared in this situation. But the trends in CFB seems to be the offenses are way ahead of the D. With what IL does that could be a problem. That's the logical part of me. Still have a weird feeling they're going to come out well here and the D will be ready.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2020, 4:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
Dike is actually from Waukesha.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2020, 4:21 PM Post
Oh right brain fart of top of head, same thing applies. K and SH in both haha. Idea would be put him in TX or GA and he's called a 4 star and chased by the SEC. They don't watch up here though so a guy can fly under the radar easily.

Last edited by tmwiese55 on October 19, 2020, 9:04 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 16, 2020, 5:37 PM Post
Ten years ago today...

The funny thing is that after Wisconsin won the coin toss and elected to receive, Brent Musberger said, "There's Jim Tressel, you'll see his defense early tonight as the Badgers won the toss..."

No, no you won't. [smile]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 16, 2020, 5:57 PM Post
Wisconsin's OL that game:

Ricky Wagner, John Moffitt, Peter Konz, Kevin Zeitler, Gabe Carimi

Backup/injured: Travis Frederick, Ryan Groy (wore #89 and played TE that game), Rob Havenstein, Bill Nagy, Josh Oglesby

Oglesby was the only one of those ten not to play in the NFL. Oglesby and Groy were the only ones not drafted.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 16, 2020, 9:01 PM Post
Dike was a 4 star recruit by 247sports, Rivals and ESPN.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 16, 2020, 10:02 PM Post
LouisEly said:
Wisconsin's OL that game:

Ricky Wagner, John Moffitt, Peter Konz, Kevin Zeitler, Gabe Carimi

Backup/injured: Travis Frederick, Ryan Groy (wore #89 and played TE that game), Rob Havenstein, Bill Nagy, Josh Oglesby

Oglesby was the only one of those ten not to play in the NFL. Oglesby and Groy were the only ones not drafted.

He was the top recruit out of that group also, wasn't he? I thought he was a top 40-50 recruit in the country and the top guy in Wisconsin.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 19, 2020, 9:10 AM Post
Yes Oglesby was one of their highest rated recruits ever and ranked super high like that, he dealt with injuries his whole career though. But found a way to get out there and be pretty good his last couple years.

Think of the combined money a team, or even just OL, like that has made. I think UW uses this a lot in OL recruiting where they just lay out the contracts their OLs have made. During shutdown they aired the UW/MSU B1G title game when we had Wilson and I figured there was probably a billion dollars of salary on that field. Remember Cousins was the QB and Bell as RB for MSU.

For Dike: good if they made a 4 star. I don't recall the timelines for sure but it's different to give a a guy 4 star after its all over than to call them a 4 star when they're young and get the hype train going, which is what happens if you get LSU/UGA offers early in the process. If they got it right from the beginning good for them. Just saying guys up here don't get near the attention as the south. Which is very good for UW and likely a big factor in their success.

Last edited by tmwiese55 on October 19, 2020, 11:13 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 19, 2020, 11:04 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Yes Oglesby was one of their highest rated recruits ever and ranked super high like that, he dealt with injuries his whole career though. But found a way to get out there and be pretty good his last couple years.

Think of the combined money a team, or even just OL, like that has made. I think UW uses this a log in OL recruiting where they just lay out the contracts their OLs have made. During shutdown they aired the UW/MSU B1G title game when we had Wilson and I figured there was probably a billion dollars of salary on that field. Remember Cousins was the QB and Bell as RB for MSU.

For Dike: good if they made a 4 star. I don't recall the timelines for sure but it's different to give a a guy 4 star after its all over than to call them a 4 star when their young and get the hype train going, which is what happens if you get LSU/UGA offers early in the process. If they got it right from the beginning good for them. Just saying guys up here don't get near the attention as the south. Which is very good for UW and likely a big factor in their success.

Yeah, I thought he was good. I remember taking to a guy who works in the Athletic Department just raving about him and he went to a school close to where I grew up. I can't remember the name of it, but I thought it was a small private school(which made him a bit of an outlier). I could be wrong about that. But it seemed like they were pretty excited...like maybe he could be another Joe Thomas-esque talent.

I might be combining guys, but I thought he was a really good BB player as well. So his footwork, size, pretty much everything was going for him. Tough break. Knee injuries IIRC. Similar to Costigan. Cost both of them a chance to play at the next level.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 19, 2020, 11:24 AM Post
https://wisconsin.rivals.com/news/recru ... sh-oglesby

Good summary I found. Didn't remember he got hurt his HS senior year. Milwaukee St. Francis so you're right on private school. I don't recall if he played basketball. But I'm pretty sure Joe Thomas did play basketball and his team made the state tournament his senior year. But yea this say Josh was No 1 OT and top 10 overall. Perhaps the final ranking he got moved down due to the injury, idk.

I also just checked and he's now OL coach as San Jose state, good for him. I've only ever heard good things about him as a person. I remembered he'd gone into coaching soon after, maybe grad assistant at UW for a year or two but can't remember for sure.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 19, 2020, 11:31 AM Post
Global Moderator
St. Francis is actually the name of a suburb not a private school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Francis,_Wisconsin

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 19, 2020, 11:37 AM Post
homer said:
St. Francis is actually the name of a suburb not a private school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Francis,_Wisconsin

Ah, I still think his memory was correct haha but just assumed that was a private school. Like I did when it was said in the article.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 20, 2020, 11:20 AM Post
Global Moderator
tmwiese55 said:

Arizona St pulled offers from two Wisconsin kids who had committed:
https://n.rivals.com/news/arizona-state ... -prospects

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 20, 2020, 11:30 AM Post
Ah, tough for them, I guess yea it's likely to show up more and more all over the place. This will be a very odd recruiting period due to this rule, so many HS teams not playing, no visites, offers just based on rankings/highlights, no camps, etc. Really no idea how it's all going to go.

Let's get them in UW as preferred walk on types. Hopefully they come out ok with some other teams otherwise, even if they drop to say MAC level it's still a free ride scholarship. Northern Illinois could be a nice safe close option.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next  [ 190 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply