LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next  [ 375 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Packers 2020 team discussion

Offline  Re: Packers 2020 team discussion
Posted: October 16, 2020, 10:18 AM Post
Why would anyone think ATL or MIN would be good this year is beyond me. They stink. They had lousy offseasons and didn't get any better. Couple that with poor coaching and you get what you have this season for them. Both franchises are in trouble moving forward.

New Orleans has been our only real test and that game could've went either way.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 16, 2020, 10:30 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Why would anyone think ATL or MIN would be good this year is beyond me. They stink. They had lousy offseasons and didn't get any better. Couple that with poor coaching and you get what you have this season for them. Both franchises are in trouble moving forward.

Trust me, as a Packer fan with a lot of Minnesota friends, I love that the Vikings are terrible. Maybe I bought into their hype for the team a little too hard. They have some terrific skill position talent. But Zimmer has always been terrible. He's just a jerk, and a bad coach to boot.

The Falcons are a tough team to get a read on. Really solid offensive firepower on paper with Jones, Ridley and Gage at WR, Hurst at TE and Gurley in the backfield. Matt Ryan has always been a solid QB, but appears to be in decline.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 16, 2020, 10:36 AM Post
Global Moderator
Minnesota looked good against Seattle. That's as flummoxed as I've seen Wilson in quite some time.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 16, 2020, 10:49 AM Post
Seattle has been cardiac arrest every week and most of their opponents have looked good, or competitive, against them. An OK team that uses the Herculean skills of one guy to look really good. The amount of close wins that team has eeked out for the last 2 years specifically is incredible.

The Seahawks right now remind me a lot of what the Packers were from 2012-2016. A good offense with a QB that will have them in contention every year if healthy and often needing everything he's got to win.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 16, 2020, 11:15 AM Post
The Bears schedule hasn't exactly been a murderer's row either and by all rights probably should've lost to Detroit and Atlanta. Also didn't look very impressive against the Giants, although Trubisky played that game, but Foles isn't that much of an improvement either.

Last edited by PinaMadness on October 16, 2020, 4:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 16, 2020, 11:40 AM Post
Seattle's defense is nothing special at all. Russell Wilson probably will never be as appreciated as he should be. Guy has ice in his veins and has done it for a long time now. He's incredible to watch.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 16, 2020, 11:53 AM Post
Global Moderator
The Bears are OK. Their defense is good enough to keep them at least close in almost every game. They get a turnover and they can beat you (ala Tampa Bay).

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 16, 2020, 1:12 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Seattle's defense is nothing special at all. Russell Wilson probably will never be as appreciated as he should be. Guy has ice in his veins and has done it for a long time now. He's incredible to watch.

That's why they don't overly concern me. I like the Packers chances against that kind of one-man show, where I'm not really concerned about them being unable to score points. That offensive line is not good either. It's been better this year, but the talent is just not there on it, and I don't worry about us being unable to at least get to Wilson sometimes. We have a better balance. We can survive a few big plays from him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 16, 2020, 2:46 PM Post
Brew4U said:

Why would anyone have thought Minnesota would have been bad?

They were 57-38 coming into the year under Zimmer. They lost some DB's, but drafted a bunch.

I think the idea that everyone knew Minnesota was a bad team is a little bit revisionist now. Most people thought they were the team that would compete with us for the division title.

And Atlanta...nobody ever knows what you're getting from them.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 16, 2020, 3:00 PM Post
HiAndTight said:
Brew4U said:

They were 57-38 coming into the year under Zimmer. They lost some DB's, but drafted a bunch.

I think the idea that everyone knew Minnesota was a bad team is a little bit revisionist now. Most people thought they were the team that would compete with us for the division title.

They basically lost their entire defensive backfield. You don’t just replace that all at once and not miss a beat. Their offensive line is absolute dog turds and haven’t done anything to shore that up. They traded one of their only offensive weapons worth much. They were destined to be lousy to mediocre this year. Looks like they’re choosing the lousy road. They aren’t good and have cap issues. The Packers should curb stomp them for years to come.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 16, 2020, 11:39 PM Post
Brew4U said:
HiAndTight said:
Brew4U said:

They basically lost their entire defensive backfield. You don’t just replace that all at once and not miss a beat. Their offensive line is absolute dog turds and haven’t done anything to shore that up. They traded one of their only offensive weapons worth much. They were destined to be lousy to mediocre this year. Looks like they’re choosing the lousy road. They aren’t good and have cap issues. The Packers should curb stomp them for years to come.

They lost their Corners, they still had two All Pro Safety's and added an elite edge rusher. Their OL's not very good, but it hasn't been very good since and they've still routinely been a playoff team under Zimmer.

I think the idea that it was obvious they'd be 1-4 and a terrible team is a bit revisionist.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 17, 2020, 9:32 AM Post
This is just my opinion, but to me any talk about who should or shouldn't be good or will be good is pointless. The talent of all 32 teams is close enough together where most teams stand a reasonable chance of winning any game. I dont think Miami is really 25 points better than the 49ers and I don't think the Vikings win in the Superdome more than 2 out of 10 times but one of those two was last January and that was the only one that mattered that day.

Most teams are somewhere between 6-10 and 10-6 depending on the bounces they get in a season. There are a few teams below that gray area and a few teams above it. I'd like to think we are one of the teams above it and we certainly have a chance to go to the Super Bowl but it's obviously not a given.

How well or how poorly you match up against a specific team is definitely something I believe in more now than in the past and it does seem that the numerous injuries on the 49ers this year may keep them out of the playoffs and help us avoid that bad matchup.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 17, 2020, 10:30 AM Post
I agree with that Adam. I just laughed at all the “experts” picking the Vikings to run away with the division and really, for no real good reasons at all. Hell, even their QB is about average. Especially when it comes down to actually performing in clutch positions against good teams. They lost more than they’ve gained and they weren’t that good to begin with. 8-8 was about their value this season and it looks more likely that they’ll finish about 6-10’ish, maybe even worse. I see a ton of Packer fans that will talk up these great Viking players too and then trash the Packers talent level and complain about the 2020 draft. Many. Many have looked very foolish this year and I for one am enjoying it thoroughly.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 17, 2020, 11:56 AM Post
Just noticed the once stellar Vikings D ranks 26th in yards and 27th in points. What has changed?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 17, 2020, 2:47 PM Post
The Packers have activated St. Brown.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 17, 2020, 3:50 PM Post
OldHeidelberg said:
Just noticed the once stellar Vikings D ranks 26th in yards and 27th in points. What has changed?

Never wear a toupee that you get free with an oil change. That thing is awful.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 18, 2020, 1:02 AM Post
wildcat83 said:

Nice. It'd be awesome to get a chance to see him get out there and get a few catches. I'm skeptical that he's active this week, but playing down in Tampa...it might be a good idea to go with another WR'er given that guys will probably need a bit more rest.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 18, 2020, 11:16 AM Post
HiAndTight said:
wildcat83 said:

Nice. It'd be awesome to get a chance to see him get out there and get a few catches. I'm skeptical that he's active this week, but playing down in Tampa...it might be a good idea to go with another WR'er given that guys will probably need a bit more rest.

If he wasn’t going to be active, they wouldn’t have activated him. He still had 2 weeks before they had to take him off IR. If they weren’t going to suit him up I would think they would have let him continue to practice on IR.

He was a healthy scratch in week 1 which limits my expectations a bit.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 11:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
Actually, St. Brown got injured the weekend of the first game (possibly in warm-ups). He went in IR the next day.

But he was pretty much a non-entity during this game, which isn't surprising given the lack of time with the offense.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 5:58 PM Post
From MVP to Bum

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next  [ 375 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply