LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next  [ 375 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Packers 2020 team discussion

Offline  Re: Packers 2020 team discussion
Posted: October 19, 2020, 5:59 PM Post
The Packers had 304 total pressures last year. They're on pace for 169 this season. Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith have only 20 combined.

This is a problem. Whether it’s scheme or them not performing, it is a big issue.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 6:09 PM Post
Brew4U said:

Wow! That's a scorching hot take to end all hot takes.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:31 PM Post
PinaMadness said:
Brew4U said:

Wow! That's a scorching hot take to end all hot takes.

I couldn't get past the first sentence. Does this moron really think this game is evidence why they drafted Love?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:34 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Actually, St. Brown got injured the weekend of the first game (possibly in warm-ups). He went in IR the next day.

But he was pretty much a non-entity during this game, which isn't surprising given the lack of time with the offense.

EQ gets a mulligan like the rest of the team. He needs time to get into a rhythm with Rodgers and maybe he'll make some plays. But 1st game since December 2018. There was bound to be a bit of rust.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 21, 2020, 8:07 AM Post
Global Moderator
The opening story is pretty funny:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/301 ... -weirdness

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 21, 2020, 8:28 AM Post
homer said:

Everyone kinda knew Rodgers is an odd dude, but this really confirms it. Talk about a complete 180 personality-wise from Favre. With Favre, what you saw was what you got. There just wasn't a ton of depth there. I think when Rodgers hangs up the cleats in a few years, he's going to end of doing something completely off-the-wall, like go back to school to get a doctorate in neuroscience, or work for a think tank, or something along those lines. Or do something like he mentioned on his radio appearance yesterday, and take weird one-off film acting roles. There's no way he ends up doing anything in football. Dude is just wound a whole different way.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 21, 2020, 10:34 AM Post
I love Rodgers stories like this... to me it doesn't make him "weird", it makes him normal and more relatable. Maybe it's because we're the same age, seem to have similar love for 90's nostalgia and pop culture, love of history. But I identify with a guy like that more than say Favre...and I grew up idolizing Favre as a 90's kid and still love watching old highlights of both of them.

His weekly interviews on the Pat McAfee show are great, it's good to see him open up, and also read his facial expressions as he's talking because you can clearly see he's pretty much being sarcastic the entire time to McAfee and all the "boys" on the show and slightly jibs at their "bro culture" show and personalities.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 21, 2020, 2:14 PM Post
I would love to hear this weeks game mic’ed up.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 21, 2020, 7:37 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
homer said:

Everyone kinda knew Rodgers is an odd dude, but this really confirms it. Talk about a complete 180 personality-wise from Favre. With Favre, what you saw was what you got. There just wasn't a ton of depth there. I think when Rodgers hangs up the cleats in a few years, he's going to end of doing something completely off-the-wall, like go back to school to get a doctorate in neuroscience, or work for a think tank, or something along those lines. Or do something like he mentioned on his radio appearance yesterday, and take weird one-off film acting roles. There's no way he ends up doing anything in football. Dude is just wound a whole different way.

I agree...but he's also pretty confident in his ability to assess talent. I could see him coming back down the road and becoming a GM for a team. But he's definitely going to do some other stuff first.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 22, 2020, 1:01 AM Post
brewcrew79 said:
I love Rodgers stories like this... to me it doesn't make him "weird", it makes him normal and more relatable. Maybe it's because we're the same age, seem to have similar love for 90's nostalgia and pop culture, love of history. But I identify with a guy like that more than say Favre...and I grew up idolizing Favre as a 90's kid and still love watching old highlights of both of them.

His weekly interviews on the Pat McAfee show are great, it's good to see him open up, and also read his facial expressions as he's talking because you can clearly see he's pretty much being sarcastic the entire time to McAfee and all the "boys" on the show and slightly jibs at their "bro culture" show and personalities.

I am shocked that ARod goes on that show every week. I've never watched until recently (the last month or so), but he just doesn't fit with that group.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 22, 2020, 6:31 AM Post
Oxy said:
brewcrew79 said:

I am shocked that ARod goes on that show every week. I've never watched until recently (the last month or so), but he just doesn't fit with that group.

I think Rodgers is pretty self-realized. He knows he's a pretty big nerd, but judging by that pretend frat story in that ESPN article, he appreciates bro culture, too. McAfee being a former player probably helps, too. Rodgers knows he's not going to be blindsided with tough questions from a former punter, a linebacker he used to play with, and a couple fanboys.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 22, 2020, 8:13 AM Post
Global Moderator
I've always admired pro athletes that had intellectual pursuits outside of sports. Ray Allen is a gifted piano player. Kobe Bryant loved reading and spoke fluent Italian. Terry Crews painted portraits of teammates when he was in the NFL and later worked as a courtroom sketch artist (before he got into acting). I'm sure there are other examples.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 22, 2020, 11:10 AM Post
I enjoyed the Rodgers read (video was good too). Thanks for sharing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 22, 2020, 11:39 AM Post
I guess Washington signed Robert Foster off the Packers’ practice squad to their active roster. That’s disappointing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 22, 2020, 11:44 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:
I guess Washington signed Robert Foster off the Packers’ practice squad to their active roster. That’s disappointing.

I don't know if it is, though. Say what you want about the way the Packers evaluate WRs, but when you are bypassed for the active roster by the likes of Darrius Shepard, Reggie Begelton, and for that matter, Malik Taylor, it probably says more about you than it does them. (I say this as a big Begelton fan, and I hope he finds his way back to the roster).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 22, 2020, 11:49 AM Post
I’m not mad about Foster being signed ... just a little disappointed. Foster has an obvious upside and I was hoping the Packers would be able to stash him on the practice squad to develop or use in case of emergency.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 22, 2020, 12:51 PM Post
Global Moderator
Packers PR has alerted us that Robert Tonyan’s last name is pronounced “Tunyan,” as in rhyming with “Funion.”

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Packers 2020 team discussion
Posted: October 22, 2020, 7:25 PM Post
I was a real fan of the Pettine hire and had even higher hopes when Smith, Smith, Amos, Savage, and Gary were added. Now I am starting to think the 2021 Packers will have Dan Quinn as the DC, Preston Smith will be released, and the team will be running a 4-3. It isn't always a great choice to change coordinators (for example firing Donatell after the 4th and 26), but it may be time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 22, 2020, 7:33 PM Post
Global Moderator
homer said:
Packers PR has alerted us that Robert Tonyan’s last name is pronounced “Tunyan,” as in rhyming with “Funion.”

Feels like a good marketing campaign right there...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 23, 2020, 1:02 AM Post
balsamlaker said:
I was a real fan of the Pettine hire and had even higher hopes when Smith, Smith, Amos, Savage, and Gary were added. Now I am starting to think the 2021 Packers will have Dan Quinn as the DC, Preston Smith will be released, and the team will be running a 4-3. It isn't always a great choice to change coordinators (for example firing Donatell after the 4th and 26), but it may be time.

I don't know if they need to switch to a 4-3, I like the 3-4, but one of the reasons I really liked Pettine...was because he, like Belichick, was comfortable using both 4-3 and 3-4 looks. His defense is relatively vanilla and he's just not getting the job done.

As for Preston Smith...maybe you're right. He has 11 more games to get going. A big part of his lack of production IMO is obviously dropping him in coverage(he dropped more than any OLB'er through the first 3 games...not sure what the numbers are now). But he's also been less effective getting after the QB.

I do think a guy who gave you 12 sacks and 55 pressures just a year ago...they should be able to at least trade him, but that 8 million they'll save may be better used on Jones or King(or Linsley, but I think he's the most likely to go).

Kris Richard or Jim Leonhard could be interesting picks...though I'd hate to steal Jim Leonhard from the Badgers, I do think he's a future NFL coach, I think his system translates just fine to the NFL...and you don't have to change personnel.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next  [ 375 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply