LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next  [ 745 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Packers 2020 team discussion

Offline  Re: Packers 2020 team discussion

Posted: September 21, 2020, 9:19 AM Post
Man I'm surprised to see people going so hard on the defense. That defense got off the field a lot last year to save games. It's given up a bit of empty yardage but it's been decent for the most part. I think it's shown more than enough to inspire confidence it can evolve to being a top D by the end of the year which is all that matters. I don't put a lot of stock in defensive stats when a team is up 2-3 touchdowns. You can flip on any game and for whatever reason when that's the case, NFL teams seem to take their foot off the gas.

I mentioned the '14 team earlier but defense was also pretty meh most of the season. It wasn't until the end of the year it really became pretty good, to the point Seattle had 8 points in the 4th quarter of the NFCCG.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 21, 2020, 9:22 AM Post
adambr2 said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I mean, the team could still be a bit paper tigery but we should know soon. Minnesota got demolished again and the Lions lost to the Bears. At least we are running these teams out of building this year, not eeking out 4 point wins.

That was a really frustrating element from 2019. It was hard to ever really feel like we were good more than lucky. We won most of our games, but everything against every team seemed to come down to the wire.

More often than not that was due to the 2019 Packers offense not being able to dictate the flow of the game. So far this year that is markedly different.

14-4 and a lopsided game away from going to last year's Super Bowl IS way more good than lucky - they just weren't good enough in year 1 of a new offensive system. It was a weird season as a Packer fan because for so long we got used to having an injury-riddled but talented team with holes in key places that always led to the feeling of being shorthanded in the playoffs. In 2019 the real "luck" part to me was the roster mostly staying healthy throughout - but the frustrating part was seeing an offense with all its parts not being dominant with a healthy Rodgers leading it because he took a noteable step back in his level of play. It also was apparent their talent level wasn't where it needed to be on the outside due to a combination of personnel and experience. As others have stated, if MVS is a competent downfield threat and the TE personnel do a better job at catching the ball, this is a different offense than last season because of how balanced it can be - even if the WR room didn't get a huge addition.

On the flip side so far this year, I think the Vikings have a chance to be really bad and the Lions can't get out of their own way under Matt Patricia. I'm really looking forward to next Sunday night to see how they play against what appears to be another good Saints team before getting too optimistic on how a reasonably healthy season from this version of the Packers may wind up - thus far a seemingly healthy and rejuvenated Rodgers looks notably better moving within the pocket and getting the ball out on time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 21, 2020, 9:38 AM Post
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Man I'm surprised to see people going so hard on the defense. That defense got off the field a lot last year to save games. It's given up a bit of empty yardage but it's been decent for the most part. I think it's shown more than enough to inspire confidence it can evolve to being a top D by the end of the year which is all that matters. I don't put a lot of stock in defensive stats when a team is up 2-3 touchdowns. You can flip on any game and for whatever reason when that's the case, NFL teams seem to take their foot off the gas.

I mentioned the '14 team earlier but defense was also pretty meh most of the season. It wasn't until the end of the year it really became pretty good, to the point Seattle had 8 points in the 4th quarter of the NFCCG.

It's not just when they have a lead. The Lions went down and scored TDs on their first two drives. The Vikings did on their opening drive. So either they aren't coming out with any enthusiasm or the run defense is pretty bad. Once GB takes a decent lead and the other team is forced to throw that masks any run game weakness. We won't know for sure until they get into a close game.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 21, 2020, 9:51 AM Post
I wouldn't read too much into opening drives. There's been zero preseason, zero tape on the new personnel/scheme teams have going. If they are still getting steamrolled to start games in November I would be a bit more concerned about it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 21, 2020, 1:20 PM Post
This isn't just Packers-specific, but in general defenses appear to be getting dictated to early this year. It will be interesting tracking not only sack totals, but overall QB pressures per game on average. Taking crowd noise out of the NFL game gives a huge advantage to offensive lines getting great jumps on the snap, and it also puts Dlines on a passive footing against QBs that like to work a hard count.

The mix of blitzes that can't be disguised as easily, limited Oline false starts and even late starts at the snap that often lead to pressures or other offensive penalties, and the inability for Dlineman to get a jump on the snap for fear of hardcounts that can be used on basically every play are going to make it hard for defensive fronts to dominate the line of scrimmage and cause havoc in the backfield. There are many times when flipping through games that it looks more like 7 on 7 than a typical NFL game resembles.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 21, 2020, 5:51 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I wouldn't read too much into opening drives. There's been zero preseason, zero tape on the new personnel/scheme teams have going. If they are still getting steamrolled to start games in November I would be a bit more concerned about it.

I think they ARE getting steamrolled. They Lions were just running at them at will early yesterday. I thought the Lions did us a big favor when they started to come out on 1st downs throwing the ball(up 14-10 or within a score).

We're fine when they throw the ball. Still not playing great, but we look good enough and there's obvious room for growth.

When their OL is blowing our DL off the ball...then it's obvious nothing has changed from last year. They're bad up front with Clark, they're brutal without him.

But I do think that Gute will address that. He may not do it with a guy we've all heard of(though maybe he will). But at some point...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 22, 2020, 1:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
I don't know if anyone has listened to Pat McAfee's show but Aaron Rodgers is on there every Tuesday and it's pretty fricken hilarious. If you find their show on Twitter they tweet out all the good stuff. Great segment about the band Creed today.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Packers 2020 team discussion

Posted: September 22, 2020, 3:01 PM Post
I caught a clip of Rodgers on Pat McAffee’s show after Rob Demovsky tweeted about it. The bit about uniform numbers was amusing - they had a laugh about uncommon uniform numbers that are put into circulation for training camp due to the glut of extra bodies.

That got me thinking - what ‘long shot’ Packers have been assigned a different uniform number in the offseason or preseason only to ‘upgrade’ later?

Desmond Howard immediately comes to mind. He wore 22 in the preseason and then switched to 81 before Week 1.

An astute Twitter user pointed out that Donald Driver wore 13 in his first preseason before switching to 80. This was before it was common to see WR numbers in the teens.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 22, 2020, 3:05 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
I caught a clip of Rodgers on Pat McAffee’s show after Rob Demovsky tweeted about it. The bit about uniform numbers was amusing - they had a laugh about uncommon uniform numbers that are put into circulation for training camp due to the glut of extra bodies.

That got me thinking - what ‘long shot’ Packers have been assigned a different uniform number in the offseason or preseason only to ‘upgrade’ later?

Desmond Howard immediately comes to mind. He wore 22 in the preseason and then switched to 81 before Week 1.

An astute Twitter user pointed out that Donald Driver wore 13 in his first preseason before switching to 80. This was before it was common to see WR numbers in the teens.

Don Majkowski wore #5 his rookie year before switching to #7 in year two. Perhaps there might have been some outcry due to a low-round rookie wearing Hornung's # too.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 22, 2020, 4:39 PM Post
I have a Dorsey Levens rookie card from my youth where Levens is wearing a #48 practice jersey, but I don’t recall him ever wearing anything but #25 for the Packers in a game.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 22, 2020, 6:12 PM Post
homer said:
I don't know if anyone has listened to Pat McAfee's show but Aaron Rodgers is on there every Tuesday and it's pretty fricken hilarious. If you find their show on Twitter they tweet out all the good stuff. Great segment about the band Creed today.

I caught that. Rodgers made some comments that I'm sure people will dig through, but the one I found...interesting or positive was when he was asked if he has a different attitude this year(something to that affect) and he said he had. That in the past few months, he'd made some changes...that he was happy, how important it was for him to be around people he loved and good friends, and that he was having more fun playing Football.

I thought all along we'd struggle on offense last year and then be better this year. I did NOT see Aaron Rodgers resurgence. I was happy with him being a top ~5 QB that didn't have a ton of weapons on offense.

It's been a lot of fun to see Rodgers so accurate, to see these guys getting separation. MVS in particular, and to see this OL dominate the LOS.

I think the only reason people are so vocal about the DL and the urgency to address their depth along the DL is directly due to how talented this offense looks and how special they COULD be.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 23, 2020, 1:47 PM Post
I put my 4 year-old son on the Packers’ season ticket wait list after he was born. Since then, he’s moved up from ~134,000 to ~130,000. I doubt he ever makes it to the top, but it’s fun to get the postcard every year and laugh about it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 23, 2020, 2:49 PM Post
My 6 year old is a 100933. Started at 110,837 in 2014. Pretty sure seats were added in that timespan though. Your spot can also be transferred, so at some point, a nodakfan jr. will get a shot.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2020, 12:08 PM Post
14,404 for me. I have been on the list for 35 years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2020, 12:18 PM Post
I put my name on the list in 1974. Steadily moved up the ranks and then received the call in 2013. It takes some patience to wait that long but it can be done.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2020, 12:54 PM Post
I signed up along with my kids who are now 8/10 for the Club seats. Started at like 15000 and now at 6012. Don't want to sit in those cold bleacher seats when I am retired anyway.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2020, 1:26 PM Post
Global Moderator
We got on the list in '92 and got our tickets when they expanded the south end zone in 2013. We wanted the Green package but when the chance came to get the Gold we took it. I think we were like 20K when we signed up. Good timing as that was right before Holmgren's first year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 25, 2020, 3:07 PM Post
#151 on the Gold list. Should be soon [smile]

Got on the Full season list in 1993 and was offered to move to the Gold package 2 yrs ago.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 25, 2020, 5:52 PM Post
15K for me. Seems like it’ll never happen.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 28, 2020, 7:38 AM Post
Global Moderator
Remember Devin Funchess?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next  [ 745 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply