LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42  Next  [ 829 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Packers 2020 team discussion

Offline  Re: Packers 2020 team discussion

Posted: September 28, 2020, 8:49 AM Post
They seem way more legit this year than last. I was still a bit skeptical going into last night. But Rodgers looks as sharp/accurate as ever and the offense overall, scheme etc, looks totally different in a good way than last year. They should have a shot as long as he doesn't get hurt, but of course the NFC is not going to be easy to win with Sea, SF and some others.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 28, 2020, 9:00 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
They seem way more legit this year than last. I was still a bit skeptical going into last night. But Rodgers looks as sharp/accurate as ever and the offense overall, scheme etc, looks totally different in a good way than last year. They should have a shot as long as he doesn't get hurt, but of course the NFC is not going to be easy to win with Sea, SF and some others.

Agree, Rodgers looks like old, good Rodgers. Before the year I said I thought he'd still have a late career resurgence, but I didn't think they had the weapons on offense to do it this year.

They're stretching the field though, finally. And there's a nice balance of quick release and stuff over the top. The offense looks extremely good.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 28, 2020, 9:47 AM Post
homer said:
Remember Devin Funchess?

Who?

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 28, 2020, 2:54 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:

I agree with this too. Last year they were a paper tiger that I thought would carry over to this year, although I still thought they could get double digit wins because of the weak division we are in, and I am pleasantly surprised. Rodgers looked like his best days were behind him and he's now playing as well as he's ever had. If we can somehow shore up the run defense by trade or free agent signing, this team can go a long way.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 28, 2020, 3:46 PM Post
On another note, isn't it nice that after three weeks we have a three game lead and a victory over the Vikings? They're already dead in the water as far as division title contenders. Unfortunately they've also played themselves into the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes, and the thought of Lawrence in purple frightens me to no end.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 28, 2020, 5:52 PM Post
PinaMadness said:
On another note, isn't it nice that after three weeks we have a three game lead and a victory over the Vikings? They're already dead in the water as far as division title contenders. Unfortunately they've also played themselves into the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes, and the thought of Lawrence in purple frightens me to no end.

I don't think they could be as crappy as the Jets if they tried. Plus, many Viking fans told me Cousins was the answer, so that must mean they would teade the pick anyhow. [laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 28, 2020, 6:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
You would assume the Jets would take Lawrence even though they have Darnold but then again it's the Jets.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 28, 2020, 6:26 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
PinaMadness said:

I don't think they could be as crappy as the Jets if they tried. Plus, many Viking fans told me Cousins was the answer, so that must mean they would teade the pick anyhow. [laughing]

You're probably right but last year they started out as the worst team in football but won six of their last eight so you never know. The Giants are pretty bad too.

Last edited by PinaMadness on September 28, 2020, 6:30 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 28, 2020, 6:29 PM Post
homer said:
You would assume the Jets would take Lawrence even though they have Darnold but then again it's the Jets.

A team in need of a quarterback looking to trade up into the #1 spot would talk them into the trade, citing Darnold. Unfortunately for the Jets, Darnold is no Lawrence.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 28, 2020, 7:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
PinaMadness said:
homer said:

A team in need of a quarterback looking to trade up into the #1 spot would talk them into the trade, citing Darnold. Unfortunately for the Jets, Darnold is no Lawrence.

I think assuming the Jets trade down is assuming a lot. God it must suck to be a football fan in New York.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 28, 2020, 8:41 PM Post
homer said:
PinaMadness said:
homer said:

I think assuming the Jets trade down is assuming a lot. God it must suck to be a football fan in New York.

If they root for the right team, they've had two Super Bowl celebrations in the last 15 years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 28, 2020, 10:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
Giants have won 3, 5, and 4 games the last three seasons, they have a goober for a GM, and their best player just tore his ACL.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2020, 7:01 AM Post
If I'm the Jets I'm definitely taking Lawrence. Can anyone look at Darnold and say he's the QB who can get you to a SB?

Carolina will probably finish worse than Minnesota, too, and I can't imagine they're looking at Bridgewater as a long-term answer. If they grab Justin Fields that leaves Washington, Detroit and Minnesota to battle it out for that QB from North Dakota.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2020, 9:52 AM Post
GAME05 said:
If I'm the Jets I'm definitely taking Lawrence. Can anyone look at Darnold and say he's the QB who can get you to a SB?

Carolina will probably finish worse than Minnesota, too, and I can't imagine they're looking at Bridgewater as a long-term answer. If they grab Justin Fields that leaves Washington, Detroit and Minnesota to battle it out for that QB from North Dakota.

Maybe. I was at the Meadowlands when they played the Packers and I saw the arm strength, pocket awareness, feet. It's really hard to evaluate a QB when they're in a horrible situation like he's in. That said, I don't think they pass on Lawrence, nor would any of the other contenders for the #1 pick.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2020, 3:54 PM Post
Adam Gase is a quarterback killer. Darnold was fine until Gase came to town. Tannehill is playing the best ball of his career now. If the Jets get Lawrence, which I think they will, the Jets have to get rid of Gase. But I may be underestimating the incompetence of that organization.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2020, 5:20 PM Post
Good point on MN. Unfortunately the Bears have scraped their way to 3-0. GB doesn't play until end of Nov so we'll see how they do.

I'm taking Lawrence #1 no matter who I am, in regards to likely contenders for the pick. I suppose other than maybe Cin who just took a #1 overall last year. The rest of the teams will have had 2 years at least with whoever their young QB is and the team was still worst in the league. Lawrence will likely be considered the best/safest QB prospect since Luck, if not Manning. If I'm the Jets/Giants I take him and trade the other young guy for a later pick and call it a day. I'm actually one who doesn't think Darnold or the Giants QB suck too, I think they have a chance. But you can't pass on Lawrence.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 29, 2020, 5:42 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm not saying a team should NOT take Lawrence. They should. I'm saying the Jets are dumb enough to pass on him. And I also think they might just be dumb enough to keep the pick if they think they're going to pass on him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2020, 8:08 AM Post
Lawrence would have been the 1st overall pick in the previous two drafts had he been eligible to come out - whether or not he flames out in the NFL doesn't take away from the fact he's a transcendant talent for that position that teams just won't pass on. There are maybe a handful of NFL teams who wouldn't jump at the chance to take Lawrence had they had the 1st overall pick because they have their own franchise QB at the beginning or in the midst of their prime. KC, Baltimore, Seattle, Houston, maybe AZ - I honestly don't know if the list would or should go beyond that. The rest of them would draft Lawrence in a hot second if they had the opportunity to do so and worry about the fallout/succession plan later.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least for a team that is hardly ever in the top half of the draft making a big push to get the top overall pick in next year's draft - especially if the doormat team picking 1st overall has a young QB from a recent draft that they haven't yet given a full opportunity to develop. Just for kicks, I checked out the Patriots' situation related to their 2021 draft...Newton is on a 1-year deal, and they have 9 picks slated for 2021 that include 7 in the top 4 rounds due to compensatory picks for players leaving via free agency.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2020, 9:54 AM Post
Global Moderator
One thing that's sort of flown under the radar this season is how little the Packers have missed Bryan Bulaga, Iowa.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 30, 2020, 12:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
Yeah. They really built a solid o-line despite the loss of a good RT.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42  Next  [ 829 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply