LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 95 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Packers Transactions/Rumors thread...

Offline  Re: Packers Transactions/Rumors thread...

Posted: October 23, 2020, 11:51 PM Post
John Ross has now asked for a trade.

4.22 40, still just 24 years old. He's dynamic with the ball in his hands, he's an upcoming Free Agent...and while he's certainly been a bit of a bust at WR'er, he did put up back to back 100-yard games to open last season, then was injured, came back, and had two pretty good games toward the end of the year.

But in a previous post, I suggested the Packers try to acquire him for a 6th or a 7th round pick and his him in the role(at least in part) that Tyler Ervin is used in. He's not Antonio Brown, but I would think if the Packers could get the ball to him on some WR'er screens, Jet Sweeps or basically how we get the ball to Ervin now(imagine him going in motion, running that fake jet sweep and then running the wheel route...potentially getting him matched up against a safety or a LB'er with his 4.2 40...) he'd certainly add another aspect to our offense. Or at the very least someone else who can keep the defense honest using pre-snap motion.

He's also pretty damn capable in the return game, though he hasn't been used there in Cincy, likely because he was a top 10 pick and they've had excellent return men.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Packers Transactions/Rumors thread...

Posted: October 26, 2020, 9:49 AM Post
Rumors this morning that the Texans are entertaining multiple offers on several of their players. While the Wisconsin homers are going to be super excited about the possibility of J.J. Watt in a Packer uniform, the economics of that simply don't work. If I had to guess, though, I imagine that the Packers may end up with one of Will Fuller, Kenny Stills or Randall Cobb. Fuller would be the one I'm most excited about, but I think they probably end up flipping a 5th to the Texans for Cobb.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 9:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'd trade a mid-rounder for any of their receivers for sure.

You're right that Watt would be super exciting, but the finances just don't work.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 9:59 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'd take any of their top four receivers. Cooks was a 1200 yard receiver just two years ago and is only 27.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 10:57 AM Post
homer said:
I'd take any of their top four receivers. Cooks was a 1200 yard receiver just two years ago and is only 27.

He would be my first choice.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 1:11 PM Post
Always wonder why more NFL teams don't dump players fr draft picks more often. I get due to hard cap it will never be as common as the other sports, but still. We'll see if the Jags, Jets, Giants...all these really bad teams start making a bunch of players available. WR would be my first choice too, but if they could find a stud CB or Safety, that would work too. Even just another productive guy for the front 7 would help.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 1:33 PM Post
Carlos Dunlap wants out of Cincy too. Even put his house up for sale. I can't for the life of me understand why no one wants to play for the Bengals.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 1:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
FVBrewerFan said:
Even just another productive guy for the front 7 would help.

I'd really like them to make a move here if it is available. Lowry has been absolutely horrid, and Lancaster has been banged up though his play has been a bit better this year. They may like Keke and Adams, who both seem to be making strides this year, but I think one more d-line body would be very useful in fixing the broken run defense.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 2:12 PM Post
Global Moderator
I haven't been following the Packers that closely these past couple years, so correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the team come out and say last year that they didn't want to add a WR during the season because they wouldn't be able to learn the system in time to make an impact?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 2:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
thebruce44 said:
I haven't been following the Packers that closely these past couple years, so correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the team come out and say last year that they didn't want to add a WR during the season because they wouldn't be able to learn the system in time to make an impact?

In Brandin Cooks case he played for the Rams which run a system very similar to Green Bay's.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 2:42 PM Post
thebruce44 said:

I'm pretty sure that it's come out through various sources that they made plays for both Emmanuel Sanders and Robby Anderson at the trade deadline last year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 2:42 PM Post
homer said:
thebruce44 said:

In Brandin Cooks case he played for the Rams which run a system very similar to Green Bay's.

Plus, not sure if anyone from the Packers said that or not, but I don't believe it. Sure, there's a learning curve. But nothing that can't be learned in a couple weeks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 7:32 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
FVBrewerFan said:

I'd really like them to make a move here if it is available. Lowry has been absolutely horrid, and Lancaster has been banged up though his play has been a bit better this year. They may like Keke and Adams, who both seem to be making strides this year, but I think one more d-line body would be very useful in fixing the broken run defense.

The extension they gave to Dean Lowry was mystifying to me when they did it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 26, 2020, 8:17 PM Post
The Packers are bringing in veteran WR Seth Roberts, who was released by the Panthers earlier today. A source said the plan is to sign him to the practice squad initially. Roberts has 183 career receptions (15 TDs) for the Raiders, Ravens and Panthers.

"You're not going to have him when you want him and you're going to run out of games. He can't pitch 90 games. It's just not going to work. If anyone thinks it's going to work, show me how."- Craig Counsell on Josh Hader.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2020, 7:08 AM Post
PinaMadness said:
The Packers are bringing in veteran WR Seth Roberts, who was released by the Panthers earlier today. A source said the plan is to sign him to the practice squad initially. Roberts has 183 career receptions (15 TDs) for the Raiders, Ravens and Panthers.

Not an exciting signing, but Roberts is a guy who had some solid years with the Raiders, primarily playing out of the slot. This very much reminds me of the Ryan Grant signing from last year. Roberts does fit the mold of the WRs the Packers typically like, though, at 6'2", 200 lbs. He's also a solid blocker. He's basically replacing Robert Foster as the veteran presence on the practice squad who can step in should there be another injury to the WR corps. I don't expect Roberts to play any sort of pivotal role in the offense, though.

I don't think this signing is going to preclude them from continuing to look at the trade market to bring in another weapon, either.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2020, 7:34 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
PinaMadness said:

Not an exciting signing, but Roberts is a guy who had some solid years with the Raiders, primarily playing out of the slot. This very much reminds me of the Ryan Grant signing from last year. Roberts does fit the mold of the WRs the Packers typically like, though, at 6'2", 200 lbs. He's also a solid blocker. He's basically replacing Robert Foster as the veteran presence on the practice squad who can step in should there be another injury to the WR corps. I don't expect Roberts to play any sort of pivotal role in the offense, though.

I don't think this signing is going to preclude them from continuing to look at the trade market to bring in another weapon, either.

He's a nice signing. There has to be something with Foster. Maybe he can't pick up the playbook quickly or didn't earn Rodgers trust as a route runner, but he had the size, athletic ability, he'd looked good in limited playing times early in his career. To let him leave for another team's practice squad is a little confusing unless something's just not clicking.

The Packers offense was a little troubling to me vs the Texans. Rodgers was throwing to Adams pretty much every play. And that works vs teams like the Texans, but they had little pre-snap motion and looked like they beat them just because they were more talented. Which we've seen, doesn't work against really good teams.

I know Tyler Ervin will be back, but I think you have to have someone else who can do the same things he can. I've suggested John Ross...hopefully we can grab him. Otherwise, someone like Curtis Samuel who's now playing RB for the Panthers would be a nice target. Another guy with great speed and who's good if you can get the ball in his hands. 4.3 40, he's going to be an URFA this off-season and I can't imagine he's got a lot of use to the Panthers as they rebuild and they've got C-Mac coming back this week and Mike Davis has been very good this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2020, 7:39 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
PeaveyFury said:
FVBrewerFan said:

The extension they gave to Dean Lowry was mystifying to me when they did it.

It made sense to me at the time. I thought Lowry was just coming on...that has not been the case. He's awful.

FYI, the Jets are reportedly looking for a 2nd round pick to move Williams. Now the Packers 2nd round pick may not entice them, but a 2nd+5th may be enough to get it done.
I just believe that guy is going to be an All-Pro, especially if he's playing with good edge players and next to Kenny Clark. I really hope that's the priority.

It's too early to say if Kamal Martin has fixed the MLB'er issues, but I thought he looked really good last year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 27, 2020, 12:22 PM Post
Packers tried to acquire Zach Ertz.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... 7613437419

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2020, 1:07 AM Post
adambr2 said:
Packers tried to acquire Zach Ertz.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... 7613437419

Well damn...that's at least encouraging. That they're looking at some of these players to try and upgrade the roster.

Hopefully, they continue to do so.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 28, 2020, 6:28 AM Post
Glad we didn't get Ertz...have we not learned a single thing the past decade? Flashy TE names on the decline aren't very productive, Ertz was incredibly unimpressive before he went down.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 95 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply