LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next  [ 378 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Game 5: Packers @ Buccaneers - Sunday, October 18th, 3:25PM

Offline  Re: Game 5: Packers @ Buccaneers - Sunday, October 18th, 3:25PM
Posted: October 19, 2020, 7:54 AM Post
HiAndTight said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
It wasn't so much a matter of keeping track as it was you never stopped announcing your decision. I double checked to make sure it was you though and let's just say it wasn't hard to find the announcements.

Signing Brady and Gronk brought you back but you're a diehard since day one...ok.

Well...that's kinda the definition. Diehard does mean "as long as everything is lined up perfectly," right?

HA! You obviously don't know me and the lengths I have gone to be a Bucs fan...

The idea that anyone can question my fandom is funny if you actually know me... I have backed my team through good and bad for 40+ years, and believe me, the bad times far outnumber the good. It has never been easy wearing Bucs gear in WI, but I have always done so, and will continue as long as I walk this earth.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 7:56 AM Post
turborickey said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
It wasn't so much a matter of keeping track as it was you never stopped announcing your decision. I double checked to make sure it was you though and let's just say it wasn't hard to find the announcements.

Signing Brady and Gronk brought you back but you're a diehard since day one...ok.

Correct, die hard since day one, then the political side of things stepped in and I stopped watching. Still followed the team though, just stopped watching all together.

Thanks again for keeping track of my fandom, glad I can keep you busy.

Lol. Dude, if you can't see the humor in this, that's on you. In about 8 seconds, one can find 10 posts of you whining about the NFL. It is the only breath in which you mentioned NFL football for the last several years. Nobody had to "keep track."

Here is you, 2 hours before Week 1 kickoff, saying you don't watch the NFL anymore:

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=39908&p=1313941&hilit=NFL#p1313941

Here you are, saying the day a player kneeled was your last day watching the NFL:

viewtopic.php?f=156&t=39639&p=1301710&hilit=NFL#p1301710

BUT, now that your favorite team signed Tom Brady, that's all forgiven, and you use a Packers GT to randomly gloat in the first acknowledgment in years that the NFL actually isn't "dead to you." So, either one of two things is true:

1) You aren't a die-hard fan since 1977.

2) The kneeling wasn't that important to you. The team just sucked.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 7:59 AM Post
lol

Obsession sets in...

dude *sigh* Brady brought me back to the NFL, I had to see what would would happen. Like so many others that gave up on the NFL and came back for whatever reason, Brady was my reason.

I know a lot of people who claimed to leave the NFL but came back 3 weeks later, or the next season. I stuck to my word for 3 years, and it took a pretty big deal to bring me back. I used to watch every game that was on tv, no matter who was playing, I now only watch Bucs games. I'm back, but in a limited manner.

Carry on, if you want, I can give you some more quotes so you have something to post 2 months from now...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:01 AM Post
I think I'm justifiably calling out something funny. One side of your mouth can't believe why anyone would question your hardcore fandom while the the other side was saying you'd never watch a football game again, 30 days ago. It's funny. Sorry.

You really can't see why anyone would 'question your fandom'? I mean really?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:10 AM Post
Global Moderator
As much as I just want to ignore football altogether in the few days after a loss, I figure it worthy to put together some thoughts anyway:

1)Obviously, they're not going to win all 16 regular season games, but that doesn't make an ugly loss like that any less painful. I do believe that you can learn more about yourselves as a team from a loss than you can from a win, so hopefully they are able to learn and fix. But wow, do their losses seem horrendous on the rare occasions that they've happened.
2)I think it's disappointing that yet again in the second season under MLF, the Packers came out ultra-flat out of a bye. I said two weeks ago that the bye came at a good time for the team from an injury standpoint, but I do think that a team on a roll like they were would have had more benefit from a later bye. Still, you have to wonder about why they lay an egg like that.
3)Related, I appreciate hearing 'bad week of practice' and such, but still, WTH? First concerns about 'behavior on the west coast trips' last year, now ugly practices out of the bye. A little concerning. Once is an anomaly, twice is the start of a trend.
4)A lot has been noted about the team's success with Adams off the field. I won't in any way advocate that the team is better off without one of the best receivers in the league, but I do think our QB's play is better overall without him. At least one of the INTs yesterday was due to forcing the ball into Davante when the window just wasn't there, and the pick six was even worse- forcing the ball into a window that wasn't there on a route destined to result in a pick six if the ball doesn't get to the receiver. He has to be better at taking what's there, whether the receiver has Adams on the back of his jersey or otherwise.
5)I don't think the Buccaneers are anything close to favorites in the NFC, but I'm confident this won't look like an ugly loss to a bad team at the end of the year. The defense is very good, and likely the best we've played thus far by a large margin, and the offense seems to be starting to click. No reason to think they won't be a playoff team come January.
6)Why does it feel like the team has problems in a particular building? Raymond James has been an ugly place for the Packers to play, seemingly back to the days of Sherman/Favre. It's like the Metrodome through most of Favre's career. It just seems like we lay an egg here, regardless of how good the level of competition is.
7)All of the points about the team's response to adversity are very fair, IMO. It seems like the blueprint for beating us is to A) have a defense good enough to knock us out of our desired offensive gameplan, and B)get us down big, as we can't seem to come back from a significant deficit anymore. TB certainly did a good job on both of those points. Jones was a complete non-factor, which is saying something. They have to figure out how to adjust when the offensive game plan gets disrupted like that.
8)The annoying thing is that it wasn't really TB that put us out of our game plan, it was two terrible turnovers. 10-0 lead with the ball. You really have to wonder how much differently this game looks if we just control the ball.
9)Beyond all of that, not much good to point to. I guess Krys Barnes seemed to be all over the field defensively. Beyond that and that it sounds like Bakh and Tonyan both avoided any kind of serious injury, there wasn't anything else I can point to as a positive from this game.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Game 5: Packers @ Buccaneers - Sunday, October 18th, 3:25PM
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:12 AM Post
About 5 years ago, I saw a guy in a Wisconsin bar with a Houston Texans neck tattoo. It just struck me as odd that loyalty to a recent expansion team would run that deep.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:13 AM Post
I actually thought the 2nd pick was fine, Rodgers makes a lot of those throws. That was an amazing play from the defender and then it bounced, anything can happen on those. I think it was Davis; he had to make a hell of a play to get his hand in there and he did with little to no contact.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Game 5: Packers @ Buccaneers - Sunday, October 18th, 3:25PM
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:14 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:

Here is you, 2 hours before Week 1 kickoff, saying you don't watch the NFL anymore:

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=39908&p=1313941&hilit=NFL#p1313941

I'm just glad I got to click on that and see my post of "Sogard go away" once again. Made me chuckle. Anyways, carry on...

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:25 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
adambr2 said:
I can't just chalk this up to a bad day at the office. Not until we see us even compete in these types of games.. We haven't lost many games in the MLF era. But it is becoming a bit disturbing how poorly things escalate for us any time we face adversity.

Bad things happen to NFL teams and it is important to remain composed and respond positively. Seemingly any time the tide turns against us, we absolutely crumble. I don't know if this just speaks to poor player leadership, a lack of adjustments, fear, or just a few bad incidences of circumstance, but it happened in San Diego, it happened twice in San Francisco, and it happened again yesterday. When we face adversity, we get absolutely crushed. There shouldn't be any reason for the sudden non-competiveness, but it is happening nonetheless. We moved the ball just fine in Q1 yesterday and then when things went wrong it's like watching an entirely different team.

We also haven't done anything to change the narrative that a team with an elite defensive front, stout pass rushers and a decent ground attack can completely control a game against us.

I think they'll win next week. I think they'll win a lot of games this year. But the potential for this type of game in January against this type of team isn't going to go away, even if we win 13 or 14 games.

This team had plenty of close games and adversity on their way to 13 wins last year. The majority of those wins were close and ugly. It's just that we seem to remember those that didn't go their way, and those that, for whatever reason, they let get away from them in a major way.

There is no dominant team this year. I think any team can beat any other team at any time. The team that avoids mistakes and costly turnovers typically wins. The Packers couldn't do that yesterday, and they ended up getting curbstomped. How they respond now is the important thing.

I guess to me there is a difference between playing in close games and rallying from adversity. Yeah, they played in close games last year. About the only time I saw them face some real adversity and respond positively in 2019 was against the Detroit Lions and that speaks more to how bad of an organization the Detroit Lions are than anything positive we did.

We're a good football team, but perhaps more than any other team in the league it seems that we are quite susceptible to bad matchups that force us out of our gameplan. One aspect of a Mike McCarthy offense was that things seemed to go brilliantly for us as long as we were able to stick to the script and didn't have to adjust or improvise. It doesn't feel like that has changed much.

Coming into yesterday I believed it had. I felt that Rodgers was playing at an MVP level again and there wasn't a defense in the NFL that was going to stop our offense from rolling, especially in this era of NFL where defense is more just slowing down the opponent than stopping them.

Obviously, I was wrong. So I'm definitely quite a bit less optimistic about our chances to go to the Super Bowl than I was 24 hours ago.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:29 AM Post
I don't really but that 'adversity' is a problem. But it's hard to ignore they fold against very physical teams. It's been their m.o. for years under many coaches and they've done nothing to help it under MLF. Once Tampa adjusted to our opening sequences on both sides, they absolutely owned us. That was the 2018 Packers after the first pick.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:35 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I don't really but that 'adversity' is a problem. But it's hard to ignore they fold against very physical teams. It's been their m.o. for years under many coaches and they've done nothing to help it under MLF. Once Tampa adjusted to our opening sequences on both sides, they absolutely owned us. That was the 2018 Packers after the first pick.

It is my hope that the team we saw on the field yesterday was an aberration, and not what is representative of what we'll see on the field come January. If they come out looking flat again against an inferior opponent in the Texans next week, I'll be concerned. This is the first real adversity this team has had this year. I expect them to come out with guns blazing next Sunday.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:39 AM Post
I dunno. Blowing out HOU won't really do much to change my perception. That's exactly what everyone expects them to be. If they play well in SF and Indy I'd be a bit more at ease. Until they beat one of these defense-first physical, fast teams, it's a valid concern.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:41 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

It is my hope that the team we saw on the field yesterday was an aberration, and not what is representative of what we'll see on the field come January. If they come out looking flat again against an inferior opponent in the Texans next week, I'll be concerned. This is the first real adversity this team has had this year. I expect them to come out with guns blazing next Sunday.

I don't really care how they look against inferior opponents. They've proven they can beat inferior opponents. I'm more concerned how they look against defenses that can make them uncomfortable. They could win in Houston 42-10 next week and it wouldn't make me feel better about yesterday.

Go into San Francisco on November 5th, move the ball effectively and win, then that would be a development.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:42 AM Post
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I dunno. Blowing out HOU won't really do much to change my perception. That's exactly what everyone expects them to be. If they play well in SF and Indy I'd be a bit more at ease. Until they beat one of these defense-first physical, fast teams, it's a valid concern.

It seems like the Packers historically have struggled to beat the 'teams they're supposed to beat', especially after a deflating loss like this last one. I think beating Houston and looking competent while doing so shows that under MLF, this team will at least take care of business as they're expected to.

But yeah, sooner or later you need to beat a good defensive team on the road.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:45 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:

I get that, but at the same time, you just need to beat the teams on your schedule, one at a time. Kinda hard to look down the road at weeks 8 and 10. A lot can change between now and then. San Fran has had so many injuries this season, who knows who is even going to be available for that game?

I'd argue that the Packers already have a win on their record against a tough, fast, physical defense in the Saints.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 8:48 AM Post
I don't even need them to win. Just stop losing by 30 to these teams. Make them sweat in the 4th quarter.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 9:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
Some perspective:

https://twitter.com/DustyEvely/status/1 ... 4720249857

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 9:50 AM Post
One of the replies to that post gets into the weird DL dropping into coverage theme. They need to abandon that, last week. We had a 3-man rush going on Tom Brady where Preston Smith and Montravius Adams, 304-lb Montravius Adams, dropped into pass coverage.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 10:10 AM Post
The offense did him no favors but Mike Pettine was an absolute dud yesterday. The defensive gameplan just flat out sucked. You have the most immobile QB in football and not only do you not scheme anything to pressure him, you don't even try to force him out of the pocket.

The most alarming play was that 3rd and goal from the 8, dropping 8 into coverage. Tom Brady has been around way too long to do that, you give him that much time and he is going to find a hole in the zone.

I am not saying we need to play cover 0 every play, but my goodness, you have a good secondary, trust them. Let your secondary cover and your pass rushers do what they do and stop scheming guys into roles that set them up for failure.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 19, 2020, 10:13 AM Post
I think it's fair to say the DC is a hot seat, especially considering he was not a MLF guy.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next  [ 378 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply