LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 57 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Wisconsin vs. Illinois game thread

Offline  Re: Wisconsin vs. Illinois game thread

Posted: October 23, 2020, 7:34 PM Post
wildcat83 said:
I don’t think Mr. Coan will be getting his job back. What a first half for Mertz.

Maybe he'll get it back after next year when mertz is the number one pick in the draft.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 7:34 PM Post
Graham
Freakin
Mertz

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 7:36 PM Post
nate82 said:
Brew4U said:
Time to turn the page on the conservative playbook and realize you have a stud back there. Cut er loose already!

Don't have the WR's to do that unfortunately.

Huh???

They bring back two established vets with Davis and Pryor, have a really good receiving back in Groshek, an above average TE in Ferguson, and some highly praised young guys at WR. Seems like one of the deepest receiving groups we’ve had in a long time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 7:37 PM Post
Brew4U said:
It still ticks me off that Coan (who is a normally fine Badger QB) played over him last year but even more so that the Badgers were going to start him over this kid this season. Absolute madness.

Coan would start for all but about 15 DI schools. He's a very good QB... but Mertz is just a whole 'nother level.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 7:39 PM Post
Brew4U said:
It still ticks me off that Coan (who is a normally fine Badger QB) played over him last year but even more so that the Badgers were going to start him over this kid this season. Absolute madness.

I really wanted Mertz to start the Big 10 title game. Just felt like they had nothing to lose.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 7:40 PM Post
I heard the announcers say that Mertz is a life long Packers fan. Hadn't heard that before. Something additional to like about him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 7:41 PM Post
LouisEly said:
Brew4U said:

Coan would start for all but about 15 DI schools. He's a very good QB... but Mertz is just a whole 'nother level.

Sorry but this isn’t true. Top 15? No way. Either way, this Mertz guy wouldnt be playing even though anyone with eyeballs can see that he’s clearly the superior player.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 7:42 PM Post
wildcat83 said:
I don’t think Mr. Coan will be getting his job back. What a first half for Mertz.

I've taken to calling him Coan-y Pipp ever since the injury.
While I expected Mertz to be good....I didn't expect this good this quickly.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 7:46 PM Post
Patrick Mahomes is tweeting about him, I think he’s drawn some attention, lol.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 7:50 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Sorry but this isn’t true. Top 15? No way. Either way, this Mertz guy wouldnt be playing even though anyone with eyeballs can see that he’s clearly the superior player.

He was tied for 19th in the nation (with Sam Ehlinger) last year in passer rating, and at least four of the guys ahead of him are in the NFL. Only Fields and Morgan in the Big Ten were ahead of him and if Coan was on Minnesota I'd bet he would start over Morgan. Put Coan in Minnesota's offense and he'd have better numbers than Morgan.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 8:01 PM Post
LouisEly said:
Brew4U said:

He was tied for 19th in the nation (with Sam Ehlinger) last year in passer rating, and at least four of the guys ahead of him are in the NFL. Only Fields and Morgan in the Big Ten were ahead of him and if Coan was on Minnesota I'd bet he would start over Morgan. Put Coan in Minnesota's offense and he'd have better numbers than Morgan.

Sorry. Just don’t buy it. His passer rating was boosted by a very conservative passing attack that allowed for a higher completion percentage than if he would’ve been asked to throw the ball. I don’t think Coan is/was terrible. He just isn’t in the upper echelon of college QBs. This guy playing tonight will be. And it was a farce that he would’ve been held back by this coaching staff.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 8:02 PM Post
That's a enough of the Jack Dunn wide receiver screen for the evening.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 8:12 PM Post
The oline and RBs have looked pretty bad.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 8:13 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Sorry. Just don’t buy it. His passer rating was boosted by a very conservative passing attack that allowed for a higher completion percentage than if he would’ve been asked to throw the ball. I don’t think Coan is/was terrible. He just isn’t in the upper echelon of college QBs. This guy playing tonight will be. And it was a farce that he would’ve been held back by this coaching staff.

The conservative offense hurt him as much as it helped him because yards and TDs are a big component of passer rating.

I watch enough college football to see that for all but about 15 or so teams he would start. You only see the big-time schools on national TV, and other than those top 15 schools he's as good or better than anybody else. Please name who he wouldn't start for, at least in the Big Ten.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 8:14 PM Post
worm81 said:
The oline and RBs have looked pretty bad.

+1....oline in particular getting pushed around quite a bit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 8:23 PM Post
They have no one carrying the ball that can break a tackle.
That was one of the things that made Taylor so special is that in the open field it was rare when one guy could bring him down.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 8:25 PM Post
LouisEly said:
Brew4U said:

The conservative offense hurt him as much as it helped him because yards and TDs are a big component of passer rating.

I watch enough college football to see that for all but about 15 or so teams he would start. You only see the big-time schools on national TV, and other than those top 15 schools he's as good or better than anybody else. Please name who he wouldn't start for, at least in the Big Ten.

Ohio State
Penn State
Minnesota

He’s probably right around the QB from Michigan.

I think the homerism is showing true here.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 8:39 PM Post
He was slightly better than Clifford last year, and neither Clifford nor Morgan had Jonathan Taylor in the backfield taking away passing attempts. I'd still argue that if you put Coan in Minnesota's offense he'd outplay Morgan - just re-watch the Minnesota game last year and Coan outplayed Morgan by a mile. It wasn't even close.

Give Coan two NFL WRs and no Jonathan Taylor and he'd blow away Morgan. And Michigan's QBs are terrible. McCaffrey may be better if he develops, but sure isn't right now.

Last edited by LouisEly on October 23, 2020, 8:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 8:42 PM Post
LouisEly said:
He was slightly better than Clifford last year, and neither Clifford nor Morgan had Jonathan Taylor in the backfield taking away passing attempts. I'd still argue that if you put Coan in Minnesota's offense he'd outplay Morgan - just re-watch the Minnesota game last year and Coan outplayed Morgan by a mile. It wasn't even close.

Give Coan two NFL WRs and no Jonathan Taylor and he'd blow away Morgan.

One would argue that Taylor helped him. Teams loaded the box and allowed Coan to have more success. Couple that with a lot of safer type throws and you get yourself a Badger QB. I think he’s on the higher end of the Badger QB spectrum. Just not nearly as high as you are with him nationally. Never happy about an injury but this one comes close. It was a shame that Coan was just going to be handed the job for a second season in a row.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 23, 2020, 8:53 PM Post
Last two drives the running game looked like it wore out the IL front. No homeruns but they consistently got push up front. Solid 4th quarter for that group after being held in check early.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 57 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply