LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next  [ 347 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers Maryvale Spring Training Lease

Offline  Brewers Maryvale Spring Training Lease

Posted: February 15, 2012, 5:21 PM Post
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120215&content_id=26697806&vkey=news_mil&c_id=mil

Looks like the Brewers are at the crossroads for their Spring Training home. I for one hope they partner with the A's or some other team in Arizona and get a new facility built. For those of you who haven't been to Maryvale, the stadium is nice but the surrounding area and the amenities on site are awful. Now when compared to the Royals and Rangers in Surprise, the Reds and Indians in Goodyear, the Dodgers and White Sox in Glendale, the Rockies and Diamondbacks at Talking Stick and the Padres and Mariners in Peoria, the Brewers facility really leaves a lot to be desired.

Love that living in California I can make the relatively short drive to Spring Training to see the Crew but I will only go to games from now on at other team's facilities. I hope the Brewers do not move to Florida but I won't go see them again in Maryvale. Hoping they do get a new complex with the A's as McCalvy mentioned.

Offline  Re: Brewers Maryvale Spring Training Lease

Posted: February 15, 2012, 6:47 PM Post
I like the Maryvale facility, but you're right that the area it's in is awful. The A's really need a park. I was there last year and it an embarrassment of a facility. I hope that the stay in AZ as well.

Posted: February 15, 2012, 7:19 PM Post
the most common criticism of Maryvale Baseball Park, it's location in a hardscrabble part of Phoenix.

That is a nice way to say a bad area. I drove by the area and I would only go to games during the day and would leave well before it turned to dusk. I definitely wouldn't do anything other than going to the game in that area of Phoenix. I will also be only going to Brewer games when they play in Peoria, Goodyear, Scottsdale (near where I work), and Surprise. I probably wont go to many if any at Maryvale.

Offline  Re: Brewers Maryvale Spring Training Lease -- Latest: Talking to Scottsdale about new facility

Posted: February 15, 2012, 8:04 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
What was the rationale behind building the current facility in Maryvale? Ever since I can remember the location and amenities have been criticized.

Offline  Re: Brewers Maryvale Spring Training Lease -- Latest: Talking to Scottsdale about new facility

Posted: February 15, 2012, 8:08 PM Post
The D-Backs/White Sox facility is amazing.

Posted: February 15, 2012, 9:11 PM Post
Global Moderator
jerichoholicninja said:

I think you mean Diamondbacks/Rockies. Went their last year for a Brewers-Rockies game, and was extremely impressed.

Posted: February 15, 2012, 9:54 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Eye Black at Night said:
jerichoholicninja said:

I think you mean Diamondbacks/Rockies. Went their last year for a Brewers-Rockies game, and was extremely impressed.

The ChiSox share their (very well-recieved) facility with the Dodgers, another NL West team name that starts with "D"... so jerichoholic could've meant that, too [smile]

Posted: February 15, 2012, 10:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
Maybe the Brewers could renovate Compadre Stadium

....okay, probably not.

Posted: February 15, 2012, 11:05 PM Post
TooLiveBrew said:
Eye Black at Night said:
jerichoholicninja said:

The ChiSox share their (very well-recieved) facility with the Dodgers, another NL West team name that starts with "D"... so jerichoholic could've meant that, too [smile]

Ya, I meant Dodgers/White Sox. Not sure why I thought D-Backs.

Posted: February 15, 2012, 11:26 PM Post
Last year I went around to 5 different stadiums, all of which I liked better than Maryvale. I really hope the Brewers get a new facility. The D'Backs/Rockies facility is outstanding. That one was my favorite by far.

Posted: February 16, 2012, 7:25 AM Post
Global Moderator
I don't really want to start this topic over here, but do we have a thread on suggestions of things to do at Spring Training (food, places to stay, golf, etc..)? Wife and I are looking in to going down there potentially.

Posted: February 16, 2012, 7:37 AM Post
Warning Track Power said:
I hope the Brewers do not move to Florida but I won't go see them again in Maryvale.

Really? My family and I have been going down to Spring Training every year for the past 9 or 10 years (with the exception of last year) and I always thought the criticiszm of Maryvale was way overblown. We go for a week each year and go to every Brewer game (home or away) while we are there. We have never had any issues at all at Maryvale and while the surrounding neighborhood is not great it's not like it's East St. Louis or Chicago's south side or something like that. Maybe I'm naive, but I have never felt in danger at all while driving to the park, nor have I feared that my car would be stolen or broken into while at the game.

edit: By the way...where is the spell check on this new site?

Posted: February 16, 2012, 7:47 AM Post
Global Moderator
We've had this discussion regarding Maryvale many times before around here. No, it's not a festering third world ghetto, but it isn't anywhere I'd feel comfortable walking around at night. You can tell it's an economically depressed area. When you drive out of the Maryvale parking lot, there's homeless people along the median begging for money, etc. There really isn't anything to do around the stadium, either. No real restaurants, etc. It's simply just not the best location for an MLB facility, and I don't think there's any real argument about it. Plus, while the park is decent, but pales in comparison to the amenities at the newer ballparks around the area. It's basically a bare bones ballpark, and that's it.

I think my favorite when we visited a couple years ago was the new Dodgers/White Sox ballpark. Beautiful park, plenty of parking, wide seats (almost ridiculously so), and good shops and food.

Not to go on a rant, but the food at Maryvale basically sucks compared to the offerings at the other parks.

As far as stuff to do, if you're the adventurous type, there's the Apache Trail. I recommend having a solid vehicle and bringing plenty of water, though.

Posted: February 16, 2012, 7:55 AM Post
Personally I would like the Brewers to have spring trainning in Florida, I would rather go to the beach than look at catcus or the mountains.

Posted: February 16, 2012, 9:03 AM Post
Global Moderator
I would like to see the Brewers in Florida as well.

The old Dodgertown campus in Vero Beach is an awesome place, though it would take quite a bit of money to bring it up to modern standards.

Maybe MLB would be willing to spring for those costs. It would be a shame to lose that great historic place.

Posted: February 16, 2012, 9:03 AM Post
Global Moderator
I would like to see the Brewers in Florida as well.

The old Dodgertown campus in Vero Beach is an awesome place, though it would take quite a bit of money to bring it up to modern standards.

Maybe MLB would be willing to spring for those costs. It would be a shame to lose that great historic place.

Posted: February 16, 2012, 11:02 AM Post
Patrick425 said:
Warning Track Power said:
I hope the Brewers do not move to Florida but I won't go see them again in Maryvale.

Really? My family and I have been going down to Spring Training every year for the past 9 or 10 years (with the exception of last year) and I always thought the criticiszm of Maryvale was way overblown. We go for a week each year and go to every Brewer game (home or away) while we are there. We have never had any issues at all at Maryvale and while the surrounding neighborhood is not great it's not like it's East St. Louis or Chicago's south side or something like that. Maybe I'm naive, but I have never felt in danger at all while driving to the park, nor have I feared that my car would be stolen or broken into while at the game.

Invader pretty much summed up my opinion on the place. The park itself is nice and a wonderful place to watch a game. However, even though the park is nice, it pales in comparison to most of the other parks in the Cactus League. Once the Cubs get their new stadium built in Tempe, the A's, Angels and Brewers will be in the oldest stadiums and Tempe Diablo is still pretty nice.

As for Maryvale, the gift shop and food are terrible. There is no restaurant, bar or entertainment within walking distance (not that I would walk anywhere in that neighborhood). Its just a terrible location for the ballpark.

Posted: February 16, 2012, 11:43 AM Post
I guess I don't mind Maryvale at all because I hate crowds [smile] Also, I'm just going to go where the Brewers are playing anyways. I'm not going to watch another game between two other teams because I don't like Maryvale (don't really understand that concept?). We don't stay near Maryvale, but I find getting around Phoenix to be pretty easy, even during rush hour (love the car pool lanes!). So, the fact that there are not places to eat around Maryvale does not bother us at all.

I absolutely hate games at HoHoKam (Cubs site). Overcrowded. We generally like to sit in the OF grass at the games. Fans at HoHoKam don't seem to get the idea that their bodies are not transparent. There are always a handfull of yahoos who will stand at the wall in the outfield. A security person will go and half heartidly shu them away and tell them they have to sit down. Soon as he/she walks away they are back at the wall standing up. Half the people never see one play in the game. I realize it's spring training and it's about socializing and soaking in some sun, but why spend money on a ticket? I'm sure there are other places in AZ where you can sit outside, socialize, and enjoy a drink.

The other park that I don't like is the A's park...no outfield berm.

I'll agree that some of the other stadiums are very nice, but I still don't think Maryvale is that bad.

edit: I also like that at Maryvale you can go early and watch the minor leaguers (and sometimes the major leaguers) work out on the auxillary diamonds.

Posted: February 16, 2012, 12:06 PM Post
Well its called "Murdervale" or "Scaryvale" for a reason. During the day you are fine to go to a game there but at night its not a place to venture out into..which is why there are never night games scheduled there. That being said, I would love nothing more if they built a new facility up in North Phoenix/Anthem area (closer to me lol) plus its a developing area with retail/food options near by.

Posted: February 16, 2012, 1:04 PM Post
I've heard a lot about how bad the neighborhood is. I've only been there during the day and like everyone else I've never seen a problem but if the neighborhood is really that bad shouldn't the team have moved somewhere else by now? Isn't it a risk to have one of your players robbed, stabbed, murdered, etc. walking to their car.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next  [ 347 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply