LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 102 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Tim Tebow pursuing baseball career

Offline  Re: Tim Tebow pursuing baseball career

Posted: August 30, 2016, 5:21 PM Post
Certainly a long shot for him but if he wants to try good for him

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow ... story.html

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2016, 8:25 PM Post
markedman5 said:
Best of luck,to Tim.....

"Tim Tebow work out was certainly good enough that someone will give him a chance. Running and Power were his... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0 ... 60609629-4

https://twitter.com/taylorblakeward/sta ... 2731255808
NL scout on gave serious praise to Tim Tebow, "That raw power is irreplaceable," asked him to grade his power, "80"

80 is the max, which is quite a difference from the 55 that Bowden reported.

Most of what I've seen reported is classic Tebow. Off the charts athletic ability that doesn't translate to consistency on the field.

I think his best athletic venue would be WWE. And I'm just partially joking. He's got the athletic ability to make it work, and should be able to work the mic with no issues. He'd make an incredible heel with potential to turn face.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 31, 2016, 8:47 AM Post
Global Moderator
“It was a complete waste of time,’’ said an American League scout, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about his assessment. “It was like watching an actor trying to portray a baseball player."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ml ... /89611816/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 31, 2016, 12:31 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
“It was a complete waste of time,’’ said an American League scout, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about his assessment. “It was like watching an actor trying to portray a baseball player."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ml ... /89611816/

Some scouts are saying he looked ok, some are saying he looked terrible. It's tough to take anything away from that. Unlike most others, I hope he makes it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 02, 2016, 10:41 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'm not a big league scout (or even a little league coach) but that swing looks like it needs a lot of work. I don't doubt the power, he looks jacked up. His swing looks pretty bad. If he gets signed on, he needs a coach that can get him into some consistent mechanics.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 02, 2016, 11:55 AM Post
I think it's comical that he was trained by Chad "Slow Roller" Moeller.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 02, 2016, 3:33 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
I'm not a big league scout (or even a little league coach) but that swing looks like it needs a lot of work. I don't doubt the power, he looks jacked up. His swing looks pretty bad. If he gets signed on, he needs a coach that can get him into some consistent mechanics.

Same swing as Travis Hafner had not sure that is good or bad.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 03, 2016, 12:36 PM Post
nate82 said:
RoCoBrewfan said:

Same swing as Travis Hafner had not sure that is good or bad.

Pronk had a handful of very good seasons until injuries caught up with him...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2016, 10:18 AM Post
Mets ended up signing him to a MiLB deal. Really this is a no lose situation. At worst one of their MiLB clubs is really happy by a spike in attendance. Best case he actually is decent enough to climb the ladder a bit and make multiple MiLB clubs happy...or baseball was his best sport all along and he becomes something.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2016, 10:44 AM Post
He's not even going to be available for all of the instructionals because of his ESPN job. Like I said before, this is a publicity stunt.

http://deadspin.com/this-is-how-you-kno ... 1786386379

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2016, 12:43 PM Post
MillerParkSouth said:
He's not even going to be available for all of the instructionals because of his ESPN job. Like I said before, this is a publicity stunt.

He's probably contractually obligated to do the ESPN gig and I'm sure ESPN isn't just going to let him out easily or cheaply.

The amount of hate this guy is getting is ridiculous. You'd think he's being gifted a major league starting job and guaranteed to hit cleanup while being paid $25M a year for 10 years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2016, 2:08 PM Post
I just dislike the guy on general principles. Apparently he has now signed with the Mets, which is very convenient for me, since I also hate them on general principles.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2016, 3:35 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
MillerParkSouth said:

He's probably contractually obligated to do the ESPN gig and I'm sure ESPN isn't just going to let him out easily or cheaply.

The amount of hate this guy is getting is ridiculous. You'd think he's being gifted a major league starting job and guaranteed to hit cleanup while being paid $25M a year for 10 years.

Has there been another player allowed to miss multiple days during instructionals for another non-related professional job? If not, why is he treated differently (we already know the answer to this)? This move 100% was publicity just like Garth Brooks in spring training

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2016, 4:24 PM Post
MKE81 said:
jerichoholicninja said:
MillerParkSouth said:

Has there been another player allowed to miss multiple days during instructionals for another non-related professional job? If not, why is he treated differently (we already know the answer to this)? This move 100% was publicity just like Garth Brooks in spring training

Why would they waste time for a Tebow publicity stunt? The Mets get absolutely nothing out of this. They must see some glimmer of talent or they wouldn't do it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2016, 4:31 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
MKE81 said:

Why would they waste time for a Tebow publicity stunt? The Mets get absolutely nothing out of this. They must see some glimmer of talent or they wouldn't do it.

$$$$, publicity. It's Business 101. Why did they have Garth Brooks in ST? Must have seen a glimmer of talent I guess

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2016, 6:11 PM Post
MKE81 said:
$$$$, publicity. It's Business 101. Why did they have Garth Brooks in ST? Must have seen a glimmer of talent I guess

Except there is no gain on this. The Mets will more than likely be on the losing end of this as the majority of business classes will tell you this is a dumb idea if you are looking at it as a purely as a marketing or publicity gimmick. The amount of money the Mets will have to give over for this will be a net negative.

Also what does Garth Brooks and spring training have to do with this? Teams do the celebrity and former players at spring training all the time. The majority of the time especially with celebrities is they normally pay for the opportunity to do this but you just never hear about it or it is for some charity event.

The difference between your example of Garth Brooks in spring training and this is that Tebow actually has some talent and has a slim chance of making it to MLB while Garth Brooks who more than likely paid his way onto the spring training roster had no chance hence why he was only there for spring training and not instructionals where there are no tickets sold.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2016, 6:25 PM Post
He is solely a gate attraction, and likely will embarrass himself once pro pitchers start throwing him curves, sliders, etc. Athleticism doesn't translate very well to hitting, especially when you haven't played for a decade.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2016, 7:34 PM Post
nate82 said:
MKE81 said:

Except there is no gain on this. The Mets will more than likely be on the losing end of this as the majority of business classes will tell you this is a dumb idea if you are looking at it as a purely as a marketing or publicity gimmick. The amount of money the Mets will have to give over for this will be a net negative.

Also what does Garth Brooks and spring training have to do with this? Teams do the celebrity and former players at spring training all the time. The majority of the time especially with celebrities is they normally pay for the opportunity to do this but you just never hear about it or it is for some charity event.

The difference between your example of Garth Brooks in spring training and this is that Tebow actually has some talent and has a slim chance of making it to MLB while Garth Brooks who more than likely paid his way onto the spring training roster had no chance hence why he was only there for spring training and not instructionals where there are no tickets sold.

How could this be a net negative? The Mets could have signed anyone else with zero experience in affiliated ball and it would have cost them the same amount and that guy would have the same chance of making it as Tebow.

I just can't understand the hate and vitriol over this.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2016, 7:53 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:

How could this be a net negative? The Mets could have signed anyone else with zero experience in affiliated ball and it would have cost them the same amount and that guy would have the same chance of making it as Tebow.

I just can't understand the hate and vitriol over this.

You misinterpreted what I said. If the Mets are doing this as a publicity stunt then it is a net negative which I don't believe the Mets are doing. They are bringing in a player that they think can play for them nothing more and nothing less.

To me this is more like when Jordan tried to play baseball. It was something that he wanted to do he tried and it didn't work out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 08, 2016, 8:52 PM Post
The problem is at first there is no publicity gain. He will likely not be in big league spring training and next year he would almost surely start out in Arizona rookie ball. He would have to make it to A ball to where pleasing an affiliate might do something for them. In rookie ball attendance boosts don't have any possible positive effects for the Mets. It's not like they are trying to lure themselves into a better location in rookie ball.

The other thing is it isnt like they can put him in big league camp and run ridiculous promos/merchandise to get extra money. If he isn't on the 40 man he hasn't signed any kind of licensing agreement.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 102 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply