LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 133 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)

Posted: March 12, 2017, 9:56 PM Post
I don't even think 2013 counts as a year as I don't believe he spent 90 days on an active list.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 13, 2017, 5:55 AM Post
Mass Haas said:
NOTE: RHP Adrian Houser is listed with just one option left now, he's the only one whose 2017 option has already been made and noted on the list as of Sunday afternoon.

Procedural questions, It seems likely to me that he is going to end up on the 60-day DL at some point anyway, couldn't the Brewers have saved an option at the expense of service time here?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)

Posted: March 13, 2017, 7:44 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
If they place him on the 60-day, they have to pay him full MLB salary, and he accrues service time. Could be they surmised burning an option was the lesser of two evils? If they want to avoid placing him on the 60-day all year, it's probably doable.

They also have until a few weeks into the season to reverse their decision, as the option only takes effect after 20 days into the regular season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 13, 2017, 11:34 AM Post
Can Houser be put on the 60-day DL AFTER being optioned, or is he now going to take up a spot on the 40-man all year? Seems like a waste of a spot that could be used on someone else.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 13, 2017, 11:35 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Yes, he can be placed on the 60-day DL at any time, provided the 40-man roster is full. He might technically have to be recalled (not to report) first.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 13, 2017, 12:10 PM Post
So there's no way to clear his 40-man spot at this point without letting his service clock run? Seems kinda dumb.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 13, 2017, 12:23 PM Post
I don't know, makes sense to me since everybody on the major league DL accrues service time and major league pay. I think ultimately it protects the player and something the union fought for during the years so that ownership didn't screw players that got injured while in the majors. Even today you will see players get optioned then rescinded and put on the DL because the player was hurt. Unfortunately for Houser he was hurt in the minors.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 13, 2017, 7:17 PM Post
http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/219203986/josh-hader-7-others-sent-to-minor-league-camp/

Hader, Jorge Lopez, Damien Magnifico and Taylor Williams were optioned to the Minors, with their affiliate assignments to be determined. Non-roster invitees Andrew Barbosa, Paolo Espino, Stephen Kohlscheen and Aaron Wilkerson were returned to Minor League camp

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 14, 2017, 3:26 PM Post

Roster Guru
Mass Haas said:
We're able to confirm option data with the Brewers 2017 media guide, so were able to fill in some blanks on the veteran acquisitions like Feliz and Thames, and thus the Brewerfan 40-man roster page including option data is now updated.

it's more accurate to state that thames has used two of his minor league options. his contract with the brewers stipulates that he cannot be optioned, even though he has a minor league option remaining. also, at the end of his contract, he will be short of the six years of service to declare free agency, but he will be allowed to declare free agency.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 22, 2017, 10:22 AM Post

Roster Guru
in old news, the brewers optioned a number of players in the past few weeks to the minors. provided they each spend at least 20 days optioned to the minor leagues once the mlb season starts, their number of remaining options entering 2018 spring training follow in parentheses. they can be recalled and sent back down throughout the 2017 season.

lewis brinson (2)
ryan cordell (2)
josh hader (2)
jorge lopez (1)
damien magnifico (1)
brett phillips (2)
taylor williams (2)

and in today's roster moves, these players were optioned. provided they each spend at least 20 days optioned to the minor leagues once the mlb season starts, their number of remaining options entering 2018 spring training follow in parentheses. likewise, they can be recalled and sent back throughout the 2017 season.

michael blazek (0)
michael reed (1)
yadiel rivera (0)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 22, 2017, 10:30 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Just to note, Lopez and Williams were optioned to AA. Everyone else (I believe) was optioned to AAA.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 22, 2017, 11:04 AM Post
The Brewers released Joba Chamberlain, I was really hoping he'd make the team. Oh well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 22, 2017, 11:21 AM Post
So the pen is sort of starting to come into focus.

Feliz
Torres
Marinez
Knebel
Milone?
Cravy?
Whoever the 6th man is in the rotation order?

That would be my best guess right now. Suter, Jungmann, and Barnes optioned.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 22, 2017, 11:33 AM Post

Roster Guru
And That said:
Just to note, Lopez and Williams were optioned to AA. Everyone else (I believe) was optioned to AAA.

michael reed was told he's to report to class aa to start the season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 22, 2017, 11:41 AM Post
I would assume Reed won't be on the 40-man for very long....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 22, 2017, 11:51 AM Post
It would appear that the only remaining move among position players is to option Susac once he is healthy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 26, 2017, 11:30 AM Post

Roster Guru
brent suter optioned to the minor leagues today. assuming he spends at least 20 days optioned in 2017, he will enter 2018 spring training with two minor league options remaining.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 28, 2017, 11:42 AM Post

Roster Guru
with today's claim of scooter gennett, the 40-man roster is at 39.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 02, 2017, 11:53 AM Post

Roster Guru
tyler cravy optioned to the minor leagues today. assuming he spends at least 20 days optioned in 2017, he will enter 2018 spring training with zero minor league options remaining.

jared hughes signed to a one-year deal, but the brewers can control for one season beyond this one as an arbitration-eligible player. hughes is out of minor league options. with this signing, the 40-man roster is full.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 03, 2017, 4:30 PM Post
With all the crap on our 40 man roster currently, we couldn't make room for a 22 year old that's throwing 98 with ridiculous movement.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/statu ... 3588276225

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 133 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply