LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next  [ 456 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

Author Message
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: September 01, 2018, 7:30 AM Post

Roster Guru
Posts: 2538
aaron brooks had his contract selected, and ariel hernandez was dfa'd and later outrighted to the minor leagues. brooks was later designated for assignment himself. if outrighted, brooks has the right to refuse the minor league assignment.

nate orf was outrighted to the minor leagues. he has to accept the assignment.

the brewers have seven days to decide what to do with jake thompson after designating him for assignment. if they successfully outright thompson, he will be forced to accept the minor league assignment.

xavier cedeno, gio gonzalez and curtis granderson fill out the 40-man roster via trades. cedeno has one more year of club control and is out of minor league options. gonzalez and granderson will be free agents at season's end.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: September 03, 2018, 1:24 PM Post

Roster Guru
Posts: 2538
aaron brooks traded to oakland to cash. jake thompson remains in the brewers' organization as he has been outrighted to the minor leagues.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: September 03, 2018, 1:37 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5158
Location: Three Lakes, WI
djoctagone said:
aaron brooks traded to oakland to cash. jake thompson remains in the brewers' organization as he has been outrighted to the minor leagues.


This is good news. Thompson has the type of arm that you want to keep in the organization. If they can get his command under control, he could be a solid pen asset next year.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: September 03, 2018, 4:56 PM Post
Posts: 593
djoctagone said:
alec asher did accept the outright assignment. he will be a minor league free agent at the end of this season.


Is the same true for Jake Thompson, i.e he'll also be a minor league free agent after the season (unless added to the roster)?

Also, they have seemingly both played in parts of 7 minor league seasons, and so would be minor league FAs at the end of the season in any situation where they were not on a 40-man roster at the end of the season, correct? Would the same be true of a player with, say, 4 years of minor league service time? As in, is it inherent in being outrighted that you become a minor league FA, or is it down to their minor league service time?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: September 03, 2018, 6:25 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9260
To bad Jake won't get time to work on his control since Colorado Springs is elimated


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: September 03, 2018, 6:56 PM Post
User avatar

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Posts: 11933
Thompson will be a minor league free agent after the end of the World Series unless the Brewers work out a deal with him for next season before then.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: September 04, 2018, 5:35 AM Post

Roster Guru
Posts: 2538
because the sky sox season has ended, the 10-day requisite stay for optioned players need no longer apply if the mlb commissioner approves the recall of the player.

thus, freddy peralta and taylor williams could be candidates for recall as soon as today.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: September 04, 2018, 7:47 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 7902
I've been sort of following the Sky Sox the last week or so to see if they would make the playoffs. The pitchers they've been putting out there are terrible and makes me wonder if Stearns and company manipulated their roster to make sure they missed the playoffs so the Brewers could have all their players available ASAP.

Also saw Dillard finished their final game and got an AB. Wonder if he's finally decided to call it a career.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: September 04, 2018, 10:03 AM Post
Posts: 1786
jerichoholicninja said:
I've been sort of following the Sky Sox the last week or so to see if they would make the playoffs. The pitchers they've been putting out there are terrible and makes me wonder if Stearns and company manipulated their roster to make sure they missed the playoffs so the Brewers could have all their players available ASAP.

Also saw Dillard finished their final game and got an AB. Wonder if he's finally decided to call it a career.


I would think if they were that concerned about getting them back asap, they just would have sent them to another minor league team that had no chance at the playoffs.

I don't think they were just throwing guys out to lose, they just don't have as many guys down there anymore in the first place (Brooks traded, and Woodruff, Davies planned to be up). And everyone they put out there seemed to get shelled. Wilkerson, Derby, Houser and Peralta all pitched multiple innings over the last four days of season.


Last edited by Roderick on September 04, 2018, 10:13 AM, edited 2 times in total.

 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: September 04, 2018, 10:04 AM Post
Posts: 2677
djoctagone said:
because the sky sox season has ended, the 10-day requisite stay for optioned players need no longer apply if the mlb commissioner approves the recall of the player.

thus, freddy peralta and taylor williams could be candidates for recall as soon as today.

According to Adam McCalvy they have to stay 10 days now after the most recent CBA but I can't find the particular rule where it states that.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: September 06, 2018, 7:05 AM Post

Roster Guru
Posts: 2538
Outlander said:
djoctagone said:
because the sky sox season has ended, the 10-day requisite stay for optioned players need no longer apply if the mlb commissioner approves the recall of the player.

thus, freddy peralta and taylor williams could be candidates for recall as soon as today.

According to Adam McCalvy they have to stay 10 days now after the most recent CBA but I can't find the particular rule where it states that.

it appears you're correct. the source on mlb.com that i have been citing was from 2016.

i wonder who pushed for this change. from a player's perspective, it may give a club pause in optioning a guy towards the end of august knowing that he's hands off for 10 days, but from the club's perspective, they have up to 15 guys to choose from to absorb the workload of that optioned player as soon as 1 september (plus any outside acquisition in late august).

taylor williams will be burning his second option and will enter 2019 spring training with one option remaining. if under the previous collective bargaining agreement, he wouldn't be forced to burn that second option.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: September 06, 2018, 1:21 PM Post
Posts: 2562
Doesn't a team NOT BURN an option on a player if they're not down for 20 days? Wasn't this how Broxton still had an option remaining going into this year even though he was optioned for the 3rd year in 2017?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: September 06, 2018, 1:45 PM Post
User avatar

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Posts: 11933
Assuming he gets recalled as soon as he is eligible, Williams will have spent 20 days in the minors. Beginning of the regular season (3/29) through 4/7 (10 days), and these most recent 10 days.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: October 29, 2018, 6:42 PM Post

Roster Guru
Posts: 2538
gio gonzalez, curtis granderson and wade miley elect free agency.

tyrone taylor has his contract selected by the brewers and will enter 2019 spring training with three minor league options.

the roster is at 38.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: October 29, 2018, 7:22 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1395
[size=50]Tell me about Q Torres-Costa and how he will be rostered next season.

If he is placed on the 60 day DL he will not use up a 40 man roster spot nor will he use an option, but he will accrue an entire year of MLB service time. Alternatively, they could burn an option year and keep him in the MilB DL where he would not accrue any service time but would take up a spot on the 40 man roster.

Is this correct, and what are the Brewers likely to do?
[/size]

Also: When is the Rule 5 draft? Is that also the first important deadline for these types of 40 man roster decisions?

EDIT: I see the tiny print above is being discussed in the Minor League forum. I should have checked there first.


Last edited by Oxy on October 29, 2018, 8:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.

 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: October 29, 2018, 7:37 PM Post
Posts: 476
Location: Milwaukee
Oxy said:
Tell me about Q Torres-Costa and how he will be rostered next season.

If he is placed on the 60 day DL he will not use up a 40 man roster spot nor will he use an option, but he will accrue an entire year of MLB service time. Alternatively, they could burn an option year and keep him in the MilB DL where he would not accrue any service time but would take up a spot on the 40 man roster.

Is this correct, and what are the Brewers likely to do?


He is not on the 40 man roster. Since he just had TJ surgery, it is very likely the brewers do not add him and risk losing him to the Rule 5. If a team selects him, they will have to keep him on the 60 man DL all of 2019 and then he needs to stay on their 25 man roster in 2020 in order to keep him. QTC has never been considered a top prospect so its hard to believe a team would do that, but I suppose it could happen. I think they risk exposing him to the draft.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: October 29, 2018, 9:14 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6687
djoctagone said:

tyrone taylor has his contract selected by the brewers and will enter 2019 spring training with three minor league options.

the roster is at 38.

Tyrone Taylor. Who would have thought he'd get to this point. He's mostly been forgotten.

We'll see how he does this year outside of Colorado.

2018 Home OPS: 1.016
2018 Road OPS: .635

Count me skeptical - but hey, the club knows more than I do. He's only 25, so perhaps he can be a late bloomer.

No matter - good for Tyrone. I hope he rakes and makes us take notice.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: October 29, 2018, 11:41 PM Post
Posts: 2562
The Taylor move seems a little curious and it's possible he still ends up a short-timer for the organization -- or maybe he makes it next year over either Broxton or Santana since they're both out of options. I like Kyle Wren, too, and he seems to outproduce Taylor, and wonder what's preventing him from being viewed as a useful MLB piece.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: October 30, 2018, 4:59 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10925
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Feels like Taylor should be 30 years old at this point.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: October 30, 2018, 5:32 AM Post
Posts: 3050
I wouldn’t burn a valuable 40 man on a guy who is unlikely to play in Milwaukee. I’m hoping this is short term.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next  [ 456 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test