LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  [ 455 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: November 30, 2018, 6:09 PM Post
coolhandluke121 said:

Seems clear that Cedeno took his spot.

LOL. They might just be giving up on the idea of keeping a roster spot for a LOOGY.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: November 30, 2018, 6:23 PM Post
Ya I think a LOOGY without an option isn’t great bet to last a full 162 on the roster given how the Brewers use their pen.

Jennings was used quite a bit in the first half as a conventional reliever. He wasn’t great against righties, but he was pretty effective overall.

I think this was a roster crunch consideration more than just a financial decision. (Broth DJ and XC were projected for ~$1.5 mm in arbi)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 11:35 AM Post
It will be interesting to see what Stearns does now with 4 open roster spots and an additional one opening up during Spring Training when Suter goes on the 60 day DL. Anticipate a lot of waiver claims the next couple of months, especially if he finds a lefty with options.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2018, 11:45 AM Post
take a flyer on a power arm for the pen and add a 2nd baseman

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2018, 5:41 AM Post
Does anyone know what Stearns meant when he said that Shaw back at third would be a "default scenerio"?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2018, 6:16 AM Post
rcc said:
Does anyone know what Stearns meant when he said that Shaw back at third would be a "default scenerio"?

I would imagine all he meant was that Shaw as our full time 3rd baseman going into 2019 is the tentative plan barring some acquisitions that are unforeseen at this point in time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2018, 10:04 AM Post
rcc said:

Sounds like putting Shaw back to third isn’t his top choice and that he would like to see him remain at second base. To me, it sounds like he’s looking at someone else to play third base, which I am all for. The lineup needs a shakeup since they were still fairly inconsistent this past season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2018, 10:19 AM Post

Roster Guru
i'm trying to remember when the brewers had so many players in a single off-season non-tendered. three seems quite high. granted, the number of arbitration-eligible players is quite high this off-season.

with the removal of xavier cedeno, dan jennings and jonathan schoop, the roster is at 36.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2018, 10:39 AM Post
RollieTime said:
rcc said:

Sounds like putting Shaw back to third isn’t his top choice and that he would like to see him remain at second base. To me, it sounds like he’s looking at someone else to play third base, which I am all for. The lineup needs a shakeup since they were still fairly inconsistent this past season.

I don't think that's what it means. The plan was for Schoop to be the 2B in 2019 had he shown anything at all. I just think he's got the door open for Moustakas to return for much less than he thinks he can get in FA. Personally I don't think Moustakas is going to get anywhere near the mutual option amount he turned down. I also think they are targeting Dietrich, and while he's played a lot of 2B. he might be slightly better at 3rd. A .949 career FP at 3B is pretty close to league average.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2018, 11:17 AM Post
Thanks for the responses.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2018, 11:50 AM Post
RollieTime said:
rcc said:

It doesn't mean it's his preference in my opinion. It just means they'll do that unless some better option comes along, which basically means they plan to put Shaw back at 3B but they're flexible if they find a 3B who can improve the team by keeping Shaw's bat at 2B.

Personally I can live with Shaw at 2B against RHP's. His bat isn't much of a plus at 3B, but it's huge at 2B. The shifts and the presence of Arcia make it something you can live with on defense.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2018, 4:39 PM Post
"Default scenario" doesn't imply anything negative. It means that's the plan, the operating assumption, UNLESS something comes along that creates an improvement on that existing plan.

We know Shaw's defense is better at 3B than 2B, not that he was anything poor at 2B either. 3B is Shaw's strength and that's why he's "the guy" there.

I think the only reason it changes is if the best 3B option available is more valuable/realistic/whatever than the best 2B option, to the point where they acquire that new 3B knowing they're comfortable enough to move Shaw to 2B.

Of course Shaw can also play 1B (probably more comfortably than 2B), as he'd done that in a few spots before, which may also be an option at least for a while in injury circumstances.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2018, 9:29 PM Post
Stearns said on the radio that moving Shaw to second last season was one conversation and to move him back there for future season would be a whole nother conversation. So basically, Shaw is our third baseman till some possible scenario comes around and they talk to Shaw and he OKs playing the season at second.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 11, 2018, 3:52 AM Post
Is there a good place to view the entire 40 man roster grid with options and contract status for each player?

EDIT: I just found this on Cots Contracts: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... c/pubhtml#

Which has everything I was looking for except for option status

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 11, 2018, 7:46 AM Post
Oxy said:
Is there a good place to view the entire 40 man roster grid with options and contract status for each player?

EDIT: I just found this on Cots Contracts: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... c/pubhtml#

Which has everything I was looking for except for option status

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=37695

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  [ 455 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply