LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next  [ 703 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: December 08, 2020, 7:56 PM Post
I remember when we had 4 catchers on the 24 man roster. Nilsson, Surhoff, Joe Oliver, Matheny. With Surhoff and Nilsson as starting OFs. Not sure if they had any other Catchers on the 40 man roster. Man that was an rough year to be a fan.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2020, 9:49 PM Post
There was a year somewhere in that same time frame when we kept having catchers get hurt. Bring in Dave Valle? Sure, and he starts hitting okay... and very quickly gets hurt... So we go get another. Rinse & repeat. It was surreal!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2020, 10:58 PM Post
ClosetBrewerFan said:
I remember when we had 4 catchers on the 24 man roster. Nilsson, Surhoff, Joe Oliver, Matheny. With Surhoff and Nilsson as starting OFs. Not sure if they had any other Catchers on the 40 man roster. Man that was an rough year to be a fan.

Weird thing with that is that Nilsson, Surhoff, and Oliver were all fine offensively. In fact, the first two were outstanding. Those bad teams were all about pitching. When Ricky Bones, Scott Karl, Cal Eldred (post 1993), etc are your top pitchers, you're in trouble. At least they made an effort when they signed Ben McDonald before his arm gave out

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 08, 2020, 11:27 PM Post
Matheny was always considered good defensively, but it took a long time before he became a competent major league hitter. It seemed for a while early on that the thing Garner/etc. liked best about Matheny was him taking down Willie Wilson in a spring training game when Wilson charged the mound. I'm glad he ended up having a good MLB career -- except that it came with the Cardinals.

Back then they also had Mike Stefanski as a prospect, but Matheny ended up ahead of him & Stefanski never earned a shot at the bigs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2020, 11:14 AM Post

Roster Guru
barring a trade (which is unlikely), the brewers will not be carrying a rule 6 player on their 40-man roster this season.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 10, 2020, 11:16 AM Post
Brewers passed in the rule 5 draft

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: December 10, 2020, 11:24 AM Post
Well that’s no fun! At least it would have given us something to talk about.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 12, 2020, 2:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
With so many catchers on the 40-man roster, what are the odds we will be trading from a position of strength there (capable MLB talent, not world-beater talents)? We have at least three guys without options, so I'd think we'd clean that up at least.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 21, 2020, 2:10 PM Post
Global Moderator
We have been talking about having our OF set with Garcia, Yelich, and Cain, but has anyone heard if Cain is actually planning on playing this year? Will there be an COVID opt-out option again?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 21, 2020, 2:25 PM Post
He’s planning on playing per CC

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 21, 2020, 2:31 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
We have been talking about having our OF set with Garcia, Yelich, and Cain, but has anyone heard if Cain is actually planning on playing this year? Will there be an COVID opt-out option again?

As of right now it is a normal season and no Covid-related changes. Sounds like MLB and the Union will meet in January.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 7:01 PM Post

Roster Guru
tim lopes has been claimed off waivers from seattle. he has all three minor league options intact, and has never been outrighted to the minor leagues.

the roster is at 37.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 21, 2021, 11:24 AM Post

Roster Guru
the daniel robertson deal is official. he is out of minor league options.

the roster is at 38.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 05, 2021, 9:04 AM Post

Roster Guru
the kolten wong deal is official. even though he was optioned to the minor leagues in 2014 and 2016, he never spent the requisite 20 days on optional assignment, and thus, appears to never burned any of his options. wong has enough major league service time to refuse any optional assignment by the brewers.

the roster is at 39 players.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 08, 2021, 7:56 AM Post
Global Moderator
Random question but has Lo Cain actually committed to this season? I was thinking about it last night and I guess just assumed because of all the talk about having him back, that he was playing, but don't remember actually hearing anything.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 08, 2021, 8:08 AM Post
RobDeer 45 said:
Random question but has Lo Cain actually committed to this season? I was thinking about it last night and I guess just assumed because of all the talk about having him back, that he was playing, but don't remember actually hearing anything.

Pretty sure Stearns was asked about Cain last week in his presser about Wong, and confirmed that he will be back for this season.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 08, 2021, 8:14 AM Post
Global Moderator
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
RobDeer 45 said:

Pretty sure Stearns was asked about Cain last week in his presser about Wong, and confirmed that he will be back for this season.

Cool, thanks! I had a moment of worry thinking, he still might not be 100% in for this season. I guess nobody is 100%, but you know what I'm saying.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 08, 2021, 9:12 AM Post
djoctagone said:
the daniel robertson deal is official. he is out of minor league options.

the roster is at 38.

I think he can be a sneaky good signing. I wouldn’t mind it if he and Urias play different spots a la Hernan Perez. Versatility is right in Counsell’s wheelhouse.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 08, 2021, 10:10 AM Post
I'm still thinking Zach Green could really be a sleeper at 3B and/or 1B.

His 2019 numbers at AAA were incredible - 1.039 OPS, 25 HRs in 297 PAs. He'll be 27 this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a big contribution from him this year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 08, 2021, 11:37 AM Post
SandyTolan said:
I'm still thinking Zach Green could really be a sleeper at 3B and/or 1B.

His 2019 numbers at AAA were incredible - 1.039 OPS, 25 HRs in 297 PAs. He'll be 27 this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a big contribution from him this year.

When did I miss this Zach Green signing, and what do we know about this guy (outside of what apparently was a really good year in AAA in '19)?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next  [ 703 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply