LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next  [ 703 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

Author Message
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: December 08, 2020, 7:56 PM Post
Posts: 643
Location: Milwaukee
I remember when we had 4 catchers on the 24 man roster. Nilsson, Surhoff, Joe Oliver, Matheny. With Surhoff and Nilsson as starting OFs. Not sure if they had any other Catchers on the 40 man roster. Man that was an rough year to be a fan.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: December 08, 2020, 9:49 PM Post
Posts: 2874
There was a year somewhere in that same time frame when we kept having catchers get hurt. Bring in Dave Valle? Sure, and he starts hitting okay... and very quickly gets hurt... So we go get another. Rinse & repeat. It was surreal!


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: December 08, 2020, 10:58 PM Post
Posts: 8374
ClosetBrewerFan said:
I remember when we had 4 catchers on the 24 man roster. Nilsson, Surhoff, Joe Oliver, Matheny. With Surhoff and Nilsson as starting OFs. Not sure if they had any other Catchers on the 40 man roster. Man that was an rough year to be a fan.


Weird thing with that is that Nilsson, Surhoff, and Oliver were all fine offensively. In fact, the first two were outstanding. Those bad teams were all about pitching. When Ricky Bones, Scott Karl, Cal Eldred (post 1993), etc are your top pitchers, you're in trouble. At least they made an effort when they signed Ben McDonald before his arm gave out


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: December 08, 2020, 11:27 PM Post
Posts: 2874
Matheny was always considered good defensively, but it took a long time before he became a competent major league hitter. It seemed for a while early on that the thing Garner/etc. liked best about Matheny was him taking down Willie Wilson in a spring training game when Wilson charged the mound. I'm glad he ended up having a good MLB career -- except that it came with the Cardinals.

Back then they also had Mike Stefanski as a prospect, but Matheny ended up ahead of him & Stefanski never earned a shot at the bigs.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: December 10, 2020, 11:14 AM Post

Roster Guru
Posts: 3421
barring a trade (which is unlikely), the brewers will not be carrying a rule 6 player on their 40-man roster this season.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: December 10, 2020, 11:16 AM Post
Posts: 8308
Brewers passed in the rule 5 draft


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: December 10, 2020, 11:24 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2295
Well that’s no fun! At least it would have given us something to talk about.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: December 12, 2020, 2:27 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6357
With so many catchers on the 40-man roster, what are the odds we will be trading from a position of strength there (capable MLB talent, not world-beater talents)? We have at least three guys without options, so I'd think we'd clean that up at least.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: December 21, 2020, 2:10 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6357
We have been talking about having our OF set with Garcia, Yelich, and Cain, but has anyone heard if Cain is actually planning on playing this year? Will there be an COVID opt-out option again?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: December 21, 2020, 2:25 PM Post
Posts: 8308
He’s planning on playing per CC


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: December 21, 2020, 2:31 PM Post
Posts: 138
CheezWizHed said:
We have been talking about having our OF set with Garcia, Yelich, and Cain, but has anyone heard if Cain is actually planning on playing this year? Will there be an COVID opt-out option again?

As of right now it is a normal season and no Covid-related changes. Sounds like MLB and the Union will meet in January.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: December 22, 2020, 7:01 PM Post

Roster Guru
Posts: 3421
tim lopes has been claimed off waivers from seattle. he has all three minor league options intact, and has never been outrighted to the minor leagues.

the roster is at 37.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: January 21, 2021, 11:24 AM Post

Roster Guru
Posts: 3421
the daniel robertson deal is official. he is out of minor league options.

the roster is at 38.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: February 05, 2021, 9:04 AM Post

Roster Guru
Posts: 3421
the kolten wong deal is official. even though he was optioned to the minor leagues in 2014 and 2016, he never spent the requisite 20 days on optional assignment, and thus, appears to never burned any of his options. wong has enough major league service time to refuse any optional assignment by the brewers.

the roster is at 39 players.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: February 08, 2021, 7:56 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 2439
Random question but has Lo Cain actually committed to this season? I was thinking about it last night and I guess just assumed because of all the talk about having him back, that he was playing, but don't remember actually hearing anything.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: February 08, 2021, 8:08 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2368
RobDeer 45 said:
Random question but has Lo Cain actually committed to this season? I was thinking about it last night and I guess just assumed because of all the talk about having him back, that he was playing, but don't remember actually hearing anything.


Pretty sure Stearns was asked about Cain last week in his presser about Wong, and confirmed that he will be back for this season.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: February 08, 2021, 8:14 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 2439
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
RobDeer 45 said:
Random question but has Lo Cain actually committed to this season? I was thinking about it last night and I guess just assumed because of all the talk about having him back, that he was playing, but don't remember actually hearing anything.


Pretty sure Stearns was asked about Cain last week in his presser about Wong, and confirmed that he will be back for this season.


Cool, thanks! I had a moment of worry thinking, he still might not be 100% in for this season. I guess nobody is 100%, but you know what I'm saying.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: February 08, 2021, 9:12 AM Post
Posts: 1143
djoctagone said:
the daniel robertson deal is official. he is out of minor league options.

the roster is at 38.


I think he can be a sneaky good signing. I wouldn’t mind it if he and Urias play different spots a la Hernan Perez. Versatility is right in Counsell’s wheelhouse.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: February 08, 2021, 10:10 AM Post
Posts: 140
I'm still thinking Zach Green could really be a sleeper at 3B and/or 1B.

His 2019 numbers at AAA were incredible - 1.039 OPS, 25 HRs in 297 PAs. He'll be 27 this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a big contribution from him this year.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 40-man roster discussion (part 2)
Posted: February 08, 2021, 11:37 AM Post
Posts: 819
SandyTolan said:
I'm still thinking Zach Green could really be a sleeper at 3B and/or 1B.

His 2019 numbers at AAA were incredible - 1.039 OPS, 25 HRs in 297 PAs. He'll be 27 this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a big contribution from him this year.


When did I miss this Zach Green signing, and what do we know about this guy (outside of what apparently was a really good year in AAA in '19)?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next  [ 703 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: remfire, The Beat Goes On, torts, wOOgiE22, zurch1818 and 17 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test